Life in a Small New Hampshire Town Pt. 08

Story Info
Drama, growing romances, skinny dipping and sex in Appleton.
11.9k words
4.72
4.1k
4

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 08/15/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This chapter is complete as a standalone story, but reading the earlier chapters will give you a fuller understanding of the characters and their development, motivations and interactions with others.

While this is fiction, it does represent aspects of small-town life. There's drama, normal daily interactions between the residents, growing romance for certain couples and of course, sex. Please, take some time to relax and enjoy this taste of small-town life!

Everything portrayed in this story is a product of my imagination. It was conceived, written and edited by real live humans. No AI involved.

My gratitude and thanks to both my anonymous friend and Pepere for their editing skills and perceptive suggestions. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone.

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Chris

Tom came over to The Beat about an hour before closing. He enjoyed a beer at the bar, chatting with me as business slowed for the night. He was joined by Zack a half an hour later. Tom came behind the bar and helped me with my closing duties once I announced 'Last Call'. Zack joined Amy who was busy clearing tables as customers left. We finished my bar closing and helped Amy with her duties. We were ready to leave once all the tables were wiped clean, the chairs placed upside down on the tables, and the floor cleaned.

Amy asked, "Are you guys doing anything fun tomorrow?"

I looked at Tom and said, "We haven't discussed it yet."

Amy responded with, "It's supposed to warm into the mid-nineties. We were thinking of going swimming."

"Maybe we should go to Myer's Falls, Tom. I've been intrigued by it ever since we hiked up there last fall. It's going to be hot and tomorrow is Sunday."

"Are you sure that you're up for it, Chris?"

"Myer's Falls? What's Sunday got to do with it?"

"Ask Zack about it, Amy. If I can convince Tom to go, and you want to come after Zack explains what's involved, call me in the morning."

I glanced over at a deeply blushing Zack. "Why are you blushing, Zack. You have been there before, right?"

"Not for years and not on a Sunday."

Amy asked, "Will someone please tell me what I'm missing here?"

"Tom took me up there last September, but it was too late in the season to swim then. It's about a 20-minute hike up a trail to a beautiful little waterfall. At the base, there is a sizable pool that is used for swimming, specifically skinny dipping. If I remember, Mondays and Wednesdays are for boys, Tuesdays and Thursdays are for girls, Fridays are co-ed older teens, Saturdays are family days with swimsuits required, and Sundays are for adults. The odd thing is that that falls are owned by the town of Appleton. Rules, including no cameras and no 'spying' are self-enforced. Did I get everything right, Guys?"

Tom and Zack both nodded yes and Zack said, "The only thing I'd add is that it is clothing optional, but clothed voyeurs are definitely discouraged."

I said, "I'd like to go, with the caveat that if there are not similar numbers of males and females, I may not want to stay, Tom."

"I'm game."

"Amy?"

"I'm also game. You never told me about Myer's Falls, Zack."

Zack was blushing again. "We're still in the early stages of our relationship. I didn't want to put you in an awkward position if skinny dipping wasn't your thing."

"Thank you for being so considerate, but you needn't have worried. I'm comfortable with my body. I agree with Chris, though. I may not want to stay if there's a disproportionate number of men."

Tom responded with, "I don't think that'll be a problem, at least I've never heard that it was. You would hear about inappropriate behavior rather quickly in a small town. Another unwritten rule is that single males are discouraged although two gay males are not. Actual sexual contact is not only actively prohibited, it will usually be followed up with a visit from the Sheriff's office. Everyone wants to keep this tradition safe and comfortable for all to enjoy." There were affirmative head nods all around. "I'd suggest that we only take one car, as there is limited parking."

"Amy and I have to be at work by 3:00, so can we be ready to leave by 11:00? Why don't we pick them up at her place at 11:00, Tom?" Everyone agreed again. "Good night, Amy, Zack."

Tom said, "I remembered that you said we should go there this summer last fall," while we were walking to our apartment. "I guess that I was feeling a bit like Zack in that I didn't want you to feel pressured into going."

I stopped walking, embraced Tom, and gave him a lingering kiss. "That's one of the things I like about you, you're so thoughtful. I've never been skinny dipping. It seems a bit like a rite of passage, and there's safety in numbers by going with Amy and Zack. It's also going to be hot tomorrow."

"I think you'll find that the water will quickly cool you down."

