Larkin Ch. 12

Story Info
The stay - no sex.
2.2k words
4.67
8.2k
5
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 12 of the 19 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/26/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Larkin debated on her next course of action. Did she go back to being a girl? Find a place to make a living here? Or should she move on? She knew if she moved on too far, she would reach another port, and that would mean more of a chance to get caught. Night came and she left the inn, slipping into the woods down to the river's edge where the loggers were pushing the logs in during the day. She pulled her clothes off and washed her hair and face, then the rest of her body. She pulled her clothes back on, though they were stiff with days of sweat and dirt and went back into the town, to the inn, with her hair down and her chest unbound.

The innkeeper gaped at her, recognizing the clothes she had been wearing and the 'boy' that had been sitting all day. "Hello," she said softly, warily, ready to run. "I wondered if you might need help here at you inn, serving drinks and meals?"

The man closed his mouth and looked her over. "Haven't had much need for a serving girl... but, you might bring a few more men in. Especially the bachelors who hoard their money for their own plots of land. I couldn't pay you. I could offer you room and board and let you keep any coin given to you as tips. Best I can do. But you have to find a dress... those clothes are filthy. And you are from off, so maybe you don't know, but there's no whorin' here."

"That will never be an issue," she said, blushing.

"Is whatever you are runnin' from gonna come after you here?"

"No sir, it shouldn't."

"You was a slave then?"

"Not yet, but it was heading that way," she lied.

"I hear about runaway slaves, never had one in Bristoe. Folks passin' through talk about'm enough. You are pretty enough, one of the boys will snap you up from me for sure."

"I'm not sure I am interested in men at the moment. Where can I buy a dress?"

"Well. Talk to Reana in the morning, she might have some of her daughters clothes left over. Otherwise you'll be needin' Sarah. She may let you get one on credit, she'll see right off the boys will be flockin' to ya. You can have the last room on the left. It's not much, smallest I have, but I am sure you understand."

"Of course."

"Get your clothes squared away and you can start as soon as you don't... stink. Pardon my saying so."

"Oh, no offense taken.These clothes haven't had a wash in a while. Thank you Mister?"

"Just call me Abel. You have a name?"

"Umm.. yeah. Give me a day to think it over."

"I see. Makes sense. Alright girl, go get some rest. I will see you in the morning."

Larkin went up the stairs to her new room. It was very small, barely fitting a cot and washbasin on a nightstand, but there was a blanket and pillow. She fastened the wooden dowel lock and passed out, feeling like she was sleeping like a queen.

She woke late and wandered down rubbing her eyes. Abel smiled at her. "Breakfast in the kitchen, girl. Just yesterday's bread and milk, but it's the same as I had."

"Thanks, it beats wild onions and mushrooms." She ate quickly, then went back out. "Can you tell me where Sarah lives?"

"She is here in town proper, go down to where the road is crossed by a path, the first path mind you. Take a left and count down four houses on the right. She has a red garland on her door. Just knock and tell her Abel sent you. You'll be needin' a name 'fore you get there, she is a gossip that one. And get yourself a story too. Had me a daughter borned what only lived a few weeks or so. Simona was her name. No one here knows that."

"Thank you Abel, that sounds lovely. Simona. I like it and I am honored to take it for my own."

"Aye, girl. Head on over so she can get started and you can get a bath."

Larkin grinned and headed out. She did notice several men pause or slow down in their work when she passed, but she ignored them with a will as she made her way to the house with the red garland. She knocked softly and waited, then knocked more loudly and waited longer.

"She aint there," A boy called from the path. "She and my mom are down at my house talkin'. Who are you?"

"I'm Simona, I am the new serving girl at the inn. I need a dress made."

"Yeah, she can do that for ya'. I'll go get her."

"Oh, you don't have to bother her, I can wait."

"No, it's fine miss. My mom will welcome the interruption, I promise."

The boy returned with the woman in less than two minutes, the short, round woman puffing in her haste. Larkin felt scrutinized as the woman's beady, sharp eyes took her in. Larkin knew she was the sort of woman who judged people before they spoke, so she smiled pleasantly at her. "Good morning. Abel said you might be able to help me? I am the new serving girl at the inn, but I need a dress."

"When was you thinking?"

"As soon as you have time. No rush, but as soon as is convenient for you."

"Don't suppose you could pay?"

"I have some coin, but not much. Abel said you might be able to do it on credit till I start working?"

The woman grunted and went into her house, gesturing Larkin to follow. "What's your name?"

"Simona."

"Where you from?"

"Miovia."

"Runaway slave?"

"Runaway, not slave. My dad wanted me to marry some gross old man. I was robbed at the port city. It's... a long story."

"What was you thinkin'? A modest goodwifes dress or something with a little more show? Something to help the boys spend their coin more loosely?"

"Is there a happy medium? I don't want to appear... available, but I work for tips, so. What do you think?"

"Oh, I have a few ideas Simona. Step up and let me measure you. Whew. Those clothes are ripe."

"Yes ma'am, sorry. I have been running a while."

"Strip'm off. I have something you can wear out of here, don't worry. I have a dress another girl commissioned then didn't get when she came up pregnant. I can alter it. Go on girl, strip down and I will measure, then you can heat some water and bathe."

