Lockdown

Story Info
Isolation Brings Companionship.
11.1k words
4.47
6.8k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a work of fiction. All characters depicted are 18 years and over.

The alarm had not gone off yet but Lancelot was right on time. He moved up from the foot of the bed and settled next to his best friend and started licking her ear. It was not long before she was awake.

"Lancelot, quit it. It's not even seven o'clock yet."

But the dog was persistent and just went right on licking her ear. He was hungry and it was time for breakfast. Susan tried pushing him away but it did not exactly work. Lancelot knew it was not anything to worry about and just moved from her ear to her neck. He knew persistence always paid off with Susan. If he had fingers, he would have her wrapped around one of them.

Susan turned over to face the dog and got a lick on her nose for her trouble. She giggled and started petting Lancelot.

"Want some breakfast? Yeah, me too."

Just as she turned back over to get out of bed the alarm went off. Susan shut it off and went to her bathroom to use the toilet. When finished, she washed her face and looked at herself in the mirror. She saw a young woman who could pass for beautiful but at the moment was a little disheveled. Her 5'3" frame was shapely, her brownish hair was a little longer than shoulder length, and her face with her green eyes and pug nose was cute. There always appeared to be a glint in her eyes as if she was thinking something naughty. Her breasts were still shapely and did not sag and had nipples that stuck out at the moment. All in all not a bad package she decided. Too bad that no one would see it for the next few weeks, maybe even months.

Susan donned her robe and moved to her kitchen. Lancelot was right behind her and sat as she opened the pantry door an got out his dog food. She poured about a cup into his bowl and sat it down on the floor. Next she refilled his water dish and put it back on the floor. She watched Lancelot eat his food and smiled.

She loved her dog. He was an American Eskimo. They are an all white long haired with dark eyes and nose. Their tails usually curved over their back and their eyes reflected their intelligence as well as their happy dispositions. They are rather small in size at only about 25 lbs. but made up for that with their boundless energy and great intelligence. They were very easy to train and always loved their owners and family. Lancelot was no different from this description except that he was sometimes over friendly with strangers which occasionally led to problems if the person did not like dogs. But it was hard for anyone to resist such a beautiful and playful dog like an American Eskimo.

When Lancelot finished eating Susan started her breakfast which consisted of eggs and an English muffing with coffee this morning. When she finished eating she put the dirty dishes in the empty dishwasher, cleaned the table and counters, and then went to get ready for the day.

She turned on the small TV in the bathroom to listen to the news while she showered and dressed for the day. It was more of the same information about the COVID-19 virus. She had heard nothing but this kind of news for the last week and was tired of it already, but she had to keep up in case the situation changed, so she kept one ear open while she prepared for the day.

When she finished showering, brushing her teeth, applying a little makeup, and dressing in some jeans and a shirt, she went to her back door to let Lancelot out for a while to do his business. The trees in back were already budding out and some of her flowers were already in bloom. The back yard was not large but big enough for a small patio, a small flower bed, and some trees towards the back of the yard. While Lancelot was out she went upstairs to her study to turn on her computer and log in to the company network.

Susan had been working from home for the last two weeks and was already feeling somewhat isolated. She was just not used to working from home. She missed her friends and co-workers, her Fridays at the bar/restaurant they all went to, and her occasional dates on Saturday nights. She was trying, with only limited success, to cope with the situation, but it was hard for such a social person.

Her email in-box had 20 entries which she looked over. She needed to handle some items today and most of the others were just messages between her co-workers about the current situation. She replied to one or two of them and then went back downstairs to let Lancelot back in. He was waiting patiently at the door and when the it opened he came in and followed Susan back to her study.

The work never stopped, virus or no virus. So she spent the morning producing two reports and answering a few question from her co-workers via email. Just the usual routine stuff she did every day. But she liked it. She was using her college degree that she had worked so hard for to do her job and that pleased her because she actually liked what she did, and it paid a nice salary which paid for her car and home. Plus she was able to save a little for a rainy day which she might need if this virus situation lasted too long.

