Kiss the Darkness Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your majesty!" He gasped. "I was just tending to the fire, majesty. I'll go about my other chores now if you wish."

Christian laughed. "You're fine, Reece. I see you've met my husband."

Reece looked at Alexander, his face marked with confusion. "Husband?"

"That's right." Christian told him. "This is Alexander, my husband."

Reece bowed at once. "I'm sorry your majesty." He gasped. "I didn't realize."

"It's perfectly alright." Alexander smiled kindly at the boy. "I enjoyed our conversation very much."

The boy looked up hesitantly, expecting to be scolded but relaxed when Christian sat down next to Alexander, clearly not angered at either the boy or Alexander.

Alexander gave Christian a mock frown and pretended to pout a bit. "I think you've frightened this delightful child beyond words. What can we do about this?"

"Hm." Christian put his hand to his chin as he pretended to ponder the situation. "I think I know just the thing. Reece?" He addressed the boy.

"Yes, your majesty?" Reece was visibly shaken, not knowing what either of the men had in mind. He was certain now that he was going to get a lashing for addressing Prince Alexander so informally.

"You see that tray of dark chocolates over there?" Christian pointed to the small round table near one of the large windows that over looked the court yard. "Bring that tray here, please."

Reece nodded at once then scurried across the floor to the table where he picked up the tray and carefully carried it to the Prince. The tray was such a large thing, silver and sparkling. Reece looked so tiny carrying it in his hands. He was very graceful though and never stumbled a bit. He brought the tray to the table before the couch and set it down gingerly.

"Excellent." Christian said to the boy. He picked up one of the chocolates and looked it over. "These are a real delicacy. They're made by a man and his wife in Nohar. I tasted one the summer of my fourteenth year and fell madly in love with them. I've ordered monthly shipments of them ever since." He handed the one he held to Alexander, then picked up another and took a huge bite out of it. Alexander did the same and his eyes widened when he tasted the sweetness of the candy.

"It's the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in my life!" Alexander beamed.

Reece stood watching them, his mouth watering but he said nothing. Christian smiled as he watched the boy. "Have you ever had a treat like this?" He asked him.

Reece shook his head. "No, my Lord." He said softly.

"Well that is just not right." Alexander frowned.

"I agree. It's a travesty." Christian picked up another chocolate and held it in his hand as he looked at Reece. "How good are you at keeping secrets?" He asked him.

Reece blinked. "Oh I can keep secrets!" He grinned. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

Christian laughed as he handed the boy the chocolate. "Then keep this secret between us and there will be more sweets for you later, when you've finished your chores." He winked at the boy as he eagerly snatched the candy from his hand and stuffed it into his mouth.

Alexander was delighted when he saw the boys face light up. Such a simple act yet it truly had made the boys day. "Go on now." Alexander told the boy. "Don't let us keep you from your duties."

Reece nodded, bowed, then hurried out of the room.

Christian grinned and leaned back against the couch. "I think you've made a friend." He joked.

"He's a sweet boy." Alexander smiled. "But so young to be a servant. When does he have time to play and be a child?"

"Oh I wouldn't worry about that." Christian laughed. "I often take him with me when I have special duties for him to preform. Like, oh, let me think. Swimming in the lake, hunting dragons, or fighting off ferocious monsters."

"Hunting dragons hm?" Alexander raised an eyebrow and grinned. "And, how many of these dragons have you captured?"

"Not a one." Christian laughed. "But we keep trying."

Alexander rested his head against Christian's shoulder. "You never cease to amaze me. You're the crown prince, you have so many duties and responsibilities, though you still find the time to go off and play games with a servant boy. Is there anything that you can not do?"

"It's nothing really." Christian told him. "Reece's parents were killed when he was three and my mother had fallen in love with him. She unofficially decided to take him under her wing and allowed him to remain here in the castle under the care of the gardener and his wife. They're older but since they'd never had children of their own they were delighted and welcomed him into their family with open arms. When he turned eight I started giving him easy tasks to complete for me. You know, go and grab my boots, or bring me that pitcher of water. He seemed eager to help and I think he likes to feel useful. Over the years I've given him more responsibilities but only if he'd let me tutor him." He gave Alexander a quick wink. "The kid is like a sponge. He can read nearly as well as I can now."

