Long Cool Woman Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My question remains." said Cindy, as I looked at the rear-view mirror then both door mirrors. "Does he not want Jared removed?"

"Probably not." I said. "Remember that the People of the State don't hate Jared the way the Media does and the way the Media portrays things. Also remember that Governor Jared was legally and fairly elected by the process for electing Governors in this State. And Jared has done nothing illegal nor unethical, despite the lies of the Left and the Press."

"But there, you repeat yourself." quipped Cindy, as I turned right instead of left on MLK Drive, and headed to County Road 5. "The Left, and the Media."

"True." I said agreeably. "So if Jared's legal election is subverted and undone by fiat of a process that was meant to be used to remove truly bad wrongdoers, not only will an enormous number of people become very angry, it will cause people to lose faith in the processes of our Government 'of the people, by the people, for the people', as some President once said."

"You're waxing poetic again." Cindy said as I turned north on County Road 5, going past the busy Farmers Market Restaurant.

"And I wish more people with cameras on them would do the same." I replied. "Benjamin Franklin was asked what the Founding Fathers had given us, and he replied 'A Republic... if you can keep it'. The danger we face now is that our Constitutional Republic could literally be torn asunder by the abuse of the Impeachment process against an Executive they simply don't like because he's not part of their Establishment."

"Do you really think it could come to that?" Cindy asked.

"Remember how the State Capitol was attacked and damaged by the anti-gun-rights people, after being whipped into a frenzy by the deeply corrupt Media?" I asked. "Remember the Antifa thugs that massed to attack and kill us on the Square, before the Guardians of Justice Motorcycle Club intervened?" (Author's note: 'Schools and the Second', Ch. 04.; 'The Four Boxes of Liberty', Ch. 05-06.) "I think that if Jared is removed from office, you could see that happen again... and on a lot larger scale. A *LOT* larger..."

"Cerone was also exceptionally honest about why he wants the McGinty Materials found." Cindy said.

"To nitpick with you on semantics," I said, "when people say 'to be honest', what they really mean is 'to be candid'. Cerone was being exceptionally candid, for sure. And I'm not sure if he was doing that because he knows he's not going to fool us so he just spelled it out, or if he was being a bit disingenuous with us. Either way, I get what he was saying."

"Yeah, so did I." Cindy said with alacrity and asperity. "He openly offered you a bribe in front of me. That is some kind of 'candid'... and 'desperation', perhaps?"

"Perhaps..." I replied. I peered again at the rear view mirror, then looked at the door mirrors on both sides, and this time Cindy noticed... or got the vibe.

"What is it?" she asked, also looking at the mirror.

"Couple of cars behind us." I said. "Black SUV... silver Toyota. They've been tag-team following us since we left Luigi's. They're actually not bad at it; I only noticed because the Camry has a splash of dirt on the front bumper, and the SUV hasn't been washed in a while. Get your iPhone ready."

I suddenly pulled over and the black SUV drove on by, as it should have done. Cindy quickly snapped a photo. Then I turned on my blue lightbar, and did a U-turn on the road, now going south. A moment later we saw the silver Toyota, a Camry, going north. I snapped a photo of my driver-side mirror.

"I'll text Myron to get camera footage of those guys." said Cindy. "And we can get the license plates from these iPhone photos and run 'em..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

They were sitting at a table at The Chop House, one of Moe Molinari's steak restaurants and a duplicate of the one in the Town & County. The 'younger' group was sitting at another table not far away.

Donna had left her computer in her bag in the car, and Laura had chided her, and ordered her to go get her bag and the computer.

"It's locked up." Donna whined.

"That doesn't matter." Laura said as the others listened in. "You know you can't leave it out of your sight like that." She made Donna get the driver to unlock the car so she could get her bag. Donna was pouting, and the others were uncomfortable.

Once they sat down, Laura said "I'm sorry about that. She knows the rules."

"We understand." said David. "Security is a big part of what we do, as well."

