Lost at Sea Bk. 02 Ch. 28

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bitterness crept into Mary's eyes. "It's been harder the last decade. His mind isn't what it was. He doesn't listen to me anymore, so his sons don't listen either. Worse, they eventually figured out how far he's slipped, so they barely listen to him anymore either. It's all unraveling."

"I tried to-" Caine started.

"I know!" she snapped. "Yes, you were right! Happy?"

"Of course not," Caine said sympathetically.

"The captains aren't going to accept me," she said grimly as she poured herself another glass of wine.

"Their loss," Caine shrugged. "How many of them are you going to kill?"

She hid her sorrow with her silver cup. "As many as it takes."

"Chance is skimming you know," Caine said.

"I know," Mary nodded.

"Your grandkids are probably going to kill him," Caine said from the doorway.

Mary looked despondent. "Serves him right."

"Right now, he's the only thing keeping your place afloat," Caine pushed.

"You could go back," Mary said wistfully.

"So could you. Take over. Do what you always wanted," Caine suggested gently.

"Maybe I will. After I grieve," Mary said with a sad, wistful smile.

"Take care of yourself," Caine said, and shut the door quietly behind him.

Quiet and alone in the dark, Merry Mary Teachandi, Last of the Grand Coven, put her head in her hands and cried.

_________________________________

Bella and Friday rushed through the tent flap and scrambled to Jack's side. "Learn anything new?" Bella asked.

"No," Quinn said. "I can sense it, but little else."

"My diagnostic skills run more towards the physical," Friday said. "No enchantress, I."

"Me neither," Bella said.

"Start with what we know, we," Friday said, focusing on Jack. "Feel odd, you?"

"You mean other than flopping around like a fish because Quinn slowed my blood?" Jack asked tersely. "Yes. It's been a strange day. I haven't felt right since we got to Shady's Cove."

"You were not enchanted on the cliffside when I left you," Quinn said.

"No, I felt fine then. Great, even," Jack agreed.

"When did you first notice feeling off?" Bella asked.

"When Will and I met with Shae," Jack said.

"Be more specific," Friday nudged.

Jack thought for a bit, and fought back a yawn. "My emotions were all over the place. That's normal with Will, but this was worse. I was... upset with him for..." She shook her head. "He was shameless. We met with Shae, and it felt like a bad dream. He was flirting with her, and they... ignored me. I felt like he was... like he was deliberately trying to upset me. I... was jealous. He had all her attention, and I was just... there."

Bella looked at Jack oddly. "He had all her attention? Not the other way around?"

"It's never bothered me before," Jack said defensively. "That's why it felt odd. Will and I have helped each other flirt a hundred times. This was different. I felt discarded by both of them."

"It wasn't just Will making you feel that way?" Bella pushed. Something was definitely out of character here."

"Yes! He can't stand negotiations, and has all the business savvy of a golden retriever," Jack continued. "She should have been talking to me. I could have gotten at least as good a deal, and he could have come back here where it's safe, and she would have..." Jack blinked. "I'm so confused."

"Well that wasn't too hard," Bella said to Friday.

"I... I want her to like me," Jack said. "I want to prove myself. To her. Why do I care about that? I don't even... I don't like her. When we met, I... I hated her instantly, but now. I want her to like me. It's... I feel like if she likes me... I'll... I don't know."

"Keep going," Bella encouraged her.

"It's so twisted," Jack shook her head. "Will likes her. Maybe if she likes me, she could... help me with Will. That doesn't make any sense!"

"No," Friday agreed. "But it feels like she could give you everything you want?"

"Yes," Jack nodded sluggishly.

"But only if you make her happy?" Friday continued.

"Yes!" Jack said as emphatically as she could.

"Love spell?" Bella suggested.

"With a few nasty additions," Friday agreed.

"Will she be a danger to herself?" Quinn asked.

"I doubt it," Bella said. "Love spells only get dangerous like that if someone under the effects becomes convinced they can't have the person the enchantment is binding them to. She might be dangerous to us though."

"How?" Quinn asked.

"She's probably going to fight us," Bella explained.

