Long Cool Woman Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Consider me 'not surprised'." I said. "And no grounds to extradite her, or them."

"Not for kidnapping Laura?" Teresa asked.

"How dare you slander the Goddess of MegaTech Industries." I said, seemingly levelly. "She can deny ever seeing Laura faint, or at worst she'll say her minions helped Laura and took her to the hospital. Why, she offered Laura a job, and thought Laura was just overwhelmed by it. Wages will say he's seen nothing. And they weren't physically there during the raid, so good luck pinning them to that."

"And Donna?" Teresa asked.

"You can put out an APB if you like," I said, "but you'll never make an arrest. And if you did, proving treason will be hard. She'll just say she was just following orders."

"What about David?" Laura asked. "Dr. David Carlson."

Lindy said 'Brace yourself. We looked up David Carlson. No record of him ever being with a pro football or baseball team. He did receive a Ph.D. in Biomechanics from Northwestern, but the year he graduated is fifteen years earlier than you gave us. And here's a photo of him." She turned her laptop to show everyone that David Carlson was a man in his forties, dark haired, and no resemblance to the man Laura had met.

"Oh my God..." Laura gasped. "That's not him... that's not the man I... but he talked biomechanics like an expert..."

"So did you." I said. "He prepared the same way you did, was backstopped just like you were. Lindy, y'all got a photo of Laura's friend?"

Lindy pulled up a surveillance photo that Melina had taken as she said "We've been running facial rec on him since Monday night, and nothing has come up. No DMV photo, no military or civilian IDs, nothing with MegaTech. Nothing at all."

I looked at the photo. "Young, handsome, light haired, broad shouldered. Your kind of guy." I said. Laura gave me a brief raising of her eyebrows, then I said "Hmmm... I wonder... Laura, did he have military bearing?"

"Yes, he did." Laura said. " I asked him if he'd considered the military, and he said he hadn't, so I thought it was just from having been a football player... and the go-getter leader type. Why?"

"When I saw this photo," I said, "I immediately thought 'Trent Ridge'. Same kind of guy, superficially. This may be a wild ass guess, but... Lindy, would you pull up a photo of Trent Ridge and Quint Starr's Navy SEAL unit, and any other units they may have been in?"

"I'll try." said Lindy. We heard tapping on her laptop, then she gasped.

"What is it?" Jack asked, looking over her shoulder. Then he gasped as he saw it, his face showing utter shock. Lindy turned the laptop so that we could see it. and a chill ran up and down my damaged spine.

The screen was red, with the words "Access Denied: Classified Information. Top Secret:..."

"BEEKEEPER."

Part 16 - Pure Hatred

"This is Amber Harris, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the athletic blonde reporterette from the KXTC studios at 7:00am, Wednesday, June 19th. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the violence at last night's Council meeting and the arrest of black Council member Reginald B.F. Lewis!"

Amber: "Mayor Daniel Allgood attempted to silence the voice of Councilman Lewis by ejecting him from the Executive Session of the Council last night. Eyewitness reports are sharply divided on exactly what occurred, but TCPD Officers did forcibly remove Councilman Lewis from the private Council chamber. Mr. Lewis was booked at TCPD Headquarters on charges of disturbing the peace, resisting arrest and assaulting Police Officers."

Amber: "The Council meeting was adjourned when TCPD Detectives arrived to take statements and fully investigate the incident, and it appears that Commander Donald Troy had his troops fully exercising the Power of Police against Persons of Color who raise their voices in telling the truth and defying abuse. Let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder for more. Lester!"

Lester Holder came onto the screen from the other side of Riverside Drive, so that the back of City Hall was in the background. "That's right, Amber! Last night's arrest of Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis, who is black, was made TCPD Captain Damien Thompson and Sergeant DeLong. Both cops are black, and for them to obey Mayor Daniel Allgood's illegal order to remove Councilman Lewis using the violent tactics associated with their boss, Commander Donald Troy, shows that they are Uncle Toms who are traitors to their race!"

Amber broke in, saying "Lester, why didn't Commander Troy make the arrest himself? Why send black Officers to do his job for him?"

Holder looked like he was about to explode as he practically shouted "Because Donald Troy is a coward, Amber! And he's a racist that does the bidding of illegitimate, racist Mayor Daniel Allgood! He's also a philander that cheats on his wife and sires halfbreed children out of wedlock!"

