Life in a Small New Hampshire Town Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Absolutely. How many restaurant workers do you know who don't drink coffee?"

I laughed. We got our coffees and sat in an empty booth. Amy shared her work experience and explained that she had lived in her town all her life and wanted to move on. She loved interacting with people and clearly was an extrovert. I immediately liked her.

We discussed compensation, including the tips that I received. I described the club area that we were building next door, and told her that there was a good chance that she would be working there.

"I suspect that tips may be better on that side. It's still under construction, but I can show you what it will look like."

We walked over, and smiles broke out on their faces and hugging ensued when Chris and Amy saw each other.

Chris said, "I told Derrick, my boss, that you were coming up this morning. I asked for the afternoon off so that I can show you around. He left to pick up supplies, but he agreed. I'll meet you in the restaurant for lunch. Gotta get back to work."

Amy handed me a paper when we returned to the restaurant.

"Here's the contact information for Donna, my boss. She knows that I've been talking about leaving for a while, so it won't be a surprise to her if you call. I want to talk with Chris before I completely make up my mind, but I'm pretty sure that I'd like to work here."

"Why don't you go sit in a booth and have some more coffee. I'll go get Chris and let her off now."

Amy shot me a questioning glance.

"Chris said that her boss is away at the moment."

"Derrick's my husband. We run this place together. He's also the contractor for the reconstruction next door right now. I'll just tell Chris she's done for the day so that you two can catch up."

Comprehension dawned on her. I got her a coffee and went to find Chris, who came in a few minutes later and sat with Amy.

"Why don't you come back in the morning and meet Derrick, and hopefully Erik, if you want the job, Amy."

"Who's Erik?"

"He's one of our partners. He's a DJ and will run the club side."

I left them as I still had customers to attend to. I called Donna after they had finished eating and left, and got a glowing report. We were in the midafternoon lull. She said, "I can't say enough nice things about Amy. She's punctual, reliable, and great with customers. I'll miss her, but I know that she's been itching to leave town. Our business is a little slow right now, so I can let her go without her having to give any notice if she wants your job. You'll like her."

Chris

Amy and I had lunch and caught up with the latest happenings in our lives, along with the current gossip from home. I also mentioned that I was living with Tom, and that he was Olivia's son.

"That was kind of a big step for you, Chris. It's about time. How is that going?"

"Tom's a great guy, so is the sex."

We moved on to other topics. I eventually gave her a tour of Appleton and Greensboro, our larger neighboring town twenty miles north. We headed back to Appleton, arriving just after Tom. I made the introductions. Tom didn't show it if he was surprised by Amy.

"Welcome to our humble abode. Let me take your coats. Why don't you show Amy where the bathroom is if she needs it. Tea anyone?"

He had tea ready when we returned. We made small talk as newly introduced people usually do. Tom and I made dinner, followed by some wine and more conversation. Our talk revolved around the restaurant, the nightclub, and the Appleton area and how it differed from our hometown. Tom made the couch up for Amy and we all settled in for the night.

Tuesday, January 8

Amy

Chris made it clear that she liked Appleton, the people she worked with, and other residents of the area. I was inclined to move up here but I wanted to meet Derrick before I decided. Chris had given him high praise as an employer and I trusted her judgement. She explained that his primary business was property management: Lawns and yardwork in the warmer months, snow plowing in the winter, and he also did construction in the winter to keep his crew busy. The construction of the club worked out well to keep the crew employed, especially since it was an inside job. The restaurant was close to Tom's apartment, so I walked over to it. It was snowing with a couple of inches on the ground. Breakfast service was still ongoing when I arrived at the restaurant. I waited to approach Olivia until it looked like it was slowing down.

"Let me take you over to meet Derrick and Erik."

There were six men and Chris gathered in a circle when we entered the club. I soon found out that Derrick was the person who was addressing the group.

"It's supposed to stop snowing around 2:00, with about 6 to 7 inches accumulation. Anyone who wants to knock off now so that you are rested for plowing, can do so."

