Love Again

Story Info
The bravest thing you’ll ever do is love again.
29.7k words
4.74
41k
123
19
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DB86
DB86
1,245 Followers

Edited by: Pat

The bravest thing you'll ever do is love again.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 1

That sure smelled like smoke.

Steve McAllister backed out from his crouched position under the sink and laid down the wrench. Hopefully, the patch on the pipe would work. "Laura! Are you cooking something?"

He clomped over to the industrial oven. Cool to the touch. He peeked inside, just in case. Empty.

The inn had ten guest bedrooms, and eight of the rooms had their own fireplaces. It was summer and there was no reason to use them. Steve sniffed the air and turned in a circle. The smell didn't come from upstairs. Out the window over the kitchen sink, Steve spotted one of the inn managers, Laura Wittmore, working in the garden. It wasn't like her to ignore town code and burn something out in the yard.

He yanked open the back door. "Laura. Are you burning something? Leaves, maybe?"

Laura rolled her eyes at Steve, her hands on her hips. Her baby girl was walking not far from her.

"Burning leaves at the end of summer? We have months yet for that. Don't tell me you hit your head in there, Steve."

Steve laughed. "No, I didn't. Something is burning."

Laura frowned.

He went through the back door and his eyes landed on the door that led to the basement. "Of course," Stevethought. These old mansions came complete with ancient and terrible wiring. The whole place could go up in a heap of smoke if he didn't act fast.

Steve hurtled down the stairs. The sight that met him made him freeze for a moment.

A woman he'd never seen before hunched over a metal tub in the middle of the floor. Her copper hair splayed across her face and blocked him from seeing her expression. Pieces of paper fanned out in all directions around her.

He took a step forward. She didn't look up. Steve scooped up one of the papers. It was a handwritten letter. "Dear Diana..."

Her shoulders trembled. She muttered, "Never again."

Diana tossed a stack of folded papers onto the small fire burning in the tub. Flames licked the edge of the bin as the papers started to curl and turn black. Next, she grabbed a mound of white fabric from beside her. If she tossed that wispy bunch of cloth into the small tub, the fire would get out of control. Not to mention smell awful.

Steve crossed to where she was. Almost in a daze, Diana lifted her arms, ready to stuff the white pile of fabric into the fire.

Steve caught her wrists. "Are you crazy? Don't do that." He tugged what was now registered in his head as a dress out of her clutches.

Diana slammed her hands onto her hips. "Give that back."

Steve tossed it out of her reach. She moved to go after the dress, but he grabbed her slender shoulders, and she finally looked at him. He knew enough about women to know only one thing could cause those huge raccoon marks on her face. She'd been crying. Not just crying, sobbing. But even the running mascara couldn't mask her simple beauty. The splash of freckles across her cheeks, delicate nose, and pursed lips as she exhaled... everything about her screamed protect me.

Steve shook that thought away. He'd had the opportunity to protect more than one person he cared about and failed miserably. He didn't deserve another chance.

A thin breath rattled out of her, and she shrank away from him. "I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm doing..." Diana looked like a scared animal begging a hunter not to shoot her. "Can you please hand me my wedding dress?"

"Your...?" His eyes darted to the white pool of fabric he'd thrown to the corner of the basement. The girl was going to shove a wedding dress into the fire? What could have happened to her? "You can't burn that in here. It's not safe. Besides, a wedding dress is something to keep forever."

"Forever. Ha, ha, ha. Forever doesn't exist." Diana ran the back of her hand under her eyes. Brushing past him, she scooped up the dress. "Give me my dress back."

Steve tugged the dress away from her. "You're going to burn the inn down."

He strode past her to the sink near the washer and dryer and filled a pitcher with water. Walking back to the small metal tub, he doused the fire inside. The flames hissed as they died.

"You had no right." She crossed her arms over her chest and her foot tapped on the concrete floor.

"And you have no right trying to burn down the inn," Steve repeated.

"I wasn't going to..." She yanked a hair tie off her wrist and pulled her hair into a quick, messy bun. "I'm sorry."

He took a step closer. Despite her obvious grief and the bad lighting in the basement, Diana's features were stunning even in her present state of distress. Her green eyes were deep with locked secrets.