"Yes, it is." said Margaret Mason. "And speaking of something that needs to be kept secure, but I can tell you: I just got word that Kara Zorn is coming here tomorrow! Here! to our office!" She was obviously very excited about the MegaTech Industries Chief Operating Officer coming in.

"I thought she was going to visit the City office." said Dr. Wages.

"That's what they're telling the Press." said Margaret. "But she's going to come here first, tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see her, she's so inspiring!"

"Well, Dr. Washington," said David Carlson, "you have the good fortune of being here for that."

"I hardly expect I'd get to personally meet her." Laura said.

"Oh, don't be surprised if she walks right into your temporary office." said Wages. "She definitely likes to meet everyone she can, even if only for a moment."

"Unlike Elliot Sanders, the CEO." David said, derision in his voice.

"Now now, David." admonished Wages.

"No, seriously, Mark." said a scowling Carlson. "Elliot Sanders is an ass. He thinks he's better than everyone else, that he's God's gift to the technology world. He has no respect for anyone, no matter what kind of show he puts on in public."

"He built MegaTech into what it is." said Wages.

"Hardly." said Carlson. "He built it off the backs of people that busted their asses 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, and took all the credit for their work."

"Then why did you come to work here?" asked Wages incisively.

"Because of Kara Zorn." said Margaret Mason, injecting herself into the conversation. "She's the true driving force behind this company, and she's the only reason people are paid fairly, especially women. David is right, Mark. Sanders is just an asshole that the Media has built up to be Steve Jobs or something just as god-like."

"Well, perhaps we should save this conversation for Happy Hour tonight." said Wages. "I'm sure our guest doesn't want to hear our internal views of our company leadership."

"Oh no, it's very interesting to me." Laura said. "It's not part of my job to analyze employee morale, but I do like hearing the 'inside baseball' on the management, as opposed to the smoke and mirrors the Media puts out."

"I get the feeling you share my views on the Media." said David. "We should talk about that, too. Are you busy tonight?"

"I have no plans at all." said Laura. "I'm a stranger in a strange land."

"Well then," said David, "I volunteer to be your tour guide of great restaurants for dinner."

"I accept your generous offer." Laura replied with her most winning smile and a twinkle in her eyes...

Part 7 - Warning Flags

"Sir," said Lainie Everett after knocking on my office door, "the techs got enough on the street cams to show that those vehicles were following you: the Camry turned left on MLK Drive when you turned right, but they made a U-turn a hundred feet down the road and began following you again."

"Okay. What else?" I asked.

"I ran checks on the car tags of those two vehicles you thought were following you." said Lainie. "They're both rentals. The Camry was rented at City Airport to a 'John Smith' from Boston, Massachusetts, and the SUV was rented at the Southport train and bus station to a 'Paul Jones' from San Francisco, California. I ran the drivers licenses, and the addresses are real. But then I did a search just putting in the addresses, and the names that popped up are not the same." She gave me the names.

"That is excellent work, Lainie." I said. "You can run a quick check on those names, but I won't be surprised if they turn out to be good Citizens. See if you can get more on the people that rented the vehicles, like descriptions, but don't be surprised if it ends up being a dead end."

As Lainie left, I called the Duty Desk to put out a message to all Patrol cruisers to be on the lookout for the two vehicles, though expecting it to come to nothing. Then I called the Chief and asked to see him, and along the way I knocked on Cindy's (open) door and had her come with me.

"What is it, Mr. Crowbarrrr?" asked the Chief as he had us sit down in his office when we got there.

I related to him what had occurred, then Lainie's findings, then said "This has been done fairly well, Chief. They are obviously trained in surveillance, and used good technique to follow my vehicle. They also had a decent if superficial backstop in case we got their car tags."

"Good enough to pass muster under ordinary circumstances," said the Chief, "but you are not 'ordinary circumstances', Mr. Crowbarrrr. Good job spotting them. Who do you think they are, and why are they following you arrrounnnnnd? Think it's Trent-Ridge-related?"

