Long Cool Woman Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, then." said Berry, closing his portfolio notebook. "It's you who will pay the consequences-------"

The doors opened, and everyone gasped as a tall, broad-shouldered, redheaded man walked into the room, carrying the red tool for which he was nicknamed. Following me was Captain Teresa Croyle. We were both in civilian clothes.

"The consequences..." I said, my voice low and menacing, "will be a lot of people getting felony criminal records, and possibly people getting hurt when the Police crack down on any rioters and make arrests. Perhaps you remember 'Sturgis on the Square' last year?" (Author's note: 'The Four Boxes of Liberty', Ch. 05-06.)

"Yeah," said Lynch, "the most brutal use of Police Power since the Nazis on Kristallnacht."

"Hardly." I replied. "And because of your lackadaisical effort defending them, Lynch, all 632 of those we arrested now have felony criminal records. But we are not going to fool with that again. I am going to tell you now what you are going to do to resolve this..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:00 high noon. KXTC Executive Producer Burt West joined Amber Harris at the KXTC anchor desk and made an editorial statement:

"I am proud of the KXTC Channel Two News staff for their excellent coverage of last night's incident of Police brutality and racism against the Town & County Council's only Member of Color. KXTC fully stands behind our reporter Lester Holder and his accurate and insightful reporting, and we condemn Police Chief Sean Moynahan's vicious statement earlier this morning. We especially support Lester Holder's comments about Commander Donald Troy. Donald Troy is a racist, and his presence on the Town & County Police Force creates a culture of Police brutality and violence towards People of Color. We call upon the Town & County Council to do the right thing that the Police Chief and Sheriff won't do, and terminate Donald Troy with the same prejudice he's shown towards People of Color."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I can't believe they agreed to it." Teresa said as the TCPD Command Group and Our Sheriff sat in the 'Command Room' of the Cop Bar at lunch.

"What did they agree tooooooo?" asked the Chief.

"Reginald B.F. Lewis will plead 'nolo contendere' to the charges." I said. "In exchange, he will receive a sentence of ten years in prison and a $300,000 fine... suspended. If he's arrested again for disturbing the Council meetings, which include packing the audience with Antifa and PCGW people over Police precincts, the sentence will be imposed upon him."

"And how did you get them to agree to that?" asked Cindy.

Teresa said "We were listening in on the 'baby monitor' from the next room. Berry said something about assaulting Don being the 'right thing to do', quote unquote. When we went in, Don stood over Berry like Snoopy being a vulture in the 'Peanuts' comic strips and said 'If you want to assault me, give it your best shot. But you better not mess up, because then I'll have my shot... and it will hurt.'."

Tanya and the Sheriff laughed heartily. Cindy and the Chief, not quite as much. "Alpha-male games." Cindy said.

"And guess who won." Teresa said cattily. "Anyway, I think they started to see the light of day when every one of their bluffs kept being called. They were counting on the ADAs wanting to avoid potential racial violence, but when Don walked in and said he was ready to quell the violence and 'optics' be damned, they realized they couldn't win, and Lewis would go to prison if it went to trial."

"Good." said the Chief. "Maybe things will calm dowwwwwwnnnnn."

"Damn good thing Thompson and DeLong made the arrest." growled the Sheriff. "How did you pull that one off?"

Cindy said "We didn't. They really did volunteer. Thompson and DeLong came to me, and we all went to talk to Don about it. Thompson understands the importance of his promotion, but he doesn't like the political race games and trying to trap Commander Troy like they were doing. And I think DeLong is still a bit haunted by what happened to Irwin right in front of him; DeLong is really thinking in terms of Police Blue over black and white right now."

As we finished our meals, I said "Okay guys, I have a meeting at the Federal Building, where some Federales have some serious explaining to do, and I have the Charter Commission meeting tonight. So this afternoon my office door may be shut and locked for a few hours."

"A very good idea, Mr. Crowbarrrrr." said the Chief. "A very good ideeeeea. An even better one is to get some sleep in your bed at home for a few hours this afternooooon..."

Part 17 - Bee Stings, Scorpion Stings

1:00pm, Wednesday, June 19th. I went into the plexiglass 'cube' in the FBI Suite of the Federal Building off Courthouse Square. Jack Muscone and Martin Nash were already there.

"The rest of them will be here shortly." said Jack. "First, I want to apologize to you for what is going on."