"That cold, huh?"

"Yep."

I took a shower when we got home, then we sat on the couch and enjoyed a glass of wine. Although Tom works a normal day job, I had just finished a busy Saturday night shift at The Beat, so a shower and some time to unwind always feels good.

There are some nights that Tom is already in bed and asleep when I get home since he has to leave for work by 7:30. Those are the exceptions. He usually waits up for me. I'm off Mondays and Tuesdays, so we are able to enjoy dinner together, usually at home but occasionally in Greensboro. He comes over a little before closing and walks me home most Fridays and Saturdays. We have some together time Saturdays and Sundays until I start at 3:00. I was concerned that our different schedules might lead to conflict when I started working evenings, but both of us seem happy with what we have. I know that I am. I've never been in a relationship before, and, therefore, haven't experienced the emotions that I have with Tom. He's opened up the world of sex to me, and I worry that I enjoy it too much, but given that sex is, and should be, a part of almost every adult relationship, it's a bonus when it's so good. There's fortunately so much more to the rest of our relationship for me be too worried. I like Tom. He's kind and gentle, loyal and protective, good looking, smart, has a good job, is a great cook, is fun to be with, and enjoys many of the same things that I do. What's not to like? I think that I'm falling in love.

"You're looking contemplative, Chris. Everything alright?"

"Yeah. Just thinking about us and how much I like you."

"I feel the same way about you."

"It's getting late and I'm tired. Let's go to bed." We did, but didn't fall asleep until we made slow, passionate, and ultimately satisfying love.

Sunday, July 7

Chris

We woke up, made love again, though maybe a little more energetic this time. It was morning after all. Tom took a shower while I made coffee, Tom then made French toast while I showered. He suggested that we leave our phones at home. We dressed in shorts and tee shirts, packed water, some wraps and towels, and headed over to pick up Amy and Zack who were waiting outside for us.

"Morning, Guys. Ready for an adventure?"

Amy seemed enthusiastic. "I've not been skinny dipping as an adult, not since high school, but I do want to assess the situation before shedding my clothes." Zack nodded agreement.

I was having second thoughts, but didn't want to back out as I was the one who first broached the subject. It's one thing to swim naked with a couple of friends, quite another to have dozens, maybe hundreds of others I don't know, especially if there were leering 'dirty old men' amongst them. Giving myself an out, I agreed with Amy. "I second that thought. I'm a bit nervous."

Tom chimed in with, "Let me know immediately if you get uncomfortable at any time, and we'll leave. My experience in high school was that the ones who are already there notice new arrivals, greet them, and then return to what they were doing. The exceptions were that close friends may come over and chat, but remember that they're all already naked."

Zack confirmed what Tom had said. "I haven't been here as an adult, but that's how it was back then. If anything, teenagers who were probably just beginning their exploration of the opposite sex were more likely to gawk. I think that you'll find many older, married couples here today."

"Really?"

"I know that my parents occasionally come here."

"I'm not sure that I'm ready to be naked in front of your parents, Zack"

"Relax, Amy. First, I have no reason other than it's hot to believe that they'll be here today. Second, they already like you if they are here, and thirdly they're dancers like you and are comfortable with their bodies. You may get a couple more glances from others because you're young, attractive, and female. Just quickly shed your clothes and jump into the water, but fair warning, the water is likely to still be cold. Everyone will be back to their conversations or greeting the next arrivals when you come back out. The same goes for you, Chris."

Zack's little speech somehow relaxed me. The parking lot already had about a dozen vehicles there. We found room, but there weren't many other spaces left in the little parking area. We hiked in for 20 minutes or so, and found that there were 25 to 30 people there. A few were in the water. The rest were sitting on some of the boulders or lying on towels on the narrow sandy beach or on the grass above the stream's banks. The grass had been mowed somehow. There was one group of four who had carried folding beach chairs and a beach umbrella in and were having a picnic.

There was a diversity of ages. We were on the younger side, with several couples in their 30s and 40s and the group with the chairs must have been in their 60s or 70s. Everyone was naked. I expected to see naked people swimming, but hadn't expected all the nudity lying around. I guess that the water is too cold to stay in for very long. I realized that Dr. Kate was approaching as we were undressing. I must have looked surprised because she said, "Chris, Amy, Tom, this is my husband, Joe. Isn't it a lovely day to enjoy one of Appleton's little treasures? Don't look so shocked, Chris. You young folks don't have exclusive rights to appreciate skinny dipping and an all over tan. I was talking with your mom this morning to see if they were going dancing at The Beat next Tuesday, Zack. She mentioned that they may be up here later today." Amy cringed at this.