Amber said "Lester, Channel Two News has learned that Prosecutor Paulina Patterson is going to press full charges against Councilman Lewis! She's black, also, so is race really a factor here?"

Holder looked even angrier as he shouted "Bettina, Paulina Patterson is also a tool of The Man. Even worse, she betrayed her race and disgraced herself by having a child with a white man, Donald Troy! Their child is just a bastard halfbreed, and all People of Color should get in that halfbreed girl's face and tell her that she's worthless!"

"Thank you, Lester!" Amber said happily. To the camera, she said "Trusted reporter Lester Holder will continue to keep you informed with his accurate and insightful reporting on this very controversial incident..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Maybe it was because I was sleepy after a sleepless night followed by a big breakfast, but I said nothing as the Command Group watched that excrement disguised as 'journalism' in the Chief's Conference Room. But the others in the room that had gotten sleep were just as speechless. Finally, it was Cindy Ross that spoke.

"I'll have a statement out defending Captain Thompson within half an hour." Cindy said.

"Let me copy it," said an exhausted Teresa Croyle, "and I'll put the same thing out about Sergeant DeLong."

"Do that, but I'm going to do you all one better." said Chief Moynahan. "I'm going to have a Press Conference. Care to join me, Sheriff?"

"You better believe it." growled Griswold.

"Y'all might ask D.A. Walters to join it," I said, "so that she can defend Paulina."

"Good ideeeeea." drawled the Chief.

"Why?" Tanya Perlman asked. After a moment of silence, she said "Why are they doing it? What is their purpose and intent in doing that? Goading Commander Troy?"

"Ginning up racial tensions." Cindy said.

"Trying to hurt Daniel Allgood and maybe Paulina Patterson in the next Election?" asked Teresa.

"You're all correct, but it's more." I said. "They're trying to undermine any faith the Black Community has in our Institutions of Government. They tried to defraud Daniel of his rightful mayoral win, then accuse him of being illegitimate when they failed. They've done everything they can to paint me as a racist, so they can paint the Police Force as racist. And now they're going after Paulina in order to cast doubt on the District Attorney's Office... those who prosecute cases like the one about to happen to Reginald B.F. Lewis."

Cindy said "And that massively backfired when Captain Thompson came in to arrest Lewis. The Press was there, and counting on you to be there to make the arrest, Don. I'm glad Damien volunteered to make that arrest himself. It took the wind totally out of their sails."

"Did he volunteer?" asked Chief Moynahan, looking at me.

"I did not order, ask, hint, nor suggest that he do it, Chief. "Nor did I say anything to Sergeant DeLong at all, until after he'd asked to do it.

"And it didn't matter." said Tanya. "KXTC just went full-bore racist on us, anyway.."

"I did note that Bettina Wurtzburrrrrg did not participate in that embarrassing report." said the Chief. "Do we give her credit for that?"

"With respect, sir: not only 'no', but 'HELL no!'." I replied. "She's the Managing Editor; that report did not get to the airwaves without her knowledge and consent."

"What scares me a little bit," said Teresa, "is how Penis Holder said to tell Tasha she's a worthless whatever. It almost sounded like he was encouraging violence against her."

"Yeah... it did." I said, my voice barely above a whisper as I went into a reverie...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Your Honor," said ADA Franklin Washington at 9:00am, in the Courtroom of the Honorable Judge Rodney K. Watts, "this is the second time the Defendant has behaved abusively towards other Council Members and the Mayor, as well as resisting arrest and assaulting Police Officers. The Prosecution intends to bring full felony charges against the Defendant, and we will be asking for a prison sentence. We ask that he be held without bail until his trial."

"Your Honor," said Defense counsel H.J. Lynch, "there is no formal record of previous charges against my client. Furthermore, he was acting well within his capacity as a Town & County Council Member representing Minorities, and we believe and will show that the Mayor acted wrongly to demand his removal, and that the Police are the ones that acted abusively. We again ask that all charges against my client be dismissed with prejudice."

"That's not going to happen." said Judge Watts. "Prosecution, is there any desire to reach a plea deal?"

"No, Your Honor." said Franklin Washington. "The County showed extraordinary generosity in dropping the charges last time, only for the Defendant to commit the same crimes again. We intend to take this case to trial with the objective of a conviction and prison sentence for this Defendant."

