Love Again

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Livingston lifted his hands and made a motion for Steve to take his seat again. "Settle down, Steve. That's why I called you both in. I didn't want to spring anything on you. We need to talk about this."

"There's nothing to talk about." Steve shook his head. His eyes fixed on Livingston. "She probably has no experience dealing with this kind of teen. The neighborhood has changed rapidly for the worst lately." Steve crossed the room and yanked the door open.

"Steve," Livingston called after him. "The board took some safety measures. We got a fenced parking lot, for example."

"It's not enough and the board knows it because I have told all of you hundreds of times," Steve walked out the door and slammed it against the frame.

Livingston sighed, bringing Diana back into the present conversation. "Don't worry. Steve will come around."

Diana nodded trying to make sense of what happened.

"I wanted Steve and you to meet before you showed up at the place. Offer him a chance to process. It just wouldn't have been fair to spring this on him in front of other people. You saw how he reacted. After Peggy died, he has become overprotective."

Diana looked down at the ground. "So Steve was married to Peggy, the founder of this place?"

"Yes."

"And she died?"

Livingston frowned. "I'm afraid so. The whole town of Middletown loved Peggy. A woman like her is impossible to replace."

Diana's stomach twisted. "That's so sad."

Now Steve's sudden gloom made sense. He seemed too young to be a widower. She'd never lost anyone close, so she couldn't identify with him, but her heart ached for him all the same. Behind his hazel eyes, Steve hid the pain, the loss of an irreplaceable woman. She would remember that next time they talked.

"Very sad indeed. Having you at Equal Opportunity will be hard on him. Don't hear me wrong. Steve's a good man, and he does what he thinks is best, safest, for everyone." The principal straightened a pile on his desk.

"What kind of work is done at Equal Opportunity exactly?" Diana asked.

"Nowadays, college degrees are more important than ever. Most of the good job offerings require a college degree. But getting into, paying for, and graduating from college is also no easy task. It's only more difficult for low-income students. Equal Opportunity is dedicated to promoting low-income students, helping them access and pursue the education they deserve. It was Peggy's idea. She was a therapist. A great one."

Diana made a gesture indicating she was following him.

"At Equal Opportunity, we work hard to ensure that those kids won't be looked over or treated unfairly when it comes to education. So, what do you think about it."

"I've taught gang members in my classes in Denver." Diana shrugged. "It's something you get used to, as weird as that sounds. It wasn't much fun, but we managed."

"I figured as much reading your resume. Between you and me, the place could use the infusion of some new blood. Especially female blood. Now, there is one other thing I want to discuss with you if you have another moment."

Livingston opened a manila file on his desk. "You played volleyball in college, right?"

"All four years." Diana tried to smile, but her mind was still on Equal Opportunity. She really liked the idea. Hopefully, Steve wouldn't make her time there uncomfortable.

"Would you be willing to sit in on tryouts this year? We had some troubles last year... accusations of unfair selections. I'd like the decision to be made by more than just the coach."

Who happened to be Georgina. Great! But after what Amelia said about teachers needing to be involved, she couldn't say no to her first chance. And it was only tryouts, not a commitment to coaching all season.

Diana chose her words carefully. "I guess I wouldn't mind helping, but I don't want to step on any more toes than I feel like I already have. Are you sure my help would be well received?"

"Show up at the gym tomorrow afternoon, and leave the coach to me. It'll all be fine."

Famous last words.

Diana shuffled out of the office, suddenly not looking forward to lugging her bags home anymore. Her bags felt heavier than before as she left the office. She came to Middletown to get away from drama, yet it seemed like she'd just found more.

Steve leaned on the lockers across from the main office, his hands jammed in his pockets. Diana kept her head down and walked in the opposite direction from him.

"Wait up." He caught up to her in two strides. "Look, I'm sorry for how I sounded in there. I shouldn't have gotten worked up. Can we talk about this a little more?"

The canvas bags bit into her shoulder, and she switched it to the other arm. "Not if you're just going to tell me no again."

"Let me drive you back to the inn."

"What?"

"A ride. To the inn. Your bags look heavy." He rubbed the back of his neck.