"I don't want to fight any of you," Jack said. "I just don't want to feel like this. Maybe if we ask Shae for the antidote she'd..." She trailed off as she saw the expressions all three of them were giving her. "This is terrible," she said, horrified. "It feels... real. Every time I think of her, I have an impulse to act in whatever way I think will make her like me the most. Even now. I want to forgive her for this. I feel like telling her I know and don't mind would make her happy."

"Which would make you happy," Bella added.

"Yes!" Jack said with as much emphasis as she could muster. "It feels like my own happiness is contingent on hers. I don't understand why everything feels tied up with Will thought. He's part of it all too. I can't explain it."

"I think I understand, but it isn't important right now," Bella said. "Let's focus on the enchantment."

Jack looked up at Quinn with tears in her eyes. "You said you could get rid of it?"

"Yes," Quinn said. "You will forget, and it will be gone."

"Forget how much?" Jack asked.

"I do not know. You'll forget the things that have been unnaturally influenced. This day, certainly, and how you have felt about each thing in it. It may remove other things as well, that the enchantment has touched."

"Some important things happened today," Jack protested. "There's things I'd really like to remember."

"May have another way, I," Friday said. Quinn and Jack both looked at her. The dark skinned doctor pursed her lips. "Love spells are not real. They feel real, but, as we've seen, as soon as you start thinking about them too much they stop making sense. Can be broken fairly easily, they, with the right application of the real feelings they simulate."

"True love's kiss," Jack asked dubiously. "That is a real thing?"

"Essentially yes," Friday smiled. "Just have to be reminded of what's real, you."

"What do I need to do?" Jack asked.

"Who do you love?" Friday asked.

Jack's eyes flicked from Bella to Quinn, then away. She swallowed, then shook her head. "It doesn't matter."

Bella gave Jack's limp shoulder a rough shove, then took her hand angrily. "It's never mattered more, you stubborn jackass!"

Jack shook her head again. "I hurt the people I love. I think that's why... this feels easy. I don't care if I hurt Shae. I could love her, and hate her also. Maybe this is better?"

Bella rolled her eyes in exasperation and looked up at Friday. "It's defending itself."

"Sure hope so, I," Friday said with a small, strained laugh.

"I could get inside her organization and help all of you. Make her like you," Jack suggested. The expressions of everyone in the tent slowly sunk in as the watched her in silence. She suddenly looked disgusted. Then angry. "This is nonsense!" Her brows furrowed and she shook her head then stared fiercely at Bella. " I love you. I never stopped, and I am so sorry."

Bella smiled, tears welling in her eyes. All she could do was nod.

Jack's fierce, determined gaze moved to Quinn. "I love you. I know it breaks the rules, and can't last, and endangers us both, and I don't care. It's worth it."

Quinn gave her a rare smile.

Jack's eyes closed. "And I love Will. I think... I think I always have." She started to cry softly. "I hate what I've done to all of you. I hate... myself."

Bella squeezed her hand then looked up at Friday. "Do you think a proxy would work?"

"With an illusion, maybe," Friday answered. The possibilities of her suggestion were very intriguing.

"I can do that. You'll do the rest?" Bella asked.

Friday's eyes glittered with excitement. "Gladly."

"We'll be right back," Bella said. The two witches left in a rush.

Quinn stroked Jack's face. "Do you remember what you first asked me?"

"I asked if I could give you to someone else," Jack said to Quinn. "You said no."

Quinn gave her a rare smile. "That is when I loved you first."

"That doesn't make any sense," Jack shook her head limply. "I treated you like a slave."

"I am a slave," Quinn said. "You treated me like a gift."

"That's just as bad," Jack said. "I didn't realize you'd be... a person."

"You were willing to give me to another to help them," Quinn said. "In all my existence, I have never seen such selflessness."

Jack clenched her eyes closed. Tears ran down her temples. "I used you. I still am."

"Yes" Quinn said lovingly as he stroked away her tears. "I was lost. Angry and bitter. I had forgotten what it felt like to be used how I was meant."

"I wish I could free you," Jack shook her head.

Quinn laughed. "You are very sweet."

"I won't ever really understand you, will I?" Jack asked sadly.

"I am reminded of Mister Sterling, and Miss Fortuna," Quinn said. "If they ever truly understood what you have done for them, their gratitude would be eternal. As mine is. Even if I were unbound, my love for you would bind me."