Love Again

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then you wouldn't have been hiding by it?" she said trying to defuse the situation.

"Be serious. This is a dangerous neighborhood."

"So you keep saying." Diana just wanted to get in her car and go home.

He shoved his hands into his pockets. "I'll continue to remind you of that until you get it."

Diana folded her arms, pressing her hands into her armpits to hide that they were shaking. "And what exactly does getting it mean? Dropping out? Not being a part of this?"

She took a step closer to him. "Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean you can bully me until..."

"I'm not bullying you." He put his hands on her shoulders, making her look up at him.

"You are." The words should have come out with more force and in a more convincing tone, but some of her fight was gone. Speaking up was harder than she imagined. No wonder she'd never been able to state her doubts with Scott.

Steve let his arms fall to his sides. "I'm sorry I'm making you feel I am. It's not my intention."

Diana shivered.

"You're cold." In a fluid movement, he unsnapped his jacket and slipped it around her shoulders.

"It's not necessary... my car will warm up and..."

"Please keep the coat on." Steve's voice was gentle. "You can give it back to me tomorrow."

She kept staring into his eyes. As much as she wanted to believe Steve was just another controlling man, Diana couldn't deny the concern written in his wrinkled brow and open expression.

"Be safe, Diana."

She nodded and fumbled with her keys as she got into her old Ford. Her engine coughed when she turned it on, and she slowly pulled out of the parking lot. Steve's truck followed.

When she had a bit more money, she'd have to have her car tuned up. What would she do if it broke down here?

Phone AAA and wait by the side of the road? Scary.

At the stop sign, she glanced at the truck lights behind her in the rearview mirror. Steve. He'd take care of her if her car broke down tonight.

For the first time, Diana was thankful he was so protective.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 17

The farmer's market took over Middletown's square each Saturday morning. Grace and Steve, like most people in town, did grocery shopping once a week. It was also a good occasion to socialize and exchange the latest gossip.

The heady, sweet scent of ripe fruit and fresh-baked bread filled the air. Amber jars of honey caught the sunlight and cast prisms onto the ground. Tiny pumpkins decorated with painted faces in different expressions dotted every table. Pyramids of yellow corn, squash, and zucchini filled a whole table, butting up against a refrigerated compartment on wheels with fresh meat and large blocks of orange cheese encased behind glass.

Steve checked around looking for Diana, but she wasn't there. Not that he cared. She probably didn't want anything to do with him. She was on his mind this morning, thanks to Grace, who had teased him mercilessly during the whole walk to the square.

"She's pretty, isn't she? Diana? You're a goner for her."

Steve pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and paid for the produce Grace picked out from Farmer Stamford's booth.

"That's all we need. I'll chat with the girls," Grace told her brother.

Across the grassy town square, near the small rose garden, Principal Livingston sat on a park bench and waved for Steve to join him. That was the bad side of small-town living, he could never escape his boss. Good thing he liked the man.

Livingston held a giant chocolate-chip ice-cream cone as he smiled at Steve. "Enjoying your first school-year weekend?"

"Plan to." Steve set the heavy canvas bag next to Livingston.

"Did you need something, sir?"

"I know we're off school hours, but I wanted to remind you about the End of Summer Dance. I should have done so on Friday, but I forgot."

Steve's gut tightened. "What about the End of Summer Dance?" Out of all of Middletown's yearly events, and there were many, the End of Summer Dance had been Peggy's favorite. There was always a scramble to find adults willing to wear the label of chaperone. It probably had something to do with the fact that the chaperones had to serve as square-dance instructors for the party, as well. Steve had avoided the event the past two years driving out of town.

Edward Livingston ate some of his ice-cream cone and said, "I looked in the file, and in our rotation schedule, this year's chaperoning duties fall on the science department. Since you're department Chair I want you to be at the event and get commitments from three of the other teachers."

Steve's jaw locked for a moment. "I can't."

Livingston nodded as if he expected his reaction. "I'm sorry, Steve, but you'll have to attend the Dance this year. Special events are listed in the contract you signed when you took over as head of the department last year. I thought you knew that." The principal's voice was gentle but firm.

"Evidently I didn't read all the small print."

