Karma is a Journey

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sat there as a bystander as the second woman I had ever loved and her husband declared their love to one another. Right after she had told him she was carrying my child.

It had taken some time for me to come to grips with that. And to be honest, I was having issues with it when the opportunity to work on Margaret Morison's campaign came along. Needing some time to come to grips with the situation, I took the offer and let Roger and then Meredith know.

"Are you bailing on me?" she had asked.

"No," I replied. "But I do need the time to get a grasp on all this."

"I think you are running away Brett," she replied. "Just like you did with Lori."

"No, I am not," I pretested. But in a way I was. "I am not going to abandon you or my obligations to the child. But I need some time to get my head around this. Plus, this opportunity may not come again professionally."

"Brett Butler, if you ditch the child and me, I will be so pissed at you."

"I won't," I had replied. "I love you."

"I'm going to hold you to that," she replied, pulling me close. "I love you too. Don't you forget it."

***

The next few months were hectic. I was out of town a lot, travelling with the Morrison campaign. Whenever I had time, I came back home to San Diego. And there were times that Meredith came to visit me on the campaign trail.

Roger had his fuck buddy to keep him busy, and when I was not there, they were apparently becoming closer. I still had problems with it and often entertained daydreams of her and I living together as a conventional couple.

I needed advice. A friend to talk to I could trust. Patricia was the only person I could think of. Meredith knew of Patricia. When I told her that I needed her guidance, she was ambivalent.

"Are you going to go get laid by your old girlfriend?" she asked. "Because I can deal with that. You hooking up with her and leaving me in the lurch is something I will never forgive you for?"

"I'm going for advice," I had replied.

"Advice?" she asked incredulously. "You are going to visit an old lover, and you are not going to give the old girl a romp? What's wrong with you?"

"Meredith, you are something else!"

"Don't you forget it."

***

And off to Boston, I went - to visit my wise woman on the mountain top.

"What the fuck is wrong with you Brett?" Patricia had asked after I told her everything. "What do you mean you are having problems with this? Your friend and his wife sound like good people. They helped you when you needed it. Hell, your friend Roger even let you have a crack at his wife and knock her up.

"On top of that, they will be raising your child for you when you are on trips? And did I hear right, the husband promoted you and is holding your job open for your return?"

"Yeah, but..."

"But what?"

"Patricia, I always wanted a wife and family."

"Well, you had a wife, and that went to shit. Now you have a family, and you're complaining. If you wanted a boring vanilla life Brett, pumping your friend's wife full of cum was not the way to it."

"So, what do I do?"

"For fuck's sake, Brett, grow up. You have a child on the way."

"Patricia, it's just not the way I had hoped life would be."

I would have expected her to admonish me. Instead, Patricia gazed back at me with a loving and caring look.

"Life is never what we want, my darling. It has twists and turns, ups and downs. But it is the life we each have. Do you think I wanted to be a widow? To lose the love of my life?"

I shook my head no, knowing she was still unhappy.

"Take what life has offered you Brett. It is more than most people have. There is a woman who loves you and will have your baby. So she still loves her husband. You have a lot more going for you than most people in this world. You do love her, don't you?"

"Yes, I just never thought I would have to share the woman I loved. It's what ended Lori and I."

After leaving Atlanta and my divorce, I had told Patricia the entire sordid story of Lori and I. She had listened and been understanding.

"You know, my dear Brett. You talk of women you love as if they are your property."

"No!" I replied in protest. "I loved Lori, and I love Meredith. I just don't want to share them."

"Oh, little Brett doesn't want to share his toys," she said mockingly.

I was surprised she would talk to me this way. She never had before.

"You know why I never let us get too close Brett?" she didn't give me the chance to reply. "You are a possessive child of a man. You think women should be your loyal pets - your ornaments. Well, we're not your property. We don't live in the middle ages anymore Brett.

" I saw your nature when you were younger and hoped to help you grow into a decent man. But I am beginning to think you are hopeless."

"Am I now?"

She just stared back at me with arms crossed.

"You came here for advice. I gave it. Now lock the door on your way out. I have a rendezvous with a young man with more promise than you. He may not be as good in bed yet, but he has what you lack. Common sense. Goodnight Brett."

