Leap of Faith

Story Info
Lonely couple's blind date goes wrong, then right.
11.4k words
4.5k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Smut Codes- MF, oral, romance, light MM & FF, discussion of adult dating and polyamory.

Intro- This story is fictional and meant for mature open minds in a safe environment. Please do not read it if you object to the smut codes listed above. Some of my other works are companion pieces, including "Ruleskirter" and "Girls Dorm Blues". Feedback is appreciated.

***

Austin, TX. October 1997.

"I'm telling you, Bore, this girl is perfect for you."

"Can you not call me 'Bore', please?"

"Sorry," Doug Ramsay chuckled. "Boris. Is that better?"

"Much better, thanks." Boris Garin had to admit the nickname was an easy one. It was the first syllable of his first name, and suited his apparently bland personality too. But if you got to know him... well, he liked to think he was anything but boring. He was a twenty-something college student learning business administration, hoping to run his own resort hotel someday. A retired Resident Assistant, too, a gig handyman, and a nightclub bouncer on weekends. What was boring about him?

Well, I don't talk much, Boris was willing to admit. I stand around and take in atmosphere more than anything else. I'm also not much to look at. Your typical big blonde guy with a weightlifter's physique. And like Doug- a brown haired chubby guy with glasses and a thin beard way more handsome than me who's one of my club patrons, and classmates- I read a lot. And I don't date much either. I'm not really an outgoing guy. I don't want to get in trouble again.

"Tell me more about this girl," Boris said to Doug, wanting to get his mind off his own failings. "You want to set me up on a blind date, I need a good sales pitch."

"She's Hispanic," Doug answered. "Business student like you. Beautiful."

Boris nodded. He liked dating Hispanics- his first relationships had both been of that descent. "What's her name? How'd you meet her?"

"Elena Ruiz. She's the straight girlfriend of Lisa, that redhead in the leather jacket you and I rescued from the Ogre last weekend."

"The crazy bisexual biker wannabe psychologist?"

"Not wannabe, Boris. Could-be. She's studying to be a psychologist. She might make it too. I've never been so at ease talking to anyone. And if this unattached friend of hers is anything like her..."

"But you say she's not. You told me Lisa is an out and proud bisexual, wanted to make sure you accepted that. Wants to make sure you accept all sorts of other things too. I'm not into girls like her, Doug. I don't like being tested, you know? Either she likes me or she doesn't. Enough."

"Well, Elena... might not be like Lisa. She... doesn't know you yet. And I admit I don't know her that well. But Lisa thinks you'll both like each other. I do also. Silvan agrees."

"Silvan? That weird karaoke host friend of yours who claims to be a Faerie Alien Hybrid with godlike powers?"

"Hey, Silvan got you and me onto the VIP list for Antone's nightclub, remember?"

"Yeah, but... whatever, Doug. Your bizarre friend belongs in a fantasy world."

"But Silvan lives in this one, Boris. And so do you."

Boris sighed. He could accept that. "Has Silvan met this girl?"

"Not as far as I know. I've only met her twice in the week or so I've dated Lisa. They have a few classes together. Elena was Lisa's RA before they moved out of the dorms. Now they share a house with two other girls- I've met Tara but not Shauna. Lisa says Tara and Elena play D&D. Lisa says Elena's the only one of their foursome who identifies as straight."

And should she find out I'm bisexual and have hooked up with more guys than girls, that's the end of things between us, Boris grumbled to himself. That's how it goes every time for me. Guys and girls I date find out I like the other gender also, they push me away. It's gotten to the point where I accept my regular guys Del and Freddy and just pick up girls in bars. Both my guys have other partners anyway, it's no big deal for them if I date other people too. I have dated many girls, it usually goes well with them for me. I'm a big gentle guy, they respond well to that. But then, inevitably, they find out I have a roving eye and I like guys too and it's over, since I can't drop other people as a temptation. It will surely be the same here.

Unless... well, if she has bisexual girlfriends, maybe... maybe she'll be okay with what I am. I present as straight for obvious reasons, maybe she does the same. Not always good to present as bi, right? Doug doesn't know I'm into guys, he's made clear he isn't that way. But I sometimes think it'd be okay to tell him, he's so easygoing, and he'd still be my friend too. I should take a chance. I want to marry a girl someday, if I can find the right one. My low amount of female hookups isn't what I want. And this might go right. So as they say in Amarillo... I'll stop looking a gift horse in the mouth!