She glanced out the front doors. The temperature outside had climbed all day. She'd already considered digging out her bathing suit and heading to the lake. A ride might not be such a bad idea.

If she and Steve were going to work together, she'd have to talk to him again at some point. So, she might as well get over the awkwardness now while she had the chance.

"Know what? It's hot. I'll take you up on the offer."

"I'm parked at the far end of the lot. Wait here. I'll pull up to the front." He turned to leave before Diana had a chance to reconsider.

She stood in the lobby and watched him make his way to a large green pickup parked at the back of the lot. Almost everyone had left for the day.

Georgina clipped down the hall toward her on high heels. A stylish belt accentuated the woman's trim midsection, and with her blouse unbuttoned at least one button too many, her string of pearls laid in just the right place to draw even more male attention.

"You won't last." Georgina stopped a few feet away. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Excuse me?" Diana straightened her spine.

Now probably wasn't the best time to tell Georgina she'd be at the volleyball tryouts.

"They haven't been able to keep anyone in that position for years." Georgina took a step closer as she eyed Diana from head to toe and found her lacking. The woman towered over her.

Be kind.

"Thanks for the heads-up." Diana forced a smile.

"Tell me you've at least taught before."

Diana forced her shoulders and hands to relax, a trick she'd learned over the years

"Yes. Three years in Denver."

Georgina laughed and splayed her hand across her ample bosom.

"Middletown is completely different to a big city. You won't last. Not with the people in this town and not with that attitude."

Attitude?

Steve honked the horn of his pickup.

Diana jumped. "I have to go."

Georgina trailed her down the front steps. "You'rewith Steve?"

Whatever that meant.

"Yes." Diana sidestepped Georgina to get to the passenger door. She yanked the handle. "Sorry, I really have to leave."

Diana climbed into the cab and buckled her seat belt. She pulled down the visor on the mirror and pretended to check for something in her eye to avoid Steve's gaze.

Making Georgina think she and Steve were an item probably wasn't her best idea.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 10

Georgina sauntered around the front of Steve's truck.

Steve sent Diana a look he hoped told her he was sorry for the delay Georgina would, no doubt, cause.

Georgina motioned for him to roll down his window. When he did, she leaned on his door and then reached into the car to smooth her hand over an imaginary wrinkle on the sleeve of his shirt. "Running away so quick? I didn't get to talk to you today."

Steve curled his hands around the leather wheel. "You know how it is. The first day is always a whirlwind."

She rested her chin in the palm of her hand and lowered her eyelids halfway when she talked. "We'll have to find some time this week to catch up. Maybe lunch. Or dinner. Or both could be arranged. I could cook for you at my place." She played with her necklace.

How did a guy tell a girl he's not interested once and again when she doesn't take a hint?

"Thank you, but no thank you. You should know I'm not interested in dating, Georgina. Have a nice day." Steve popped the gear out.

Georgina wouldn't be someone he'd pursue if he would. Too aggressive for his liking.

Georgina crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes when Steve started to pull away. She shot a mean look at Diana.

Steve puffed out a long stream of air as he pulled out of the parking lot. The radio local country station was playing a sad song over his speakers. Something about a lost dog and a state fair.

Steve stole a glance at Diana. His gut tightened. He had to convince her not to go to Equal Opportunity. But how?

The truth.

It was time to open up again about Peggy's death. No matter how much he didn't want to. This was his punishment. For the rest of his life, he'd relive his failure over and over. He failed to Peggy, but it was within his power to save Diana.

Diana glanced across the cabin as Steve pulled onto a road and turned away from the downtown portion of Middletown.

"Where are you taking me?" She tried to keep her voice calm, but she needed to get back to the inn to work on her lesson plan for tomorrow.

"I'm just taking the long way home, if that's okay with you. Like I said back at school, I want to talk."

She had a lot to get done tonight, but she also needed to smooth things over with Steve if she was going to be working with him.

Diana nodded once. She slipped on her sunglasses to peek at Steve.

Jane Austen would have described him as dashing. As the evening sunlight skipped over Steve's head, the color of his hair seemed to shift from black to brown

She shifted in her seat. "Put the brakes on, girl." She needed to view him like Scott. Like her father. A man who couldn't be trusted.