Her lips quivered. "Can I just have my dress back? Please?"

"Not if you're going to try to do something crazy with it again." He moved his hands behind his back.

She balled her fists up at her sides. "I'm so tired of people telling me what I can and can't do." She marched toward him.

Steve stood still.

"It's just... I can't believe it..." She dissolved into a mess of tears and ragged breaths. Hands covering her face as her shoulders hunched, her knees began to buckle.

No man in the world could handle a woman when she cried like that. He didn't even know her and her tears were making his heart bunch into a knot.

Steve dropped the dress and caught her elbows before she hit the ground. She wasn't even trying to stand anymore. He had to press her to his chest and wrap his arms around her just to keep her upright. "Hey! Don't pass out on me!"

He tightened his hold a bit. "Did someone harm you? Are you in any sort of danger?"

One of her fists pounded against his shoulder three times before her fingers worked open and bunched the fabric of his flannel shirt front. "How could he? I loved him. I was ready.... Everything was already planned.... How could he?" She sniveled into his shirt right next to his heart.

"Whatever happened, I'm sorry you had to go through it." Steve patted her back.

Diana rested her forehead against his chest and took a few rattling breaths. How long had it been since he held a woman in his arms?

Two painful years.

The washing machine along the south wall clicked and started whirling. The tiny legs of the machine clattered against the cement with a high-pitched scratching sound.

The sound snapped Diana back to attention.

She pushed out of his arms. "Oh. I'm so sorry. How stupid of me. You must think that I..."

"You don't have to explain." He handed her the wedding dress.

"Thank you," she mumbled.

Steve glanced up at the ceiling as if he could find directions on how to deal with distraught women written up there.

He wouldn't leave the woman alone in the basement in case she did something else irrational, but he could hold his tongue and give her a minute to collect herself. Besides, it was not like he could help her if she asked. He'd never been able to help anyone before.

Not really.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 2

"Stop acting crazy," Diana told herself.

Diana Snow took a long, deep breath. What a way to start her new life in a new town!

Why wouldn't this man leave her alone? Her pity party was supposed to be at a table for one.

Diana didn't need a stranger seeing her in this state because this wasn't her. She organized everything, made to-do lists, and had every lesson plan in a color-coded binder. She even kept an Excel spreadsheet of her wardrobe to help match outfits for work. But well-laid plans hadn't led to dreams coming true. Not once. So maybe being rational wasn't worth it.

She sank to her knees.

Her fingers traced over the beadwork on the dress in her hands. The perfect wedding dress, a white silk creation with a bodice encrusted with seed pearls and tiny satin bows. It had taken thirteen shopping trips to find it.

Diana hadn't cried when she discovered her fiancé Scott with another woman and hadn't even shed a tear on the long drive from Denver to Middletown. But for some reason, as she unpacked her suitcase in her new room, her body started to ache. It felt like a bad case of heartburn, but more painful. And no matter how tightly she pressed a pillow to herself, the hurt in the pit of her stomach remained.

After catching her fiancé tangled up with a big-breasted, long-haired brunette, Diana knew she needed to leave Denver. All her friends were Scott's friends. Leaving had been her only option.

The man in the basement with her worked his bearded jaw back and forth. Had she really just tossed herself into his arms? Quite a first impression. Diana felt her cheeks begin to burn. What must he think of her?

Regardless of his relaxed pose, he would be able to move quickly if she did something reckless with her dress again. Not that she planned to.

The man took a slow step closer. "Miss, how can I help you?" Diana looked up and locked her gaze with his for the first time. His eyes were warm, the color of hazel.

Diana swallowed hard. "I'm okay."

He raised a brow. "Are you sure? You could talk to me if that would make things better. I'll listen." His voice was strong and reassuring.

"I'm sorry. This isn't how I usually am. You caught me at a bad time."

Diana clutched the dress to her stomach. Maybe she'd sell the dress at a consignment shop in town. At least get some money out of it to help save toward a home of her own. Although, the sooner she found a place of her own, the more the loneliness might step in.

She set the dress on top of the washing machine. No need to bring it back to her bedroom. It would only serve as a reminder there.

