Life in a Small New Hampshire Town Pt. 07

Story Info
A budding romance, a pragmatic sheriff, a bureaucrat.
9.7k words
4.7
3.1k
2

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 08/15/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As with the other chapters, this can be read as a stand-alone story, but reading the earlier chapters will give you a fuller understanding of the characters and their motivations and interactions with others.

Get comfortable, have a glass of your favorite beverage within reach, and immerse yourself in life in a small New Hampshire town. I have attempted to develop a story that integrates new and existing characters into the daily of life in Appleton: their joys, triumphs and accomplishments, as well as the trials and tribulations we all experience in today's complicated world. As in real life, there is drama, humor, romance, a bit of philosophy and, this being Literotica, sex. Relax and enjoy!

Everything portrayed in this story is a product of my imagination. It was conceived, written and edited by real live humans. No AI involved.

My gratitude and thanks to both my anonymous friend and Pepere for their editing skills and perceptive suggestions. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone.

Tuesday, April 2

Amy

Alicia called around one to inform me of her arrival.

"Park on the left side of the building. You should see my car there. I'll be right down."

I went downstairs and out to meet her. We finally had had a spell of seasonally warm weather and most of the residual snow was gone, leaving only a few small piles from plowing left to melt away, taking the final reminders of winter with them. Going outside without a winter parka on felt good.

Alicia stopped in front of me, a smile lighting up her face, set her overnight bag down, and engulfed me a warm hug.

"Hi, Sis. It's great to see you and to have some time together again. I've missed having you nearby."

"Let's go up to my place and I'll show you around." I grabbed her bag and led the way. I suggested that she use the bathroom to refresh herself if needed, then we could go down to Olivia's Restaurant and grab a quick lunch.

***

Olivia

Lunch service was winding down when Amy and her sister came in. There was no doubt that they were sisters, sharing the same stunning good looks: Tall, athletic, and identical warm, friendly smiles.

"Olivia, this is my big sister, Alicia. Alicia, this is Olivia, one of the partners in this enterprise."

"Nice to meet you, Olivia. My mom told me how nice you and Derrick were to them when they were up here last month. Mom asked me to thank you for inviting them to stay in your guest bedroom."

"We enjoyed their company."

Amy

I said, "I thought that we'd have some lunch, then I'd show Alicia around."

Alicia and I caught up with each other during lunch, then headed down the hall towards The Beat. We stopped to look at what, until then, had been designed to be a function room or special event venue. It had been rehabbed but was currently empty.

"This the space that they are thinking of utilizing as the daycare center. I think that they've been so busy with The Beat that they haven't promoted it as the event space they had envisioned."

Alicia seemed pleased. "It's a good-sized space. It would need to be divided into sections for childcare: play areas, sleep areas, preferably for multiple age groups, depending on how many and what ages you have. Bathrooms?"

"They are over there, in the corner. Derrick says that he can easily retrofit them with kid-sizes fixtures. Seen enough?"

"Yeah. Want to show me The Beat?"

Erik was setting up his equipment, and Ed, another part-time bartender, was doing the same for the bar. We approached Erik and I made the introductions.

"Erik, this is my sister, Alicia. Alicia, Erik. The Beat is Erik's baby."

"Nice to meet you, Alicia. Welcome to The Beat. Amy and Zack put on quite an exciting performance last week. Rumor has it that you're an even more experienced dancer than Amy."

"Well, I am five years older, she impishly responded with a knowing big sister grin, so I've had more time to practice, but", turning more serious added, "I'd be hard pressed to top what I saw in that video of Amy and Zack. Having both good music to dance to and a great dance partner makes all the difference."

This brought a smile to my face. "What's your plan for tonight, Erik?" I asked.

"This is what we've promoted. I was planning on playing our normal spectrum of music from opening 'til 7:00, then switch to Swing after that. I will keep on playing that as long as there is interest, then switch back. I've contacted the couples from last week, as well as Zack's parents, asking them to get the word out to any of their friends who may be interested. We've also put it out on social media, and had a short article and an ad in the local weekly paper. We're hoping for, and are prepared for, a large turnout, but really don't know what to expect."

