Life, Love, and a Career Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That next morning I woke with greater confidence in our relationship, my role in our relationship and with greater clarity on where I wanted to know I wanted Kate by my side.

Not only one day as my wife, lifelong lover, but also as my business partner. What she shared with me the previous night would need to wait as other decisions took priority.

***

As January was coming to a close, we were sitting outside of Rhonda's office for our final resume review and discussion for the upcoming job fair scheduled the first week of February. I can feel Kate's leg shaking, she looks very nervous.

I touched Kate's leg saying "Trust me, I have a plan and believe me, you are amazing and skilled like no other in your class." I squeezed her hand. "Don't be shocked by what I do. Okay?"

Kate just nodded.

Rhonda's door opens and as a fellow classmate left, Kate and I stood walking in. As Rhonda closed the door she invites us to take a seat at her conference table. I didn't sit yet but walked closer to Rhonda, extended my arms and wanted her to hug me.

As Rhonda wrapped her arms around me, I whispered in her ear that once we graduated we hoped that we would hear from her and see if we would be able to dive deeper into those buried feelings. I then kissed her cheek, broke the hug and took a seat.

Once seated, I started. "Rhonda, Kate and I are looking to be hired at the same company in the Pittsburgh area. We have housing arranged" I pause, taking Kate's hand in mine, "and would prefer a company that is looking for two women seeking to grow professionally."

"Kate, I believe, would like a role in the back office of a company working with the Finance, Payroll, Benefits, Compensation; I am looking for that HR Recruitment type role."

Rhonda then handed each of us a printed copy of the company names that will be at the job fair next week. She discusses in detail for a few minutes the ones we should look at and the ones we do not. Some are banks, manufacturing, utilities, and of course I see Ken's company along with other agencies.

"Rhonda," I pause holding Kate's hand, "I would like us to avoid all male recruiters. I prefer to not go into detail but I am asking that you please understand this. I feel it will be best for me."

By using myself as the excuse, I deflect away from Kate, protecting her, easing her concerns from the previous issue.

I do not go into details and left my comment at that. I assured her we would consider all of the companies she has suggested. We ended the meeting but before we left her office I saw a look of uncertainty on Rhonda's face. Purposely, I didn't engage in any further physical contact with Rhonda. I needed her to see a clear path to making the next move.

The following week we were ready to go. I looked at Kate and nodded my head; she looked at me and did the same. We turned and looked in the mirror both smiling.

"Beth, we look amazing. We are professionals, soon to be graduates and going to find our first real jobs."

I could only nod my head as we turned and headed out of our apartment, portfolios in hand, resumes ready; ready starting our career climb.

I was slightly overwhelmed when I walked into the gymnasium seeing the rows and rows of tables and companies in attendance to collect resumes and potentially interview us. There was a "Student Only" and "Employers Only" sections curtained off to the left. I saw to the back right an area curtained off with a table in front that said "Interviews". This looked really cool! I started to get really nervous but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked over and saw Kate smile and suddenly relaxed.

Our game plan was to walk up and down each row with the check sheet providing tick marks of who we wanted to speak with. At one point I looked over, Kate had red "XX" next to a few, meaning there must have been males only.

We turned the corner for the last row and my stomach retched immediately. There stood Liz and Ken.

They didn't see us but in unison we both put a red X on the checklist.

With a final list of which companies we wanted to meet, we started off. Like two peas in a pod we walked and talked to the companies. The middle aged recruiter from a large bank seemed interested in our background but wasn't eager to tell us if they were hiring immediately. There was a smaller well known bank and the older woman was excited that we stopped by. We set an interview for later that day in the meeting area to learn more.

We stopped at several tables to engage with recruiters. We met with and engaged with several including, two women from a well-known manufacturing company, a woman from a metallurgical manufacturing company, and a delightfully woman from a non-banking well known financial institution all of which we agreed to meet later.

It was almost lunch time when trouble struck.