If her breakup with Scott had taught her one thing, it was that white knights didn't exist.

It took only a few minutes for the homes to grow farther and farther apart. Steve turned after a sign that read 'Panoramic point'.

A small road snaked around trees. A both sides of the road, small, different-colored signs marked hiking paths ranging from beginner to expert level. Steve pulled around the last bend and Diana had to shield her eyes from the sun. They cleared the wooded area and were at the top of a hill. Steve rolled the truck to the edge of the pavement and turned it off.

The view out of the windshield made Diana catch her breath.

The lake spilled out before them far into the horizon, its water breaking in a thousand white crests as the water rolled back and forth. A coastline of beaches stretched for miles.

"This is beautiful." Diana unbuckled her seat belt and braced her hands on the front of the dash.

The knotted feeling in Diana's stomach loosened a bit. She could get used to sights like this. She'd have to remember to come here for her jogs.

Steve looped his hands over the steering wheel. "It's my favorite spot."

"All right, enough stalling," Steve said to himself.

"I want to explain why I don't want you to volunteer at Equal Opportunity." He cringed. That came out wrong.

Diana's gaze, which a moment ago had been fixed out the front window, snapped in his direction. She narrowed her eyes. "What's your problem?"

"Equal Opportunity is in Portland, in a bad neighborhood. Those teens are far from being adorable and collaborative. Some of them were part of gangs. Some were hooked on heavy drugs. They can be dangerous."

"I see your point, but I think it's my choice to make, not yours," Diana stated in a firm voice.

"Why mess with danger when there are so many other things you could spend your time doing?" Steve spoke slowly and evenly, she needed to understand that the danger was real. She needed to back out. She should stay safe in Middletown.

"Principal Livingston told me about the work you do. I want to help. I'll be fine."

"I don't think you get it."

"Actually, I do. Ithinkyou're forgetting that not only did I grow up twenty minutes from one of the biggest cities in the country, but I also taught inner-city students. I promise you, Denver's got more issues than Portland. I'm not afraid."

"You should be." He clenched his jaw. "It's dangerous."

She tossed her hands in the air. "I can't live my life controlled by fear. I won't."

The conversation was not going well. Steve needed to choose his words carefully.

"Did Livingston tell you about my wife?" He paused and gulped. "About Peggy?"

"He said she passed away and that she was an incredible woman." Diana's voice was quiet. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you. Peggy and I had been friends since grade school." Steve took a deep breath then continued. "Everyone knew we'd get married."

He sighed. It still hurt to think about her.

"I guess you don't need all the backstory."

She tilted her head. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

Steve cleared his throat. "No. I do. See, Peggy had this heart to help others. She wanted to make a difference and didn't care if that put her in danger. I usually went with her when she went to Equal Opportunity. Something about her going alone didn't sit well with me. That kind of place attracts dangerous people. But then, this one night, we got into a fight. We shouldn't have yelled."

He swallowed hard again.

Why did he have to argue with her? Steve asked himself that question every night as he lay in bed. If only he hadn't brought up his desire to start a family, if he hadn't pushed the issue with Peggy yet again, she'd still be here.

"We didn't apologize to each other before she left that night." The words tumbled from his mouth fast and weighty. "I didn't go with her. I should have. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't. She should never have been left on her own there..."

The admission felt like fire to his gut. When he talked about how he'd failed Peggy, well, then he wanted to punch something. No. Not just something, Steve wanted to punch himself. After promising to protect his wife for the rest of his life, he had failed.

Diana tentatively laid her hand on his forearm. "You don't have to go on."

Steve took a deep breath fighting the tears.

"I got the call three hours later. Some coward attacked her as she was locking up that night. They made off with her phone, her wedding ring, and her wallet." Steve gulped hard fighting the lump in his throat. "She died there before the paramedics arrived."

Diana squeezed his forearm where her hand still rested. "It's not your fault."

He slipped his arm away from her touch and ran his hand through his hair. "I should have been there."

Diana felt nothing but compassion for Steve. "You can't blame yourself."

Steve jammed the keys into the ignition and the truck shook to life. He glanced back at her, catching her gaze right before she turned away. "Please reconsider volunteering at Equal Opportunity. That's all I'm asking. There are other places that are safer."

