Life, Love, and a Career Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I slowly opened the powder room door to a crowd; three adults and our baby. I simply took Alexandra in my hands; I hugged her, and then kissed hers, Derrick's, Mom's, and lastly Kate's cheeks. I looked at Alexandra.

"I guess you're going to be a big sister soon."

On the day now known as my son's birthday, no longer Valentine's Day, Richard Derrick was welcomed to our family. Tall like his father with beautiful thick hair and a set of lungs like a lead singer. That might have something to do with the music I played throughout the pregnancy, my headphones on my tummy.

***

Our family or the family we had hoped for was complete. Kate's dream of being a mother, and me also wanting to be a mother yet more importantly to both of us, my mother, becoming a grandmother truthfully brought Kate and me more happiness that we had enjoyed in many, many years.

Derrick always joined us in bed when we went up for the night, but after a few months, he started returning to his bed after Kate and I were sound asleep.

***

Epilogue

In 1992, Dan finally popped the question to Chelle, to which she promptly responded that it was about time. They married in a nice little ceremony. As much as she wanted and as much as they tried, they were not able to conceive a baby. After three years they adopted a wonderful teenage boy from the local area. He has grown not only in his role as big brother but has also become a studious and wonderful young man. After earning two graduate degrees, is now faculty in the Information Technology and Computer Sciences programs at a prominent local university.

***

Two weeks after Richard's seventh birthday, I did not hear Derrick that morning taking his shower nor getting ready for work. I walked into his room only to see him lying flat on his bed. His hands folded on his chest and a smile on his face. I screamed for Kate and dialed 911. When the paramedics arrived they shared that he had passed several hours ago in his sleep as rigor mortis had set in.

I cried for weeks and while writing this I needed to pause and wipe my eyes.

He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, Section 59 with his Brothers at Arms. In 1984, Section 59 was dedicated on the first anniversary of the embassy attack. There is a plaque in the ground near a cedar tree with a moving inscription.

It seems he and Kate had a conversation years ago. He had given Kate the paperwork and his Last Will and Testament. Everything he had in the earthly world he left to Alexandra and Richard, his two children.

We stopped by during a recent trip to the Washington DC area. There was a nickel and a dime on his cross. We cried all the way back to the car.

"Till Valhalla" our dearest love Derrick.

***

It was a calm quiet Tuesday night when our home phone rang. Mom answered the phone and asked Kate to take the call; it was Allie. She called to let Kate know that her father had passed away. He had a heart attack and just passed while sleeping in his chair one afternoon while Allie was out shopping. Mother suggested we send flowers to Allie. Kate went to the funeral in support of her Mom.

When she returned home she was sad for a few days but the second night home, she admitted to me that in her heart and mind, he had died a long time ago.

Allie visited us every Mother's Day and usually the week following Thanksgiving. After he passed away she spent most summers at the beach or here in Pittsburgh with us playing with Alexandra and Richard. She passed away when Alexandra was fourteen and Richard was twelve. We all attended her funeral. Kate smiled the whole time introducing her grandchildren to her family, and me as her wife.

Kate shared at her wake that her mother and her had a closer relationship in the past years. She cried for nearly a full year when thinking of her.

I just wish for more understanding from parents to children who live and yearn to be different from what parents want.

***

The day I shutdown my laptop for the last time, I took a moment and looked out my office window. The sun was shining onto the grass of PNC Park. I smiled one last time and recalled what mom told me years and years ago. "Not until I was the boss would I be the one to make decisions." I actually laughed, for more than thirty years for which I was the boss, I listened to and did what so many others recommended.

Speaking of Mom, she met up with Dad a few years ago. We had celebrated Alexandra's twentieth birthday. After the party, Mom went to her first floor bedroom, as she wasn't able to climb the stairs as well, to take a nap. She said she was tired from the shopping, cooking and the festivities. When I went to check in on her she had peacefully passed.

I called out for Kate, Alexandra and Richard. We all knelt at her bedside and said a prayer of thanks for the extended years we had with her. I cried as I held her hand and asked her to kiss dad for me.

The following few weeks were the most challenging of my life but through it all, Kate was there. Right by my side holding my hand whispering reassurance that her and my dad were now reunited together catching up on the many years he missed.

***

In the past years, Kate and I have created and shared many memories. We had many good times and some not so good times, but what we leave behind is for our children and our grandchildren.

I truly hope that the children understand the work that Kate and I put into our business is for them to carry on as we pass the torch. It is now here for Alexandra and Richard to take and move forward building their lives.

The saddest day in my adult life, outside of my father dying or his funeral, or Mom's funeral, was the day I packed my desk.

The last two pictures I took off my desk were those which I still hold dearest in my heart. They were the ones that truly flipped my heart, soul and mind and pointed me forward.

The first, my father and I at the Styx concert during my high school years and the Haunted Hayride, from our days at Washington and Jefferson College. Both of which Kate gave to me for Christmas.

My heart, mind, soul and life I have given to her and her alone, my dearest Kate.

The End

All my love,

Aoife

12