At lunch time she went back down to the kitchen to prepare some lunch. But first she stopped at her living room window to take a look out to see if anything was happening. It was a sunny day outside. The street was empty except for some cars parked in driveways. However, she spotted a man coming out of the house directly across the street. This was unusual because the townhouse was unoccupied most of the time. She knew someone owned it but in the three months she had lived here she had never seen anyone. It must be someone now working from home.

She watched as he opened the garage and brought out some manual garden shears and proceeded to start pruning the bushes which were a little overgrown. He was dressed in some shorts and a T-shirt and appeared fit from exercise. She could not see his face but what she could see was attractive from a physical perspective.

She went on to the kitchen and fixed some lunch for herself consisting of a salad and chicken bytes. Again, when she finished she put the dishes in the dishwasher and wiped everything down. All the time Lancelot watched her and followed her around. When she was finished she put him out again and went back up to her study. Only two weeks at home and she was already tired of the routine. She decided to spice it up with some music on the stereo. She put in a memory stick containing some soft rock and turned the volume to a low setting.

After thirty minutes she went to let Lancelot back in. After he came in she decided to check on her neighbor across the street before returning to work. She parted the curtains and saw that now he was trimming the tree in his front yard. He had a trash can out for the limbs which he was cutting into small pieces so they would fit. She could see his face now and it was pleasant to look at. He had a strong jaw with a crop of jet black hair. He was beardless and was working up quite a sweat from the work.

Susan was attracted to him right away. He was just the type man that she liked from a physical perspective. But of course, that is only half the story where people are concerned. But she was attracted enough to find out the total story. In the meantime, she had work to do.

She had more email when she returned and that meant more tasks to perform. At least they were keeping her busy so far.

**********

By five o'clock she was getting tired. She stood up from her chair and stretched. She was going to need a better chair if she kept working every day at home. She decided she had done enough for the day and shut everything down. Lancelot got up from his bed in the room and came over to Susan. She got down on her knees and petted the dog.

"How are you doing Lancelot? Have you been a good dog today? Want to go for a walk?"

The dog stood on his hind legs and barked once.

"Okay, let's go."

She went downstairs and grabbed Lancelot's leash off the hook and they went out the front door. Susan locked it behind her and the they went off down the block together. She noticed right away that the man across the street must be inside at the moment but the garage door was still open. She tried to walk the dog every day if possible just for the exercise. Sitting all day made this a compulsory activity to keep her rear end from becoming larger than a Mac truck, she thought. The afternoon was warm but the neighborhood was mostly shady so the walk was comfortable and Lancelot was the perfect companion. He could keep up with her fast pace and this was one of his favorite activities. He was also silent for the most part.

She saw a number of her neighbors out walking. It seems that a lot of people were walking at this time of day, more than usual. However, they were all keeping their distance to avoid contact with each other. Usually they were very sociable but when keeping a physical distance that was a little harder to do. But they did wave and say "Hi", but that was about it.

Susan and Lancelot followed their usual route which took about 45 minutes. When they rounded the corner onto their block Susan notice that her neighbor across the street was back out front sitting in a lawn chair under his freshly trimmed tree. He had changed clothes and was now wearing jeans and a casual shirt. Susan and Lancelot happened to be on that side of the street so they had to walk right past him.

"Hello, neighbor!" he said.

"Hi. I like your trimming job. Looks nice."

"Thanks. I like your dog. What's his name?"

"Lancelot."

"Your knight in shinning armor?"

"Exactly. And he's also the perfect gentleman."

"Well, that leaves me out of the running. I'm Jack Crawford by the way."

"Susan Thorpe. I haven't seen you around much."

"Yeah. I've been working in Colorado Springs the last four months for the military. But my company sent me home at the end of last week. This virus thing has everybody spooked."

"Tell me about it. I started working from home two weeks ago. I guess its tough on everyone being shut in all the time and having no social life."

"Yeah, it's weird. Its looking more and more like this could be a long term thing. I'm not sure how things are going to work out. Even whether I'll have a job or not in the end. It's very depressing."