"Two thoughts have come to my mind, sir," I said, "though unsubstantiated with any data. First is the Federal Government, one of the 'alphabet agencies' we know and love. And yes, they may be following me for Ridge-related reasons. But I think there may be another reason: Bundy McGinty." I related the many contacts I'd gotten just today on 'McGinty's Materials', then said "I don't need to mention that it can't be a coincidence that all this cropped up just today."

"No. No you do not." said the Chief. "And by the wayyyyyy... be careful about having meetings with State Senator Cerone. I know he's given up Organized Crime for humble public service, but the Press would love to make something out of that."

"I hope they do, sir." I said with a grin. "If they were to slander an esteemed State Senator like that, it would not go well for them."

"Still, be careful." the Chief said, intentionally not sharing my humor. "And I will need a Memorandum For The Record from both of you about that little enticement Mr. Cerone offered youuuuu. No, it's not actionable, but if anyone ever does ask about it, those MFRs will cover your asses better than the leading brand of toilet paperrrr. They will show that you reported the incident up the chain of command." Cindy and I both nodded.

Then the Chief said "I have another thought about who might've been following you today: MegaTech Industries."

My eyes widened as I realized not only had the Chief gotten one over on me, but that if it was MegaTech, then that meant they were at least suspicious about the person auditing them...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:25pm, Monday, June 17th. FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone came into my office and sat down. "Mind if I come into your office and sit down?" he asked.

"Not at all." I said with a small grin. "What's up?"

"The Chief called me about that incident of you being followed." Jack said. "Ms. Everett was kind enough to send us the information she'd gathered, at Captain Perlman's personal request, and we appreciate the cooperation. I can tell you that those guys were not with the FBI."

I nodded. "But you can't vouch for any other Federal agency, eh?"

"No." said Jack. "I put in a call to Willingham, but like the Press complains about you, he has not returned my calls asking for comment." I chuckled at the joke, then Jack continued: "Cardigan is going to look into those rentals for me, and the backstops. He doesn't think it's the CIA. It's not their style. But one other idea has come up... Boss McGinty."

I nodded. "Yes, that had crossed my mind. Lots of people talking about that, and just today. Whatta coincidence, dontcha think?"

"Your sarcasm knows no bounds." Jack replied. "And I'm going to add to it: The FBI is looking for McGinty's Materials. Dwight Stevens has contacted the SBI about it. We'd love to get that information before anyone else does. If it helps us bust some perps, that's great. But we're more worried about one or more of the local and State politicians getting hold of that stuff, and using it for blackmail."

"I understand." I said. "So you believe the Materials really exist?"

"Yes." said Muscone. "And my personal fear is that he had something that might compromise the FBI or Federal Agents in some way. If that's the case, we'll be able to deal with it, but I fear more the Press finding that information and using it to embarrass us."

"Tell me straight." I said. "Is there something along those lines? Something you need to tell me?"

"No." said Muscone. "But we know the Consultant had information... and there are those in the FBI that think McGinty's Materials may have been Westboro's light reading on rainy evenings, if you get my drift."

"Okay." I said. "Well... it looks like I'm going to have to get involved in the search for McGinty's Materials, if for no reason than to calm everyone else down about it."

"I'll leave you to it, then." said Muscone as he got up. "By the way, my guys are reporting nothing unusual from Laura's phone, nor that of her assistant. So far her laptop has looked up Mai Ling, a Dr. Lysander Starr, and a Dr. David Carlson. Everything else from her or her assistant has been routine data checks of the Government contracts with MegaTech Industries. Dr. Lysander Starr does not exist in our databases, but Dr. David Carlson is a biomedical engineer with MegaTech Industries. He's also tall, broad-shouldered, and blonde. Sounds like a guy your wife might like."

"No doubt." I said. "Thanks for that. And if anything unusual pops up, please let me know."

"I will." said Jack. "And you didn't hear this from me... but we have extra eyes and ears watching over her."

"Thanks." I said. As Jack turned and left, I did not say out loud that I was anything but reassured by that. Something was not... quite... right...

To be continued.