"If you look, that's part of your role. I'll need you to lead the other volunteers as they brush up on the steps for square dancing, and you'll have to bring a partner to the dance so you can teach the students the steps involved."

"You're ordering me to bring a date?"

"Not ordering, more like, reminding you to fulfill your responsibility."

Steve grabbed the bag of produce and headed to find Grace. His mood was definitely ruined. Being surrounded by so many people had suddenly lost all its appeal. He needed some time alone.

Most of all, he needed to think of a reason not to attend the event.

* * *

Laura looped one of her arms through Diana's, holding her daughter, Lily on her other hand. "Have I told you how glad I am that you are living at the inn?"

"Only about five or six times." Diana patted Laura's hand as they walked down the sidewalk toward the center of town.

"Usually, my husband Percy comes to the market with me but, since he's out of town, it's nice to have company."

Laura told Diana that she had to be seen at the farmer's market if she wanted to successfully become a member of the town. "Besides you can check the male population."

"I'm not looking for a man." Diana kept her voice low and waved to some of her students as they passed.

"You sound like it's a bad thing to want that," Laura clearly didn't feel the need to keep the conversation private or her voice low. "I have a feeling you didn't always believe that."

"Oh, really?" Diana's cheeks blushed.

"You're so standoffish when the topic of men or dating comes up. I'm terrified that you've cut yourself off from the possibility of love." Laura placed her hand on Diana's forearm. "What happened to you?"

Diana checked around. There was no one nearby right now. "You know what happened? Men lie, they can't be trusted. I feel no need to be in a relationship just to find myself disappointed and hurt in the end."

"Not all men. My husband is one of the good ones." Laura knew it was Diana's pain talking, so she didn't push the issue.

They were so immersed in their conversation that as she rounded the corner Diana smashed right into Steve's chest.

"Careful," Steve grabbed her wrist to steady her.

The bouquet he carried thumped to the ground. Who were those flowers for? Georgina?

A pretty woman with wavy brown hair peeked out from behind Steve. "Is this her?"

Steve and Diana both stooped to pick up the flowers but instead banged heads.

"Ouch!"

"Are you okay?" Steve asked Diana.

"I'm fine." She rubbed her forehead. "Sorry about your flowers."

The girl with wavy hair stepped forward. "They're fine. They were just for the house anyway." She scooped the pretty blooms up and pressed them to her nose.

"This is my sister. Grace." Steve jutted his finger to indicate the pixie-size woman next to him.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Diana." She extended her hand.

Grace grinned at her. "You should know by now, we don't do the whole shake hands approach in this town." She reached over and hugged Diana. "So you're the one who's been getting under my brother's skin? Now I know why, you're truly beautiful."

Steve looked off and acted like he couldn't hear Grace, but Diana saw he was watching them.

"What's with the worried face, Steve?" Laura asked her friend.

"Livingston wants him to chaperone the End of Summer Dance," Grace explained.

"You know pretty well why I don't want to be there," Steve mumbled.

"While you comfort my brother, Laura, I'll show Diana around," Grace looped her arm through Diana's.

Diana glanced over her shoulder at Steve and Laura. "Can I ask what you meant when you said I've been getting under Steve's skin?"

Grace smiled at a group of kids running around. "Let's just say he brings you up, often."

Diana stopped. "In an I-can't-stand-that-girl way?"

The corners of Grace's lips tipped up. "Nope. Not like that. But I think I've probably said too much already."

"Sorry. I don't want you to break any sort of sisterly bond, but I guess I'm having a hard time understanding your brother."

Grace turned and tilted her head. "Steve's not hard to figure out. He's basically an open book. I mean, he takes care of everyone, waaaay more than he needs to. He loves kids and teaching, and keeps to himself for pretty much everything else."

"A regular Rochester." Diana selected two bracelets to try on from a stall.

"Huh?" Grace wrinkled her nose.

"Sorry. English teacher reference." Diana laughed. "It's from the book Jane Eyre."

"Does this Rochester guy at least get a happy ending?"

"Eventually. But he's a grouch for almost half the book."

"That sounds like my brother." Grace rolled her eyes.

"What sounds like your brother?" Steve's voice made both of the women jump.

His sister offered a silly grin. "Diana says you're like some fictional guy named Rochester."

