Justice Ch. 07: From the Grave

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your mother claimed she didn't know anything about that, and her memories back up that claim. The state later found evidence indicating that it had been laced by Michael before they left the States."

"Damn," I hissed. "Anything could've happened while they were gone."

"Exactly. In time, she became just another corrupt cog in an already corrupt bureaucracy. She knew who to manipulate and how. In short, your mother used her body to get what she wanted. She slept with all kinds of people - staffers, bureaucrats, politicians, you name it. Men as well as women."

"So basically, she became a bureaucratic whore screwing her way to the top," I said, not really surprised.

"Basically," Adrestia agreed.

"So, what happens now?" I asked.

"We take them into custody, and they face the music," Adrestia said. "Are you ready?"

"More than ready," I assured her, with heartfelt heat.

...

Anne/Anita and Douglas sat in her office, trying to locate the USS Idaho in hopes of contacting the submarine for an update, but neither of their computers seemed to work. Suddenly, the room got dark and cold.

"What the hell's going on?" Douglas asked, looking around apprehensively.

"I don't know," Anita replied. She picked up her phone to call Facilities, but there was no dial tone. Then she realized the digital clocks on her wall had stopped. They both saw a ripple in the darkness and three shadowy figures appeared in the room, a tall man in Western-style clothing, a petite blonde, and... Olivia.

"Who are you people? How did you get in here?" Anita demanded as she stood up.

"Shut the fuck up, bitch," Olivia growled as she slammed a fist into Anita's face.

...

I have to admit, it felt good slamming my fist into Anita's face. Douglas looked at her body sprawled out on the floor, her face bloody, then turned to me with rage on his face.

"How dare you assault your supervisor," he growled as he lunged toward me. He didn't get very far as my fist found its way to his throat, choking off whatever he was going to say. By now, Anita had managed to get back on her feet, although she was shaken. After wiping the blood off her face, she looked at me with hatred in her eyes.

"So, you managed to escape," she hissed. "Who are these people?"

"Name's Peace. Justice O. Peace," Eli stated quite emphatically and emphasizing the 'Justice' as he came forward, his eyes blazing like wildfire on the prarie. "I'm here to take you two in."

"And who are you?" Douglas asked the petite blonde as Eli produced a rope, seemingly from nowhere.

"I'm the judge who's going to make sure justice is finally carried out," Adrestia said calmly as Eli wrapped the rope around Anita and Douglas. "Let's go," she added.

The next thing I knew, we were standing in a long room at the end of a table. Eli sat on one side and motioned for me to join him, which I did, leaving Anita and Douglas at the end of the table. A door on one side opened, and a man in a suit entered, followed by two other men with Papa Charlie between them.

"John!" Anita declared, recognizing the attorney who represented her fifteen years ago, running to him. "Thank God you're here. You've got to get us out of here."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Anne. Or is it Anita now? No matter. Is this man Douglas Gordon?"

"Yes, this is Douglas. He... works with me. We were kidnapped by Olivia, that cowboy, and some little blonde floozy and brought here. Where are we, anyway? What's going on?" Anita asked, regaining a fraction of her belligerent attitude.

"What's going on is you, Gordon, and Papa Charlie are facing the consequences of what you've done to Olivia and others," John said quietly. "I'm here to represent you, but I must warn you..." He paused and looked her straight in the eye. "This is not like any court you're used to."

"What do you mean, facing the consequences?" Anita asked, suddenly frightened.

"The judge has already reviewed all of the evidence against the three of you. Her decision has been made, and there is no escaping it," John said quietly.

"Judge? Do you mean that little blonde airhead? She can't even be old enough to have graduated college. How is she a judge?" Anita demanded, incredulously.

"It would be best if you did not adopt that attitude during the hearing. That 'little blonde airhead' as you call her is older than the oldest human civilization, and she has the power, ability, and authority to consign your soul to eternal torment," John replied, leaving Anita stunned and confused.

"You've got to be kidding," Douglas piped up. "What about due process? A trial by jury? The right to address the charges against us, the right to face our accusers, and the right to appeal?"

"You must understand that this court is not part of the normal judiciary system, and the authority governing it is far above the Constitution. FAR," John emphasized. "You will be given a chance to face your accusers, and you will hear the charges against you. My best advice to you would be to throw yourselves at the mercy of the judge. In this court, hers is the final word."