"The fact that they'll be here is explicit acceptance that they enjoy nudity, Amy. Besides, I can let you in on a little secret: they like you and think that you and Zack make a lovely couple." This caused Zack to blush. "Well, enjoy your swim," she said.

We finished stripping and waded into the pool. It is a mountain steam in New Hampshire, and while it was over 90 today, the water was definitely cold. Not cool, cold. We stayed in for about ten minutes and returned to our towels. We had new neighbors who were just disrobing to our left.

"Deputy Hinsdale, hi."

He turned to me and said, "Hi, Chris. Let's go with Al under the circumstances. This is my wife, Maryanne. This is Chris and Amy, Honey. They both work at The Beat. I met them the night of the Russell incident. Amy's sister, Alicia, runs the daycare where Elyssa goes. I'm afraid that I don't know your friends, Chris."

Introductions were made, then Al and Maryanne headed for the water. Sunscreen was applied before we settled down. We didn't want to burn the parts that don't usually see the sun. It surprisingly didn't seem sexual at all. Looking around, I noticed a minority of people had all-over tans. I couldn't help but notice how much men's penises and testicles bounced around as they walked or ran by. I'll have to ask Tom about that later.

Samantha and Brian, proprietors of the Appleton Country Store, arrived and setup to our right. They stripped down after a bit of small talk, and headed for the water. We dipped into the pool two more times before we had to leave. Amy and I unfortunately had to work, so we headed down the trail.

Amy

We met Zack's parents about halfway to the parking area. I was glad that Dr. Kate had given us a heads-up, but appreciative that we met them on the trail. Seeing other Appleton residents naked was one thing; seeing your boyfriend's parents would have been on a different level.

"Dr. Kate said that you may be coming here today. Sorry that we can't chat, but Chris and I are headed to work."

"Nice to see you, Amy, Zack. You too, Chris and Tom. We should get together sometime when you don't have to work."

"Sure. I understand that we may see you at The Beat Tuesday night. Enjoy the afternoon meanwhile."

"Are you okay, Amy?" Zack asked after we started walking again.

"Yeah. That was easier than I expected. It was better meeting them fully-clothed on the trail than bare-assed naked up there. It sounded like there was an invite to join them here another time."

"I believe that you're right. You saw several people you know up by the falls, however, and you seemed to handle that okay. Besides, they're my parents and I've never seen them naked, nor have they seen me naked since I was a toddler. Yikes! I was worried about you, but I'm now worried about my own reaction." Chris, Tom, and I all chuckled at him.

Chris

I contemplated the day's events during a slow time at work. I was surprised at how comfortable I was with all the nudity. Tom and Zack were right. No one seemed creepy. I did feel a couple of men looking at me and did see several discretely checking Amy out, not to mention a couple of women also casting long glances at her, maybe even with longing glances. It just seemed normal for the situation since everyone was nude. Who knew that there were so many nudists in Appleton: the town shrink; a Deputy Sheriff and his wife; the town's storekeepers, and many I didn't know but recognized from my job. I'd only seen one other penis before Tom, and that was in high school and only briefly. I admit that I was, hopefully discretely, checking out the males. Just like bodies in general, penises come in as many sizes, shapes, colors as the bodies they are attached to. I didn't see a single erection, which helped to settle my discomfort.

Thursday, July 18 5:05 PM

Tom

I was on my way home from my job in Greensboro. The weather forecast this morning predicted rain with the possibility of severe thunderstorms and the potential for hail this afternoon. The rain started just after I turned south onto NH 34, the main north/south route through Lake County. It began as a gentle rain, but it transformed into a deluge by the time that I was a couple of miles north of Appleton. I had been following an 18-wheeler and we both slowed down as the storm peaked and the road became awash with standing water. I noticed the winds picking up and started to pull over to the side when the winds dramatically increased, shaking my car. The semi started sliding left, then flipped on to its left side and slid into a northbound charter bus, knocking the bus onto its side.

A 911 Operator 5:38 PM

"911, what is your emergency?"