Heat raced up Diana's neck. Hopefully, Steve didn't know English literature well enough to know who the character was.

She spun around to meet his eyes.

He knew.

Steve tilted his head and squinted at her. "That brooding guy with his wife locked in an attic?"

Grace burst out laughing and fanned her face. "Oh. That's so funny. You didn't tell me that attic part, Diana. Have fun explaining that one."

Grace squeezed Diana's arm and walked away from them.

* * * * *

CHAPTER 18

Steve fought back a smile. Diana always came off as so knowledgeable and put together, it was fun to catch her off her game.

Diana's cheeks turned red. "I guess I shouldn't have said that."

He shrugged and softened his voice. "I don't remember that much about Rochester. I haven't read that book since my high school days, and that was a long time ago. But I did see the movie with my w..." a shadow crossed Steve's face. "Never mind."

Diana took an orange bracelet from a booth and handed her credit card to the person manning the stand.

"Cash only." The guy pointed to indicate a small handwritten sign on the table.

"Oh. I didn't bring any with me." Diana's cheeks flushed.

Steve pulled out his wallet and handed a few bills to the clerk. "I've got it."

"I'll pay you back at school on Monday."

His fingers brushed against her hand as he tied the bracelet on. "There's no need. Consider it a late welcome-to-town gift."

They walked side by side in silence for a while. Diana finally said "I picked orange because it made me think of Sonny."

Steve chuckled. "That'll make his day when you tell him."

"He seems like a good boy."

"Sonny has a good heart." Steve adjusted the bag of vegetables he carried. "But both of his older brothers are heavily involved in gangs. I worry about him a lot."

Diana stopped in her tracks and a small child darted around her. "That's why the work we do at Equal Opportunity is so important."

Images of Sonny's brothers, popped into his head. "We didn't save his older brothers."

"But you offered them another option."

"You truly have a heart for those kids," Steve stared at Diana, the genuine hope in her voice and the shine in her eyes made him soften.

"I believe everyone deserves equal opportunities," Laura explained. "Pun intended."

He swallowed hard. "Which means you're still set on volunteering?"

"Absolutely. You're not getting rid of me." Diana stepped closer. "Just so you know, I did think about what you said the other day. I weighed the dangers, but I'm still going."

"Can you at least promise me that you'll only go if I'm going to be there? I'd feel more comfortable about it if you'd agree to that." He put both his hands up to stop her from starting to talk. "Now, before you answer, let me tell you that I've only missed one night in the past two years."

She shrugged. "I promise."

After Steve left, Diana bought an ice-cream cone and snagged a seat in the gazebo.

A couple of girls she knew as students congregated on the gazebo steps but didn't seem to notice her. They pointed at Georgina, who happened to be strutting around the market in spandex pants and a sports bra and started laughing.

"Do you think they are natural?" One girl snorted.

"No way! No one has a chest like that without surgery," said the second one.

"She's such a joke. No one likes her," said the first girl.

"Please feel sorry for me... I'm stuck on the volleyball team with her."

"My dad said when she was in high school she slept with the whole football team and still no one asked her to prom."

"She's sooo pathetic."

Diana's throat clammed up even though she wanted to tell them to stop.

Georgina glanced over her shoulder at them and then made a beeline for the town hall. Diana finally found her voice.

She snapped to her feet and surged forward. "Girls, it's not nice to talk about someone like that."

The girls froze, unaware that Diana had been sitting a few feet from them.

Finally, one of them regained her composure. "She couldn't hear us, Miss S."

"That not the point. The word here is respect." Diana joined them on the steps. "She's a teacher at your school so she deserves your respect."

The shortest girl crossed her arms and jutted out her chin.

"That doesn't mean we have to like her."

Diana sighed. "You're right to a point. We all click with some people and not with others and don't have control over that, but we do have control over our words and how we treat people. I want better from you girls than to use your words and conversations to hurt others or convince yourself you're better than someone."

Both girls mumbled that they understood, but who knew? She caught the short one rolling her eyes as they walked away.

Diana was sure to end up in a tweet.

Diana made a split-second decision to check on Georgina. If she had heard what the girls said...

She crossed the street and opened the front door to the town hall. Diana walked into the women's restroom. Georgina dabbed at her eyes in the farthest mirror. Clearly, she had been crying.