The formal charges were read. "How does the Defendant plead?" asked Judge Watts.

Reginald B.F. Lewis stood up and said "Not guilty."

"Prosecution, bail?" asked the Judge.

"Franklin Washington stood up and said "We ask that the Defendant be denied bail, particularly since one of the felony charges is assaulting Police Officers. We consider the Defendant to be a considerable flight risk and a danger to the community."

"Defense?" said Watts.

"Your Honor, that is ridiculous." said H.J. Lynch, as if his own mother had been besmirched. "The Defendant is a long time resident of this County, with very deep family roots and connections to the community. He is a Town & County Council Member, and intends to continue representing Minorities in the County in that position. We ask that the Defendant be released on his own recognizance pending trial."

Judge Watts said "The charge of assaulting Police Officers is a particularly disturbing one, and my sense is that the Defendant refuses to be aware of the seriousness of the charge. However, the Defendant is not a likely flight risk, so I am setting bail at $100,000, and the Defendant will be ankle monitored if and when he makes bail. This Court is in recess." The Judge banged his gavel. So let it be written; so let it be done...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Press Room at Police Headquarters was jam-packed with reporters, and everyone noted that Lester Holder was not among them. Amber Harris was also missing, because for her to be there would violate the terms of her bail. There was a buzz about the room; this was the first full Press Conference by anyone in the Police Department except the Public Relations Officer in a long time.

"And we're about to go live with the Police Press Conference." whispered Priya Ajmani into KFXU's camera. "We do not know if Commander Troy will be present, but Fox Eight News was exclusively told that Chief Moynahan would address the Press------ and here goes!"

At 10:00am sharp the Deputy Chief walked into the room, carrying a green crowbar. She went up to the dias, followed by the aforementioned Public Relations Officer and a 2nd Precinct Sergeant. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Town & County Chief of Police." Cindy said with alacrity.

Chief Sean Moynahan entered the room, which began quietening down. He came to the podium and began speaking. "Thank you for coming. I have called this Press Conference to address the despicable and untrue comments regarding three of my finest Police Officers by KXTC's racist reporter, Lester Holder."

Chief Moynahan: "Captain Thompson and Sergeant DeLong are outstanding Officers and have served the TCPD with distinction for many years. You all know Captain Thompson as the Public Relations Officer, and his many achievements. What you may not know is that Sergeant DeLong is the Officer that followed Lieutenant Ivar Irwin into the warehouse to rescue Todd Burke, and was a witness to the tragedy that happened that night. Sergeant DeLong's courage is one reason Mr. Burke was successfully rescued."

The room was now very quiet as Chief Moynahan continued: "Captain Thompson and Sergeant DeLong volunteered to be on call for last night's Council meeting. I asked them directly if any of my Police Officers had ordered, suggested, or hinted for them to volunteer, and they both stated to me that no Police Officer had spoken to them about it ahead of them volunteering to be there."

Chief Moynahan: "So when trouble began at the Council Meeting, and the Sergeant-At-Arms requested Police backup, Captain Thompson and Sergeant DeLong responded to the call. Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis, who was acting belligerently, physically pushed off the Officers, which constituted two felony crimes: resisting arrest, and assaulting Police Officers."

Chief Moynahan: "Captain Thompson and Sergeant DeLong acted appropriately and correctly the entire time, and without regard to ethnicity or gender. This was backed up by video evidence turned in to Police by a Council Member. So for KXTC reporter Lester Holder to call them racially charge epithets was not only factually incorrect, but was racist of Holder as well as an obvious attempt to incite racial tensions if not physical hostilities in this County."

Chief Moynahan: "Furthermore to this subject, the comments made by Lester Holder about Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson were beyond despicable. Ms. Patterson is a brilliant Prosecutor and an outstanding Public Servant, who has successfully prosecuted and removed many heinous criminals from our streets, helping protect our Citizens."

Chief Moynahan: "Even worse, the comments made by Lester Holder about Ms. Patterson's young daughter, Tasha Troy-Patterson, who is also the daughter of my Police Commander, Donald Troy, were not only hateful and racist, but the TCPD considers his comment that quote 'all People of Color should tell that child that she is a worthless...' followed by a racial epithet, to be an attempt to incite violence upon that child, which is a criminal offense. If you think you can commit crimes and then hide behind the First Amendment, I am here to tell you that you are badly, badly, mis-tayyy-kennnnn."