That elicited a smile from Alicia. She responded with, "Wow! I think you have addressed everything needed to make this succeed. Amy and I are really looking forward to a fun evening."

***

Amy

Alicia and I spent the afternoon together, had dinner at my place, took showers, and got dressed. My dress tonight was very similar in style to last week's. It was black, tied with a red belt this time and black panties. Alicia's was pale cream accented by multiple brightly colored flowers. Her panties were a matching cream

We went down to The Beat around 6:30, grabbed a four-top, and waited for Zack and Michael to arrive. Almost every table was already occupied and the dance floor was hopping, all much busier than a normal Tuesday. We were sipping a beer when they arrived. Zack wore black dress pants, a fire engine red shirt, black suspenders, and a black bow tie. Michael was more conservative in navy slacks, a medium blue shirt, and a navy bow tie.

Introductions were made and the guys ordered their beer. Alicia and Michael engaged in 'getting to know you' small talk. Zack got up to greet a well-dressed couple who approached our table.

"Mom, Dad, I'm so glad that you could make it."

"We wouldn't miss it for the world after seeing you and Amy in that video." Turning towards the girls, she continued, "Hi, I'm Zack's mom, Elaine, and this is my husband, Frank."

The rest of the introductions were made, after which Elaine and Frank joined their friends at another table. I noticed that Sheriff Farnsworth, and a woman who I assumed to be his wife, seated at a nearby four-top with another couple. Erik took a break and pulled up a chair. He retrieved a playlist that he had created for tonight's Swing session and handed it to us, asking, "What do you think? I need your expert opinion."

Alicia was the first to respond. "Those are all good choices to dance to." The rest of us concurred. Erik returned to his DJ setup and announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, and all others. We're going to do things a little differently here at The Beat tonight. There's been a lot of interest in Swing dancing since the video of Amy and Zack hit social media last week. We're going to be playing some traditional swing numbers for the next hour or so. I'll keep playing swing as long as there is interest. First up is Chattanooga Choo Choo, by Glenn Miller. Please enjoy yourselves."

Olivia

About 20 couples migrated onto the dance floor. The group surprisingly was about equally composed of older couples and younger folks. Not surprising was that most of the older couples displayed skills that reflected years of experience. What the younger dancers lacked in skills they made up with enthusiasm. Amy and Zack's, and Alicia and Michael's mastery of Swing dancing made it a pleasure to watch them.

Alicia

Amy was right, Michael is as good looking as Zack. Our conversation at the table was typical of people who were just introduced. Michael seemed like a nice guy and was engaged in our conversation without trying to dominate it. He seemed like a laid-back person. I realized that he was an inch or two taller than my six foot one when we rose to take to the dance floor. It hasn't been easy to find a good match in a dance partner at my height.

It only took a minute to realize that Michael was indeed an accomplished dancer, certainly one of the best I had experienced. His moves seemed to effortlessly match my style. He made me glad that I had come up to Appleton. We took a break after several tunes. Amy and Zack also came back to the table.

"I need to use the lady's room. Want to join me, Amy?" We headed off together.

Michael

"You and Amy look as good in person as you did in that video."

"Thanks, Michael. Besides the fact that she's a nice person, is gorgeous, and seems to like me, it's nice to have someone experienced to dance with. You and Alicia also looked good together."

"She is a great partner. What do you know about her?"

"Not a lot. Amy asked her to come up after Erik scheduled a Swing night. I do know that she teaches dance some evenings."

The sisters returned at that point, and we all enjoyed sipping our beer. Sheriff Farnsworth and his wife stopped by to exchange pleasantries. Laura Farnsworth said, "I'm so glad that Erik did this tonight. Even though several of us informally get together for dance nights, it's nice to have a DJ keeping the music rolling and a real dance floor. There's a nice crowd here tonight. I hope this becomes a regular event. Do you know if Erik has plans to do so, Amy?"

Amy

"I only know that he was going to see how well tonight was received."

Chris and Tom stopped by after the Farnsworths moved on.

"We are really enjoying tonight, Amy. We unfortunately are only mimicking your moves. We'd like to start the dance lessons I asked you about last week."