"That's bullshit and you know it," Douglas hissed. "There is no authority over the Constitution, and I do not recognize whatever authority is running this so-called court. I'm getting outta here the first chance I get, and you'd better hope we never cross paths again. Do you have any idea who I work for?"

"Yes, I know all about you, Douglas Gordon, and I know who you work for, what you've done, and who you've done it to. And I'm telling you right now that the decisions made here today will have eternal consequences," John explained calmly. He took a breath and considered his three clients before continuing.

"Now, when that door opens, you will present yourselves to the court will all due respect. I will make your plea, and the evidence will be presented. Do not disrespect this court or this judge. Don't even think of lying. Finally, do not speak unless you are spoken to first. Understand?"

"Yes, we understand," Anita said quietly, elbowing Douglas into submission. The look on her face was like she had suddenly seen all of the ghosts of her past actions lined up in an imaginary jury box.

"Good," John said stiffly before turning to the front of the courtroom.

A few moments later, the huge double doors behind the tall dais opened, and a voice boomed over the room.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Adrestia Rhamnousia." Everyone in the room rose and a woman wearing a long white robe and carrying a double-edged sword entered the room. Her eyes shined brightly, and everyone could feel her gaze as she looked around the room. She sat behind the tall bench, placing her sword on the table before her.

"Be seated," she commanded. Everyone except Anita, Douglas, Papa Charlie, and his guards, and John took their seats. They had no seats and were forced to remain standing. After looking over some paperwork on the bench before her, Adrestia spoke.

"I have read the charges against all three of you," she said. "Rather than spend the next year reading them out loud, I have placed them on the monitors to your left." The entire wall suddenly became a series of high-definition monitors covered with very small writing. "How do you plead?"

"John Hultner for the defense, Your Honor. The defendants plead guilty to all charges," he said, prompting an outburst of anger from Douglas.

"I do not plead guilty, dammit," he exclaimed. John gave him a withering look.

"Shut up," John hissed.

"Yes, Mr. Gordon, you are violating the protocol of this court. One more outburst from you, and I will find you in contempt," Adrestia said with a very sharp edge to her voice.

"I do not recognize this so-called court, and I certainly do not recognize your authority, whoever or whatever you are," Douglas shouted. "In fact, I intend to do everything in my power to bring you and this... court... down!"

Adrestia stood and grabbed her sword. Her face shone brightly, but her eyes were even brighter.

"And I find you in contempt of this court," Adrestia replied, pointing her sword at Douglas. A bright beam of light leaped from the sword and enveloped Douglas' entire body. His body shook for a few moments. When the beam died, a small pile of ash lay on the floor where Douglas once stood. A few moments later, a device similar to an automated floor cleaner rolled up, collected the ashes, and then rolled away with a quiet purr.

"I trust there will be no further outbreaks," Adrestia said, looking at the two remaining defendants, now ashen-faced and trembling.

"No, Your Honor, I don't believe there will be," John said, calmly. "I apologize, Your Honor. I did warn my client."

"Very well, Counselor," Adrestia said, replacing the sword. She looked at a piece of paper on her bench before continuing. "I see you have a motion of leniency for Mr. Charles Toto, a.k.a., Papa Charlie."

"Yes, Your Honor," John said. "Mr. Toto has been quite cooperative with the investigation."

"Is that true, Ranger?" Adrestia asked, looking at Eli.

"Yes, Your Honor," Eli said, standing. "He was very cooperative. And seemed genuinely repentant."

"I see," Adrestia said. Turning her attention to the large dark man, she continued. "Mr. Toto, although this court has already found you guilty of the charges leveled against you, it is not without mercy. In recognition of the original intent of your revolution against corrupt local authorities, the orders given to your militants for behavior toward civilians, and your protection of underage hostages, this Court is minded to be merciful.

"This does not offset the later crimes committed by yourself and those under your command, of which you are indeed guilty. Because of your cooperation in the investigation of the primary defendant, confirmed by Ranger Peace, I hereby suspend your punishment pending the outcome of your trial by the authorities in Madagascar."

