Lola's Lurching Life Ch. 03 - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The time came for Lola to go into Auckland Central to greet the arrival of her parents from the Hawkes Bay Province.

Rudi had insisted on driving Lola to the early-morning ferry to meet her parents at the posh Auckland Hotel where the three of them would stay that night, as her treat to introduce her parents to simply how 'the other half', meaning the wealthy or people on big business accounts live.

Lola had said to her mother on the phone, "For goodness sake mum, make sure that dad packs his best suit otherwise he could be barred from entering the hotel restaurant."

"I'd enjoy dining alone with you darling and your dad would enjoy getting lost in the streets of the big city and stopping to ask ladies of the night directions to the nearest fast-food outlet selling his beloved American style fried chicken."

"Mum!"

"For goodness sake darking, you still can't interpret teasing at your age when it's directed at you," said her mother, who had gained a degree in psychology in her youth but never went on to work in that field. On the eve of capping, she met a farm boy from the Hawkes Bay who starry-eyed her and they soon married and she became a high school teacher in that farming district until late into her pregnancy with Lola.

"It didn't sound like teasing to me, more like revolt," Lola gritted.

"There you go darling, there's the root of the problem with you over teasing. But you'll do nothing about recognition of that particular verbal line of incoming subtle signalling. If it hints of being odd or sounding too good to be true, it's probably teasing."

The adult child said obediently, "Yes mum."

She sighed, recalling that Rudi had said earlier that morning. "Call me tomorrow and I'll meet you and your parents. I don't want them to have to step into that box on wheels of yours to have their arrival in paradise spoiled as they pass through our cute and busy village."

"Thanks Rudi," she said sweetly, kissing him as she would a favourite uncle.

As Lola jogged and wearing her backpack to the ferry that was about to start, she wondered what Rudi would make of her mother. He didn't have a clue about teasing or sarcasm or complicated quips.

Rudi was totally a man of the earth and vines. His description of Oneroa as 'cute'? It was a collection of... well, at least his judgement with growing grapes and processing juice was probably up there with the best of vintners on the island. He certainly didn't become a multi-millionaire by twiddling his thumbs.

As the ferry roared down the gulf towards the Auckland Harbour, piercing the swells with ease, making for a comfortable ride, Lola decided to play it cool with her parents. They hadn't seen one another for a long time and would have grown apart.

She'd only been seated in the foyer of the flagship hotel for barely 10 minutes when she saw her father step from the CBD-Airport bus without offering helping his wife alight and he began looking around like a bull for a heifer.

"Omigod, he's expecting me to be on the street footpath waiting for him," muttering Lola.

Forgetting her play it cool decision, she raced through the hotel's revolving doors, clutching her backpack, and ran up to him screaming, "Dad. Dad" and catching sight of her mother added, "Mum and you too."

The tall and burly bugger grabbed her around the waist and lifted her as he would a crate of beer in the old days of quart bottles and kissed her soundly on the lips.

Lola burst into tears.

Christ, what was wrong with her? Tom probably thought.

She slid down and breaking her father's grip, sniffed and walked over to her mum Veronica, who was wiping away tears, with Lola not knowing how to handle the situation.

"Come to me, silly; I'm your mother."

Veronica held open her arms just in time as Lola rushed at her and they hugged and dabbed each other's cheeks with tiny kisses.

"You are crying, mom," Lola said accusingly.

"It... it's so long that I've held my first-born in my arms," Veronica sobbed. "Are you aware that this is the longest period we have been apart since your time at university."

"I guess so."

"You guess so; Had you forgotten us?"

"No, of course not and we've continued to exchange calls about once of month. Mum, please get your mind on here and now. I've invited you two to visit me now that at last, I feel quite settled down, and that's a big step for me."

Veronica called to her husband, "Tom, we would prefer to not dwell too much on the past."

Omigod, Lola thought. That's where my trickiness comes from, learnt from my mother. How can one not be aware of such characteristics and their origins?

"Come on guys, in we go. I have only just arrived and so take a seat while I book in."

"I'm paying the fortune required," said the wealthy farmer.

"Dad, save your pennies to lavish on mum. This one is on me."

"Real men don't..."

"Sit and shut up dad; this one is on me."

