Life in A-Flat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Braden sensed her discomfort and decided to get rid of the other girl at the table. "Crystal? Can you do me a favor? Would you run upstairs and ask Bev to give me a call?"

"Right away, Mr. Braden!" she said. "Nice meeting you, Emma," she told her as she raced off happy to do anything to get into his good graces.

"I love Crystal but she can be...well...a bit intimidating. I actually just wanted to talk to you alone for a minute, Emma. Do you mind?"

Emma's face had returned to a light shade of red by this time as she said, "No, I guess not."

"You have a certain look about you, Emma. Has anyone ever told you you're a very pretty girl?"

Emma's capillaries opened wide and blood rushed into her face again with a fury.

Chad reached out and took her tiny little hand in his and said, "I am so sorry, Emma. I didn't mean to embarrass you like that. I was being sincere. You're clearly a very kind, very sweet girl and I...well...I can see things in people others can't."

"You can?" Emma asked without looking at him.

"I can," he told her. "And I see a beautiful young woman sitting right here in front of me. She just doesn't know she has so much potential." He paused then said, "But I do. I see it. May I tell you what I see, Miss Emma Castillaw?"

Without looking up, Emma said, "I guess so."

Braden let go of her hand and said, "You have such pretty eyes, Emma. They really are beautiful. And you've also got great cheekbones. Did you know that?"

"My mom has said that to me before but no one else ever has."

"Then your mother is a very smart, observant woman. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but have you ever considered contact lenses so people can see just how beautiful your eyes are?"

Emma's heart was pounding out of her chest. She was shy, she was deeply embarrassed, and she'd just been given the first genuine compliment of her life by a man who was light years better looking than Bobby McAllister. And she wasn't sure how old he was but he wasn't...a boy...like Bobby.

"Not really. They're very expensive and my mom and I...we live alone. You know, since my dad passed away. Money is always tight so..."

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea. I lost my father several years ago, too." He'd only eaten half of his sandwich when his phone rang. It was Beverly. "I have to take this, Emma. But I really enjoyed meeting you and I'm looking forward to hearing you play. Please tell me you'll come."

"Um...okay. I'll do that," she told him quietly.

"Wonderful! I'll have my car pick you up at 6:00 so we can have some time to talk first if that's okay? And please wear something similar to what you're wearing today. It's a very flattering look on you."

Emma was certain he was setting her up for some kind of cruel punchline but it never came. An awkward silence fell over the table as he hit 'decline' on his phone. "On second thought, that can wait. Beverly doesn't like to be kept waiting and she's the one person I can't push around here, but I think I'm still the boss," he said jokingly. "I won't wait for just anyone, Emma, but you look like you have something else you need to say so I'm waiting."

Emma fidgeted for a moment then said, "Well, I don't want to appear ungrateful because I am grateful. In fact, I'm very grateful for this opportunity. It's just that...well...I know how I look and I know that this kind of thing doesn't look good on me because..." She couldn't say the word breasts in front of this handsome man. She felt herself blushing again as she said, "I mean, I'm just not built to wear things like this. Crystal, on the other hand is, but I'm..."

Braden held up a hand and said, "Emma, I really do have to run, but please believe me when I tell you something. I am many things, but I am not dishonest. In fact, I may be much too honest for some people's taste as I never lie to anyone. I think you look very nice. I don't agree with you that sweaters aren't flattering to your figure. In fact, just the opposite is true. You look very lovely and if you don't mind me saying so, I think you're very cute."

Braden stood up and Emma was utterly relieved as she was sure she was back to a deep shade of purple again. As he walked away Braden said, "Be ready at 6:00, okay?"

Emma nodded weakly and tried to muster a smile but a sheepish grin was all she could manage. Her head was swimming and her heart was still pounding. Her palms were a sweaty mess and she couldn't help but notice she was very, very wet...down there.