"Your father doesn't mind that you're educating a servant?"

"My father doesn't know." Christian told him. "Mother does and she thinks its wonderful. Reece won't go far in this world without an education, and I hate to see him grow up just to work in a field or be a fisher. Not that there is anything wrong with those professions. Anything to make a living and support your family is a worthy occupation, it's just..."

"He's special to you." Alexander smiled. "I understand completely."

Christian nodded. "I'd like to see him become a page and maybe one day a squire. He needs education to do that, and experience working in the palace."

"You're a good man." Alexander slipped his hand in Christian's. "You will one day make an amazing King. Would it be possible for me to assist you with the boy? My grandmother taught me so much and I would love to pass that knowledge on to another."

"Of course." Christian smiled as he kissed Alexander's hand. "I think that is a wonderful idea and I am sure Reece would love to it. He already seems to have taken a liking to you."

"I'm glad. It's nice to know that there are some here who are happy with my arrival."

Christian put his arm around Alexander and held him close. "Soon everyone in this Kingdom will love you." He told him. "How could they not when I love you so deeply? They just need time to see how truly amazing you really are."

Alexander blushed. "I don't know how amazing I am."

"That's your one and only fault." Christian told him. "That you can't see your own worth. I wish that you could see yourself through my eyes. Then you would know what I know."

"And what is that?" Alexander asked him.

"That you're a rare and precious jewel, the kind of treasure that men would go to war for. You're like a thing of fantasy and legend made real, and your completely, and unequivocally mine."

A joyful tear slipped down Alexander's cheek as he smiled. He put his arms around Christian's neck and drew him close, he looked up, losing himself in his eyes. "I am yours." Alexander whispered. "Now, and forever. In life, in death, and in whatever lies beyond. I am yours."

_____________________________

Amos had loaded the last of his bags onto the carriage. The driver waited for him to get in back. Amos hesitated. He looked back at the palace. This would be the last time he saw it as he saw it now, his home, his sanctuary. When next he saw the palace he would be looking at it from afar, remembering what his life had been like when he lived within it's mighty walls. A strong feeling of despair over took him as he said good-bye. He wasn't just leaving his home, his lively hood and his family, he was leaving Christian. That was what hurt most of all.

How could Christian just dismiss him so coldly after everything they had been through together. They had played together as boys, grew up together, and were educated together. They truly had been like brothers for a time, before Amos began to see Christian in a new light. All of that meant nothing to Christian since Alexander had come into his life. The fact that Christian could just push Amos aside and replace him with a Draveil was more than a slap in the face, it was an insult of the worst kind. But Amos couldn't blame Christian. No, he blamed Alexander. Somehow the devil had slithered his way into Christian's heart and bewitched his mind.

Amos clinched his jaw when he thought of it. If he could go back to that day in the forest he would have let Alexander run away and not pursued him. Christian would have forgotten about him eventually and found something else to spark his interest. Alexander was meant to be nothing but a distraction from Christians impending marriage anyway. He was never meant to become Christian's lover, and he certainly wasn't meant to become his spouse! It was unthinkable. Christian had claimed to be happy but Amos knew that it was the spell Alexander had woven around him that made him think that way. How could anyone be happy with a demon?

Amos sighed. It was time to go. He'd been dismissed by the prince and so he had no choice. He just hoped that he would be welcomed back into his father's house, though he detested the idea of being around his step mother. The woman was a shrew and she despised Amos. She felt that his father favored him above her three children and if truth be told, he did. Amos couldn't help that his half siblings were fat, spoiled, little urchins. Their mother doted on them too much and allowed them to get away with whatever they wanted. The last time Amos had visited, those rotten children had poured honey in his hair. He threatened to whip them all but their mother came to their defense at once and his father didn't have the backbone to speak up.