"Accepted," I said, "but I know this is not on you, Jack."

"I'll give you the 'inside baseball' before the others get here." Jack said. "It's total war in Washington. The FBI is accusing the CIA of bad faith on the joint mission. In turn, the CIA has disavowed being part of the joint mission, and at the same time is blaming the FBI for what they consider to be the mission's failure."

"Failure?" I asked, halfway a gasp. "Shimono and The Geek are in custody. Laura's alive and okay. How do they consider that to be 'failure'?"

Martin Nash said "First, let me tell you that Willingham is blaming you personally, Don. He says your interference, which he is calling deliberate, caused the mission to blow up. He is trying to get your security clearance revoked and your FBI Consultant status removed."

Jack said "Don't stress on that. But apparently the CIA wanted to find Shimono's contacts with the Red Chinese and net a bigger haul of fish, as Sheriff Griswold would say."

Martin Nash added: "And they're embarrassed about The Geek being found with Shimono and MegaTech Industries. He was supposed to be in Federal Government custody... though no one will say exactly whose custody... but apparently he was working with both Shimono and MegaTech."

"Yes." I said. "He's been swimming in putrid Swamp waters for some time. So is Laura in trouble? She's not going to be disavowed, is she?"

"No." said a scratchy voice. I looked up to see EAD Owen Lange enter the cube, followed by Laura, Lindy Linares, Julius Jefferson, and Callie Carrington. As they sat down, Lange said "Willingham wanted to pin a lot of the blame on Laura, but she still has clout at Langley and with some U.S. Senators. They snapped Willingham's head back pretty damn hard."

"I'm not being disavowed, Darling." Laura said to me. "But I'm definitely being retired in a more permanent way. I'm still a CIA Senior Consultant, but I will not be 'consulted' nearly as often, and mostly on thing having to do with psychology. And my days of active field missions are officially 'ovah', as you like to say. Carole will be happy, I'm sure."

"Carole's dad is even more happy about that." I said. "I know you're disappointed, though." Laura nodded. She wouldn't admit it, but she liked field missions.

"I guess I better get my company in California ramped up again." said Callie with her beautiful smile.

"We have plenty of work to do." said Laura. "Beginning with digging deep into this 'BEEKEEPER' business."

"Commander, here's what we know about that." said Owen Lange. "BEEKEEPER was supposed to have been shut down, and it was... but it was still sitting there on the operational books. The FBI brass thinks someone put the BEEKEEPER label on Trent Ridge's Navy SEAL unit just in case you looked into it. It was intended to rattle you."

"In that," I said, "someone has succeeded. Completely. So what's the deal with that?"

"The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff personally intervened," said the EAD, "and had the Navy send me everything on that unit that they had, including the atrocities they committed in Iraq. Lindy, show him the photo."

Lindy brought up a photo on her tablet, showing eight Navy SEALs in Iraq. I noticed Trent and Quint immediately. I did not recognize the others.

"Oh my God, there's David." Laura said, pointing out the tall, broad-shouldered, light-haired man at the edge of the picture on the right.

"His real name is David Carter." said Lange. "He was a Lieutenant J.G. when that photo was taken. He wasn't actually on Trent's team, but was one of the Officers they reported to. He was taken out of the way in time, before the atrocities in Iraq began being found out. He was promoted to Lieutenant (which is the same as an Army Captain) and reassigned, and it's beginning to be clear he was part of the Swamp. We didn't know he was with MegaTech in any way until this mission."

"And he was perfect for them for this mission." I said. "The names are close enough... 'David Carlson' and 'David Carter'. He must've had some previous training in biomechanics, so they created that cover for him to interact with Laura, and keep watch over her. And him being the type of guy she likes didn't hurt their ruse, either." Callie chuckled out loud at that; the FBI Agents were a bit more 'respectful'.

"And the insidious thing," I continued, "is that they can say they were just observing you to see if they wanted to offer you a job, which is what Kara Zorn did at the end to complete the alibi. So... are the rest of those SEALs in that photo a threat to us?"

"We're checking up on all of them now, as is Navy CIS." said Lange. "We're trying to see if they are still acting like one unit, and embedded in various Swamp companies; or if they went their separate ways and were absorbed into the Swamp."

"Either way, it's the Swamp." I said. "And Willingham? Don't tell me he was unaware of what was going on."