He slapped himself mentally, then looked at Doug. "Tell me we're not meeting at Silvan's club. I'm not into singing karaoke."

"You can pick the place. Lisa says Elena likes to try new things."

"She into Thai food?"

"I can ask."

"Find out. I've been wanting to try this place called Thai Tables. I'm free this Monday. We'll see where it goes."

Leap of faith, Boris reminded himself when Doug clapped him on the arm and grinned. Just like every day of your life.

***

"He's your fantasy, Elena. The guy you've wanted to meet for all the time I've known you. Or at least very close to it."

Elena Ruiz, a petite Hispanic female in her early twenties with a slim physique, shook her head at her curvaceous redhaired best friend. "You can't find a man for me, Lisa. This is what, your twentieth try?"

"You're counting?" Lisa Coleman gave her a surprised expression.

"No, but..." Elena threw up her hands. "It seems that way. You've set me up with a lot of guys in the last year, Lisa. Does this one have an accent?"

"Not really. I've only met him once and we didn't talk at length. I know he's a good guy, though. He was one of the guys who helped Doug and me beat up that asshole who assaulted me last weekend."

"One of the gay reporter guy's buddies?"

"The bouncer. His name's Boris."

"Boris?" Now Elena was interested. "He's Russian?" Lisa had never introduced her to a Russian before, and her fantasy man had a Russian first name- she just couldn't decide what it was.

"Russian descent. He's from North Texas."

"Okay." All the other Slavs Lisa's set me up with haven't worked, Elena reminded herself. German Hans was too forward, Hungarian Kole had an awful sense of humor, and that Czech guy Adam had an accent so thick I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. Other guys whose names I can't remember have ended up twisted sexually, not into me, or not interested when I bring up the future. I tend to do that quickly, I want to find my guy. Mom and Dad were love at first sight, almost. I want the same. Somehow. If I can just find the guy that matches my fantasy man...

Lisa dates a lot of guys, she thought, more than me, and the odds of finding my exact fantasy man are minuscule at best. So... if I don't take a chance, I'll never find him. I guess I'll say yes. "Where's he want to meet?"

"We're hoping the two of you will decide on a place. Doug has this weird friend who thinks you will be great together too. Silvan has this karaoke bar. Maybe..."

"Forget karaoke. I'm not into singing."

"Oh. Okay, well, how about the gym? Doug says Boris works out a lot. He looks it too."

"And I work out in parks, not gyms. How bout dinner? Let's keep it traditional." Elena liked to take charge of her dates, and she didn't have many lasting relationships. Every person she dated tended to disappoint her sooner or later. She had such strict standards...

Better put them aside again, Elena told herself. Otherwise I'll never have a chance at meeting my fantasy, and I do want that, right? Or at least some sort of good man who comes close?

"Dinner's fine," Lisa said. "What sort of restaurant?"

"Uh, I don't know. He can pick." Elena squeezed her fingers and her long braid of hair- she'd switched to that style from a short bob some months ago. Ideas flashed in her mind. "I haven't had Asian food in a while. That's fine if he's out of ideas. Is he ugly?"

"Good looking. If things go bad with Doug, I might consider him myself. If you don't like him, that is."

"Nice recovery." Elena smirked at Lisa. "I thought you were into Doug."

"I am, of course," Lisa said quickly. "But, well... this guy's a worthy fantasy too, maybe."

Elena nodded. "Okay. Is he twisted?"

"He doesn't come across that way. But like I said, I've only met him once."

"Then I hope he's not twisted. As usual."

"Shauna, Tara, or I will take care of you if he disappoints you. Don't worry."

Elena grimaced. She liked hooking up with girls sometimes, but always felt like she was settling. The girls were so easy for her. First there had been Tina, her drunk roommate who had stoked her curiosity. Elena had been drunk also, the first time they slept together. She was a better lover when sober, as it usually went. Elena had enjoyed the affair for a while. But then Tina had left her, assured her their affair had just been a phase.

So I thought my bisexuality was a phase too, Elena remembered. Giving in to the temptation of four other girls who had a lesbian orgy in my dorm my third semester as an RA, the year after I knew Tina- that too was a moment of weakness, followed by several other similar moments when dates went bad. I couldn't do it long term. Never mind that I kept getting with those girls off and on for over a year, always hiding it from guys. Never mind that I still live with three of those four girls now.