Grinning, Tom said to Veronica, "Our daughter has not lost it. She began treating me at times as if I was one of the farmhands."

The three of them gaped at the luxurious two bedroom suite.

"It's one of wedding suites usually occupied by the bride and her maids prior to the wedding day," said the trim suited blonde with a name-tag as wide as her smile. You have been upgraded at no extra cost because the day manager recognised you miss as Lola of Waiheke Island."

Tom and Veronica stared at their daughter as it she had just been exposed as some sort of witch.

As soon as the greeter left and Veronica had checked to confirm that the two stands of glorious flowers weren't faked but were imported or hot-house cultivated, she eyed Lola and said, "Out with it, what was that all about?"

Lola was tempted to say mistaken ID, but she remembered that look on her mother's face that she and her younger brother used to call, 'You're in deep shit if she decides you are lying.'

Lola decided to come clean, well sort of.

"Oh, that bloody thing simply won't die. You'll remember I assisted a woman who fell over in Queen Street. actually not far from this hotel and I sent her home in rapid delivery."

Her mother's face became set and she said, "There was no mention of a hotel and you said you paid for a short helicopter charter to zip her home, away from her embarrassment that occurred in the heart of the nation's busiest shopping street."

"Um, I mentioned the hotel now to put where it happened into perspective for your benefit. Would you like a beer, dad?"

"Stay right there you are young lady until you have told me everything."

"That's the guts of the entire thing. The local media that covers Waiheke news heard about a stranger lifting a Waiheke woman to her feet after a fall in Queen Street and to spare the woman further embarrassment, hurried her off and had her flown home by chopper. That was practically all but then the newspaper reported I had come to settle on the island and published my name together with a blurry photo image of me lifting up the woman who happens to be high on the social pecking list on the island."

"And then ridiculous rumours about me began to fly and reports were published about residents claiming they had seen me flitting about much like a fairy story princess and so on. End of story."

"No you don't, please continue."

"Up yours mum," Lola said sweetly and after opening the fridge named the six brands of been available.

Veronica saw that Tom was grinning at her, goading her about her attempted inquisition, and she wisely decided to loosen the screws for the time being.

"I'll have one of all six beers, thanks love," Tom said cheerfully.

"He'll have just two and then we'll all go shopping."

"Dad?"

"I'll just have two, your choice, and then will trail you two shopping, no doubt repeating my nightmarish shopping experiences of old with you two."

That was greeted by two unsympathetic stares, and his wife said stonily, "Well someone has to carry our shopping bags and pay for our lunch."

"Just like in the old days, chanted the two women.

Tom had the look of a guy caught in a gigantic spider's web.

As the ferry departed for Waiheke Island from the ferry terminal at the base of the Auckland CBD next morning, Veronica sighed and said that was the most luxurious hotel she'd ever stayed in.

"It was okay," Tom said. "A bit high-falutin for me; I felt uncomfortable."

The women sighed.

Veronica asked, "What's this patron of yours like?"

Tom asked what was a patron, but was ignored.

He's reputable very wealthy, his parents were Italian and..."

"Nevada isn't an Italian name."

"No, dad. Apparently, his Italian family name was difficult for English-speaking people to pronounce and even more difficult to spell. Rudi's late father, before immigrating here from Italy, had the family's surname changed to Nevada. He'd recalled watching a promotional tourism video of the State of Nevada had thought that phonetically, Nevada sounded like the beginning of their much longer Italian family name."

"Rudi ended up owning the original winery and some additions after buying out members of the extended family with ownership rights and then made heaps when he privatised the entire outfit around thirty years ago when the public rushed to buy shares in vineyards and wineries when New Zealand wines were becoming internationally recognised as having come of age and it's producers were winning international wine awards by the truckload."

Veronica said, "I had asked what's this man like."

"In a nutshell, informed, exacting, ruthless, superb at negotiating and very approachable if he likes you."

"And he likes you?"

"Very much, I appear to be his pet because he describes his son and daughter as 'virtually useless'."

"Meaning?"

"I don't know mum. I didn't ask for clarification because it's none of my business."

"Do you and he... you know?"

"Shut your mouth, Tom."

