Letter to the Author(s)

Story Info
Apology to writers I've edited.
896 words
4.57
2.4k
6

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 01/14/2023
Created 08/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kenjisato
kenjisato
137 Followers

Dear Literotica authors that I have had the honour of editing,

It has come to my attention that it is not grammatically incorrect to start a proper sentence with the words: but, and, because, as well as a few others that I have not had a problem with, personally. I wish to offer my sincere apologies, if I was at all condescending in my judgement of your use of any of these words; I am sorry.

Henceforth, I will endeavour to refrain from using a semi-colon to replace that period at the end of the sentence, thus leaving the following sentence to start with the word, 'But'. It will be difficult, as after three consecutive years of Grade 12 English will attest to, my teachers bore into us that this was a practice that should not be practised.

However, as new knowledge is gained, and one fully accepts that the times are 'a changing'; so too, must one who proofreads and copy edits erotica, change with those same times.

"... as his hard cock pummelled into his mother's pliant cunt, he almost came from just the realization of his dream. But, he could not deny his mother an orgasm while coupled, as she raised her son to always be a gentleman when in a lady's company. And while her advice was not necessarily meant for when he was forcefully fucking her tight, wet pussy, and fingering her engorged nub of a clitoris; it only made sense, that this would be one of those times. Because he remembered her important lesson, he was able to make her scream incoherently as she climaxed, right before his mother's son came inside her ..."

But, (see what I am doing here) there is one thing that I will continue to advocate for, and that is the use of the word, 'okay'. I emphasize the term, 'word', as it is that, a word. Not an abbreviation, 'O.K.' or 'OK' (which historically, is the origin of the word, an abbreviation for 'oll korrect' as it first appeared in print in The Boston Morning Post on March 23, 1839), or the butchered variation of said abbreviation, 'Ok'.

My reason for wanting to use the word spelled out is somewhat frivolous, as I just think it does not devalue the text written. This, I believe, contributed to the start of the demise of the English language, as it is only two characters long, halving the number of letters of the entire word, which became crucial when messaging, or posting nonsensical jibberish on Twitter. [As an aside, the word 'text' as I have used here, is to mean 'the main body of a book or other piece of writing, as distinct from other material such as notes, appendices, and illustrations;' and does not refer to the shortening of the term 'text message'.]

Also, as I am finding when writing and editing erotica, the inclusion of the letter, 'a' in the word provides the opportunity to accentuate an ecstatic moan of a female protagonist, in the sense of:

"... lick me, lick Mommy's pussy. My clit, oh yes, there ... "

"Is this the right way, Mom? Am I doing it okay?"

"Oh, you ... you're ... okaaaaay ..."

This visual expression cannot be achieved with 'OK'. 'OOOOOK' or 'OKKKKK' does not evoke the same imagery.

One of the stories I have edited, tried to use the multiple 'K' version; but I deleted it immediately, and replaced it with 'okaaaaay', not mentioning any of this to the first time writer in my notes. While I may have a reputation of being a vicious proofreader, I do not want my overzealousness to be the reason a promising writer decides not to submit their story for publication. Thankfully, the aforementioned writer overcame, or did not notice, my brutal deletion; and their story was published a few days later.

Editing your stories has been a revelation to me; I have sincerely enjoyed, and have been envious of, your collective talent with the written word.

Thank you for entrusting your stories with me, as I hope that I have returned that trust with an adequate job of proofreading and copy editing.

I look forward to being able to proofread new stories from you in the future.

Best regards,

Kenji Sato

Proofreader, Practising copy editor, Aspiring editor

Postscript:

Having counted the words in this letter, I see that I am short of the Literotica minimum of 750 words needed for publication. So, rather than going back and embellishing what I have already written, I thought that I would use this opportunity to ask you authors which common word do you use to refer to the biological response known as 'orgasm'? Is it 'come' or 'cum'? I have seen both words used by many Lit authors, whether they have hundreds of stories, or have just completed their first. I thought that 'come' was the proper word for this culmination of the sexual act, but have come to understand that 'cum' is also a proper word, and not just a slang phonetic (It is in Merriam-Webster, well at least, merriam-webster.com). While the former resonates with me more, it does create some confusion, as when it is written, "my little sister, Megumi, is coming soon," does it just mean that my younger sibling, Megumi, will arrive shortly; or ... well, you know ...

kenjisato
kenjisato
137 Followers