Adrestia glared imperiously at Charlie, her eyes even brighter. The man shook violently as he felt his soul being pulled back from the brink of oblivion. "Trust me when I say you do not want to be in my courtroom ever again. You are free to go. For now." The sword on her desk glowed briefly.

"Thank you, Your Honor," Charlie wept as a bailiff released his shackles. He disappeared in a bright flash of light, leaving Anita the only defendant remaining.

"And now, the central figure in this 20-year-old saga of deceit, treason, murder, and hubris. Anne Coleman, a.k.a., Anita Coles, this court has examined every minute of your life in hopes of finding even one moment to justify extending mercy to you. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything," Adrestia stated flatly.

A door opened in the wall in front of me and I saw six figures step through. I had to focus on identifying them as they were surrounded by a bright aura. As they came into the room, I recognized them - my father, along with the five members of the team killed by Papa Charlie's men.

Anita's face turned white as she saw the man she had left to die - her former husband. Her eyes grew wide as the giant monitor on the wall above them played the scene of her leaving him that day for a month-long vacation in Cancun.

"But I'm dying," Andrew told Anne in the video as she prepared to leave.

"Don't be silly. You'll survive," Anne shot back as she closed the door.

More videos played, showing Anne with various men, some she was using and some she was letting use her, but her attention was drawn to the man she was once married to.

"I loved you with all my heart, Anne. Everything I did was for you and Olivia. But you stabbed me in the back multiple times, then left me to die without even giving me a chance to say goodbye to my daughter," Andrew said.

"I didn't know you were dying, Andrew," Anne cried.

"No, you knew that you had just killed me with your words. You might not have known about the tumor physically killing me, but you just didn't care," Andrew replied. "There's a difference."

"In fact, Anne Coleman, the only thing you have ever cared about is you," Adrestia interjected. "Even when you were given a chance to make things right, you played the system, manipulated those around you, and managed to sleep your way into a position of power. All so you could feather your own nest, regardless of the cost.

"You spent years conspiring to get your hands on your daughter's inheritance. When you saw an opportunity to get her back under your control, you used your feminine wiles to secure her orders. Once she was in your command, you plotted with Douglas Gordon to set her team up."

The video on the wall showed Anne in bed with Gordon, talking about how they could set Olivia and her team up for failure. They had just finished a rousing tryst, and Gordon was putty in her hands.

"But you never intended to follow through with your promise to Douglas, did you, Anne?" Adrestia asked. "In fact, you were already scheming to set him up as well, weren't you? ANSWER ME!"

"Yes," Anne replied softly.

"The truth is you have betrayed absolutely everyone in your life. Your husband, even your own flesh and blood. Five good men were killed as a result of your betrayal. You would have to improve to be merely evil, and then you would still be a despicable creature," Adrestia stated with a hint of sadness.

"Therefore," she added, "it is the judgment of this court that you face the punishment for treason... for ALL TIME! Bailiff, get this... person... out of my sight. Court is adjourned," she stated, picking up her gavel.

Adrestia brought the gavel down hard, and the room was bathed in a bright flash of light. When the light died away, I found myself outside standing in a crowd with Eli and Adrestia. We were not far from a pock-marked brick wall. A lone post was positioned in front of the wall.

I saw a formation of soldiers wearing Civil War-style uniforms carrying old-style muskets and marching resolutely forward, slowly, to the steady tapping of a drum and the mournful call of a bugle. My birth mother, now sobbing uncontrollably, was practically dragged forward, and positioned at the post. A soldier tied her to the post, her hands behind her back.

He finished and walked away, not even offering a blindfold; she was SUPPOSED to see it coming. Anne looked at me with tears flowing down her face like streams. The teardrops pattered into the dust at her feet, leaving tiny damp craters. I saw her mouth, "I'm sorry," but I felt no compassion for her. I felt empty.

A man in a blue officer's uniform drew his sword, which flashed in the sunlight, and issued his command. The formation turned as one to face Anne.

"READY!"

The rifles came up.

"AIM!"

"AIM!"

The.58 caliber Springfield rifles came down and pointed straight at the spot where I knew my mother's black heart was beating wildly in her chest, as if it were trying to run away and hide. A strangled scream managed to escape her throat. The muzzles did not waver.

