All Comments on 'Life on the Run'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
BigJohn601BigJohn601about 11 years ago
A fun read.

Thanks. All of your stories are well written and enjoyable.

bruce22bruce22about 11 years ago
Good Read, as always.

I am sure that the running away was a sign of weakness. For all he knew the guy was armed. Your work carries with it information about living in Australia which is fascinating. Have you done anything about the life of the bushmen?

bruce22bruce22about 11 years ago
I did it again!

The first sentence in my comment should read "I am sure that the running away was a sign of intelligence and not weakness."

Sorry about that.

Scotsman69Scotsman69about 11 years ago
Lovely...

and it brings back fond reminiscences of my Australian ex and her life. Thank you.

Sidney43Sidney43about 11 years ago

Yes indeed, another good read about those lovely Aussie women, well some of them anyway. I have always wanted to visit down under, but will likely never make the trip because I really hate being cooped up on a plane for that long.

northlandernorthlanderabout 11 years ago
A good read

Thanks for a detailed, well researched story about life in the near desert conditions that exist in Australia, very believable.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleabout 10 years ago
Even better the second time

I just finished reading this for the second time, and I'm glad I did. Knowing how it turned out, I was in no big rush to get through it, and could enjoy the little humorous bits you planted here and there.

You did so much setting of the scene and establishing the characters with an economy of words. For example, that telling comment by Sandra that her breasts were freckled. She was a vivid character, yet all we knew about her was that everything about her was natural, she was tall, that she was very near to the age of the hero, and she had a sarcastic way of throwing out an idea to see if the hero would bite on it. Gradually we got to see her attitude toward the old homestead. She had fond memories of picnics by the river, sadness over its decline into a bunch of small puddles, yet could see the conflicting interests of farmers upstream, farmers near Dalley, and the people downstream. We learned from her comments that she had about given up on the place where she grew up, was sure that nothing could be done to save it, but couldn't tear herself away from it to live in the big city. You let her tell her own story.

To quote a line that's often aroused my suspicions, "It wasn't as much what you said as how you said it." Sometimes that's just a cover for a lack of research, but in this instance, it's true. I can just picture you psyching yourself up to write about this adventure, mentally putting yourself in the position of the hero and picturing his situation so you can feel it, before writing about it.

I must admit that I've been trying to learn from your work, and a few others. I am drawn to stories written by men who are retired, simply because I'm one, too. I can see now that what I need to do is read more of your stories twice, because there's a lot more to them than just spinning a yarn.

HighlandLaddieHighlandLaddieover 7 years ago
loved the farming slant on this one

very believable and sound....loved the way he got back at the two scammers...pay back is a bitch...nice one ....

Diecast1Diecast1over 1 year ago

Love the story, it is great. AAAAAA++++++

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
1284 Followers
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

SIMILAR Stories