***

The new job with the campaign was consuming. But time passed quickly, and soon the election came. After a close day of counting exit polls, Margaret Morison was declared the winner and became the junior senator from California.

And I returned to San Diego to my position as senior VP and father of a baby boy Meredith, and I named Robert after my father. My name was on the birth certificate, while Roger was the godfather.

The three of us settled our three-way relationship by moving into a hillside five-bedroom home that had plenty of room for us three and the baby. I kept my place as both Roger and I used it on nights the other had his turn with Meredith. I was willing to share her with her husband, but not in the same bed - much to her disappointment, I'm sure.

We had a good year together before Senator Margaret Morison called and offered me a job with the Federal Trade Commission. Her party was in charge, but she wanted me to be her eyes and ears there. That I made contacts that later brought me the wealth and power I had sought was a pleasant and well-deserved perk.

True to her word, Meredith became pregnant with Roger's child. For the next year after baby Celia was born, I returned to San Diego each weekend onboard a government charted flight that flew the California congressional delegation home. It was Roger who suggested that Meredith come stay with me in DC every other week. He and his PA had a relationship of their own by then, so she filled in when Meredith was with me at the national capital. Yes, it was a different lifestyle, but it seemed to work for us.

***

Well, well! What have we here?

It had been over three years since my divorce, and I was still working at the FTC. Meredith had just left with little Robie to return to San Diego, so I returned to my "lone wolf" mode as Meredith called me being alone in DC.

She knew I had a girlfriend of sorts there and had met her, but they go along. Tasha was a stunning African American staffer for a conservative black senator from the south. Go figure. But we had a good rapport. She was fine with my relationship with Meredith, and I was OK with her being separated from her husband. The husband was a war hero Marine... who was gay and had issues coming out. So they kept up appearances, and I was "filling in" for him. Get it... filling in? OK, bad puns are not my thing. I'll stop. Anywhoo, Tasha Greenwood was my DC wife as she called herself, and Major Robert Greenwood was off doing Marine things where ever the Marines needed him. Everyone was happy.

I came into my office, stopping at my assistant's desk.

"Morning Elsie," I greeted my PA.

"Good morning Mr Butler," she replied, picking up her tablet to follow me into my office. "You have two meetings this morning and one this afternoon with the New York Federal reserve people today. They are leaving tomorrow."

"Thank God for that. Bunch of stuck up a-holes."

"Try not to say that during the meetings, Mr Butler."

"Just getting it out of my system here with you. What about the rest of the week?"

"Easy day tomorrow, a meeting over with Senator Morison Wednesday. Her staffer says she is introducing you to some of her donors. You may lose your virginity again, so be careful."

"I'll keep that in mind. And Thursday?"

"Randal Pierson the third had to rush home with his mother in the hospital, so you get to fill in at his meeting Thursday morning. It's with PeachState Holdings. Their CEO is..."

"Duke Ashford," I completed her sentence.

"You know him!" she asked, a bit surprised. "Does he have a California connection?"

"Nope," I said, sitting back on my leather chair. "He and I met in Atlanta, where I lived years ago."

"Ah, a business contact?" she looked up, a bit concerned. "If the two of you have worked together before, there is going to be a conflict of interest. We will need to find a replacement for you."

"Mr Ashford and I never did business together," I said, contemplating if him fucking my ex-wife constituted a conflict of interest in government world. But I was curious.

"But I know of him. I met him and his wife at a gala. What do they want from the FTC?"

"You didn't bang his wife, did you?" Elsi asked.

"No, Elsie, I most definitely did not, although she is quite bangable. Ex Ukrainian super-model and all."

"I know who she is," Elsie replied. "I think half the men in this country would line up at a shot at her."

"More than half," I replied. "So back to PeachState Holdings and Duke Ashford. What do they want?"

"They want a favourable ruling on some of our regulations regarding a future acquisition. If we rule favourably, they stand to gain a lot financially. Be careful."

"Don't worry. I won't accept a bribe."

"Stop joking about that in government offices. Even a joke can get us in trouble for that. I like my job and want to keep it."