As we were heading to the refreshments area, I saw Ken with Rhonda by his side and they started walking our way. I took Kate's hand. I told her it was alright, I would handle things. She squeezed my hand firmly.

"I got you baby, I got you." I reassured her.

We all stopped at a comfortable distance from each other and nodded our heads cordially. Rhonda asked if we could please follow her and Ken for a brief moment.

I hesitated, "Rhonda, I do not see the need."

"Beth, Late, please allow me a moment." Ken was very soft spoken and almost apologetic.

We agreed then followed Rhonda. The four of us stepped outside of the main gymnasium hall and down to a small room which looked to be a smallish classroom. Rhonda opened the door asking us to have a seat.

Ken looking directly at Kate started, "I would like to apologize for the behavior of a former employee." He paused, "Rest assured that had he been aware of an uncomfortable situation, I would have handled it immediately."

In a slightly shaken voice, Kate spoke up. "Ken, thank you, it is in the past. Beth took care of things for me and with her support I have been able to move forward. But I do thank you for your words."

"Look", Ken stopped then looked at both of us. "Come back to work for Joe, Liz and me." He lowered his head and placed his hands flat on the table.

"I cannot imagine the stress you were under or the potential stress and emotions that could be associated with returning. However, Joe, Liz and I really want you back."

He looked at Kate and then to me, "We are serious, you have an open invitation and this offer is good until Labor Day. I will not consider interviewing anyone. You both have great potential and so much to offer us."

Kate was quick to reply, "Please allow Beth and I to talk about this."

Then I interrupted, "Ken, three other companies are interested in interviewing us. Today alone we have PNC, Alcoa and Koppers lined up."

He frowned. Rhonda looked sad and this was an opportunity for me and Kate to potentially use this to our advantage.

"Ken might Kate and I speak to you in private? I looked at Rhonda and with my eyes looked at her as if asking her to step out. "Just for a moment, please Rhonda?"

As Rhonda stepped out of the room, I spoke up. "Ken I am not certain what you were made aware of by Liz or more importantly if you know what occurred. What I would like to share with you is private and I ask respectfully that it stays between the three of us."

He nodded.

I started by telling him the hell Kate went through leaving nothing out. I laid out in explicit detail the pure hell that Kate was put through, I laid out her tears, her emotions and her struggles; our struggles.

"Ken" I was emphatic, "What would you have done if that was your daughter, niece, or girlfriend?"

I continued sharing how we got past it, telling our story. Our friendship, relationship and love for each other. I continued with the conversation, struggle and then acceptance by my family and the struggle but more importantly the non-acceptance by Kate's family.

I never let go of Kate's hand.

Kate then squeezed my hand and I looked at her. She nodded then smiled slightly.

"Ken" Kate spoke up, "I trust Beth with my life. I will follow her path and will do what she asks. She is my rock and my inspiration, like Monica to you, I can only assume, Monica is like that to you and I am certain she means the world to you."

Looking at me she continued, "Ken, if you can't accept what we just shared, who we are, what we were, and now are, then we will look elsewhere but it is up to Beth."

She stood, I followed her and said to Ken, "Allow us to think about it sir. I promise you should we work for you there will be nothing but desire to succeed, professionalism and nothing out of the ordinary. We will not engage as a couple while at work. We both promise that."

He stood, shook our hands and thanked us. "Please call me either way and know the door is open. We will gladly accept you back."

***

"Pomp and Circumstance" played in the background, individually Kate and I, filed in, listened to speeches, clapped and cried. We each walked across the stage, Kate was the Salutatorian, and smiled from ear to ear that entire day.

Me? Cum Laude. We hugged friends, and must have repeated "until we meet again" tons of times and we were off on our next challenge.

It was a day of partial sadness for my beloved Kate. Her parents were nowhere to be seen. One day, I promised her one day I would give them a piece of my mind for treating her like this. Thankfully, Chelle and my Mom took her in and celebrated with her.

******End of Chapter Three******

12