"I know. I love my work but I can see where it might not last this way forever. I guess we all have to stick together to get through this. Do you have any friends or family around here?"

"No, they are all in California. I moved here for a job about two years ago, but it didn't last. I went on the road for a new company right after that and have been doing it ever since then. It has actually been pretty great until now."

"Well, I guess Lancelot and I should be getting home. But it was nice to meet you."

"Same here."

Instead of turning for home Susan stood there for a moment."

"Jack, would you like to come over? I know we should have some social distance between us but I can only stand just so much isolation. I could fix us some dinner."

Jack thought about it a minute. "Okay! I guess I can take a chance with you."

He smiled at her and it made her heart flutter a little.

"Great!"

He stood up from his chair and joined her on the sidewalk. They walked across the street together with Lancelot leading the way. Susan opened her front door and let Lancelot an Jack in.

"Nice place, Susan. My place is a little bare since I am not there very much. I guess I will have buy a little furniture to keep up."

"Oh I would not get too worried about it. You never know when this will be over."

Susan hung up Lancelot's leash. "Have a seat. You want me to refresh your drink?"

"That would be nice. Just pour whatever you have."

"Iced tea alright?"

"Perfect."

She took his glass to the kitchen and poured his glass and hers from the pitcher in the refrigerator. Then she returned to the living room.

"Unsweetened okay?"

"Fine. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?"

"I work for an online medial supply company. I deal with our suppliers and place orders with them. What do you do?"

"Well, I started out from college in the Air Force working on telecommunications equipment. But I didn't stay in because I got this really great job offer to continue what I was doing but for a really nice salary. Unfortunately, it was a start up and didn't last. Then I got another similar offer for a installing equipment for an established telecom supplier. I've been with them ever since. Unfortunately I do travel and I am away from home a lot. But at least I don't get lonely."

"Are you saying it's tough since you've been home?"

"Yeah, I guess I am."

Susan motioned to Lancelot that he could sit with her on the couch. He jumped up and sat next to her.

"Well, I feel the same way. I am used to being around people all day and I have my friends and neighbors. But since last week I feel so isolated, I am finding it hard to cope. My work keeps me busy during the day, but especially at night, I get lonely. I hope this doesn't go on for a long time or everyone will go stir crazy, me included. At least I have Lancelot."

"He's a nice dog. What breed is he?"

"He's an American Eskimo, which doesn't really mean what it says since he is not American or from the Eskimos. They are Nordic dogs but are not built for deep snow or extreme cold. They were used in circuses for a long time because they are easily trained. They make great family pets and are very affectionate."

"Well, you can tell he really loves you. He must be at least some company for you."

"Oh, he is. I've had him for a year and a half now and he really is my best friend. Unfortunately, he's not much of a conversationalist. But he is good company and I could not live without him."

"I had a dog when I was young. But with traveling as much as I do a dog is just not in the cards. But you never know, maybe in the future I can adopt one."

"Well, in the meantime feel free to visit Lancelot any time you want. He likes people and I am sure he will like you."

"Thanks, that's kind of you."

"So, what would you like for dinner? My pantry is pretty full right now so speak now or I will choose something for us."

"Go ahead, surprise me. I can eat just about anything."

"Okay, it's your stomach."

She went to the kitchen to make the selections for dinner. She would have to abandon what she was planning since it was just for one. She looked in the fridge and freezer to see what she had, she grabbed a bag of meatballs from the freezer and tossed them in the microwave and then started some water to boil for the spaghetti.

Jack was still in the living room eyeing the dog. He decided to get up and move next to him. Lancelot sat still and waited to see if Jack was going to pet him. When Jack started petting him he relaxed and looked up him as if to say "Okay, you're alright.".

Jack looked down at him and smiled. Lancelot really was a good dog. Jack really was a dog person and Lancelot really was the perfect companion.

"Hey, Lancelot. I hope you and I can be friends. I like Susan and I hope to be her friend. Could you help me with that?"

Lancelot looked at Jack with those deep dark eyes. Then he laid his head on Jack's leg.