There weren't any takers, so the crew, except for Derrick and Erik went back to work.

"This is Amy, Derrick and Erik. Why don't we all go and settle into a booth?"

Olivia brought a pot of coffee over and started the conversation.

"I showed Amy the restaurant side and gave her a general overview of how we saw the combined operation." Then, turning to Erik, I said, "Why don't you take it from here since the club is your baby, Erik."

"Sure. I've been a D.J. doing mostly weddings, parties, and other events for several years. I love doing that, but the bookings fluctuate. There predictably are many weddings in the summer, and holiday parties in December. I thought that having a year-round space where I could mix up DJ-ing, karaoke, and maybe live bands with a dance floor would be a good option. One night over dinner I asked Olivia and Derrick if they knew of any available space. This is the result. We are putting a bar, some seating, a dancefloor, and a small stage in. Derrick expanded the kitchen with enough capacity to service both areas. There additionally is a separate room that we can use as a private function room."

"When do you think that you will be ready to open?"

"We're hoping for Valentine's Day, but that may be somewhat optimistic. Most of the construction is done, the bar and back bar are finished. The restrooms are in, the stage and dance floor are completed. The electricians are installing the lights and sound system. The security people are coming next week."

"The liability of owning a bar is high, so we're putting cameras in to monitor the bar, dance floor, entrances, both inside and out, and the drive-up window. The beer taps are due next week. Furniture, barware, etc. are due in the first week of February. We are going to finish the club area before we work in the function room as we can do that after the club opens."

"This all sounds very exciting. I'd like to accept your offer. When would you want me to start? I'd need to give two weeks' notice to my boss, Donna."

Olivia responded, "I spoke to Donna yesterday, who gave Amy a very good recommendation. She said that we'd be lucky and pleased to have her on our team. She also said that their business was slowing down, so Amy didn't have to give any notice if we needed her right off. Amy?"

"That was unexpected. I guess that I could move next weekend and start next week. My first priority will be to find an apartment."

Olivia and Derrick exchanged glances.

"One of the apartments upstairs is empty, Amy. Want to look at it?"

"That would be great."

Derrick showed me the empty unit. It was a bit on the older side, but Derrick assured me that everything worked and it was clean. It looked like it had recently been painted. We returned to the restaurant and finalized an agreement to work and for the apartment.

"I should say goodbye to Chris and head home."

Derrick said, "You might want to rethink that. There's 6 inches of snow predicted here, but sleet and freezing rain downstate. Since Donna said that you could start here anytime, why don't you wait until morning when the roads should be much better if you don't really need to drive today."

"I don't really want to impose on Tom and Chris and, frankly, the couch wasn't all that comfortable to sleep on. I'll just take it slow and easy."

"You can stay at our place tonight. We have a guest room with a real bed."

It didn't take much thought on my part to realize that it was a much better option.

"Thanks, that is really nice of you, and please don't mention my comment about the couch."

They both laughed. Derrick left to go back to work and Chris came in.

"I need to grab a quick lunch and then go get my truck and start plowing. I hear that you've decided to give us a try. It's going to be nice to have you back in my life again."

We ordered lunch, ate, and Chris left. Lunch service was getting busy.

"What can I do to help, Olivia?"

"You don't have to do anything. Relax."

"Chris is plowing, you're working, and it's busy. I don't know anyone else in town and it's snowing. Although I don't know your routines here, I do know how to waitress. What do you want me to do?"

"We've been shorthanded since Sherry left. Get an apron from the kitchen and an order pad. You can have that section. Let me introduce you to the rest of our staff."

I was taking orders as quick as that.

***

Things had slowed down by late afternoon. We were setting up for dinner when Olivia said, "Derrick's off plowing and we're essentially done. Why don't you follow me home?"

"Thanks, Olivia. This place is very similar to where I've been working. Same small-town atmosphere, same nice customers. I think that I'm going to like it here."

***

We had dinner and were relaxing when Derrick finally got home. Olivia fixed his supper and I took the opportunity to go to bed.