Diana approached her slowly. "Are you okay?"

Georgina scowled at her. "You must have loved overhearing that."

"Actually, I hated it and I told the girls so." Diana placed her purse on the sink. "No one should talk about another person like that."

Georgina faced her. "What if what they said was true? What if I've done every single thing they said?" Her face crumpled. "No wonder people hate me."

Diana handed Georgina a pack of tissues. "If what they said was true, all that stuff happened in the past. If you don't want those things to be true, you don't have to be that person tomorrow. The best thing about each day, it's the chance for a do-over in life."

"But that stuff doesn't go away. People don't forget no matter how hard you try. In the end, you become a bitter person and no one likes you."

"You're right. It'll always be a part of you. It all adds to your story and shapes who you become, but it doesn't have to be who you are. You can be a different person if you want. Does that make sense?" Diana offered what she hoped was an encouraging smile.

"Maybe."

"Can I do anything for you?"

Georgina turned her back on Diana. She yanked a hooded sweatshirt from her bag and tugged it on over her sports bra.

"Don't tell anyone about this."

"Of course not."

Georgina wanted to be left alone, so Diana gathered her bags and made the trek back to the Inn. The whole walk home Diana thought about her conversation with Georgina. The woman had so much in her past that held her back. Georgina could have been a well-liked person if she would let go of the baggage and drop the prickly exterior to open herself up to others.

In a way, she was no different to Georgina. She also needed to leave her distrust of men and hurt in the past to move forward.

CHAPTER 19

"I can't believe I finally found a place to live." Diana looked at the small house she had rented with a smile. "Thank your sister for finding the perfect home for me."

"I will."

Steve had offered to help her to move her stuff out of the inn. His truck was parked in front of the house full of boxes and bags. During the last weeks, things between them had improved somewhat. Steve was kinder to Diana and had finally accepted her as a volunteer in Equal Opportunity.

The moment Steve walked inside, another vehicle turned into Laura's driveway. A red BMW parked behind Steve's truck, heaving a spray of gravel and a dust cloud in its wake.

She knew that car well. It was Scott's car.

Diana still couldn't think of a reason her ex-fiancé would have come to Middletown. Scott slammed his door and then rounded the car, planting himself in her path.

"Hey, babe." Scott leaned in to hug her and Diana sidestepped him. "I came to give you back your ring."

"Don't 'hey, babe' me. You could have saved yourself the trip, I don't want it back."

Not bad. She had never stood up to him before. If only she could keep the quiver out of her voice.

Scott blinked a couple of times in mock disbelief. Diana wondered what she ever saw in him. His blond hair was styled with copious amounts of gel, and his designer polo shirt probably was worth more than Steve's truck.

Scott stepped closer, into Diana's personal space. He placed his hands on her arms and rubbed his thumbs against her skin. "Don't be like that, babe. I've missed you."

"I didn't miss you. Leave me alone." Diana stepped out of his hold, yanked a ponytail holder off her arm, and piled her hair into a bun.

"Tsk, tsk," Scott grabbed her wrist. Hard. "What kind of girl tells her fiancé to leave her alone?"

"You're not my fiancé. Not anymore. You cheated on me and I dumped you," Diana struggled to pull away. "I want nothing to do with you."

"Listen." He jerked her so his mouth was right by her ear. "Everyone thinks you're a fool. They feel sorry for you, the girl who walked away from a good guy."

Diana snorted. "You're not a good guy. I can't believe how long it took me to see that."

His fingers dug into her skin. "I told everyone the wedding has been postponed while I allowed you to go find yourself. But soon enough, your time here will be over. Do you hear me? Did you really think I'd let you make me look bad?"

"That's up to you, but the wedding is off for good. We don't love each other."

Instead of getting the hint and letting go, he latched onto her other wrist and smiled down at her like the Cheshire cat. "Love has nothing to do with it. You have the right upbringing and family to be the perfect wife for my ambitions."

"Boy, you are clueless. I'll never be your wife. You are a liar and a cheater." Diana kicked his leg hard enough to finally get out of his hold and move away from him.

Steve came out of the house, saw the last scene, and frowned.

1...34567...9