"You have nothing to worry about. I'm the political appointee here. OK. Unless you got anything else for me, I'll try and catch up on some email and finish my coffee."

"Try not to spill it on your suit," Elsie said as she walked out.

She could be as insolent as she wanted. Without Elsie, I would be lost navigating the halls of power in Washington. She either knew or found a way to make a connection with the Pas of people I had dealings with. Sometimes I thought people like Elsie Garcia ran our country. It couldn't be the politicians of either party. Don't get me started on that. As the android in Balde Runner said: "I've seen things...."

Duke, fuckin Ashford!

Well, well! And he was coming to me for something he needed. I was going to relish this coming meeting and seeing Duke again. That evening, I went to the local library and fired up one of their PCs so my search would not be monitored. Sure enough, PeachState Holdings was listed, and under their website, I saw a listing and pictures of their CEO Duke and his top staff. His was a picture of power and arrogance. But not far under his was the picture of his VP for Public Relations. None other than Gail Rudenko-Ashford.

Gail looked as stunning as ever. Maybe not as good as when she had been the twenty-year-old sensation everyone called Simply Gail. Her actual name had been Galyna. I thought that would have been a perfect name for an East European model, but she had chosen a western name -- get this: To be different!

And sure enough, when the PeachState Holdings entourage trooped into the large conference room, both Duke and his gorgeous wife were in the front of the line. I have to give it to Duke. He kept his composure as introductions were made and hands were shaken. Yeah, this was pre covid. We shook hands then.

Simply Gail, or Galyna, gave me a slight smirk as we locked gazes. Duke noticed, and I can't deny it - I was glad he did. Making him sweat was my goal of the meeting. There were no snide comments, no smirking, or inuendoes. All I did was stay on the topic of the meeting by asking questions of the PeachTree Staff. My gaze went to all of them, not just to Duke. But from time to time, I would look at him or Gail. It was enough for them to know what has started long ago was not over.

'You're in my world now bitches!' I thought inwardly as they tried to keep their cool.

There was no need for me to say anything untoward or threatening. They both knew what was expected of them. They had to, what with our past and all. We all knew where this was going, but I had to be careful. The meeting was being taped. Every word I said could come back to me. So I waited until the meeting was near the end.

"That wraps it up for the day. The FTC ruling on the matter will be made public on our website sometime next month. Thanks, everyone."

My staff and Dukes began to stand, and I walked out with them to the hallway. Duke was smart enough to dismiss his staff as I waited for him to. When the hallway cleared, it was only the three of us - Duke, myself and Gail.

"Where are you staying? I asked.

"The Four Seasons in 2800 Pennsylvania Avenue. Do you know..."

"Oh, you would stay there," it was the most expensive place in town. All the upper-crust stayed there so they could be seen. "And I know where it is."

"Why do you ask?" Duke said with controlled apprehension.

"So I know where the three of us are having dinner tonight."

"We have plans," Duke said, trying to use the voice on me.

You know "the voice." The one influential people use on those they see as beneath them. It's a mixture of gentility and scorn all in one. It says I am too refined to demean you openly but am too above you to waste time on you.

"That's OK," I replied. "You can go. Galyna will go to diner with me. Won't you dear?"

She flinched at my using her old country name. But she did not protest. Instead, she looked at Duke with a resigned look. The look on his face, I had seen before.

"There is no 96,000 dollar necklace tonight, Duke," I said to remind him of what he had offered my ex-wife for sex. Then I leaned in close for only him to hear. "But there WILL be a pearl necklace. You get my drift, don't you?"

He gave me this hateful look but didn't say anything to stop Gail/Galyna from leaving with me. On the way there, I had called Tasha to let her know I would be busy with work that night and that I would see her the next day. This had been long coming, and I would not pass it up.

Gail and I had dinner on her husband's dime and chatted. Before we did, I had her give me her phone and purse, giving it to our waiter to keep safe until I requested it. She never protested or complained.

"You seem to have landed on your feet Brett," she observed.

"Hard work, good friends and luck," I replied as I refilled her glass. "And before you try guilt to make me excuse you for the night, it won't work."