"FIRE!"

<KRACK!>

My view of her chest turning crimson was obscured by thick grey clouds and my nose assaulted by the acrid sting of burnt black powder. The scream abruptly ended.

The next thing I knew, we were standing in Adrestia's gallery. Max had placed a portrait on the wall in the space reserved for my birth mother. I looked at the portrait and saw a broken woman with tears pouring down her face tied to a post in front of the wall.

"Is she..."

"Dead?" Adrestia filled in the question I couldn't ask. I nodded my head in jerks. Adrestia considered her response carefully, looking at me as if searching my soul. "No. And yes. The scenario resets just after the bullets strike her body." She waved a hand at the legions of suffering paintings around us. "In most of these judgments, the guilty one is suspended forever in a single moment of extreme terror or suffering.

"That woman suspended forever above the shark's maw; her soul caught forever in the excruciating anticipation of all those serrated teeth shredding her betraying body. That woman feeling, smelling... and tasting... FOREVER... the endless demon excrement pouring into her traitorous mouth.

"Anita Coles was responsible for far more deaths than just your five teammates over her long and less than illustrious career. Oh, she ensured that the objective was met; hostages freed, trafficking victims rescued, traffickers captured or killed. She would not have been promoted otherwise. But she nearly always had an ulterior motive, a secondary objective, which she saddled missions with.

"Recovery of loot or ransom; diaries or hard drives with Swiss bank account numbers." Adrestia's mouth was a tight, straight line. "Most of which did not find its way to victim's compensation funds or even the appropriate authorities as per the law. They found their way into HER secret offshore accounts. People were wounded or maimed or killed because of her greed, people who would have otherwise been unharmed if they had only been ordered to pursue the primary objective.

"Because of all of that death and suffering, it is my judgment that she feels her own death... over and over... endlessly. Knowing that she will not be ALLOWED the escape of true death. That is her punishment for betraying everyone in her life. Especially the child she gave birth to, which is a sacred bond." She looked at me sternly, implacably. "Are you okay with all of this?"

"I... suppose," I stammered. I was a combat veteran sniper with an impressive kill count, but this petite, beautiful woman was literally terrifying.

"Are you having second thoughts now, Olivia?" Adrestia asked, her brows furrowed. Eli and Max fixed their gazes on me; their expressions completely neutral. "After everything she's done? To you, your father, and your team? To all her victims?"

"I agree she deserves to be punished. Severely. It's just..." I couldn't articulate the thought. Desperate for help, I looked at Eli.

"Just what?" Eli asked prompted, kindly.

"When I was a child, she would punish me when I acted up. Sometimes, she spanked me. Other times, she would send me to my room. But the punishment eventually ended, and she would take me in her arms, kiss me, and tell me she loved me. It just seems that at some point, the punishment needs to end," I said. "Otherwise, it simply becomes torture for its own sake." But I wasn't finished. I suddenly recalled a memory that I thought I had long forgotten.

"I remember reading about a Marine general who once said that justice tempered with mercy does not mean a slackening of discipline," I added earnestly with more assurance than I felt.

"That was John A. Lejeune. A very good man. The exact quote is, 'Be kindly and just in your dealings with your men. Never play favorites. Make them feel that justice tempered with mercy may always be counted on. This does not mean a slackening of discipline.' Is that what you are referring to?" Adrestia asked, slowly looking more thoughtful. For a horrible moment, I felt I was being judged.

"Yes," I replied. "After all, you showed a measure of mercy to Papa Charlie."

"Yes, I did. But he earned it with his cooperation. And, believe it or not, his crimes were less egregious than those of Anita Coles."

"So, what would she have to do to earn a measure of your mercy?" I asked, glancing at the forlorn figure in the painting, once again being dragged to the post.

Adrestia followed my gaze, and I could see her mind working. After a few quiet moments, a smile began to form on her face.

"Olivia Coleman, you are wise beyond your years. Many of the human race do not comprehend that one of the professions most needful of compassion is that of a soldier," she finally said. "I will grant your request." She looked at the portrait before continuing. "Until now, that ground has not seen a drop of water in over 100 years. If... and it's a big if... your birth mother's tears can cause even one dry seed to germinate, I will release her from her torment."

1...345678