Chief Moynahan finished up: "Why KXTC continues to employ a committed racist who is obviously filled with hatred for small children and rage against those who protect our Citizens, I don't know... but I do know that it is an outrage. I have instructed my Deputy Chief, my Captain of Public Relations, and all Police Officers to not give interviews to KXTC, to not give comments to KXTC reporters, and to not even speak to KXTC reporters, until Lester Holder is no longer employed by them. While I'm told that I cannot specifically exclude KXTC reporters from the Press Room, I have ordered that there will be no further Press Conferences at all if there are KXTC reporters or cameras in the room.

Chief Moynahan: "Finally... ladies and gentlemen, we are not stoo-pid." said Moynahan. "The Press cameras in the hallway of City Hall where they normally never are was a very obvious clue that they expected an altercation in the Council's Executive Session. And if you in the Press expected the Police to back down from enforcing the law in the name of 'optics' and political correctness, then your suppositions were mal-forrrrrmmmed. That is all; I will be taking no questions."

The room exploded into a shouting near-melée as the Chief made his way out of the room, preceded by the Green Crowbar, tapping her crowbar in her palm, and followed by Captain Thompson and Sergeant DeLong...

And then they realized that the Town & County Sheriff was at the podium.

"About time you noticed me standing here." Griswold growled as they turned to him and gave him their attention. "I have this comment to make: I fully agree with everything Chief Moynahan just said, and my Police Officers have my full support. I am also going to say that the despicable, racist attacks upon my Police Commander's daughter, Tasha Troy-Patterson, should be condemned by every Citizen of this County, regardless of their color or ethnicity."

Griswold: "I am reminded of the song I sang as a child in church, that went 'Jesus loves the little children; all the children of the world; red and yellow, black and white; they are precious in His sight'. Tasha Troy-Patterson is a wonderful, beautiful little girl that is like a granddaughter to me. I will not be forgiving nor forgetting Lester Holder's evil words about her. I'll be taking no questions."

And with that, the Sheriff exited the Press Room, which stood in stunned silence...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As they walked down the hall back towards the Chief's office, Cindy said "Chief, where was D.A. Walters?"

"I called her," said the Chief, "and she said she was putting out the fires regarding the arrest of Councilman Lewis last night, and therefore would be unable to join usssss."

"I hope that's true." said Cindy as they went into the Chief's office.

"What do you meannnn?" asked the Chief.

"I just hope Walters wasn't there," said Cindy, "because she didn't want to publicly defend Paulina. Walters hasn't put out any statement of support for Paulina, and now she was not at our Press Conference defending our people."

"Are you making an... insinuation, Commander Ross?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"As Commander Troy often says, Chief... no data yet." Cindy replied with alacrity. "No data yet..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:00am, Wednesday, June 19th. The meeting convened in the D.A.'s Conference Room at City Hall. Present were ADA Franklin Washington, ADA Savannah Fineman, Defense Counsel H.J. Lynch, and Defense Counsel Robert 'Bob' Berry.

"Why are you doing this?" snarled Lynch. "Councilman Lewis had every right to speak at that Council meeting."

Savannah Fineman said "When he follows the Rules of Order and is recognized to speak, maybe. But he's not entitled to make false accusations, which he did. And he is especially not entitled to assault Police Officers."

"Assaulting Don Troy isn't a crime, it's the right thing to do." snarled Bob Berry.

"Try it, and see how long it takes you to see the wrong side of a jail cell." replied Franklin Washington. "Oh, and by the way, Commander Troy was not the Police Officer assaulted. The first black man to be promoted to Captain in the TCPD was the one assaulted. Bad. Very bad."

"The Police assaulted our client." said H.J. Lynch.

"If you believe that, then let's to go trial." said Franklin. "We have proof of what really happened."

"Look, do you reeeely want to take the County's only black Council Member to trial over this?" asked Lynch. "Are you even considering the optics of this, and the racial strife it's going to gin up?"

"First of all," said Washington, "I'm black. Judge Watts is black, and he's been assigned the case. The arresting Officers were black. Second, the optics don't matter; Justice and the Rule of Law is what matters. And last, if you're counting on us having a fear of 'optics' to save your client or have us go easy on him, forget it. We had the courtesy to give him the benefit of the doubt once. We won't make that mistake again."