"You have become a hard person."

"Yes, I have become the person you, Duke and my ex-wife made me," I responded coldly. "Your husband is lucky I didn't make him watch. But the price of what he wants from me is you. Let's see if he wants the money that this ruling will make him bad enough. You know he can still come here and stop me. Stop you."

"I am only doing it because you are making me to," she replied.

"Bullshit. How do you say bullshit in Ukranian anyway?" I asked mockingly, but she tried to ignore me. "You are doing it because you are going to make something happen for you and Duke that he can not. Only you can. And in doing so, you have the power, and he does not.

"You want to have sex with me because I have the power, and you are drawn to it like a moth to a flame Galyna.

"You want to make sure you stay away from Rudka near the Dneiper River. That poor little house and small town you came from. You want to make sure that you can never be poor again. Oh yes, I have researched you, Galyna Rudenko. I understand your motivation and respect it. Not enough to let you off the hook. But more so than that slime of a husband you have.

"I want Duke to know that until the decision is made, you will be my personal whore."

"How long."

"A month."

"How? I have to see our kids. I can't stay here."

"Oh, I didn't say all the time, Galyna. We will work on a schedule. Tomorrow, you tell Duke that you will rent a villa out in Merryland for you and the kids. Do you have a nanny you trust to bring along?"

"Yes."

"Good. Later you can have your phone to call the kids."

***

Somehow I managed to juggle three women in the process of that month without being fucked to death by them. I went to San Diego to see my son and Meredith twice. Knowing it was my time with her, Roger went to my old place with whichever woman he lined up as Meredith, and I played house.

On those weekends, I cut Gail/Galyna loose to take the kids and her used self back to her husband in Atlanta. I sent her back with a full tank both times, fucking her right before her flight home, not allowing her to clean herself. I wanted Duke to have evidence of what I was doing to his wife.

What good is having power and not using it, right? Duke wanted something from me, and I took my government time giving it to him. He deserved it. I saw him once when Duke came to my place to pick Gail up. She was getting ready as he and I chatted by his Escalade.

"You know," he said, trying to be snide. "Lori works for me."

I knew that but kept silent. My ex was running Duke's HR department.

"I still fuck her. More so lately. She still squirms and tells me I'm bigger than you are."

I nodded and made a note to adjust his insolence.

"You just added a week to Gail's stay in DC," I replied. "And when you bring her back, I want you to watch."

"The hell I will!"

"Then I should rule on your request against you now. Is that what you want? Think of all the profit you will miss out on. And then Gail will have put out for me for nothing. What do you think she will think of you then, Duke?"

This time he kept his mouth shut. Unlike me, Duke was willing to do anything for the financial gain he wished.

"Give my ex-wife my best. Who calls themself Duke anyway? You don't look like John Wayne. Oh, there's Gail. She looks stunning, considering what I was doing to her less than 30 minutes ago."

"Are you boys behaving?" she said with a smirk at us both.

Simply Gail or Galyna was enjoying herself and her husband's discomfort a little too much by this point in our arrangement. As if there is such a thing.

"I left her tank full for you," I whispered in his ear.

***

The month went by too quickly for me. Slowly for Gail/Galyna. I had stopped calling her Gail. Reminding her where she was from was a good control tool. And she and her husband came from a world where only control and power mattered. I lived in that world as well in Washington. As Obi-Wan said in Starwars IV, "You never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." He meant the mythical space-port of Moss Eisley, but take my word for it. Washington D.C. is no different.

The thing is that even after the five-week month ended, Gail would find a way to show up in DC to "visit." Between her, Meredith and Tasha, I was burning the candle at three ends. Tasha was getting most of me when I was in DC. But Galyna was and remained a treat to behold.

I saw Duke in the end. He looked different to me. I could say he was broken, but he was too much a survivor for that. Let's just say he was momentarily humbled. He probably spent the following years plotting his revenge against me. But by the point I used his wife as my whore as he had done to mine, I had amassed a circle of influential friends to shield me from scum like Ashford.

One of those friends was the good Senator Margaret Morison. And she became President Morison. Her list of friends surpassed Duke Ashford's by a mile.