"Okay, I won't tell you." said Lange, and it was humorous because it was so unexpected from him. He went on: "Seriously, the CIA is circling the wagons around him. He's been one of their marked cards being groomed for higher positions for a while now. They are blaming us in order to protect him, but there's no doubt this has set him back."

"And well it should." Laura said.

"What about Donna?" I asked.

"She's back at Langley, where she came from." Laura said. "Willingham tried to force one of his male people onto me as my assistant, and when I shot that down he had to pull Donna out to go with me. She was originally going to be his information person."

"And she likely would've been giving the FBI disinformation while covering for Willingham." said Lindy. "We didn't know it at the time, as we never saw her, but she has a very adversarial relationship with the FBI."

"So," I said, "the 800-pound-gorilla in the room: was Willingham and the CIA working hand-in-glove with MegaTech?"

"They do work together." said Muscone. "But I'm not sure their left hand knows what their right hand is doing. Elliot Sanders, the CEO, is very friendly with the Red Chinese... maybe to the point of colluding with them to give them some of our best technology. Kara Zorn may have been working with Mai Ling, a.k.a. Shimono, to help Elliot make that happen, or she may not realize what Sanders is doing."

"Oh, she knows." I said. "She couldn't possibly not know."

"I dunno, Don." said Muscone. "Remember Lloyd Feingold at BigAgraFoods had no idea what Mittens Willis was doing, and when he found out, Willis murdered him."

"True." I said. "But Zorn was there with Laura when Laura fell unconscious. I believe Laura when she said she heard Zorn's voice talking to Shimono. While Elliot Sanders is working hand-in-glove with the Red Chinese, Kara Zorn is the force behind MegaTech Industries working with our Government to spy on American Citizens, through the 'Alicia' devices... and eventually through brain implants."

There were gasps in the room, but Laura came to my rescue by saying "He's right. They talked to me about spinal cord implants, maybe hoping I'd mention Tanya Perlman. But I agree with Don that their real lodestone would be those brain implants, potentially controlling people."

"Yep." I said. "The lid... has been torn off... of Hell."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"MOMMY!"

That was my son Jim greeting his mother as he ran up to her when we came into The Cabin. Laura hugged Jim warmly, then greeted my mother Phyllis.

"Where's Carole?" asked Laura.

"Right behind you, Mommy." said Carole, who had snuck up behind her mother, and was standing there with her arms behind her back and a sneakily crafty look on her face.

"Let me give you a big hug, too." Laura said. They hugged each other warmly.

"I'm glad you're home and safe, Mommy." Carole said. "Bowser is happy, too." Laura looked down to see a handsome white dog looking up at her, his tail wagging.

"Hey Bowser." Laura said, petting Bowser. "Hey Buddy." she said as she petted Buddy, who had also come up for his share of the love. Then she said "Guess what, Carole? I am never going to any kind of 'meetings' again. I'm grounded."

"GOOD!" exclaimed Carole. "You get in trouble when you go to 'meetings'. So does Daddy... but there's just no stopping him from getting in trouble."

It is possible that someone laughed until he cried over that. Maybe it was because I was so exhausted. Laura said "Who told you that about Daddy?"

"Aunt Teresa." Carole said. "She said we daughters of Para-TROOO-pers have to keep Daddy out of trouble."

Bus-ted, I thought to myself...

Part 18 - Charter-ing The Course

After a shower, a few hours of sleep, and some good food, I felt very refreshed as I drove to City Hall and parked in the basement garage area. I went up to the room set aside for the Charter Commission meeting.

Edward Steele came in just a moment later. "There you are." he said. "It's been a busy 24 hours, and you've managed not to be seen, on TV or anywhere else."

"Yes, it was a busy 24 hours." I said agreeably, though he did not know why I was saying that. "Did they announce the plea deal?"

"Not yet." said Steele. "The Court hearing is tomorrow morning. The Defense balked at something during the afternoon, about blaming Lewis if people pack the public Council Chamber without his consent. They were saying he couldn't prove a negative, that he wasn't behind it, and Franklin Washington said they didn't have to prove he was behind it to revoke the plea deal. Washington finally agreed that if Lewis himself asked them at the meeting to be respectful or to disperse, he wouldn't be held accountable."