"Sure thing. It's too bad that Alicia doesn't live up here. She's the experienced instructor."

This gave Michael the opportunity to ask, "How long will you be here, Alicia? I've really enjoyed tonight, and would look forward to the opportunity to do this again."

"I need to go back tomorrow. Work unfortunately interferes with pleasure. I'll keep in contact with Amy and try to get up again if this becomes a regular event. I've had fun tonight."

The crowd was thinning out by 9:30 or so, and Erik reverted to his normal playlist. Zack and I were dancing closely when a slow number began, and I whispered, "Alicia is staying with me so we can't get together tonight. I'll be finished around 11:00 on Friday and Saturday nights if you're interested and it's not too late. I'm assuming that you don't need to get up early either of the following mornings."

"I'd like that. Why don't we say Friday? Maybe we can do something before you start your shift Saturday."

Wednesday, April 3

Alicia

"Besides showing me the space, what do you know about their plans for childcare, Ames?"

"Not much. I'm sure that there's a need like everywhere. Why, are you interested?"

"Maybe. As much as I like our hometown, I'm ready for a new challenge. You seem to like it here."

"I do. Other than that one incident with the Russells, people here are pretty accepting. I haven't felt any racial tension. Erik and the rest of them are really nice to work with, and it's nice to be close to Chris again."

"I guess that I need to know a little more about exactly what they're interested in doing."

"Let me call Erik and set up a meeting."

***

Alicia

Erik, Shiloh, and Sierra arrived about an hour later. Amy introduced Shiloh, then went to see if Olivia was free.

"Olivia will be over in a minute. Derrick is tied up this morning. I'll leave you folks to your discussion in the meantime."

Amy returned to her apartment. We spent the next couple of hours addressing the issues as we each saw them. They were ready to move forward with the process if I was interested and the numbers financially worked out. The fact that they owned the space, and it wouldn't need much fit-up, probably tilted the equation in favor of the project. We discussed compensation which was acceptable to me. The way we left it, they'd get the permits and set up the space and I'd run the daycare if it was financially feasible. Erik would update me as things progressed. I'd need to periodically come up to manage the details and address any issues that arose.

He then added, "There's one other matter that I'd like to discuss, Alicia. Amy shared that you have taught dancing. Although it was evident that folks liked the opportunity to Swing dance last night, it was also apparent that many could use lessons. Would you be interested in teaching dancing one evening a week if you move up for the daycare center?"

"I love dancing and enjoy introducing others to Swing, Salsa, and Ballroom, so yes."

We said our goodbyes after a bit more discussion and I went back upstairs to Amy's.

"How did it go, Alicia?"

"It looks like I may become the next resident of Appleton if they get their permits."

Amy's face lit up with that news. She gave me a big hug and said, "I'm so glad."

I made a quick pit stop, grabbed my bag and headed downstate to my home.

Wednesday, May 23

Late Evening

Alicia

The decision had been made to go ahead with the daycare center. Derrick and his crew had completed the necessary changes to make the space functional. I had come up a couple of weekends to oversee and make specific suggestions when they had questions. I gave my notice once the end was in sight, and moved up to order and organize the small items and consumables that we'd need. I also interviewed several potential employees, including Jessie.

There conveniently was another open apartment in the building which I took. Even though Amy offered to share her space, I declined. As much as I love my sister, we both need our privacy, and I had become aware that Zack was a frequent weekend guest. I had met up with Michael a couple of times on my multiple trips to Appleton. The relationship had remained platonic up to this point, but I expect that could change.

My relationship with Tyler, as a 23-year-old a few years ago, was primarily sex-based. While it taught me the mechanics of sex, there wasn't much else to sustain it and it eventually fizzled out. My last partner spoiled me. While we established and maintained a mutually satisfying sexual relationship, it had evolved into so much more. I was sorry when he moved halfway across the country for his job. He invited me to join him, but he was moving to a large metropolitan area and I was comfortable in my small town, where for better or worse, everybody knew each other. I couldn't visualize myself living in a huge, impersonal city. We both realized that my moving there would put stresses on our relationship that it probably would not survive. We parted on good terms.