Amos didn't figure that things would be that much different now. He still had to contend with the trio from hell and the old bat of a step mother, but it was better than being homeless so he just had to make due. As he was about to step into the carriage he became aware of someone standing behind him. He turned and saw Jivete. She was at the top of the stairs looking down at him. She had such pity in her eyes. She was a stunning sight, leaning against a stone pillar. Her golden hair was lose and flowing over her shoulders. She was dressed in a soft pink gown. A mauve cloak covered her shoulders. A strong wind blew past her, causing her skirts to twirl around her feet and Amos almost saw a hint of leg.

"An ill wind blows tonight." She said to him. "The chill in the air cuts one to the bone. Do you think a storm approaches?"

"A most terrible one." Amos answered her. "You best take shelter my Lady. Who knows what damage this tempest will cause."

Jivete stepped down the stairs till she was within a few short feet of Amos. "I do not run from clouds." She told him. "I stand my ground and refuse to be over shadowed by them." The look in her eyes was so that Amos could tell she meant every word. Jivete was a fighter, and she wasn't going to give up so easily.

Amos respected that about her. He always respected strong women and was somewhat attracted to them. But Jivete was his rival which made it difficult for him to like her. Still, they shared a common enemy and he supposed that made them friends.

"I wish that I could assist you in fighting this particular storm though I'm afraid my time here is at an end. I've been dismissed from my post and ordered to leave the palace. But I wish you luck in your efforts my lady. Christian made a grievous mistake in choosing that creature over you, but I believe that justice shall be had, sooner or later."

"Indeed it shall." Jivete agreed. "But I'm just a woman, and I can not hope to win this fight alone."

"I would help if I could, but my hands are tied."

"Maybe not." Jivete smiled at him as she moved closer. She touched his hand and Amos felt his heart beat a bit faster. "I might be able to persuade the King in allowing you to remain here. He wants the same thing that we do, after all."

"Oh?" Amos raised an eyebrow as he listened to her. "And what is that, my Lady?"

"The demon gone from this place." She said coldly. "And, I think I may know of a way to achieve our collective desire."

Now Amos was intrigued. He grinned. "I'm listening."

Jivete smiled sweetly as she touched his face, trailing her slender finger along his jaw line. "Come with me." She whispered. "I have much to tell you."

__________________________________________________

Christian kissed Alexander gently on the lips. He then stood up from the couch and extended his hand to his husband. Alexander took his hand and rose from the couch as well.

"You haven't probably had much time to look around have you?" Christian asked him.

"No." Alexander admitted. "I've only seen the outer room and this one."

Christian nodded. "Then allow me to give you a tour. The room we first entered, before coming into this room, is the guards, or attendants room. During the night there are usually anywhere from two to three attendants sleeping in that room. Occasionally there will be a guard stationed there as well, but only if there is an immediate threat to my life. In general, the guards patrol the palace during the night and are posted at various entry points."

Alexander listened closely as Christian explained the function of the room. Many questions formulated in his mind but he decided to keep them till later, and allowed Christian to continue with the tour.

"The room we now stand in," Christian told him, "Is the sitting room or sometimes called the Prince's lounge or study. The purpose of this room is to relax, read, take meals when not in the dinning hall, and it's also used an important meeting place. Of course there are the Kings offices where many affairs of state take place. The King's cabinet is the most notable venue for larger meetings of advisors and counsel members."

Alexander looked around the room. When he'd first entered he noticed the beautiful layout and the decorative furnishings but he hadn't really paid much attention to what all was present in the room. He'd gone first to the fire and sat on the couch where he'd found Reece. As he looked around now he noticed not only the hearth and chairs near it but also a round, medium sized table with several high back chairs around it. There was also a writing desk with various things sitting on it such as parchment and quills. There was also one wall that was almost completely covered by shelves of books. So many books. Alexander looked at them all and noted the titles. They ranged from religious texts, myths and fables, to books on warfare on politics.