"It's okay. He's never touched me and why would I let him? He's about you age, dad, although he does have a mistress although he's married. The mistress is my best friend on the island and next comes the woman I save from embarrassment after her fall over in the city. I am very close to them and I was living for that woman and her family for a while and that's when I gained real interest in grape-growing on their small vineyard on their sheep farm. I've told you guys about Dougal and Helena."

"Yes, and I suppose she's the woman you sent home by helicopter?"

"Yes, mum but I didn't talk about that connection and the fuss being made about me is mostly bullshit, made up by residents with nothing much better to do."

"As you say, Lola, but don't be surprised if I find residents greeting you like a standout person."

"Dad, stop mum talking crap."

"Baby, can you remember me every stopping your mother in any way once she has a bee in her bonnet, so to speak."

"Mum, if you attempt to glorify me in front of people who know me, I'll kick your butt,"

"How dare you Lola you little..."

"That's enough, Veronica," Tom said sternly. "Our daughter is an independent adult and you are working her up to place a killer wasp in your bonnet."

Silence following for a full thirty seconds. Lola, sitting beside her mother, pulled her to her with a surprisingly strong grip and kissed her and soothed, "Isn't this just like we used to battle in the old days at times?"

"Aye," said Veronica, stroking her daughter's cheek fondly. "It's amazing how the years appear to have rolled back to expose us as two strong-willed bitches."

"Yeah, already it seems as if I never left you guys to find my place in the world."

"Seems to me that you feel you are getting close, which is why you've invited us to visit you at this particular time."

"Could be dad, but I've never thought of it that way. My dynamic friend Caroline said to me the other day why don't I speak of my parents, and that got my thinking why don't I see them more often, and here we are."

Veronica snuggled in against her daughter's shoulder and said, "These gulf views we are seeing are truly breathtaking. That much larger island ahead of us, is that Waiheke your home?"

"Yes mum, at least for the time being."

As the ferry drew alongside the wharf, Lola said, "Dad and I will follow behind you mum. You skip ahead to avoid the crush and wait for us in the clear."

"What are you planning?" Tom asked suspiciously.

"It's a test, dad. I've often read about how Italian males can seize the moment when it comes to charming a woman. Apparently, women of other nationalities generally believe it could be true while men of different nationalities scoff and disbelieve it and say those Italian men all think they are even better than gigolos when it comes to charming women."

"And what do you think dear one; that like me you think it's all hogwash?"

"The times I've read of versions of claims that Italian men are the world's best charmers which indicates it must be true, at least to some extent."

"Okay, so what do you expect us to see? Rudi will see her, snort steam from his nostril and rush up and throw her down and have his way with your mother""

"Dad, stop being so bloody disgusting. You know that I know that you are attempting to wind me up."

They walked in the wide channel for arrivals but were caught in a slow-moving crush.

Then it happened.

"That's Rudi, one of the few men we can see in suits, and none in a deep black suit and perfectly knotted tie."

"Hell, he's picked her out. He must have seen a photograph of Veronica."

"No dad, he's never been to my cottage and even so I've only recently unpacked family photographs and spread then about. He thinks mom is my mother. There he's spoken to her and now he's..."

"He's fucking well kissing her hand and she has a hand on her chest just below her chin as if her heart is in danger of leaping through her chest."

"The fucking foreigner, I'll grab the Eyetie's hand and stick it down his throat."

"Dad, you'll do no such thing. He's attempting to be charming to mum. Live with it and stop using a racial slur like that and accept that mum appears to be enjoying this. Ask yourself, when did you last kiss her on the hand?

They watched Rudi seat Veronica in the back of the car, rush around to open boot of the car and pull out a bouquet of flowers that he presented to Veronica.

"Or for that matter, when did you last buy flowers for mum apart from on her birthday or perhaps at Christmas."

Tom dropped his head and rubbed the top of his nose with a knuckle.

He looked up and said. "Why and I supposed to accept the foreigner behaving like this to my wife?'

"Because, one, he was born in New Zealand around the same time as you, and that makes him a Kiwi, and two, because his mother taught him that behaving gallantly was the proper way to treat females."

"Okay, then answer this, smart ass, why is he permitted to park his car in the middle of the taxi rank and yet anyone else would be told to move on?"

"Because everyone who matters including the parking wardens knows who Rudi Nevada is."