Emma practiced the same piece she'd played for Mr. Winslow. It was not only challenging, but it was one of her favorites. She played it over a dozen times before Friday until she had it down pat. She had to get in the shower at 4:30 so she could be ready to go by 6. She'd been fretting about what to wear since her talk with Mr. Braden. She only had two other sweaters and she only wore them when it was very cold. She had one that was a lime-colored green and she thought it would go well with her tan skirt. She didn't own a pair of heels so she chose a pair of flats that matched the skirt. Other than her confirmation cross, she also didn't own any jewelry beyond the silver studs she wore in her ears. She finished getting dressed then blow dried her hair. She rarely ever wore any makeup but tonight she put on a small amount of mascara and just a trace of eye liner. She was embarrassed to admit the reason why but if Mr. Braden really did like her eyes then...

She was also deeply ashamed of the fact that she'd replaced Bobby McAllister with Mr. Braden in her lustful fantasies. But he was the most beautiful man she'd ever seen and he was also as kind as Crystal said he was. Her heart fluttered every time she thought of him and since she'd met him, she had trouble thinking of anything else.

She was standing by the door when the bell rang at exactly 6 o'clock. A man dressed as a chauffeur introduced himself and announced he was there to pick up one Emma Castillaw. He carried her violin case for her and opened the car's back door for her before setting the case next to her on the floor. Emma had never been in a limousine before and she was fascinated by the amount of things that were in it as well as by the size of it.

Her driver escorted her upstairs, opened the door to the penthouse, then asked her to wait. Moments later, Chad came out from the living room and said, "Well! Good evening, Miss Castillaw. You see, you look positively amazing in your pretty green sweater! Won't you come in and join me?"

He carried Emma's case into the living room where he'd set up a chair with a music stand for her. "So, this is the place," he announced as he showed her the setup. "Mr. McElroy will be seated here," he told her pointing to another chair some ten feet from hers.

"Would you care for something to drink? Some wine perhaps?" he asked.

"Oh, um...I'm not old enough to drink alcohol, sir. I've actually never even tried it." Emma could feel her face turning red again.

"That's okay. Perhaps a soft drink or some iced tea?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Emma said.

"Do I make you nervous, Emma?" Chad asked politely. "I don't mean to if that's the case."

"A little," Emma admitted. "You're just not like anyone else I've ever known," she said.

"In a good way or a bad way?" he asked with a smile.

"Well, it's just that you're so...nice...and so...handsome." Emma felt herself flush again. She hated that she couldn't control herself but cute boys always made her feel self-conscious. And Chad Braden was a very good-looking man. She fought with all her might to keep those images out of her mind.

They made small talk until Mr. McElroy arrived. He let it be known he had very little time and that he'd agreed to this only because Mr. Braden was such an influential man who'd generously donated to his musical endeavors.

"All right, young lady. I hear you are quite talented so please impress me."

Emma played for approximately 15 minutes before Mr. McElroy held up his hand. "Thank you, my dear. That's more than sufficient. Mr. Braden? She is nowhere near ready to play for the New York Philharmonic, but she can make a living playing the violin. I have several options to offer her. I can assure you both that on my word alone she can secure regular work in this city."

Mr. McElroy gave her the names of two people at two different locations. Both were lower-level orchestras. The third was with a local talent agency that would be able to place her with any of several other musical groups. He bid them both a good evening leaving Emma alone with Chad.

"Well done, Emma! Didn't I tell you I could see things in people?"

Emma was more excited than she'd ever been in her entire life. "Oh, Mr. Braden! I can't thank you enough! You are just the most wonderful man ever!" Before she could stop herself, she threw her arms around him and hugged him tight. In a moment, she realized what she'd done and went to pull herself away but couldn't. Chad had put his arms around her and was holding her, too.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Braden. I just got so excited that..."

He held her close and said, "I like you, Emma Castillaw. Will you have dinner with me sometime?"

Emma felt herself go beet red again. "You want to have dinner with...me?" she said without looking at him.

"Yes, I do. And I also want to kiss you right now. Would you mind?" He reached up and stroked her hair back away from her face which was still bright red.

"I don't understand why. I'm so...plain and you're so...beautiful," she said.

He lifted her chin up and waited for her to look at him. When she finally did, he said, "Please don't be embarrassed with me, Emma. And I want you to trust me when I tell you I see things others don't. I think you will soon see what I see, but I'm not going to tell you what it is just yet. I want to see whether or not you can."

