Last Few Days of Summer

Story Info
Free-spirited woman gives shy guy his own ‘Summer of 42'.
  • August 2022 monthly contest
17.7k words
4.89
149.2k
119
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Trionyx
Trionyx
1,169 Followers

It had been a wild two years prior to Will's fiftieth birthday in September, what with the pandemic, the crazy election, wild weather, fires and war in Europe. In spite of it all, his wife insisted on hosting his half-century birthday with a party for him, his family, friends and neighbors. His birthday was actually on Monday the 19th but they celebrated with a bar-b-q the day before. After the guests departed, his kids and exhausted wife went to bed while he remained in his old lawn chair enjoying the quiet, the solitude and his favorite sipping whiskey.

As he sat there, he thought back thirty years to the late summer of 1992. It always amused him the events of that summer were similar to and occurred exactly fifty years after those portrayed in the movieThe Summer of Forty-two. And now another thirty years had passed following those two defining weeks as he turned twenty. The whiskey swirled in his glass while his mind drifted back to those fateful last few days of summer....

-----

After donning his running shoes, Will told his parents he was going for a run and took off towards the beach. The path wound through deep, soft sand between the dunes until he reached the wet, packed sand near the water. There the running was easier but it still gave his legs, calves in particular, a good workout.

Will was on his college's track team but was never considered a star. He had loved track in high school and was fortunate enough to be accepted on the college track team. His school was a small, four-year college and all sports were voluntary and, unfortunately, without scholarship aid. Even so, he enjoyed the sport and wanted to keep in shape until the season began in earnest in the spring, five to six months down the road.

He was on his only vacation of the summer. Once he had finished his sophomore year, Will came home and started working in Mr. Worthman's hardware store where he had worked for several summers prior. In late August his parents told him working all summer six and seven days a week was not healthy and they were taking him to their beach house right after the Labor Day weekend for two full weeks. This would leave him a few days to get ready to return to Geyser College when his classes started in late September.

As he loped along towards the west, he noted the houses were fewer and further in between. As it was after Labor Day, most of the houses seemed to be unoccupied and some were even boarded up for the winter. After running about three quarters of a mile he looked over at one house to see it appeared to be occupied. Between the dunes he noted a female lying on her stomach on a lounging chair. A quick peek suggested she had a nice shape to her ass and while he couldn't be sure, it appeared she had no bikini strap across her back. Almost ashamed to be looking, he turned his head quickly and kept running down the beach.

On his return, he was getting short of breath and decided to walk a short distance. As he walked towards the same house, his head naturally turned to see the girl. She was now on her back and it was clear she was topless. He was still quite some distance from her but could see her breasts were reasonably sized and seemed to stand up from her chest nicely. As she had on sunglasses, he couldn't tell if she was aware of him or not. A squawking sea gull startled her and she popped her head up and seemed to suddenly stare right at him. Embarrassed, he turned away to resume running when he heard the words, "Hello! Could you please come up here?"

Shocked and afraid he'd been caught perving, he turned back towards her but kept his eyes down to the ground. "Uh, you need something?"

"Yes, please. I need a big favor."

"Uh, OK. What?"

"Go ahead and come on up here. I don't mind," she said with a smile in her voice.

Will slowly walked between the dunes and up to the deck before he even raised his eyes to look at her. She was a curvy blonde girl, but on further looking, he realized she was probably several years older than his nineteen years. She had one arm crossed across her full breasts as she pulled up her sunglasses with the other hand and looked him in the eye.

"Thanks for coming up here. I, uh, I need some help."

"Uh, sure, I guess. What?"

"I want to get a good tan but I'm alone here and I can't put the tanning lotion on my back. Could you maybe do it?"

"Me?" his voice squeaked.

"Sure. You look like you could handle the job."

"Yeah, OK, I, uh, I guess I can."

"Great. Thanks," she said enthusiastically as he handed him the bottle and started to turn. As she did, she dropped her other arm and he could see for a split second her right breast up close before she stretched out on the lounger. She was beautiful. Her hair was a slightly wavy blonde down to her shoulder blades. She seemed to have some nice muscle tone to her arms and thighs, and her ass, which he had seen previously, was full and shapely.

"Here, put it on my back from shoulders to the bikini. I'll do the legs once you've left."

"Uh, sure. How much?"

"I dunno. A glop in your hands and smooth it all out. It should be enough to make things kinda white before it gets rubbed in."

