Lockdown

Story Info
Yes, things can get worse even in a pandemic.
835 words
3.78
39.7k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a Literotica 750 Word Project 2021 story and my first submission. Hopefully, it won't be my last. I would like to thank Rick, who has shown me genuine kindness with his assistance even in the face of arduous and uncertain times. Also, Randi for her amazingly fast and sublimely accurate editorial work. Of course, this changed the word count so to get it back to 750 words I've stuffed around with it. Sorry, Randi if I screwed up your work.

*

Striding cautiously down its centre his footfall echoed throughout the depressing alley. A zephyr carried a screwn, paper wrapper across his path, further unnerving his fragile state of mind. Through the hazy, bone-chilling midnight air, the light from the single street lamp struggled to find the ground. This somber place he'd haphazardly ventured into at this witching hour reminded him of a shooting gallery. Located in an older, underdeveloped part of his city, with 19th century stone, multi-story buildings lining either side added to a dark ethereal feel of despondency. He had not seen a sign of life for over an hour. Covid19 had drained his city's soul. This was once an exuberant place, full of hope, vitality, and joy, but now, thanks to the covid-19 virus, there was only darkness and deep despair. Was this an analogy to his own life?

His eyes had adjusted enough to the dullness to make out a sign above a doorway. It proudly proclaimed "The Pancake Kitchen. Open 24 hours a day every day since 1972." The irony of its closure was not wasted on him. Was this why he was here? Did his subconscious lure him here? His parents met at the Pancake Kitchen not long after it opened. They came here at least once a year during his happy childhood. It would have been more often but with three brothers' and two sisters' money was always in short supply. Love, laughter, and respect however were plentiful.

He'd dinned here often in his youth with several girlfriends, including his wife. They didn't continue the family tradition after they were married with a child, even though he wanted to. Sheryl, his wife preferred more upmarket cuisine. The fun and frivolity of the Pancake Kitchen were not for her. Nor was the large family he'd talked to her about before they were married. Jason, now 10 was doomed to be an only child.

He'd respected and obeyed all the new and unwelcome laws even though he agonised despairingly over the dramatic change to their lives. Now here he was breaking curfew and had certainly defied the legally allowable five kilometres from home rule. He'd aimlessly rambled for over four hours ensuring that. He still had no idea where he was going or what he was going to do. Leaving in such a panic for fear of what he might do, he forgot to take his wallet, keys, or phone. He just had to get out of the house. Described once, by friends as being more forgiving than God, he knew now that was not true.

He knew he couldn't take solace with family or friends they would take him in regardless but he wasn't going to put them in jeopardy. Only immediate family were allowed at home, visitors were prohibited. This was his problem and he had to come up with an answer.

Both he and Sheryl were working from home as many couples did during the lockdown. Sheryl used their home computer while he used his company's laptop. Being a Friday night, they decided to treat themselves to Indian Take-a-Way. Shortly after seven Sheryl insisted on collect the order they phoned through earlier. She was only gone a few minutes when all the lights and electronic devices in the house went off. A split second later the power was restored. He immediately went into his home-office to check both his laptop and home computer. He'd heard a power surge could destroy their hard drives. Because Sheryl worked for the legal department of the local Shire Council her access to their home computer was password protected something that never bothered him. The computer Gods were fucking with him. As a result of the power surge, he noticed Sheryl's emails were open.

If the emails from Tim White weren't bad enough, the photos of the two of them together were devastating. This was something he would never be able to erase from his memory. Never would he have suspected Sheryl of being an unfaithful wife. While not naturally violent, at that moment he knew he could take her by the neck and choke her until her last breath. There was no choice he had to leave. He grabbed his coat and walked out of the house without even thinking he was leaving Jason home alone.

Hearing Whoop-Whoop and watching red and blue lights reflecting in the adjacent shop's window. What a relief he thought, a nice jail cell for tonight will be a fine reprieve.