"I'll take that as a yes."

He continued to pet the dog while waiting on Susan.

"Do you need a refill in there?"

"No, I'm good. You need help in there?"

"No, I've got it."

Susan stuck her head around the corner.

"Oh, I see you and Lancelot are getting along."

"He really is a wonderful dog."

"Yeah, like I said, couldn't live without him. Dinner will be ready in about five minutes. Why don't you come around this way to the dining room?"

Jack got up and followed her to the dining room with Lancelot trailing behind. The table was already set for two and Susan indicated where he should sit.

"Is tea alright to drink?"

"Fine."

"I hope you like spaghetti and meatballs, otherwise I will throw your portion out."

"I guess I can stand it if you can."

After moving the food to the table she sat dawn to eat with Jack. She let him spoon his own portion before she got hers. The spaghetti sauce was her own making but everything else was either fresh or standard fare. She decided after tasting it that it was not bad, in fact, it was pretty good.

"Do you like it, Jack?"

"It's great. Much better that the restaurant food I usually eat. Your own recipe?"

"Just the sauce. I try to enhance the packaged food I get at the store."

Lancelot had followed them into the kitchen/dining area and was now sitting on the floor beside Susan.

"Looks like Lancelot is expecting a treat." Jack said.

"Don't encourage him. He doesn't get any until after we finish."

Lancelot just looked from Susan to Jack and then back again. But he never begged, just looked on intently.

"You have him trained well. Is he usually this good?"

"Usually. His main meal is in the morning and then I give him small snacks during the day. I try to watch his diet so he doesn't get overweight."

"Looks like you are doing a good job. He looks nice and fit."

"Thanks."

When they were done eating Susan picked up one leftover meatball, cut it into four pieces on her plate, and then placed the plate on the floor. Lancelot went for it like he was starving. Then he looked up at Susan again.

"Sorry, Lancelot. That's all you can have."

Jack helped Susan bus the table. She put all the dishes in the dishwasher and turned it on.

"Shall we retire back to the living room?"

Jack and Lancelot followed Susan back into the living room. Susan sat on the couch and Lancelot jumped up beside her. Jack took his seat in the chair.

Susan and Jack continued their conversation, mostly about inconsequential thing. But it soon turned back to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Any idea how long this shutdown will last?" Jack asked.

"No idea. The news is not really helpful and no one seems brave enough to put forward any real answers."

"That's the way I see it, too. It is really frustrating. I'm bored already and I have only been home four days. I have cleaned the house, done all the shopping I need, and trimmed and watered the yard. I am running out of things to do with myself."

"It's the same for me. At least I keep busy during the day, but the nights are still kind of lonely, even with Lancelot. He's a good dog but not much of a conversationalist."

"Well at least you have some company. I don't even have that."

"Well, if you need company you can always come over here and talk with me. I don't think you have Covid, not yet anyways. I probably need the company just as much as you do."

"Thanks, that's very nice of you for someone you barely know."

"It's nothing, I have pretty good taste for people. You seem alright. Lancelot seems to think so, too, and he is a very good judge of people."

"Dogs are better judges about people than most people are. Well, I have bothered you enough for one day. So I will head back home."

Susan and Lancelot followed Jack back to the door.

Jack turned and said, "Well, good evening. I really enjoyed the dinner and conversation. Thanks, again."

"No problem. Don't be a stranger."

And with that Jack opened the door and then turned. "Until next time."

"Definitely."

Susan watched him cross the street and go into his front door. She closed the door behind her and looked down at Lancelot.

"That was certainly interesting. Maybe we have a new friend."

She and Lancelot spent the rest of the evening reading and watching a little TV. At 10 o'clock Susan started getting ready for bed. She climbed in her bed and turned on the late show. She watched it until she felt sleepy and then shut it off. She tried to sleep but was still restless. After tossing and turning for a while she decided to masturbate to see if that would relax her. She used one hand to reach under her nightshirt to her breasts and the other to reach into her panties. She was just getting into the rhythm when her thoughts turned to Jack and what it might be like to have him in bed with her.