"OK," he responded as he began to nervously smear the cream on her back.

"I'm Charity, by the way. You?"

"Uh, oh sorry. Will."

"Where're you staying?"

"We have a house closer to town. I'm out running to get back in shape for track."

"You on a team?"

"Yeah, I'm at Geyser College and, uh, on their team."

"Like it?"

"Yeah. 'S fun."

"Sounds like a lot of work to me."

"It is, but it keeps me busy when I'm not studying."

"It seems a guy like you would have plenty to keep busy with at college."

"What do ya mean?"

"Girls. Aren't they coming after you? You know, dating and partying?"

"Yeah, well, they're not too interested in me."

"You gotta be kidding," she laughed as she rolled up to look him in the eye, partially exposing her right breast to him once again. "A guy as handsome as you?"

"Uh, well, I dunno about that, but I'm pretty, uh, pretty shy about girls and I can't even talk to them without screwing it up. So, I don't even try."

"You're talking to me and here I'm practically naked," she replied as she lay back down.

"Yeah, well, umm, see, I didn't have much of a choice here, did I? I mean, you asked me here, told me what you needed and all. I didn't start anything. I really screw things up when I try to start things with a girl."

"Huh," she paused before going on, "So, it's a confidence thing, right?"

"A 'no confidence' thing is more like it."

"Sometimes life, like track, needs practice. Maybe you need to practice talking with girls."

"Yeah, but where would I meet any girls, anyway?"

"Hey, I take exception to that. What am I anyway; a guy?"

"No, definitely not a guy. But what I mean is, uh, girls at college, uh, more my age, I guess."

"Wait a second. How old do you think I am?"

"Uh-uh. 'm not gonna guess. My dad told me years ago you can never win when guessing a woman's age. Even if you're right on the money, she might be offended you didn't guess younger."

"OK, you've got a point. I'm twenty-six. You?"

"Nineteen. My birthday's late next week."

"See, not too much different, now are we?"

"I guess. Uh, it looks to be all rubbed in. Anything else?"

"No, that should do it. Uh, wait a sec. Maybe I can help you with this confidence thing. You think?"

"I dunno. You're nice and all but..."

"But what? Look, I'm here by myself and I can easily take some time teaching you a little about girls. And you, how long you here?"

"Almost two weeks."

"OK, here's the plan. You run by here tomorrow and if I'm out on the deck, I want you to come up and hit on me."

"I've never done that before."

"I know, but you're going to practice. Pretend you know nothing about me, come up and try to act like you want to meet me."

"That will be easy 'cause you're so pretty and all."

"See? There you go! That's what I'm talking about. Every girl wants to know she's attractive and putting it out there early never hurts. Just don't go overboard. OK? See you tomorrow!" she announced as lay back down on the lounger.

"Uh, OK. See you then."

-----

Will had so much trouble relaxing that evening even his mother commented on it. "Billy, you OK?"

"Yeah, Mom. I'm fine. Uh, could you please remember to call me Will?"

"I'm sorry, Honey, I'm a creature of habit. I've called you Billy for so long that it's difficult for me. I'll try harder."

"Thanks."

"So, anyway, you seem a bit upset or anxious."

"No, Mom, I'm fine."

"Leave the boy alone, Hon. He seems fine to me," broke in his dad, "How was your run today, Will?"

"Good. I'm going to do some long intervals tomorrow, you know, run a mile, walk a half, run a mile, you know."

"How far?"

"Dunno. May be gone a long time."

"Take my cellular phone in case you get stranded. I could drive down the back road and pick you up, OK?

"It's pretty big, but yeah, I'll take it.."

"Remember, you've got to pull the antenna up all the way or it won't pick up a signal."

"Yeah, Dad. Got it."

----

He waited until right after lunch before he left on his 'run.' He decided to run the entire distance and if she was on the deck, he would stop to visit. If not, he'd run a bit further before turning around. While he was running he kept thinking about what to say to try and how to act cool. He slowed down as he approached the house, checked to see no one else in the area and looked towards the house. There she was, stretched out on her back wearing a different bikini and reading a book.

"Here goes," he thought to himself. "Hi, there," he called out to her.

"Oh, hello. How are you?"

"Doing fine. You, uh, you live here?"

"No, but the Gundersons are letting me stay here for a month or so. What about you?"

"Uh, we're staying at our place about a mile up the beach."

"Looks like you've been running. Thirsty?"

"Uh, yeah, I am, I guess."

"Will, don't be so hesitant, OK? Now, where were we? Oh, yeah... So, I've got some iced tea and some sodas."

"Thank you. Soda's fine. Do you mind if I come up to your deck?"

"No. Come on up. I'll get you a Coke."

As she went into the house, he wandered up to the deck. Inside the place looked neat, well-picked up and not at all like the mess most people have in a vacation home.

"Here's your Coke."

"Thanks. Uh, I'm Will, by the way. You?"

"Hi, Will. I'm Charity, but my friends call me Chari."

"May I call you Chari?"

"Of course," she paused, "Now, Will, that was good. You quickly moved yourself into a friend zone with that question. Nicely done."

Will stood there staring at her for a few seconds before she went on, "Now it's your turn to talk, so..."

"Uh, where are you from?"

"Army brat. I grew up everywhere. Home now is right here but I'll be leaving in a month or so and find someplace else. You?"

"Centerton originally, but I'm going to school at Geyser College."

"Neat. What's your major?"

"Civil engineering. Maybe kinda boring but I like it."

There was another pause in the conversation before she went on, "Will, keep it going. Answer a question and then ask one. Makes a girl think you're interested."

"Civil engineering. Maybe kinda boring but I like it. What about you? Going to school?"

"Not anymore. I graduated a few years ago from the U."

"In what?"

"That's better, Will. Nice follow-up question... Uh, my major was the most useless one of all: Psychology."

"I thought it was Art History but why do you say psychology?"

"Unless you're gonna be a psychologist, there's not much work. I guess it tells employers I'm smart enough to finish college, but have no usable skills."

"What kind of work do you do now?"

"I'm between jobs. Once I leave here I'll be looking."

"Uh, what was your favorite job?"

"Good. Good question. Let's them know you're interested in them... Uh, my favorite was working the call desk at a suicide hot line. I think I did a lot of good and helped a lot of people."

"Why'd you quit?"

"Burn out. It got to me after awhile listening to all those people and their problems. I desperately needed a break. That's kinda why I'm here now."

"Uh, do you go swimming much?"

"No, not really. I'll wade but I don't like swimming alone. Not smart."

"Yeah, you're right. Say, wanna go swimming with me?"

"Good question. Moves things along and lets you stay around a little more. Keep it up," she paused before answering, "Sure. That would be nice. Let me get some towels."

A few minutes later as they were walking to the water's edge, she gave him a little pep talk. "You're doing fine. Answer questions, ask questions, let the girl know you're interested in her. You know, Will, you're a nice guy and with a little encouragement, you should do well."

"Thanks. Means a lot to me. I, uh, I really appreciate your doing this. Maybe I'm just a psychology experiment you're doing," he laughed.

"No experiment. You're fun to be with, kinda cute looking with your runner's bod and I'm glad to help. Last one in's a rotten egg," she shouted as she ran towards the water.

Will let her have a head start before chasing her but purposefully didn't catch her until she had already splashed into the water.

"Hey, Mr. Track Star, you're kinda slow," she laughed.

"Maybe I let you win!"

"I know you wanted to watch my ass."

"Madam," he said with a fake British accent, "Your derriére is jolly well enticing, if I say so myself."

"Why, thank you, kind sir," she laughed. "Now see, Will, you've already let her know she's attractive without being boorish. I think you're a natural."

"Thanks. Uh, do you swim much?"

"No, I like to splash around to cool off, but I'm no big swimmer. You?"

"Me either. I'm too skinny and don't have enough fat to float well."

"You are definitelynot skinny. You are a mean, lean love machine. Keep telling yourself that and you'll forget about having a runners bod, which, by the way, is sexy."

"Really?"

"Yes. Shit, if I'd've met you in college, I'd've come after you. OK, we're getting away from your assignment so let's get back to practicing. You've established she doesn't swim much, so what do you do now?"

"Uh, I don't know."

"Well, sun cream washes off in water, so...?"

"Oh, yeah. Say, we'd better be careful not to burn. Do you have any sun cream I could borrow?"

"Sure, back at the house. Come with me."

Once they walked up to the deck she showed him the outdoor shower hidden behind an opaque screen. "You can rinse off there while I get the cream." After he was done, she walked behind the screen and as the water was running, he saw her bikini top flipped over the top of the modesty screen.

"Can I help you at all, Chari?"

"No," she laughed, "Nice try, though. I like to completely rinse off and get rid of any sand." The bikini top was disappeared and the bottom took its place. "Now, Will, a lech would have asked a second time to 'help' and I'm glad you didn't. It's fine to joke once, but if a girl says 'no,' the answer's no."

"Sure. Got it."

A few minutes later she finished the shower and came around the screen, grabbed a towel and dried herself. Will was amazed at how comfortable she seemed standing there knowing she was being stared at. Suddenly, he realized hewas staring and turned his head away and grabbed the last of his drink. He felt her behind him before she spoke.

"You need some sun cream here on your shoulders. Can I help you with that?"

"Yeah, thanks." After she finished with his back and shoulders, he turned to her and asked if he could help her. She nodded, untied the straps and held the top to her chest. Since he had put cream on her the day before, he wasn't so nervous and was able to do a decent job, he thought, in no time at all. Once she lay down on the lounger, she turned slightly to him and asked if he would put a little bit more on her low back and thighs. "Will, that's a sign the girl is definitely interested. It doesn't mean you should jump on her, but it means she's wanting a bit more."

"Yeah, here...done."

"Thanks. Now I'll catch a few more rays. Say, Will, do you run every day?"

"Yep. Helps me get back into shape after spending the entire summer working in a hardware store."

"You'll be by again tomorrow?"

"If you would like..."

"Perfect. That tells her she's in the driver's seat and isn't threatened...Yes, I would love it if you could come by again. What time?"

"Whatever works for you." They kicked it around and agreed he should come by around three or four pm. "Well, I'd best be going. See you then."

"Thanks for dropping by...And, Will, nicely done. You're picking up on the things that show you're a nice guy. Bye now."

-----

The next day his mother wanted to take him into the little town for shopping but he begged off saying he wanted to do some more running and relaxing. And shopping was definitely not a relaxing pastime for him. Around three-thirty he put on his running shoes, grabbed a T-shirt to wear over his swimsuit and took off. He slowed down as he approached the Gunderson place and was pleased to see Chari reading under a large beach umbrella.

"Hey, Chari, sun too bright for you?"

"A little. My back-sun-cream-guy hasn't been around yet today so I had to avoid too much sun."

"Since he's not here, could I help?" he chuckled.

"Sure, but actually, I'm fine in the shade. Care to join me?"

"Thanks. That'd be great," he responded as he scooted a second chair under the umbrella. "What cha reading?"

"Nice, Will. Start off by engaging her, asking her a question...Oh, I'm readingThe Pelican Brief."

"Who's it by?"

"John Grisham. Pretty interesting book, too. What do you like to read?"

"I'm into science fiction, I guess. I also like a good biography now and then but I don't have a lot of free time for reading with college and all."

"Yeah, I remember those days. But don't forget, a few minutes of a good book right before bedtime is a great way to clear your head. Helps me sleep."

"Maybe I'll try it sometime."

She put the book down and they talked for nearly an hour telling things about themselves and joking. At one point she talked about shopping. "I love to shop, even if I don't buy anything."

"That's gotta be a girl thing. Even Mom wanted me to go with her today and shop. Most guys basically want to buy what they need and leave."

"Then I guess you're not interested in that new mall up in Minnesota."

"What new mall?"

"The Mall of America. It's huge, opened last month. I might drive up there to check it out."

"You're kidding, right?"

"No. Look, it's got over five hundred stores! Can you imagine?"

"No, and I'm gonna try not to," he teased.

"Oh, you're such a guy! I can't believe it."

"OK, so we agree to disagree. What about politics? Who's gonna win in November?"

"I hope Clinton will. Three terms of Republicans are enough. What about you?"

"I don't really know. I know Mom and Dad want Bush to stay in office. I don't have much of an opinion."

"Now, Will, it's important that you have a way of talking with girls about possible hot topics. You wouldn't want to lose out just because of a different opinion on something like this but on the other hand, it's important you be true to yourself. So, how could you handle it if the girl is clearly on the opposite side of things politically?"

"Maybe listen to her, not interrupt and agree she has some valid points."

"Right! That way, you haven't conceded anything and you're still talking with her. You'll do fine with this, I know it."

"Thanks. You know, you're so easy to talk to..."

"I think you're actually learning something. Compared to when we first met, you're a champ any girl would like to go out with. Speaking of going out, when will we be going out?"

Trionyx
Trionyx
1,169 Followers