All Comments on 'Left Behind Ch. 03: End'

by Hypoxia

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
HypoxiaHypoxiaover 9 years agoAuthor
Author's Comment:

I write by setting up a story-world and a few plot points, throwing characters in, then letting them loose and recording what they do. They make the story; I just transcribe. And they surprise me. I do not know most of what they do until they do it. Who's in charge here?

I didn't know Ally the carjacker had a pile of loot till Rosa opened her pack. I didn't know Bobo was cartel until Ernie told Rosa. I expected Rosa to end up with Sammy and Lily, not Dave. I didn't know Rosa felt guilty about her kids till she told us so. Yes, the players constantly surprise me.

I'm ending the story here because... well, it seems right. But will future events sweep over Rosa? Give this series enough five-star votes, and more story *might* be told.

arrowglassarrowglassover 9 years ago
A gem in writing!

Great story...meandering through all it did...the characters all had a life of their own! I so enjoyed this and hope a look at her life in the future is IN THE FUTURE! Thanks for this one!

HypoxiaHypoxiaover 9 years agoAuthor
@ arrowglass: Thanks!

Well, high votes could encourage me to write more -- in a few weeks; I have other stories brewing right now. (I really do need to finish THE BOOK OF RUTH.)

And yes, the players are alive. It helps that I know some of them. I haven't met Rosa but I've bought crafts at her family's shop in Tlaquepaque (TLAW-kay-PAW-kay). I used to work with Terence and Ayesha and I had a class with Ernie. I may have run into Ally -- scary woman! The real Cici is a law professor in Guatemala and a relative by marriage (and she's Serena's grandmother). Et cetera.

Yes, the story does meander. Like the Ferron song: "Life don't clickety-clack down a straight-line track / It comes together and it comes apart".

gordo12gordo12over 9 years ago
Not my usual genre

But I enjoyed the story although the night club shit was a little overdone (my age showing). Carry on by all means but it would be hard to see where it would take you now but I guess the characters can tell you :-)

HypoxiaHypoxiaover 9 years agoAuthor
@gordo12:

Friends in Cotati (I lived near Frisbee U for 10 years) tell me the club scene is pretty much as I wrote. But I missed it. :(

And where could the story go? I see many paths to explore. If Bobo books, does Rosa bring her kids to California? Does she reconcile with them, and their surviving grandparents (Bobo's folks)? How long and strong are Rosa and Dave committed? Do they part amicably, angrily, tragically, if at all? Does a fugitive Bobo appear at her door? Does Rosa go wild on business trips? What goes with the metaphysical support group? Will Rosa's past sneak up to bite her? Many possibilities.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
Glad I remembered....

....to check for updates. A very fun read, skillfully written. Kinda like riding a rollercoaster, blindfolded. Try it sometime, before lunch!

HypoxiaHypoxiaover 9 years agoAuthor
update for fans:

LEFT BEHIND is officially successful. I am officially inspired. I *will* write at least one follow-up. I can't promise when -- maybe not till early 2015, 'cause I have a few other series I want to wrap-up, and then there's the Winter contest, and yada yada... but y'all have not heard the last of Rosa, both here, and with cameo roles in forthcoming stories. Which stories? You'll just have to read them all and see, won't you? :) Stay tuned!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thanks

Very well written. Very interesting. So many authors introduce characters and the reader can’t keep them straight. You avoided that problem by using a word or phrase to reintroduce the character. I enjoyed this very much

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A wonderful story! Thank you!

Richard1940Richard1940almost 2 years ago

Once again you've come up with an unusual, but believable, plot and characters. It worked very well Congratulations, 5***** all the way through.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHypoxia@Hypoxia
937 Followers
I started out as a child. It's all been downhill from there. Will it be an uphill battle to become childish again? *** I have various home bases, all in high mountain towns not too far from the Pacific coast of the Americas. At any given moment, I'm probably somewhere b...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Left Behind Series Info

SIMILAR Stories