"So they delayed it overnight." I said. "Did Miriam Walters come out with a public statement of support for Paulina Patterson?"

"Uh..." Edward said, thinking about it. "You know, I don't think she ever did."

The other Charter Commissioners came in, and I asked them something, which they agreed upon. Then the doors were opened to the Public. This meeting was about the Board of Commissioners, how they're constituted, and what their continuing role would be. Considering that the Board was the Board for everything from the Water Works to the Public Library system, it was a big deal, and we expected a packed house and long evening.

Packed? Yes. Young people, mostly black, wearing red Antifa shirts, began coming in and taking up a lot of the seats. They created no noise; in fact, they said nothing at all. They just stared at us. Edward Steele looked over at me, but I made sure to keep my face looking untroubled. Maybe because I'd been stared down by the Slender Man before, and these people were not the Slender Man. And maybe because that was a red crowbar next to my briefcase on the floor behind me.

I gaveled the meeting into order and said "Thank you for coming today. I have two announcements before we get started. First, the hearing for the Police Department issues has been moved up to next week. That's next Wednesday, June 26th, for the Police Department hearing. Spread the word, tell all your friends and neighbors."

"And second," I continued, "if you are here to discuss the School Board and its separation from the Board of Commissioners, I am asking you to hold off until we have a hearing specifically for the School Board. As you can probably tell from the form of my sentence, the Commission is already writing in a separate School Board, so we won't discuss that tonight."

Most of the audience not wearing the red shirts burst into applause. The young people wearing the red shirts remained totally silent, just staring at us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:40pm. The meeting was adjourned, and everyone had left the chamber. We were packing up our stuff when Edna Carter said "That went a lot more smoothly than I thought it would."

"Yes, it went well." I said. "Once we took the School Board issue out of it, most of it was small stuff, issues that individuals or small groups care about, but isn't really something for the Charter's structure."

Edward Steele said "I'm surprised there were no Police Officers or Union Reps here to talk about the Boards of Inquiry. Are they thinking that you're going to take care of that, Don?"

"Maybe." I said.

"What was with all those young people, just sitting there and staring at us?" asked Savannah Fineman. "I was wondering if we need to call in some Deputies to be prepared to keep order."

"There are some, in a room down the hall." I said. "And some of my 2nd shift SWAT people with them. They've been there every week."

"Really?" gasped the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Williams. I couldn't help but smile at their surprise.

"Oh yes." I said. "My Captain of Operations fears for my personal safety. I'm grateful for her concern, though I don't anticipate any trouble here like they had in the Council meeting last night."

"And nobody asked Captain Thompson to be there for that?" asked Williams.

"To the extent of my knowledge, no." I said. "I know I didn't suggest it; he and DeLong came to the Deputy Chief and said they wanted to be there. The Chief said something about that at this morning's Press Conference, as well." Williams was clearly skeptical, but seemed to accept what I was saying.

"Okay, next week is the big one, for you." Edward Steele.

"Yes, yes it is." I said. "It's going to be very big. Oh... Ms. Fineman, can I have a word with you for a moment before we go?" Everyone else correctly took that as their cue to leave, and they did.

"What is it?" Savannah asked as we remained seated.

"I'm not trying to tell you nor your boss how to run the D.A.'s office." I said. "But I do know Chief Moynahan invited D.A. Walters to be at his Press Conference this morning, and she was a no-show. And to my knowledge to this point, Ms. Walters has not made a single statement of support for Paulina Patterson, who was the subject of a viciously racist attack against her and her daughter. The Police and I even consider Lester Holder's words to be a physical threat against Tasha."

I continued: "Again, it's her business, but I would suggest that it would be a very good thing for the D.A. to step up and make a public statement about it. Not because Tasha is my daughter, but because Paulina is one of Walters's ADAs, and because it's the right thing to do to stand up to Holder's racism and inciting to violence. And last but not least, it would be very good politically for her with the Black Community; they don't support Holder's racist crap no matter what the liars of KXTC say."

"I'll tell her what you've said." Savannah replied, getting up and gathering her things. She clearly did not like it.

"You parked in the garage?" I asked. "I'll walk you out."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The elevator doors to the garage level opened and we walked out and into the garage, Savannah's high heels clicking on the concrete. As we neared our cars, a group of people suddenly came out of the shadows and from around cars. A red crowbar came out in potential retaliatory response.