Tuesday, January 8

Chris

I asked Derrick about taking a truck down to my home town on Friday to help Amy move during the weekend. He readily agreed. We had talked last night, and she was going to reserve a U-Haul trailer for the weekend, with Derrick's approval.

"I think that Amy will be a nice addition and I Know that Olivia likes working with her."

"She was probably my best friend growing up. I've known her since first grade. You'll be happy having her here. There's something else that I'd like to ask you."

He looked at me and said, "I'm all ears."

"I'd like to apply for the bartender position."

"What brought this on? Has one of the guys been harassing you?"

"No. No. Everyone has been really accepting and great to work with, and I appreciate you as a boss. I just think that I'd enjoy working the bar, interacting with people more."

"I assume that you don't have any experience?"

"No, but there's an evening bartending course offered in Greensboro starting next week. The majority of a bartender's time is pulling drafts, pouring wine, and making a few common mixed drinks from what I understand."

"As far as I'm concerned, it's a yes. I think that it will be much easier to find a plow driver than a bartender. The club side is Erik's bailiwick, however. I need to speak to him. He may want to talk with you directly."

"Thanks, Derrick."

We left it at that.

***

Derrick

I went over to the restaurant to have a coffee with Olivia before the lunch rush.

"Chris wants to become the club's bartender. I spoke with Erik and he's all for it. He had a couple of people who he's talked to at this time, but no commitments yet. We'll also need more than one."

"I think that it's a great idea. You already know that she's reliable and a hard worker, but she doesn't have any experience."

"She's lined up an evening course in Greensboro starting next week. It occurred to me that I should take it too. Even with two regular bartenders, we should have a backup. "

"So do it. I think that having an attractive young woman bartender is a brilliant idea."

"That sounds rather sexist, Olivia."

"Just good business sense."

"That's what Erik said."

***

Chris

Derrick got back to me later that afternoon.

"Erik's on board for you to be our primary bartender. He has worked with a couple of guys who have had portable bars at events that he's done. They're interested in part time work, but not full time. Would you register both of us for that course? Olivia and I think it would be an excellent idea for me to be trained and licensed as a backup. Get with Olivia to use our business credit card."

January 9 thru February 21

Chris

We got Amy moved in and she started working in the restaurant. She seemed to quickly assimilate into the staff. She wanted to work the club, so Olivia hired another server for the restaurant side. Derrick and I took the bartending course and got our licenses. The construction didn't get finished in time for a Valentine's Day opening, but everything is now done. There was much discussion about names for the businesses. A consensus was eventually reached: the restaurant was named 'Olivia's', and the club was named 'The Beat Goes On'. We all agreed that would most likely be shortened to 'The Beat'.

Everyone involved who was on social media had been hyping the opening scheduled at 4:00 on February 22nd. The local weekly paper had done a nice piece in last week's edition. Derrick had placed much larger food orders than usual with the various vendors. We were as ready as we could be

Friday, February 22

Morning

Chris

I woke up with Tom spooning me and could feel his morning erection against me. I rolled over and hugged him. I reached down and stroked him a couple of times.

"I'm too wound up this morning to make love, Tom. I need to get up. I promise, tonight."

We had breakfast and Tom was ready to leave for work.

"What are you going to do all day? The Beat doesn't open until four."

"Probably just do a final check of everything, busy work, go over things with Tim. Everyone's excited."

"Tim?"

"The other bartender. Erik's worked several events with him in the past. It'll be good to have someone experienced there. Although he only wants to work part-time, he agreed to work all of next week until he feels that we have things under control. You are coming over tonight, aren't you?"

"I wouldn't miss it. I made arrangements to leave work early so that I can be there by 3:30."

"Good. We may have to press you into working if it gets too crazy tonight."

"I half expected that. Let Mom know that I'll be there."

We shared a hug and kiss, and he departed for work.