"My name is Steve. I'm a friend of Percy and Laura, the owners. I'm helping her with some repairs while her husband is working out of town. Do you want me to go get her?"

Diana shook her head.

"Is there something I can do for you?"

"Just go." Her voice cracked a little, even though she fought it. "I'm sure you have better things to do."

"Right now, making sure you're safe is the most important thing on my list."

She couldn't make Steve leave, not if he shared a friendship with the inn owner.

Diana turned her back on him. A chill ran through her body. Why were basements so cold?

Steve cleared his throat. "You're pretty quiet for a girl."

"For a girl, huh?" Diana fought back the first smile of the day as she turned to face him.

A soft smile broke out across Steve's lips, "I have a sister. Her name is Grace. She talks a mile a minute."

"I'm sorry we had to meet like this. I'll go to my room," Diana rushed to the stairs and grabbed the railing. She looked back at Steve. He opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but didn't.

"Go, Diana. Just go."

Without looking behind her again, she climbed the stairs and tried to forget the image of the concerned man in the basement with gentle, hazel eyes.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 3

Steve scrubbed his hand over the close-clipped hair on his chin. Women were confusing, plain and simple. At least the fire situation was under control.

"So, Smokey the Bear, what was it?" Laura's voice made him jump.

He turned to face her. "Do you have a new guest here?"

She wiped the dirt from gardening on her ripped jeans. "Do you mean Diana? Let's see, she's about this tall. Pretty redhead thing."

Steve nodded. He pressed the wedding dress into Laura's hands. "That's her. Don't give this dress back to her unless you're sure she's not going to use it to light your basement on fire again."

"On fire?" Laura's eyes grew big.

"Told you I smelled something."

Laura hugged the dress to her chest. "That poor woman."

"Are you sure she's safe? You know, right in the head?" Steve tapped his temple with a fingertip.

"She's safe. I promise. Principal Livingston asked me to let her stay here until the tourists clear out and she can rent something more permanent in town."

"Principal Livingston?" Steve frowned.

"Yes. Diana is the new English teacher." Laura said with a smile.

The three English teachers' rooms were across the hall from where Steve taught science at Middletown High. So he would be seeing a lot more of Diana.

"Don't worry about her," Laura assured Steve.

He shrugged. "Other than my sister, who else do I have to worry about?"

"Steve." She reached a hand toward him but let it drop to her side. "I didn't mean to..."

No more pity. He couldn't stand another person's concerned eyes on him. That was the problem with a small town, everyone knew what had happened to his wife and treated him differently because of it.

"The sink is fixed. Tell Percy he owes me one" He plodded up the steps. "See you later."

"Thank you, Steve."

"Happy to help," Steve gave Laura a soft smile and gathered his tools from the kitchen table.

He checked his phone. No texts from his sister yet. He still had time. Maybe he'd go shoot hoops at the school first.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 4

Diana scoured mascara off her face so hard she left a red patch of skin.

What must Steve think of her? Hopefully, she would never have to run into him again. Facing him after she tossed herself into his arms would be nothing short of mortifying.

She probably would see him again. Hadn't he said he was friends with Laura? More reason to find an apartment or home to rent somewhere else in town and soon as she could.

She needed to do somethingto clear her mind. Going to bed before the sun went down seemed a little too desperate. Without wasting another minute, she snagged her gym shoes out of the closet and tugged them on. Diana wouldn't go for a jog tonight, but she could scope out a trail to run the next time she needed escape.

Laura cleared her throat when Diana entered the kitchen.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" She wiped her hands on her green checkered apron and gave Diana a sad smile.

"I'm guessing Steve told you about my episode downstairs. I'm so sorry. That's not like me. I promise I won't act like that again."

Laura waved her words away. "Don't even think about it. We are a small community, we take care of each other. You better get used to it," Laura grasped Diana's hand, leaving some flour on her fingers.

"That's why I'm here. Principal Livingston made it sound like a wonderful place to live," Diana tried to infuse life into her voice.

Laura went back to punching a wad of dough on the counter. "I hung your dress up downstairs."

"Thanks. Do you need help preparing anything? I don't know a lot about cooking, but I'm willing to learn."

"No need. I'm almost done for tonight. But I appreciate the offer." Laura rubbed the back of her hand on her forehead, leaving more flour.