She had a deep fear any man she dated would hate that she was into girls on top of guys, even though no men she'd dated had ever shown her that. Elena pushed them away before sparks could fester, always finding fault. Or she hid the guys from her girlfriends, wanting to content herself with the guys. Until they bothered her for whatever reason, and she broke up with them as soon as she could. Mostly because she did not love them.

I can't stay with my girlfriends forever, she reminded herself again. She couldn't marry a girl- polite society wouldn't accept it. Operating the hotel she wanted wouldn't work if she didn't conform to social norms, or so she thought.

And on top of that, no guy was perfect. Her mother had always told her to find the one that excited her most and settle for him. In her mother's case, it had been Jorge Ruiz, a gas station owner. Her mother was a truck driver who took maternity leaves to have their children and then saw them and her husband between road trips. Elena was the second of their three kids. She'd lost her virginity to her senior prom date, then they went to different colleges. A long streak of short relationships had followed. Men dumped her or she dumped them. She didn't want women as more than friends with benefits, not long term. How would she ever explain marrying a woman to her family, let alone polite society?

It would not be necessary. She would marry a man. No one but her close friends had to know she was bisexual. Tina was gone from Elena's life when she got a regular boyfriend. Elena hoped for the same course in her life. Elena had made clear to Shauna, Tara, Nicole, and Lisa she would not be with any of them beyond a convenient booty call now and then. Shauna and Tara were with each other, when they weren't grabbing random guys for hook-ups. Nicole and Lisa were with each other too, when they weren't reeling in guys. They hoped for longer term relationships- didn't all decent people?- but were willing to keep rolling the dice. Elena had accepted both couples as convenient booty calls, left it at that. It had gone that way the rest of their year together in the dorms.

They'd pledged to a sorority last summer, all hoping to use it to meet more decent guys. Nicole ultimately joined the sorority, but none of the other girls in their fivesome wanted to do the same. The pledge activities had not suited their interests, or they just didn't want to live with some of the people they met. But none of them wanted to go back to the dorms either.

Nicole's father was in real estate, and he rented them one of his houses near the college. They all signed the agreement, pooled their funds for rent. Now Nicole no longer lived with them. The others might be gone at some point too. Elena was the oldest, but she would not leave her friends. Then what would she do? The guys she found on her own never worked either, and she wanted to keep the girls just in case. Years in the dorms alone had driven her mad. She preferred having contact with other people to that. Should she settle for Lisa, since her relationships kept not working out either? No, she had met Lisa's newest boyfriend Doug a few times in the past few days and was certain they were in love. And she was straight! Damn it, she was straight!

Elena shook her head. Maybe she should visit the sorority and have Nicole set her up again. No, Nicole's picks were worse than Lisa's. Same for Shauna and Tara, her other girlfriends. It's not their fault they haven't ever set me up with anyone great, she reminded herself. It's the guy's decision or mine. I need to give every guy a chance. So I best give in to this latest date offer, see what happens. Sooner or later things have to work out for me, right?

"Okay, Lisa. This guy... I'm not sure how many more chances I want to give you. I appreciate you setting me up, but if it goes bad again... does he know I work weekends?"

"You can tell him. He works weekends too. Leap of faith, Elena. Take it or don't. You seen any red flags yet? I haven't."

"And you've only met the guy once."

"Doug vouches for him. It might go okay. Find out. What you got to lose but effort and time, and maybe your chains?"

Elena thought for a few more moments, then sighed. "Fine. I'm free Monday. Let me know what restaurant he picks."

"You got it." Lisa smiled and squeezed her friend's shoulder.

Elena squeezed her long black braid and prayed.

***

When they first met, they stared at each other. Elena gaped as she realized Boris was over a foot taller than her. "You're..." she stammered, looking Boris up and down. She liked his physique but... she hadn't expected him to be so tall.

"Boris Garin," he introduced himself, smiling down at her. "And you are Elena Ruiz?" He offered his hand.

That hand can easily crush mine, Elena thought. She took it anyway and squeezed it lightly, glad the pressure was returned in similar amount.

"You two will have fun together," Lisa giggled, nodding at them both. "Doug didn't come with you?" she asked Boris.

"Nah, he had to study tonight. He says you're still on for the arcade tomorrow."

"Right," Lisa nodded. "The arcade." She smirked.

Did Boris bring a wingman? Elena wondered, looking around. Doesn't look like it. "I'll be fine, Lisa," she told her friend.

"Okay." Lisa nodded at them both. "I'll be studying in that booth over there if you need me." She waved at another booth across the restaurant.

