All Comments on 'Korinthia Koire'

by LilithHerald

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
scipioparkinsscipioparkinsabout 4 years ago
Superb!

Randy and erudite at one and the same.

Fereniki_AlexandrouFereniki_Alexandroualmost 4 years ago
Greek corrections

This is a great story! I really enjoyed your re-imagining of the empusa mythos. I won’t harp on historical inaccuracies, since I know this is a work of fantasy, but the absolutely mangled Greek really distracted me from the story, so I feel obliged to make some corrections. Here are a few examples that really gave me a headache:

• The Greek name for Corinth is Κόρινθος (<i>Kórinthos</i>), not “Korinthia.” I’m not sure where you’re getting “Korinthia” from.

• “Koire” isn’t a real word in Greek. Κόρη (<i>kórē</i>), however, is a real word that means “maiden” and κοίτη (<i>koítē</i>) is a real word that means “bed.” My guess is that you probably got these two words confused and inadvertantly created the word “koire.”

• The word πόρναι (<i>pórnai</i>) is the plural form of the word πόρνη (<i>pórnē</i>), meaning “prostitute,” but, for some reason, you use “pornai” as both the singular and the plural form. You aren’t the only writer on Literotica who does this sort of thing, but it really bugs the heck out of me, because I know that, in real Greek, “pornai” is exclusively a plural form.

• “Hiereirai” is not a real word in Greek either. You seem to have been thinking of the word ἱέρεια (<i>hiéreia</i>), which means “priestess.” The plural form of this word is ἱέρειαι (<i>hiéreiai</i>).

• There was no “Archaean League”; you are thinking of the “Achaean League.”

• ἑταίρα (<i> hetaíra</i>) is the singular form of the word meaning “female companion”; ἑταῖραι (<i>hetaîrai</i>) is the plural form. For some reason, you use “heterai” as both the singular and plural forms, even though it is really neither.

• ἑταῖρος (<i>hetaîros</i>) is the singular form of the word meaning “male companion”; the plural form of the word is ἑταῖροι <i>hetaîroi</i>.

• “Kaos” isn’t a Greek word; the Greek word you are thinking of is actually χάος, which can be transliterated as <i> cháos</i> or <i>kháos</i>, but not <i>kaos</i>.

• The word <i>metic</i> does not mean “independent prostitute”; it means “resident foreigner.” It comes from the Greek word μέτοικος. The word is used to refer to a free person of foreign origin living in a Greek city-state without citizenship. I’m guessing you probably misunderstood the meaning of the word because you saw an article somewhere mention that many <i>hetairai</i> in ancient Greece were metics and you incorrectly assumed that it meant “independent prostitutes.”

Generally speaking, if a Greek word ends in -<i>os</i>, it is a musculine singular form; if it ends in -<i>oi</i>, it is a masculine plural form; and if it ends in -<i>ai</i>, it is a feminine plural form. Feminine singular nouns usually tend to end in -<i>e</i> or -<i>a</i>.

LilithHeraldLilithHeraldalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Poor Greek

@Fereniki_Alexandrou : Wowsers, thanks for that useful feedback! Admittedly when researching the history the various terminology was a challenge.

-Korinthia was what I assumed was used to refer to the region whilst Korinth refers to the city.

-You're right, the title was my attempt to romanize 'korinthia koré', should've stuck to the original

-Gosh, looks like I really tripped over when it came to singular and plurals, again thanks so much for the feedback, time permitting I hope to return to this world (with more accurate Greek!).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Absolutely awesome

Great story, plot, writing. Just wish it wasn't in this category (though it is accurate) because Erotic Horror sees a lot less interest, compared to others. This story should be seen by more people.

rogueKlyntarrogueKlyntarover 1 year ago

You misnamed the Epilogue "Prologue".

That's new, lol.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous