All Comments on 'Leap of Faith'

by A_Bierce

Sort by:
  • 40 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Okay

Not sure what to make of this. It's chocked full of emotion, but with no outlet for it. The story creates more questions then answers. Am I correct that in the end they took the literal leap together to end their pain?

Can't say I like the story or hate it. There's not enough there do either. So instead of giving it a rating I'll shrug my shoulder and give it big "MEH".

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker60over 4 years ago

Well that was a true plot twist. My reaction was WTF? I had questions, but the only questions left are all about acceleration times the force of gravity, and the sudden stop at the bottom. And the big question: why? I guess it’s not getting a second chapter, so we will never know for sure. Unless there’s an airbag or a lake at the bottom, and they somehow survive the first chapter!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
What??

Disjointed story line. Two strangers met at Lovers Leap and one seems to want to help the other not commit this senseless act, but instead they jump off together.

TheKrrakTheKrrakover 4 years ago
Interesting Flash tale

Short, and to the point - could fit in anywhere or anywhen, and somewhat thought provoking.

Thanks for sharing.

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Question?

No start, no end & very little middle.

3 fails, give it 3 questions:

Why is this in Loving Wives section?

Why are you writing?

Is it to torcher all of us?

I wish I could give you -5, but they will not let me!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
1

You can't be serious.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wow

That took me by surprise! LOL!

Everything seeming to go in a positive direction, and then...off the cliff!

But not alone.

PostScriptor

Rhinoman1951Rhinoman1951over 4 years ago
glass half full, or half empty?

One commenter assumed they leaped OFF. I read they took the leap of faith. They stepped BACK over the curb, willing to give each other a reason to live. Amazing story that acknowledges the readers are sentient beings.

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 4 years ago

Good to see you writing again.

sanman52sanman52over 4 years ago

Guess the leap can be taken 2 ways. A leap back into living and putting their past relationships behind them and moving forward in life, or a leap over the physical cliff ending what they see as their emotional hell on earth where there is only pain and hopelessness. Interesting story. Guessing that most readers would like more details.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveover 4 years ago
Interesting idea but ...

The way you wrote it meant that the ending didn’t stick for me. The idea of mutual suicide needs more here—as you have written it—if this is to be understood as an act of active affirmation in life. As it is, the “shock” ending doesn’t earn it’s shock. For me, it comes across as a “punchline” to a shaggy dog story. If that was the intent, OK. But as in your name sake, humor was attached to turning expectations upside down, with a keen eye for the foibles of the human condition. I respect the fact that you and others might disagree with me on this! I think it is in some of your language choices and trying to play on different meanings of words. For example, rather than talk of “faith” consider the notion of “grace,” which feels closer to the issue you want to get at which is the despair that these people are feeling, and wondering whether mercy and love will be extended to them by an universe or god that would condemn them in some views to an eternity of pain or oblivion for the act of self-murder. Just a thought ...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Huh?

So they jumped off of the cliff together?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Just not a Valentines story

Love, loss and suicide just don't make for a good story. NOT what I want to read in the LW section or on Valentines Day. UGH!

1 star

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

Read it three times, and although your writing is , for lack of a better word, beautiful,I still can't say I understand it. I'll have to wait for Reed ,I Johnadp, or sbrooks103x, to interpret it for me. Meanwhole, I enjoyed your use of the English language.

prinnaveaprinnaveaover 4 years ago
Liked the Title

Faith and the unknown man (ex-husband?) took their leap (or step) back over the curd to life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
not sure

I disagree with other commenters in that I think there is enough here for what was intended, although it really isn't my cup of tea as an LW story. You seem to have turned into a writer with interesting ideas, even though the ideas don't necessarily leave the reader satisfied. Your mythologically-based stories were interesting, but left me saying "Cute" rather than "Good story." I still enjoy reading your stories, so I will just be patient and hope your next one is more to my tastes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
To those that did not understand

They did leap together but into a new life NOT suicide.

This may be a concept to hard for some to read for this is a subtle tale.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years agoAuthor

Another swing and a miss

onlythelonelylove—Her name is Faith, and the name of the story ("Leap of Faith") can be taken one of two ways. I’m familiar with grace, but in this instance substituting it for Faith wouldn’t work. Thank you for giving the characters so much thought.

sanman52—Got it in one about “leap.” About the readers, too. Afraid I aimed for subtlety but crashed on obscure (or maybe obtuse). You’d think I’d learn.

dragonmann72—Thank you, sir. If I ever get my head on straight, maybe I'll be glad I'm writing again, too.