As a 28-year-old woman who matured in the late 20-teens, I now recognize both my desire for sexual fulfillment that is balanced with the need to be in a well-rounded, respectful, and loving relationship.

I wanted to slowly move into a new relationship, if that's where this is headed with Michael, at this point in my life. There's just something about him that I'm comfortable with. Nothing that he has done has raised any red flags so far. Au contraire, everything about him says 'Keeper'.

There certainly is the physical attraction, I can't deny that. We make very compatible partners on the dance floor with our similar heights and dancing backgrounds. I've realized, over time, that we share many other common interests. I know that it's early with Michael, but I can see a potential future for us. My current priority was to successfully open the daycare center. Any relationship with Michael would need to be put on hold for a bit longer.

All permits for the daycare center were in place, the space was all setup, and everything was sparkling clean for the final inspection tomorrow morning. I just needed to relax now in order to be fresh for the inspection in the morning.

Thursday, May 23

Alicia

I was waiting in the center for the State inspector to arrive.

He walked in at 10:00 sharp. I introduced myself as the manager with a welcoming smile. He had a serious, rather reserved look on his face, as he handed me his card: Calvin W. Montgomery III, Deputy Supervisor for Lake County, Child Care Licensing Unit, NH Department of Health and Human Services. I had been through several inspections at my old job and they were all pretty routine. He looked me up and down and a scowl crossed his face. I'm a young black woman who stands over six feet tall and he was a skinny, middle-aged white guy who was probably around 5' 2". His initial reaction to me was a bad omen that this inspection may not go well. He spent well over an hour trying to nitpick everything. I was able to answer all of his objections since I knew and understood the rules.

I breathed a sigh of relief as we were finishing up when he said, "I'm afraid that I can't issue you a permit."

I was flabbergasted. "Why not?"

"You're connected to a bar. We can't have our children exposed to that."

"You need to explain it to one of the owners if that is your position. Let's go next door so that you can speak to one of the principals.

Olivia

I was talking with Sheriff Farnsworth, who had stopped in for coffee, when Alicia, and a man who I assumed was the State Inspector, walked in. Alicia looked very angry.

"This is Mr. Montgomery. He needs to speak with you."

I asked, "How can I help you Mr. Montgomery?"

"I can't issue you an occupancy permit."

"Why not? We've complied with every requirement."

"Your space is connected to a bar. That would be detrimental to the children we are trying to protect. Good day." He abruptly turned and left.

Sheriff Farnsworth asked, "What was that all about, Alicia?"

Alicia

I explained my interactions with him. "He seemed to take an instant dislike to me. I've experienced instances of discrimination before, but this was pretty blatant. He tried hard, but couldn't find any violations. I'm pretty sure that he just made that up. I know the rules for daycare. Did you see that smirk when he left?"

Sheriff Farnsworth

"That little prick. Let me see what I can do."

"I've never heard you swear before, Elmer," Olivia said.

"Yeah, well, he is."

I followed him out and saw Montgomery leaving in his official State car. I pulled in behind him and observed him roll through a stop sign. Lights and siren were activated. He pulled over.

"License and registration."

"What did I do, Sheriff?"

"Failure to come to a complete stop."

I called DA Peterson after walking back to my cruiser, explained what happened with the inspection, and asked her to look into the child care rules. I found out which Deputies were in the area, gave them the plate number, a description of the car, and asked they to be on the lookout and stop the car for any observed violation. I wrote up his ticket and approached the car.

"You ran a stop sign and your inspection expired last month."

"It's a State car."

"You, the operator, are responsible. Between them, the fines are $175 and 4 points. You already have 4 points, so please drive carefully. We wouldn't want you to lose your license and not be able to do your job. Have a nice day."

He looked pissed as he drove off. DA Peterson called me back.

"What have you got for me, Abby?"

"I called a friend in the Hillsborough County HHS's office. Mr. Montgomery totally made that up. He also used to work down there. His reputation was, how shall I say, less than stellar. Her exact words were 'He's a prick'. They were glad when he was transferred up here."