***

I walked over to the restaurant. There was definitely a buzz in the air. I helped Olivia where I could, to keep busy. Tim came in around 2:00 and we did the final prep for the bar. Shiloh arrived and was talking with Erik. Amy came down at about the same time. We all sat down for the traditional pre-service staff meal around 3:00. I wasn't aware there was such a thing, but we had a busy night ahead and the staff needed to eat, of course.

Olivia's was on the right side of the building, with The Beat on the left. The function room was in the middle, designed to be a sound buffer between the other two sections. Both sides of the building had separate entrances, but there also was a hallway connecting the three sections, with a swinging door at both ends. Amy and I walked down the hall to Olivia's and peeked thru the window. It was practically full. I saw Tom talking with his mom. He must have seen me through the door, as he came over. We left the crowd for The Beat. Amy's reaction was, "Look at how many people are in Olivia's. We never have that many people at this time of day. I think that our friends and neighbors are really excited and want to be sure that they can get in."

4:00 PM

Chris

Erik had the swinging door propped open, with a wide ribbon strung across the opening. He had Shiloh standing by with her camera. Derrick found Arnold Doucette, the Chair of the Zoning Board, and brought him and his wife down the hallway. Erik handed Arnold a pair of scissors and the ceremonial ribbon cutting took place, documented by Shiloh. The crowd surged in and our work began.

Erik said a few words of welcome and started the music flowing. People immediately started dancing even though it was still early. Amy, Oliva, and two other waitresses, Michelle and Peggy, were offering Hors d'Oeuvres to the crowd, as well as taking food and drink orders. Tim and I were slammed. We had previously devised a division of duties plan for tonight. Mine were to pull the drafts, pour wine, and make simple mixed drinks. Tim made the fancier drinks, of which there were only a few orders. We both worked together fulfilling the remaining drink orders and taking food orders from those sitting at the bar.

The Beat had a limited menu that featured classic pub favorites. All were quick to make, so the food was coming out fast. I saw Tom food running and busing. Erik kept the music going, the crowd was having a good time, and Tim and I eventually got a breather. I restocked supplies and stored the freshly washed glassware, while Tim refilled our bottled beer fridge and checked the kegs.

Some of the initial crowd started leaving, and were replaced by others. The Beat was near or at capacity all night. Shiloh spent all evening mixing with the crowd, taking photos, with the intent of posting them and creating a social media presence.

We sold a lot of beer, but Tim, the servers, and I were all carefully monitoring to ensure that no one was being overserved. Erik in particular wanted The Beat to have a reputation that it was a fun destination to go to listen to music and dance. He made it clear that he wanted to discourage heavy drinking and all the problems that it engendered.

The crowds had thinned by closing time, and the stragglers all headed home. Erik and Olivia had developed a closing checklist which we started on. The main job after making sure that all the customers had left and the building was secured, was cleaning so that it was ready for tomorrow. We all sat down to have the staff shift-ending beer once that was done, another restaurant tradition that I wasn't familiar with. Erik thanked us all for a job well done. The overwhelming consensus was that everything went remarkably smoothly. Tom and I headed home. It was after midnight by now, and we were too tired to do anything but head right to bed.

Saturday, February 23

Chris

Tom agreed to work again tonight if needed, so we walked over to The Beat around 2:00. Tim and I got the bar set up. Tom went over and spent some time with Olivia. We had our staff meal around 3:00, and were ready to go when the doors opened at 4:00. The initial surge was less than last night, but the place was packed by 6:00. Tim had already switched out two empty beer kegs. Erik kept the music flowing and the crowd was in a festive mood.

Shiloh had posted several pictures on social media last night and was busy documenting people enjoying themselves again tonight. Amy was constantly taking orders and delivering food. Dr. Kate and her husband, Samantha and Brian, Susan and Joe, and many others stopped in throughout the night.

The only unpleasant incident occurred around 9:00. Justin Russell and two of his buddies had come in an hour earlier. They had clearly been drinking prior to their arrival and were loud and vulgar, annoying the nearby tables.

Amy came up to the bar and said, "The three at table 14 want a pitcher, but I've already served them one and they already seem pretty drunk."