Her eyes were darting back and forth between his as she said, "I've only kissed one other boy before and he only wanted to..." Emma's face turned scarlet.

"He only wanted one thing?" Chad asked her. "I promise I want more than that with you, Emma. Tonight, all I want is to kiss you. So would you mind?"

Emma could barely speak. She managed to croak out one word, "Okay."

Chad softly placed his lips on hers and kissed her for several seconds. He wanted to feel her tongue but knew she would be afraid so he settled for one very nice first kiss. As their lips parted he said, "You have very soft, very full lips, too, Emma. I can't believe you don't see how beautiful you are."

Emma was breathing fast. Her hands were a sweaty mess. And she was feeling that 'tingling' in her female parts. "Thank you, Mr. Braden," she said trying to control the way her body was shaking.

"Will you please call me Chad, Emma?"

Emma just nodded. She couldn't even continue to look at him. She wanted to but he was SO handsome she thought he might blow up if she looked at his face too long. after all, how much ugly could a face like that stand? And yet HE told HER that SHE was pretty. Emma wanted to look at him but she also wanted to run.

"Would you like me to take you home now?" he asked as he stroked her face.

"Yes. I mean, I think so. Is that okay?"

"Anything you want is okay with me, Emma. Let me get my keys, okay?"

Twenty minutes later he was in front of her rundown apartment building. Parking was a challenge anywhere in the city but he found a spot next to a fire hydrant. "You were amazing tonight, Emma. I hope you know that."

Emma sat there for some time then finally said, "Thank you, Mr...Chad. I had a very nice time."

"So did I, Emma." He waited for a moment then got out and went around the car to open her door. He helped her out, then reached in the back for her violin case. He set it next to her and said, "May I kiss you goodnight?"

Emma managed to look up at him and said shyly, "I would like that very much." She stood on her tiptoes and let him kiss her. This time, she let temptation get the best of her as she gently slid her tongue into his mouth. He responded immediately with his own and Emma was French kissed for the first time in her life.

When it ended, Emma's heart was racing but so was her head. She knew this didn't make sense. It didn't add up. She'd watched an episode of House in which Hugh Laurie said (referring to who dates whom), "You date your integer. Tens date tens, not fives." Emma knew from personal experience and just paying attention that was true. So she worked up the courage to ask, "Why is a man like you interested in a girl like me?"

Chad put his hands on her shoulders and said, "People date, hook up, shack up, and marry for any number of reasons, Emma. Most would say the reason is 'love.' But what is love other than a belief or a feeling that the other person will meet our needs? I'm neither proud nor ashamed to say that I've um...been with...many girls, Emma. Every one of them has been beautiful by by my own personal standards of beauty. But you're the first girl I've ever been interested in who is really interesting to me by all of my standards. And honestly? I've only recently begun to realize what the rest of those standards are. And from what I know about you, you meet all of them. Does that make sense to you?"

"I believe you're an honest person, Chad, but everything I know about people and human nature says this doesn't make any sense. I mean, look at me. No one has ever called me pretty and no one has ever asked me out on a date because he wanted to. And now here you are kissing me and telling me I am pretty when I know I'm not. Then when I look at you, I you I see the most handsome man I've ever seen so none of this makes any sense whatsoever. I may not be pretty but I have been told I'm pretty smart so please tell me where I'm wrong because I like you so much and I don't want to get hurt again."

Chad took her thin face in his hands and said, "Emma, when I look at you, I see all of my needs finally being met because I see the potential in you for making me happy. And once you see it in yourself, you'll be able to unleash everything that's hidden inside you. It's locked away somewhere deep in your heart but it IS there. I can sense it. Remember, I can see things in other people that even they can't see in themselves. So for now, until you find what I've found, can you just trust me?"

"I want to. I want to trust you and I want to believe you. But when everything you say contradicts everything I've ever learned or been taught, it's very hard."

Chad took her hands in his and said, "Has it ever occurred to you that everything you've been taught may be wrong?"

Emma was so caught off guard by that she couldn't answer at first. Finally she looked up at Chad and said, "No. I've never once thought that," she told him honestly. She thought for a moment then said, "But if it's true, it would explain so many things I don't understand but have just accepted for so many years. I need to spend some time thinking about that." She stood there for another moment as she realized how cold it was then said, "You're not only the best looking man I've ever seen, you're also the smartest. So if you tell me something is true then..."

Chad put his arms around her and kissed her again. Emma's body was on fire with a kind of passion she'd never felt before. She couldn't understand it but she somehow knew she wanted him. As he held her close, she pushed against his hard, muscular body and felt something hard push against hers. Emma instinctively pulled back and said, "Oh, my God!" Embarrassed beyond words, she grabbed her violin case and ran inside.

Her mind was a jumbled mess of conflict. Sin, pleasure, restraint, desire, need, devotion, wants, duty. She thought her head might explode as she grabbed her rosary and began to pray. "Holy Mary, full of grace..." And yet later that same night she was in her bed, thinking about him, touching herself down...there.

On Monday morning, Emma called all three of her new contacts and made appointments with the person responsible for hiring new talent at each. The one that most interested her was the second place she went where she learned she could immediately play first-chair violin for the equivalent of an off-Broadway orchestra. She was told the starting salary was low, but Emma said she didn't care. She was currently making no money so any would be better than none. When she signed her contract and saw that 'low' meant $50,000 a year—which really a lot in New York City—she nearly screamed with glee! New York was one of the most expensive places to live on earth and while 50 grand wasn't life changing for anyone who lived there, but for her it may as well have been a million dollars. She would be able to help her mother get out of debt, move to a nicer apartment in a better part of town, and she already had plans for the $5,000 advance she'd received.

"We can make them right here," the optometrist told her. "We've been doing single-vision glasses on the premises in about an hour for decades and we can now do the same with contact lenses. Since nearsightedness is your only issue, we can have them ready for you by 10am."

When Emma put her new soft lenses in for the first time, she was stunned at the difference! In place of the heavy, thick, lenses and black frames, all she could see were two very beautiful green eyes staring back at her. Chad had been absolutely right. The potential had there all along. She was so excited about the dramatic change she couldn't wait for her next appointment.

"So we'll go ahead and put the two new temporary veneers in place and we'll have the permanents back in two weeks," the dentist told her.

When his assistant finished the casts and put them over what was left of her two, formerly overlapping front teeth, she nearly cried. In their place were absolutely straight, perfectly white incisors reflected in the mirror she was holding. Emma was so taken aback by her teeth it took her a moment to look at herself again without her glasses. "Oh, my...goodness. I might really be pretty," she said to herself.

Perhaps the most shocking aspect of this transformation was the way people looked at her as she walked the two blocks back to her apartment. People, no...men...were looking at her. They were looking and they were smiling. She got cat calls from two of them along the lines of, "Hey there, cutie!" Emma even got whistled at for the first time in her life. Then again, she'd done something all the way home she'd never done before. She smiled. And for the first time, the world smiled back.

As Emma made her way upstairs to her mom's cluttered apartment, she was now sure she understood what Chad meant about potential. Maybe she really could be beautiful after all—if she could just reach her full potential. Then and there she made up her mind she would make one more very significant change to her body. While she fully intended to move her mother out of this tiny, run-down...flat...she was determined to move out of life in A-flat and into a new place. Perhaps it would be called C-sharp, as her dream of being a full-C cup was now a possibility.

Emma didn't own a cell phone so the first thing she did each time she came home was to check the answering machine. The number "7" was blinking and Emma began playing them back. "Hi, Emma. It's Chad. I was hoping to talk to you. Can you call me? Bye." There were five more just like it as well as one confirming her appointment with Dr. Armstrong, a plastic surgeon who specialized in breast augmentation.

Emma thought her head was spinning when Chad had kissed her. That was nothing compared to the dizzying feeling she was getting when the thought hit her for the first time in her life. "I'm in love!" she said out loud. "Oh, my goodness. I'm in love with Chad Braden!"

Her heart was about to beat out of her chest—her very flat chest—when she dialed his number. When she heard the sound of her voice, her knees went weak. "Emma? I've been trying to reach you for...are you avoiding me?" Chad asked playfully.