"Christ, how is it that you know such much?"

"Because I didn't stop learning when I became an adult. Hurry along now; Rudi is waiting to drive madam off with her two slow-arriving hangers-on."

Rudi kissed Lola and then when hugging Tom in welcome and appeared about to kiss him, Tom broke the grip and shot backwards with clenched first.

"Run around the car to enter in the side rear door Mr Hunt while I open the front passenger door for your lovely daughter who has brough her splendid parents do my island."

"Do you own the island?" Tom asked sarcastically."

"I control a sizeable portion of it, Mr Hunt."

The visitor sighed and said, "Call me Tom."

"Certainly, Tom. You appear to be such a genteel man."

Tom sighed deeply.

Lola had arranged for her parents to stay in the larger of the Hills' two family guest houses. But as they arrived in the vicinity, Rudi stopped at the cross roads and said, "We would normally turn right to procced to my huge investment that Lola calls my outfit. Instead we'll take the left fork and you'll soon see why.

He stopped shortly after that and pointed to the left and said, almost reverently, "Down that driveway you can see the frontage of Lola's cottage that she now owns and had had extensively renovated, according to what she's told me. Ignore the boat on the slipway that is owned by my brother," Rudi said in edited form, diplomatically, to avoid mentioning who previously owned the cottage and boat.

The car moved along a few more metres beyond the unruly windbreak and he pointed to the hundreds of newly planted and leafing grapevines and said proudly, "And there's Lola's vineyard, her pride and joy."

"Omigod," Veronica cried. "It looks as good as any vineyard in the Hawkes Bay which is one of top wine growing centres in New Zealand."

"Of course," Rudi said. "Waiheke is also in the top echelon, specialising in boutique crafted wines."

"By heck girl, we are so proud of you," Tom said, huskily.

Rudi said, "And it doesn't end there. My company's vineyards sweep around in a curve, back towards we are now, approximately."

"To our right, is our company's latest addition of 16 ha of land purchased for a new vineyard and the first stage of development is due for completion late this week. That contracted work includes perimeter fencing, land smoothing, establishment of the posts and wire trellising and then the final planting."

"Lola is completely in charge of the 16 ha vineyard development and all contractors' work is her responsibility from the time of preparing the contracts until the full 16 ha of the former farmland is redeveloped progressively in 4 ha lots."

Tom said, "Christ" while Veronica said, "Our daughter is very flexible and no challenge appears too big for her."

Rudi nodded and said, "We will now go up on a secondary track to the Hills' farmhouse where you will be staying while you are on Waiheke, Tom and Veronica."

"You'll look down on to the registered name, Lola's of Waiheke's Vineyard, from the Hills' lounge or in your accommodation in one of the A-frame guest houses for visiting members of their extended family.

Rudi and Lola left for work, leaving the two females gazing at Lola's vineyard below the hill and the two farmers talking about the weather and farm stock prices. Lola had arranged to collect her parents at 7.00 to visit her cottage before going on to dine with Rudi and his wife in the winery restaurant.

On the way to the Classic Vineyards and Restaurant, Lola asked delicately, "Rudi, it seems like I've known you almost from the time I first stepped on to Waiheke and I'm aware you are married, but I've not met your wife and neither have I spoken to her or even heard her name mentioned."

"That should be no loss to you."

"Rudi!"

"What?"

"I shall be meeting your wife for the first time this evening. Please tell me her name."

"Margherita, that's spelt with an 'h'. Do you also wish to know her shoe size and where she went to school?"

"Not for the moment, thanks Rudi," Lola said.

Rudi made no further comment.

Lola said cautiously, "One might think that you two are estranged."

"I keep her on because she has a great brain and an eye for details and goes over company reports for me to brief me and has a fantastic memory which is usual in businesses and her forte is working in strategic planning. I remain mindful that she is the mother of our children."

"I understand," Lola replied and decided to ask the question: "Does your wife know about Caroline and you?"

"Yes, but don't you ever speak to anyone about my relationship with Caroline, do you understand?"

"Aye, aye, sir."

"Is that sarcasm?"

"No, it's an attempt at humour to lighten you up a bit. I means, all I did was to ask for a name and that appeared to unleash a heavy cloud of gloom."

1...678910...12