Rhinoman1951—Thank you, sir.

Anonymous (Question?)—It’s in Loving Wives because that’s where the perspicacious (if occasionally vengeful) commentariat hangs out. I’m writing because I have the (apparently mistaken) notion that I have something to say. Finally, it certainly isn’t my intenshun to torcher y’all.

“They stepped over the curb and took the leap.” Doesn’t say whether they stepped forward or back, but I’d like to think they stepped back and took a leap of faith. After all, it’s Valentine’s Day and everyone should love happily ever after.

luedonluedonover 4 years ago
Written in hope?

Rhinoman commented "Amazing story that acknowledges the readers are sentient beings."

Sentient: 'Having the power of perception by the senses'.

I'm sure the author, our dear old friend AB, lives in hope of finding perceptive readers like that.

Lue

ribnitinribnitinover 4 years ago

not one of your better pieces. Sorry.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

Unusual story with beautiful writing. I can't even begin to understand it. I hope that somehow they stepped back from the edge together.

HoundandFoxHoundandFoxover 4 years ago
Leap

She stepped.over the curb to.jump. Thus at the end she must have stepped.over the curb the other way

robroy93robroy93over 4 years ago
I hope

I hope they didn't jump, but we'll probably never know.

tangledweedtangledweedover 4 years ago

Faith had taken a step over the curb when he showed up to stop her. Later, they stepped over the curb together. If Faith was straddling the curb, then her eventual direction is left to the reader's imagination.

This story could be a philosophy question; the story is written so that the two of them could go either way. What does it say about us if we choose despair or hope? The end of all of your pain vs a painful battle to rebuild what we have lost?

luedonluedonabout 4 years ago
Let's assume

Let's assume that Faith Leaps back into a happy life. That opens the possibility for a creative author like AB to continue on an extended Faith series.

Faith could now find something hidden just beyond the curb - an Article of Faith

Then she and the stranger could settle in together and eventually decide to marry. Faith's bridesmaids would be her best friends, Hope and Charity.

But being the typical LW wife character, it would not be long before she finds a BBC that's much better in bed than her husband. Very soon she would be acting in Bad Faith.

The possibilities are endless.

Lue

TatankaBillTatankaBillabout 4 years ago
Nice

I like the ambroguity. But of course they turned away from the precipice. It's more dangerous that way but also more hopeful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
IT ISN'T WORKING

I don't understand why you keep doing this.

Explore other options. Painting or welding..

Thanks for listening to my opinion, A_Bierce.

AMerryman

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeabout 4 years ago
Good writing.

In fact, very good writing.

But not much of a story.

So no ratings from me.

kimi1990kimi1990about 4 years ago
Sterile

That's the best I can manage. Mr. Bierce is obviously in love with his vast, to his mind, vocabulary. Throwing together the most florid words you can imagine, in the most pleonastic combinations possible, do not good writing make. It's the story, Mr. Bierce. You didn't have one. You do that, don't you? Just saying words to hear the sound of your own voice and so others will extol your turn of phrase. Sad, really.

Jetcrash747Jetcrash747about 4 years ago

A very quick story, how does it end? Together, They stepped over the curb and took the leap. Together. come what may.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
If you have nothing,then...

...LEAVE US ALONE!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
🙂

Glad you have a healthy sense of humor.

We all live longer with that, lol.

AMerryman

Artie88Artie88about 4 years ago
Really?

I really don't understand the desire to write and publish this story.

It is just mystifyingly stupid from start to finish.

WHY????

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
De gustibus non est disputandum

I liked it

etchiboyetchiboyabout 3 years ago
Is this an Addams’ family ending?

“And the little baby deers mother was killed by the hunter. The end.” “Wow, what a terrific story!”

Ocker53Ocker53almost 3 years ago

A very beautiful and powerful story, loved it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

nixroxnixroxover 2 years ago

1 star - too bad she did not do this before she committed adultery

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You guys need to read more carefully! She had already stepped over the curb. He followed her and took her hand, so they were BOTH standing on the edge... The only way they could step over the curb again was to move AWAY from the edge! They decided not to jump, instead they took a leap of faith, on each other!

Beautiful story. There's many ways to end a bad life, abandoning your sorrows and starting over is the best one.

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

I hadn't realised until re-reading it (after looking at some of the comments) that they had already stepped over the curb so in that final sentence they stepped back and that the final leap was not off the cliff. A very interesting story with some well-written details about her getting dressed (making it very clear that her ex was still in her heart) in order to die. Instead these two have a possible future together. Thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous