Long Cool Woman Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Todd's doing a lot better." said Teresa as she and I sat on the back deck. "He's at home now. I brought the boys over here so that he could get some sleep."

"That's good." I said. "And we won't talk about it yet, but we'll need to talk about the Precincts, and Carswell and Irwin's successors sometime during the week."

"Yes, I know." said Teresa. "I'm ready whenever you are. Which reminds me... I haven't talked to the Chief since you went in and took my punishment for me, or whatever happened in there. It's gonna be... awk-wrrrrd at the coffee klatch."

"I don't know why." I said. "Just act like nothing happened, and drive on. I bet he'll do the same..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm pretty much fully recovered." Molly said as she sat with me on the back deck in the late afternoon. "But I'm out of shape, and I'm having to work back slowly because of my breathing problems."

"Welcome to the 'Wounded Lung Club'." I said humorously, knowing that Cindy, Teresa, and I were also members (I was shot in the ribs by Ned at Ward Harvester, remember?).

"That's what Cindy has been telling me." Molly said with a laugh. "Fortunately things have calmed down a lot, especially since school let out for the summer. The only problem I've had is people from the Federal Government saying they want to raze that side of NCHS to the ground. They say it's an emotional issue for the kids, and that it reminds them they're not in a 'safe space' at school."

"Harrumph." I muttered. "What did you tell them."

"I personally told them to go pound sand." said Molly. "And I told them that there are no true 'safe spaces' anywhere in the world, and our school kids had better learn that and get used to it. They said I was 'insensitive' to the needs of our children, and I said I'd been shot and nearly killed for the needs of our children, and for them to take their pansy politics elsewhere."

By this time I was laughing uncontrollably. Then I suddenly stopped laughing and said "Wait... exactly who was wanting to do that? Tear down the school?"

"It took a while," said Molly, "but I finally learned that it was the U.S. DOJ, and specifically the Deputy Attorney General that was behind it."

"Same guy that was down here ginning up the anti-gun-rights legislation right after the school shooting, eh?" I mused.

"I'll take your word for it." Molly said. "I don't remember seeing all that on the news." I chuckled and kissed her on the cheek, and we got up to go inside...

Part 4- McGinty's Materials

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, June 17th, with County Jail in the distance behind her, but was really a green-screen with a projection of the facility. "Escaped fugitive Trent Ridge continues to elude the Town & County Police and the FBI!"

Bettina began: "Trent Ridge, an extremely dangerous fugitive wanted for the murder of a Navy Officer and the attempted kidnapping of two young girls, escaped from TCPD custody after his Court hearing Wednesday, and remains at large."

"Ridge is an experienced combat veteran with extensive military training, and is considered by the FBI and SBI to be an extreme danger to the Public." said Bettina. "The Town & County Police have not responded to KXTC's repeated requests for comment, and will not confirm if Trent Ridge is still in the area. Sources tell Channel Two News that the TCPD has no idea where Ridge is, and experts tell Channel Two News that Commander Donald Troy has totally failed to protect the County's citizens by not preventing Ridge's escape from Police custody. Let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder for more. Lester!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Holder, from somewhere in the County with a highway in the background behind him. "Citizens For Police Accountability spokesman Jay Swenson issued a statement to KXTC Channel Two News that the CFPA intends to sue the Town & County Council over checkpoints at the County and State Lines, calling them an illegal infringement upon the Constitutional rights of Citizens as well as harassment of them. Many citizens have complained to their elected officials about the stops, and a number of them informed Channel Two News that illegitimate Mayor Daniel Allgood has given their complaints no regard. Additionally, the U.S. DOJ issued a statement that a complaint has been made that these checkpoints are concentrated in predominately black communities. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Thank you, Lester! And in Midtown, Legislators of both parties are enraged at what they call illegal acts of obstruction by Governor Val Jared, who has ordered former staffers Dave Smigelski, Steve Fuqua, and Alan Davidson to refuse subpoenas by the State House Judiciary Committee to testify about Governor Jared illegally colluding with Federal ICE officials to arrest undocumented workers, separating them from their children, and deporting them. Opinion is divided on whether the subpoenas are legal, since the Legislature is not in session and there is no formal Impeachment inquiry at this time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Bettina's trying to create a panic." said Tanya Perlman as we watched in the Chief's Conference Room.

"She does have a point." said Chief Moynahan. "Trent Ridge escaped and is still at large. Any word on his whereabouts?" After a moment of silence, he said "Anyone?"

"We had an intensive manhunt over the weekend for him, Chief." said Teresa Croyle. "Not a sign of him. But we can't keep up the checkpoints at the County Line and State Line forever."

"No, we can't." growled Griswold. "I'm getting calls from local politicians, who are getting calls from their constituents, about the checkpoints. And I'm the one that didn't give Lester Holder the time of day on it. Don't know why he's saying that it's Daniel Allgood."

"Because, Sheriff," I said jovially, "you are loved by the black community. Penis Holder can't gin up race hatred invoking your name, so he calls Daniel Allgood 'illegitimate' and tries to make it sounds like he's targeting blacks with checkpoints."

"I'm surprised he didn't say that you are the one doing that with the checkpoints, Don." said Cindy. "And I'm surprised he didn't say it was your daughter that Trent tried to kidnap, so that he, Holder, could call your other daughter a racial epithet."

Tanya said "I'm just waiting for the day Holder calls Commander Troy a racist for owning a white dog."

"All kidding aside," I said, "so am I."

"Word I'm hearing," said Sheriff Griswold, "is that these black politicians and reporters are being asked to hold off on the attacks on Don... while the County Charter is being re-written."

"I heard that also, Sheriff." I said. "But I'm getting the idea that there's something else going on, and they want to choose their spots. I'm sure Penis Holder will be back to saying things about my daughter soon."

"I apologiiiiiize for steering this conversation in the wrong di-rec-shunnnn." said the Chief. "My point was not so much the Press, but Trent Ridge. What is our response to the Press ginning up stories that he's out there and a danger to the Public?"

"Not to tell Commander Ross how to do her job..." I said, "... but my recommendation is to tell the truth: Navy NCIS has taken over the search for Trent Ridge, and they and we believe he has left the County. And scaling back on the checkpoints would reinforce that we don't believe there is excessive danger to the Public."

"An arrest would be an even greater help in reinforcing the story that he is no longer a danger to the Public." said the Chief. "So you really believe he's no longer in this County?"

"That is what I believe, Chief." I said. In fact, I knew it, since the landfill where parts of his body were being dissolved in acid in was in Coltrane County. But I wasn't going to mention that out loud...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching the Fox Eight broadcast, which featured Captain Damien Thompson making an in-studio appearance to reassure the Public that Trent Ridge was not the danger that Bettina was making him out to be, I got the 'Angels' meeting started.

"All right, what's going on?" I asked.

"Precinct Captain Carswell has offered to stay on duty until August 1st." said Teresa Croyle. "I've pretty much accepted his offer. The question is whether or not to send Hewitt to 1st Precinct now, or send Sergeant DeLong with the intent of promoting him to Precinct Lieutenant."

"No others being considered?" Tanya asked.

"Not from within." Teresa said. "And that's yet another point: if we want to hire from the outside, we'll need to get the process going."

"I'm not keen on doing that." I said. "What about the Independence Day Triathlon?"

"First of all," said Teresa, "I'm not running in it." Tanya and Cindy gasped. I just nodded. Teresa continued "Todd's still recovering, and won't be in any shape to run a race in less than a month, and I just don't care to find another partner at this time. All my race partners keep getting hurt, too." She meant Cindy and now Todd.

"That's tough." I said. "So... security plans are ready?"

"The cycling part of the Triathlon is now going to use County Road 5 instead of Riverside Drive, so we've made the appropriate changes to the standard plan for the Triathlon." said Teresa. "The Wheelchair Race is not going to use any part of the full Triathlon course, so we've come up with a plan for it."

"That Wheelchair Race is growing, Tanya." I said. "You gonna race in it?"

"You betcha, sir." Tanya said with her cherubic grin. "And yes, I'm very happy how much it's growing in just one year."

"So tell me about our Detective Corps." I said. Tanya's face fell.

"No major cases right now, sir." said Tanya. "The only issue I have is Parker and Geiger. It's just... with respect, sir, it's just not going to go well if we keep things the way they are."

I nodded. "Well, I can't do anything about that now." I said. "Maybe after August 1st we can consider some things."

"What about Parker to a Precinct Lieutenant position?" asked Teresa.

"That doesn't solve the Geiger problem." Tanya replied. "Whoever we put him with in MCD isn't going to like it. Rodriguez and McGhillie would be the most professional about it and not outwardly complain, but McGhillie has said privately and off the record that he didn't like working with Geiger in Vice, either. And Julia is on the rise; putting Geiger with her could 'stunt her growth', so to speak."

"Yeah, as in terminally." said Teresa.

"I hear you, guys." I said. "Again, lets see what happens after August 1st. I suspect things will begin calming down by then."

"Uh oh." said Cindy. "Whenever you say that, that's when things start going to Hell in a handbasket." A red crowbar was waved in her general direction...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:00am, there was a knock on my door. Chief Moynahan poked his head in and said "We have three guests in the Main Conference Room. Would you mind joining us in there, pleazzze."

"Certainly, sir." I replied. I followed him the short distance down the hall to the Main Conference Room. Inside were SBI Director James 'Curly' Goodwin, SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell, and SBI-OER Lieutenant Norm Chow.

Chief Moynahan sat down as I shook hands with the guys and gave Britt a warm hug, which she warmly returned, her eyes sparkling as they always did. They sat down with their backs to the door, and I went around and sat to the Chief's left, facing them.

"Soooooo," said the Chief, "to what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Director Goodwin got homesick, sir." said Norm Chow, flat deadpan with no change of expression, but I could tell he was teasing the Director. Goodwin smiled at the joke.

"Yes, it's good to visit home again." said Goodwin. "I never sold my house here, and I come in for the weekends sometimes, or to seminars at the University."

"I miss this place, too." said Britt Maxwell. "How is everyone?"

"We lost a man." I said. Everyone nodded; they had all known Irwin.

"We were sorry to hear about that." said Goodwin. "How is Todd Burke doing?"

"Improving." I said. "He's recovering at home now. So... how can I help you today?" I could see that Norm appreciated me getting right down to business as quickly as possible.

"Commander," Norm Chow said, "I'm sure you remember taking down Bundy McGinty just a few weeks ago." (Author's note: 'One Night In Bangkok'.)

"How could I forget?" I replied with a wan smile.

Britt flashed her lovely smile, then said "Don, did you ever hear anything about McGinty having blackmail material on people?"

"Ahh, so that's why you're here." I said. "And my answer is that I did hear rumors about it, but so far nothing has been found despite searches by many private investigators and the Federal Government."

"And that's where you come in, Commander." said 'Curly' Goodwin.

"Curly." I admonished. "You're the Director of the SBI now. You're my boss when I log into the SBI as Reserve Inspector. I appreciate the respect, but you can call me Don. Or Inspector, or whatever you like, just keep it clean."

"Old habits die hard... Don." said Goodwin. "So here's the deal. Not long after McGinty died, I was asked by several people if we were looking for McGinty's blackmail stuff."

"I'm giving that stuff a name now." I said. "McGinty's Materials."

"Works for me." said Goodwin. "McGinty's Materials were never found, and calls to me are increasing in volume and intensity for us to open a search for them."

"Who is making these hopefully polite requests?" I asked.

"The FBI has asked us to assist them in the search." said Goodwin. "U.S. Senator Samuel Russell sent an aide to talk to me about it. But it's mostly State Legislators, on both sides of the aisle. Wilson Hammonds and Richard Langdon have been annoyances, constantly buzzing in my ear about it, but it seems to be a rite of passage that everyone call and ask about it at least once."

Britt said "The list of who has not called is much shorter than the list who has. Even aides for Governor Jared and Lt. Governor Marshall have contacted us about it."

"So how long has this been going on?" I asked.

"Since you busted McGinty." said Goodwin.

"But it really ramped up just last week." said Britt. "About the time that clown Trent Ridge escaped while being escorted from the Courthouse." I nodded.

"So you want me to join the search for McGinty's Materials?" I asked. "I mean, I've already done a search right after we took McGinty down. He left no clues at all to where the stuff might be. I was even beginning to believe that it was all a legend, a hoax created by McGinty to keep himself alive."

"And if that's the case, sir," said Norm Chow, "we'd like to verify it to the extent we can."

"Don," said Chief Moynahan, "there are a lot of people out there that are very afraid of what McGinty's Materialzzzz might con-tainnnn. I've had a couple of conversations with 'Coldiron' Masters, who is in City I.A. now. The City's politicians are going to ask him to lead a task force with the specific mission of finding the stuff, because they're so scared of what McGinty might have had on them."

"I get it, sir." I said. "But if the Materials don't exist, we can't prove a negative. How will we ever convince anyone the stuff is not there?"

"If we put it out there that you are looking for the Materials," said Director Goodwin, "and you don't find them by the time football season starts, and you announce that... I think that'll be enough for most of them. Some, probably those whose names are mentioned most in the dirt, will never rest until they have some proof, but that's their problem."

"Ah." I said. "Dog and Pony show. I look, find nothing, we go home and have a beer."

"Or you do find something," said Goodwin, "and we can use it to bust some dirty people, close some cases, whatever, then destroy the rest of it."

"And then go home and have a beer." said Norm Chow, again flat deadpan. Where did this vein of humor in him come from? I wondered to myself.

"So." I said. "Do you think these politicians want you to find the Materials to protect themselves, or to use on others?"

"For some, like Wilson Hammonds," said Goodwin, "it's to keep his dirty secrets from coming out. But some of the younger ones, like Tasheeka Harris from Inner Midtown... I think she's hoping there's dirt on Governor Jared that she and her fellow Democrats can use against him. They are truly out for his blood. I've never seen such hatred."

"And part of the problem is just how much that dirt is worth." said Britt. "Don, I'm sure you're as aware as anyone that some people will pay a lot of money to get that Material. And some people may be willing to kill to get the Material. If it's out there, we need to get it first, and stop all that."

"I don't disagree." I said. "But I've already taken my shot at it, and to be candid, I've got a lot of other things going on right now."

"I a-greeeeee, Commander." said the Chief. "But after you delegate most of it, and are just sitting there twiddling your thumbs, perhaps you can glance into this at your leeee-surrrrrrre."

I shrugged my shoulders in resignation. "Okay." I said. "I'll see what I can do to help you guys. But maybe y'all work on it, and call me to help when you truly need it?"

"We'll take whatever help you can give us." said Britt.

Part 5 - Contacts

Her raven-black hair was pulled back into a tight bun and she was wearing relatively severe 'nerd' glasses. She was wearing a dark gray jacket and skirt, and black pullover blouse, sheer black stockings and black high heel pumps. Very warm for this time of year, even though the material was fairly thin. She also knew she would not be outside much, and that air conditioned offices could get really cold.

"Ah yes, Dr. Washington," the pretty receptionist said at the welcome desk of the atrium of the office building, "you're expected. Someone will be here to escort you to Dr. Wages in just a moment."

"Thank you." Laura said. She and her assistant Donna sat down. Donna was looking around nervously as Laura pretended to examine a report in her notebook.

"Just relax, Donna." Laura said out of the side of her barely moving mouth. This girl needed a lot more training, Laura thought to herself. But too late to do anything about it... or her... now.

A moment later, another lovely young woman came up to them. "Dr. Lauren Washington?" she asked politely.

"That's me." Laura said, looking up at her.

"Please come this way." the girl said. She led them past the hallway with six elevator doors, seeming overkill for a building with only six floors, and around to an elevator tucked into an alcove, barely visible. The girl used a card, which opened the elevator door. They got on, and the girl swiped the card again, which got the elevator moving to the sixth floor.

A short walk down the hallway into a suite of offices, again needing card access, led to the office of Dr. Mark Wages.

"Dr. Wages is expecting you, ma'am." said the assistant. "I'm sorry, but he was not expecting your assistant."

"That's all right." Laura said smoothly. "Donna, just wait out here for a moment."

"Yes ma'am." said Donna. She sat down on the far side of the waiting room sofa, as if trying to crawl into a shell. Meanwhile, Laura was ushered into Dr. Wages's office.

"Ah, Dr. Washington." said Wages as he got up and came around the desk. "I've been expecting you. It's very nice to meet you. I hope your flight was okay." He shook her hand with just a bit of a flirtatious pull. Dr. Wages was younger than Laura had expected, maybe in his early forties at the most, and he was not bad looking. But he was shorter than her by a good bit.