"My name is Tom Tyndall. I'm on State Highway 34 just south of Sand Hill Road in Appleton. The wind just flipped an 18-wheeler onto its side, which then slid into a charter bus, flipping the bus onto its side. Both lanes are blocked and the contents of the truck are strewn everywhere. There's also a couple of trees down."

"Do you know if there are any injuries?"

"This just happened and......."

"Mr. Tyndall? Mr. Tyndall? Tom? Can you hear me?......"

911 Dispatch 5:39 PM

"Attention all first responders: We have multiple reports of a potential mass casualty event on NH 34 in Appleton, just south of Sand Hill Road. Multiple vehicles involved, including an 18-wheeler, a charter bus, multiple trees down across the road, and at least one car trapped under a downed tree. The road is blocked in both directions. All available responders proceed to NH 34 south of Sand Hill Road. Use caution approaching the scene."

Sheriff Farnsworth 5:40 PM

I was about 20 minutes south of the accident site and asked for the current locations of my Deputies and their ETAs.

"Hinsdale here, Sheriff. I'm approaching from the south, ETA 1 minute."

"Assess the situation and let me know the status, Al."

"Roger that."

Deputy Hinsdale 5:50 PM

"Hinsdale here, Sheriff. No casualties, but multiple injuries, one serious. Male, in his 20s is trapped in his car which was hit by a falling pine tree. We need someone with a chainsaw and the jaws of life to extract him. Unconscious, but breathing. Location: North of the accident site. The bus had 40 teenagers, ages about 13 to 18, with 4 chaperones and the driver. There appears to be several broken bones, but my initial assessment is mostly traumatized kids otherwise. The truck driver is shaken up but okay. He said that he was hit by a windshear that flipped him before he could stop."

Sheriff Farnsworth 6:01 PM

Every available ambulance and EMT in Lake County north of the accident was on their way by the time I arrived at the site. The Appleton Rescue Squad was already on site with their single ambulance from the south. They were triaging the bus occupants and stabilizing the broken bones. The Town Highway Department had two trucks and several men clearing the tree off the car, as well as other trees blocking the road. I could hear sirens approaching from the north. As it was still raining, I had one of the Appleton school buses enroute to get the kids who didn't need hospitalization out of the rain and eventually to a shelter.

Shelter may be a problem as the Appleton School, the largest capacity building in town, was closed for renovations. I called Olivia's and reached her. I explained the situation, and asked if we could temporarily bring the kids to either the restaurant or The Beat until the road was open and we had a plan for them.

"Of course, Sheriff. I'll also make sure that they get something to eat."

"Thanks, Olivia."

Sheriff Farnsworth 6:15 PM

The children on the bus who collectively had 2 broken legs, 3 broken arms, 2 dislocated shoulders, and a concussion, were on their way to Greensboro Hospital, accompanied by one of the adult chaperones. One of the broken arms, a 13-year-old boy, insisted that he wanted to ride 'up front' in the ambulance and was allowed to. The male in the car that was hit by the tree had been extracted and was being rushed to the hospital. He was still unconscious but breathing, had a broken arm, and possible internal injuries. It was at this time that I learned the identity of the male, Tom Tyndall, Olivia's son. I had one of my Deputies wait on the northside of the accident site while I rushed back to find Olivia.

"Come with me, Olivia."

"Sheriff Farnsworth?"

"Tom's car was hit by a falling tree. He's alive, but unconscious on the way to the hospital, has a probable concussion, and a broken arm. That's all I know at this time."

"Oh, God. No!"

We started for the door when Olivia said, "Wait," and ran into The Beat. I saw her approach Chris and they both came running back towards me. I said, "Buckle up. This is going to be a fast ride," when we got to my cruiser. "I'm going to be tied up with this accident for a few hours. I'll come up to the hospital as soon as I can." I transferred them into Deputy O'Brien's cruiser when we got to the accident site, and sent them on their way.

I went back to The Beat. Derrick was there and I filled him in with what I knew. He was leaving for the hospital, taking a long detour around the still blocked road. I found out that the bus was from the Manchester area and was headed to the water park at the Alpine Glen Ski Area. The chaperones had reached at least one of each of the kids' parents, and all the kids here had spoken with a parent. Because of the limited lodging in Greensboro, it was decided that only parents of the 8 hospitalized kids would come up. The charter bus company was sending another bus that was bringing the eight kids' parents and would eventually pick up the kids and continue up to Alpine Glen.