"I promise to think about it," she said. "Thanks for trusting me with your story."

Diana didn't talk again on the way back to the inn which suited him. After bringing back the memory of Peggy's last day, Steve didn't want to keep up small talk.

He could only hope her silence had meant that Diana changed her mind. He needed to keep her safe.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 11

Laura welcomed Diana with a smile. "I have some homemade tea waiting for you in the kitchen."

Laura went inside the kitchen and came back in balancing a pitcher of tea and a plate of cookies. "I hope you like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies."

"Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are perfect." Diana smiled and snagged two.

Both ladies sipped their tea in silence. Diana looked around admiring the objects on display. The mantelpiece showed family photos. Among them, there was a photo of Steve on his wedding day.

"You are close to Steve," Diana said.

"Yes, we are friends. His wife was the therapist of one of my best friends. When Peggy died everyone thought it would be best if he didn't stay alone, so he and his sister Grace moved in together."

Diana stood up and took the wedding picture in her hands. Peggy was gorgeous. "He told me a little about her today."

"Really?" Laura set down her glass. "He so rarely talks about her. Sometimes it makes me feel like he hasn't processed through everything yet."

"I want to volunteer at Equal Opportunity so..."

Laura popped to her feet and started to pace. "You know he'll never let you, right?"

"How I understand it from Principal Livingston, it's not up to Steve." Diana crossed her arms.

Laura stopped moving and faced Diana. "Did he tell you everything?"

Diana put the picture back on the mantelpiece. "I don't think so."

Laura sat down and patted the chair at her side. "Steve and Peggy were inseparable. They knew each other since they were kids. Her death nearly destroyed Steve."

Diana nodded. "He blames himself."

"I know. He can be so thickheaded." Laura shook her head. "Everyone has told him a thousand times that what happened was not his fault. But he keeps saying that if he'd gone along that night, Peggy would still be alive."

Diana nodded.

"The man who shot Peggy could have used his gun on both of them. What does Steve really think he could have done to fight off a gun?" Laura said.

Diana gasped. "She was shot?"

"Oh, he didn't tell you that?" Laura's eyes went wide.

"He only said that she was attacked and died."

"Two gunshot wounds. The offender was never found."

Laura looked away. A few moments passed before she started speaking again. "I think Steve has spent the last two years finding every way imaginable to punish himself."

"He has to see he's not responsible for the actions of a stranger."

Laura sighed as she picked up the empty plate. "Sometimes, it's easier to hold on to guilt than it is to forgive."

"Who does he need to forgive? The gunman?" Diana grabbed the two cups and trailed Laura into the kitchen.

Laura laid the dish in the sink and gazed out the window. She pressed her hand to her lips before whispering, "Himself. Steve needs to forgive himself."

* * * * *

CHAPTER 12

"Do you want some eggs?" Grace asked her brother.

Steve adjusted his tie. It took him a few seconds to recognize the man who faced him in the mirror. He had finally shaved his summer beard.

He turned and smiled at his little sister. "No, thanks. I'll grab a cup of coffee on the way to school."

"Well, you better be off. I don't want to keep you from that cute new redhead teacher."

Ever since he'd made the mistake of casually mentioning his talk with Diana, Grace found every chance to mention her. Steve shoved the teacher binder into a backpack. "Did I tell you she wants to volunteer at Equal Opportunity?"

Grace rolled her eyes. "Only about seven times."

"Well, she does." He opened the fridge and grabbed his lunch. The rest of the shelves looked bare. "Do you want me to get something on my way home for dinner? I can stop and get groceries if you send me a list."

"You'll be on your own for dinner tonight." Grace picked at her nails, a sure sign that she was nervous about something.

Steve set his bags on the counter. "So you have plans tonight? Going out with one of your girlfriends?"

Grace looked out the window. "A guy is taking me out."

He crossed his arms and fought the papa-bear protective urge rising in his chest. The one that made him want to growl at any man who came within ten feet of her. Grace was an adult, but she would always be his baby sister.

She should be married by now if Peggy wouldn't have died, and he wouldn't have needed her badly. Instead, she was stuck with him.

123456...9