"Well, if you ever need me to, I do know one recipe for scones. It's about the only thing I know how to do in the kitchen." Diana laid her hand on the doorknob that led to the public section of the inn.

"I'll probably take you up on that at some point."

"Anytime. I'm going to go out for a little walk. Is it safe here?"

Laura snorted as if the question was unnecessary. "Yes, it is,"

Diana went out and started walking around. Even the most insignificant house here had more personality than any house found in the suburbs she had grown up in. Each one seemed to have a story, with a hundred years of history to be told.

A fresh start in Middletown was all she needed.

Staying in Denver meant seeing Scott. She had no interest hearing his excuses. He never apologized or showed real remorse. No, staying hadn't been a viable option.

She could do this. Maybe in a few weeks, she'd have a bunch of friends here.

At the bend in the road, the canopy of trees broke and the residential properties became closer together. Fresh air mingled with the smell of someone barbecuing.

A large town square made up the bustling portion of Middletown. There was a large fountain, a grassy area, a few park benches, a white gazebo, and a small rose garden.

She followed the road that led to the lake. The tourist leaflet said that the calm waters of the lake drew hundreds of visitors to Middletown every summer.

On the way back, she took a different road, and somehow she found the Middletown High building. She stood in the parking lot, hands on her hips, and scanned the area.

A group of teens tossed a basketball around on the far outdoor court. Probably her future students. A couple of elementary-school kids sat on the sidelines.

Her previous teaching experience had been at inner-city schools in Denver, but students in a small town couldn't be that different, not really. If she'd learned something while teaching it was that all teens needed one thing, someone to let them know that their life mattered and they had worth as is.

She'd wanted to be a teacher since grade school, but when she finished high school her passion for teaching sparked inside of her.

Diana took a couple of steps forward, squinting to watch the basketball game. The tall man called for a break and walked over to where the children sat. The two boys hopped up when he offered them the basketball. The man motioned for them to follow him to the basket, where he took turns lifting both of them to dunk the ball.

His gesture warmed her heart and made her long for the family she dreamed of but wouldn't have. In her experience, it was a rare trait in a man to choose to play with kids when he could be standing courtside joking with the older students.

When they called game again, Diana crept a bit closer. She took a seat on a wooden bench near the court.

The tallest man dribbled the ball, skirted past his opponent, and sank the ball into the net with a swoosh. Caught up in the moment, Diana clapped.

The player turned around and locked gazes with her. Recognition hit her in the stomach like a punch.

Steve.

She shot to her feet, spun around, and picked her way across the field in the opposite direction. So much for her hopes of never seeing him again.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 5

"Can we not talk about this right now?" Steve dropped his voice and glanced around the McDonalds to see if anyone was listening to him and his sister Grace. Burgers sizzled on the big grill in the back and a grease tang hung thick in the air.

Grace was a real estate agent. She was smart, sassy, and easygoing.

Grace shoved the coleslaw around on her plate with her fork. "I'm not dropping this. Hear me out. It's like your life is on hold. You've mourned long enough. I hope you know that."

Steve grabbed the saltshaker and slid it between both of his hands. "Is there a time limit on grief? Seriously, Grace, leave it alone."

"I can't. You can mourn for all eternity if you like, but you can't close your heart or it will wither to nothing. It's hard for me too, you know. Peggy was my best friend."

"Why can't you leave me alone?" Steve asked his sister.

Grace looked at his brother. "You're the only family that I have left to bug, so you have to indulge my meddling whims."

"Not on this." He shoved the rest of his burger toward the center of the table.

Grace reached across the table and laid her hand over his. "You're still young and have so much of your life left, Bro. Peggy would have wanted you happy. You know that, don't you?"

He snaked his hand from hers and dropped it in his lap under the table. "I am happy. Sometimes. Like during the school year with students filing into his science classroom, or when I went camping with them. The last day, they talked around the fire pit about how much they had learned and grown that week."

Grace offered her brother a sad smile. "You? Happy? Well, Steve McAllister, you could have fooled me."

Steve leaned forward and lowered his voice. "If you wanted to talk about this we could have done it at home."

DB86
DB86
1,245 Followers
123456...9