Larkin nervously stripped down, then made a noise of protest when the woman picked them up with a broom handle and shoveled them into the fire. She measured Larkin quickly, marking on a string and not a measuring tape. As soon as she finished, she pulled out a wooden tub and hauled in a few buckets of water, then put a kettle on the fire. To Larkins horror, the dress the woman put on the form was a bright, garish red. It was hideous. The neckline was also ridiculously low and Larkins eyes popped when the woman took the waist in so far that there was no way Larkin could get it on without a corset.

"Soaps in the cupboard, water should be hot. Clean yourself up and I have some new underclothes for you as well," Sarah said distractedly. "Tell me about where you are from and what brought you here," she said around the pins in her mouth.

"I liked the looks of this place. It felt... nice. And comfortable. Just... safe."

The woman grunted. "Safe, sure. This is a logging town girl. Men outnumber the women four to one. Don't misunderstand, they would never hurt you, they will just be... very happy to see you. Milk'm for all they are worth honey, before you settle for one of'm."

"Oh," Larkin said washing her hair again. "I don't think that's for me. I just want quiet and peaceful for a while. I don't care much for coin as long as I have what I need. This warm water feels nice. And the soap smells so good. Thank you Sarah. Everyone here seems so nice."

"Oh, of course, but it's not the kindness of my heart honey. You'll be payin' me back with that coin you don't want," she laughed. "I think this has it. I have some shoes that might do for you, your feet look smaller than mine but I have a pair that pinch. All right. You all clean?"

"I guess. I haven't had a good bath in so long. I am just prolonging it now."

"Well get yourself dry and I will get you those underclothes. Here you are. Now turn and let me fit this corset."

"I'm not sure I need.. OH!"

"See how nice that pushes them out there? The boys will be tripping over themselves to see you. Just a little tighter..."

"No! I can hardly breathe now, I won't be able to serve in this!"

"Oh, you get used to it honey. There you are, look at yourself in that! The boys will be near apoplectic! Here, let's get the dress on you... Oh yes, that is lovely. You look like a proper barmaid now. Abel will be needin' a cook and another servin' girl if you you bring in the boys like I think you will. Try these shoes. Oh, yes, very nice. Now, your hair. Sit down here honey."

"I don't know if I can sit!" Larkin said breathlessly.

"You just have to sit very straight, you can do it. See! There you go. Let's get you nice and pretty for tonight's dinner rush."

When Larkin left, heading back across town, her cheeks bright red with embarrassment, she saw more men stop and stare at her as she passed. She was almost in tears when she walked in to the inn. Abel stumbled on nothing when he saw her.

"Well," he said finally. "I should have made more stew I think. You look..."

"I know," she said miserably. "She had this dress already. It's... horrifying."

"Oh, it's not... horrifying. It's... something to behold. Dare I ask how much she expects for this... transformation?"

Larkin tried to shrug, but she still couldn't breathe. "Abel, she has me in a... contraption that won't let me breathe hardly!"

"Oh, yeah. I can see that. Ummm."

Larkin saw his eyes darting constantly to her neckline and he was completely distracted.

"So, I took your advice. My story is I am running from an arranged marriage."

"That'll work. Ummm. Well, here. Here's the ale taps. Wine is this smaller one. Brandy is the smallest one back here. I cook, so just step back if they want food and let me know. Tonight is stew. I guess I will go and try to fill it out a little, make it stretch a bit. Sarah will make sure everyone in town knows I have a new serving girl. Umm..."

"Thanks Abel. I may go barefoot if that's not an issue. The shoes she sent me with are too big and clunky. No one will know, the dress is long."

"Girl, they won't be lookin' at your feet, I can promise you that."

Larkin sighed. She was having definite second thoughts.

People started drifting in the moment the sun started setting. Most offered Abel hello's and stared at her before suddenly deciding they were hungry and may as well eat while they were there. Larkin served them all with her eyes down, not wanting to see them staring at her exposed flesh. After a while, she began relaxing. They were all polite, well mannered. Some were raucous with each other, but were respectful to her. They didn't try to force her to conversation, but they tipped her generously all night. She had enough to pay Sarah back and then some.

The next day, more men showed up for lunch and Abel gleefully told her he was going to have to start ordering a lot more food to make for them. Within a week, Larkin had commissioned two more dresses, both more modest and less tight. The corset had to go. She ordered good shoes from a passing peddler.

The third week in, men began talking to her. They knew her name, Sarah had told everyone, but now they were telling her their names. She knew their faces, she knew what they liked to drink and whether they were eating or just having a few drinks. Some of the men had begun dicing and playing cards at the inn instead of back in their camp. Abel was over the moon about the money coming in. Larkin was stashing hers away in her little room.

There were a few men in for lunch on the fourth week and Larkin had paused to listen to a young man named Yoseph who liked to tell her funny stories. His friend Blain came in and sat down. "Be ready Abel! Bunch of soldiers are ridin in. Saw'm stop and ask questions."

Larkin froze. She hurried to Abel and he looked at her expectantly. "Abel... I don't feel well. May I please go lay down?"

"Of course Simona... is it the soldiers? You think they are lookin' for you?"