Christian noticed Alexander looking over the books and he smiled. "You're welcome to any of them that you wish. If you don't find one to your liking, there is also a main library down stairs. I'll show it to you later."

"I would like that." Alexander told him. "I've always thought that one could never have too many books."

Christian laughed a bit. "You and my mother are of like minds."

"Perhaps that's a good thing." Alexander stated. "It's a good and strong foundation for building a meaningful relationship."

"I agree." Christian told him. "And a very good idea. The Queen has far more influence over the King than most people realize. It would definitely benefit you to have her in your corner."

"I can tell that the Queen loves you very much." Alexander said. "She wants your happiness above all else. As long as she can see that I do indeed make you happy, I think she will be more inclined to accept me, and our marriage."

Christian nodded. "I feel the same way. Once my mother shows her acceptance of you it will be a matter of time before others follow her example. You may not win over my father right away, but the continued support of the Queen will help in establishing your place as my husband and Prince. In time all of our worries will be put to rest and your place here will be secured."

"I hope you're right." Alexander wrapped his arms around himself and hugged himself nervously. He still wasn't convinced that the King was going to allow their surprise marriage to go unchallenged.

Christian gave Alexander a reassuring smile then took his hand and led him out of the sitting room to the next room on his "tour" of the chambers.

The two walked through a set of double doors off the sitting room that led into what was obviously the Prince's bed chamber. This room was larger and even more embellished than the last. Two large, arched windows opened the room up and allowed the bright light of the three suns to spill into the room, illuminating it. Between the windows was another set of double doors, but with glass windows, that lead to a balcony. Beautiful burgundy drapes hung over the doors, blocking out some of the light when not pulled to the sides and secured with ribbon.

Alexander opened the balcony doors and stepped out onto the platform. A three foot wall enclosed the balcony. A small table and two chairs sat to one side. When Alexander walked to the edge of the wall and looked over he was delighted to see that the balcony over looked one of the many gardens located around the castle grounds. Many of the flowers were already beginning to close and wither in the cold. The leaves on the trees had changed to fall colors giving the garden a very harvest like feel. Alexander was sure that the garden would be lovely in spring and summer when the flowers were in full bloom but he loved the look and feel autumn more.

The crisp scent of the changing leaves and the subtle hint of the coming winter tantalized his senses and filled him with such elation. He delighted in the festivities that came with the season. Pumpkins, carved turnips, and of course the fire festivals. Large bonfires would be built within each community in which wood from a sacred tree was burned along with the bones of live stock. Home fires would be extinguished and then relighted from the massive community bonfire. This tradition was meant to ensure good luck in the coming year, ward off evil spirits, and deter trickster imps and Fae from playing pranks on people. Sweet foods and gifts were also left for the tricksters as a peace offering, in hopes of being left alone.

Of course everyone in the villages took such joy in the games and traditions of old, but what Alexander had truly looked forward to were the feasts. After the harvest farmers would donate some of their crops to the village. Hunters would supply a bounty of fresh meat. Fishers would supply fish and young children would gather baskets of apples, nuts, berries, and all sorts of wild flowers for decoration. A large table would be set up in the center of the village and everyone would attend the feast. Foods were also left out for the spirits of the ancestors as they would be welcomed into their families home for that one special night of the year. It was a joyous time and a celebration of death and rebirth.

As Alexander stood on the balcony now, lost in his thoughts, he reminisced about the many years he and his grandmother had celebrated the harvest and while he adored spending the holiday with her, he had often dreamed of traveling to the Palace and taking part in the harvest celebration in Avimur. He wanted to see the men and women dressed in costumes, dancing and drinking. He wanted to attend the equinox celebration at the great temple. Most of all he wanted to join in the games with the other children his age. Every year he begged his grandmother to take him to Avimur and every year she refused. He never understood why until now. But he was here now, standing over the garden, and taking in all the beauty of nature.

The equinox would soon be upon them and for the first time in his life Alexander would be present for the celebration at the palace. That thought thrilled him most of all. Christian came out and stood beside him, looking over the wall into the garden.