Elena nodded at her again, then sat across from Boris in their booth. "What are you expecting to happen tonight?" she asked the man sitting across from her. Damn, she thought in the next instant, why can't I ever think of a better opening line?

"Whatever we both think is a good time," he replied with a shrug. "Sorry if that's vague. You eat Thai food before?"

"Never. What looks good here?"

Boris pointed out a few things on the menu. Elena nodded and said she would try one of them. A black guy with a Mohawk and Chaplin mustache even taller than Boris approached their table as they discussed ordering. Elena thought he looked like a thinner Mr. T without the jewelry. Boris waved him off with one gesture, pointing at Elena with the next. The guy gave Boris a thumbs up, then walked away.

"Was that our waiter?" Elena asked, frowning.

"No," Boris answered, smiling nervously. "That was my wingman, Del. Doug couldn't make it tonight. Del could. We've been doing stealth wingman- he's at another table in this place and checks on me when he visits the bathroom. I can introduce you if you want, but... well, you seem nervous enough around just me."

He had picked up on that? Elena blushed. "I didn't expect you to be so tall. You play basketball?"

"Yeah, sometimes. Del's better at it. I'm more of a wrestler or boxer. You play?"

"No. I'm just a runner and climber. Not really built for more exercise than that." She grimaced. "I'm more into computers than exercise. Sorry if that bothers you."

"It doesn't. I like to use computers too. Gotta stay organized. Doug said you study business."

"Yeah. I want to run a resort someday, or a hotel. Maybe both. I was an RA last year, liked it, and well, it could be a career, maybe."

"Huh. I dream of resort hotel management too. I also used to be an RA. My mom runs a Hilton in Amarillo."

"I didn't know Amarillo had a Russian district."

"If it does, we don't live there. My family's only Russian a few generations back. We left to get away from the Tsar. Worse tyrants showed up later." He laughed. "Dad's a handyman. I get my middle name from him. Yurievitch, it means...."

"Son of Yuri," Elena translated, grinning. "I speak some Russian," she said next. "Ya ga-va-ryú pa-rús-kee."

"Nyet," Boris shut her down quickly. "Uh, ya neem-no-ga. I don't speak much Russian. Sorry. We abandoned it for English, I guess."

"It's okay." Elena sighed. "I took a class in it to meet guys from overseas. Didn't work."

"Well, maybe you can teach me," Boris replied. "Where do your parents live?"

"Laredo. Dad runs a gas station near the Mexico border. Mom drives a truck that crosses back and forth a lot."

Boris nodded at each word. They kept chatting till the waiter showed up. They ordered their food, then got back to chatting once he'd left.

"Lisa said you helped her out with a bad guy bigger than you," Elena prompted when they were alone again. The waiter had made her lose track of their previous topic.

Boris picked the new one up easily. "Yeah. It was my job. Well, the alley behind Paradox wasn't really my assigned area, but... Doug told me Lisa was in trouble. He couldn't take that guy alone, or with two other guys and Lisa helping. Once the manager saw that and I threatened to quit if he didn't let me go out there... he let me go out. I went. Turned out we needed eight people to take out one Ogre- that's what Doug called the guy. It was nuts."

"Lisa said he was on PCP."

"Yeah, he was on something all right. You'd never catch me doing drugs."

"Glad to hear that. Me neither. But as big as you are..."

"It's just from weights and eating right. I want to get like Beast in the comics. Strong and smart. You don't know who I'm talking about, do you?"

Elena decided to surprise him. "Henry McCoy, Uncanny X-Men? Yeah, I know him. I've read the comics."

"Oh, good, phew." They shared a laugh.

They chatted a bit about the X-Men. Boris was into them from comic books also. Elena was surprised they frequented the same shop.

"You play D&D?" Elena asked him next. "Lisa said Doug was into that or something like it."

"Hackmaster? Yeah. I play it. D&D's not that different. My character's a Paladin named Emilio. Doug told me your friend Tara runs a D&D game. You play?"

Elena nodded. "Cleric. Name's Roxanna. Tara, Lisa, and me play. Not much of a game with three people, I know. We had Nicole too, till last summer. I can't do multiple characters at once like Lisa or Tara can. Lisa has a Druid-Monk and a Wizard she runs solo. Tara rotates in various Rogues who keep getting killed. We could definitely use another Fighter type- Lisa's Druid-Monk's animal companion fills that role but could use the help. I could use a backup healer too. If you're interested..." She gave him the usual time and place they played.