Love Around the World 09: India

Story Info
She does end up marrying the man she truly loves.
16.5k words
4.66
8.4k
14

Part 9 of the 26 part series

Updated 01/30/2024
Created 11/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,313 Followers

A/N - With this story, I'm taking one minor aspect of Indian culture and tripling down on it. In addition to this aspect, I've added an Australian flavour regarding a topic I've covered in other stories. And it's the first story where the country won't feature all that much compared to all previous stories in this series.

Previous stories in this series:

Love Around the World - Andorra (Mature)

Love Around the World - Bangkok (Interracial)

Love Around the World - Colombia (Transgender)

Love Around the World - Dresden (Romance)

Love Around the World - Estonia (Group Sex)

Love Around the World - France (Anal)

Love Around the World - Guangzhou (Interracial)

Love Around the World - Hungary (Incest)

Australian / British standard English. There is a good chance of reading the following: lots of profanity, characters drinking, typos, and bad grammar at times.

Proofreading and editing suggestions provided by OhDave1. Any mistakes are still mine.

Comments are appreciated as always.

Feedback by email is always welcome. Enjoy chatting with anyone who likes my work.

*****

She does end up marrying the man she truly loves.

*****

Present day...

Standing near the back of the audience, I was still surprised I'd even been invited. I wasn't the only white Australian there. There were plenty of us mixed in with the rest as though there were elements of Hinduism, it was pretty much a non-secular sort of event, the sort of wedding seen throughout Australia nowadays. Plenty of people still married with all the trappings of religion, doing so 'in the eyes of God', but this wedding was more about a commitment between two people and the joining of two large families.

Of course, I knew the bride wasn't exactly enamoured by the whole process. I was waiting for her to appear as I knew she'd be searching for my face when walking by on the arm of her father.

"Have you spoken to her lately?" Mike asked from behind me.

"Nah. She's gone radio silent and for good reason. The only reason I was even invited is that I reckon if I wasn't, she wouldn't have turned up to make one final statement before she's practically forced down the aisle."

"Her father still doesn't like you?"

"He's never liked me because he's never thought I was good enough for his daughter, and that's ignoring the fact I'm a bogan white man in his eyes."

"You are a bogan... Sort of..."

"Yeah, being from the western suburbs, despite the fact he lives in the same area. Anyway, I know he couldn't beat the thought of his daughter being married to a mechanic. Not good enough for her father. Not good enough at all. There's a reason why she's pretty much been shunted in the direction of her future husband."

"How old is he again?"

"At least ten years older, I think. Don't know the guy. Met him once or twice. Seen how he looked at me. But I know she never wanted this, but her father was always going to get his way."

I fell silent as everyone around me stood up when the doors opened and Shanti appeared on the arm of her father. While he was looking proud as punch, the fact her face was almost stone should have told everyone what she thought about what was about to happen. As they slowly walked towards us, her eyes turned towards me, and I could see her struggling not to start crying. As soon as her father glanced away to look at someone else, I mouthed three simple words in her direction. She didn't dare return those words in front of everyone, including the groom waiting for her nearby, though I knew she was thinking of them.

I understood tradition. I understood culture. I understood why it was happening. Didn't mean I liked and accepted it. And I hated the fact that she was practically being forced into it at the same time.

*****

The past...

I'd met Shanti on our first day at high school. We hadn't attended the same primary school so when we found ourselves in the same group to make introductions, I couldn't help finding myself rather captivated by her. Long dark hair that was almost down to the middle of her back. A pair of gorgeous deep brown eyes. Her skin was fairer than I thought it would be. And though her heritage was rather obvious given her surname, there was no missing the fact she was born in Australia when she opened her mouth.

Not quite a bogan though it suggested a thoroughly Australian upbringing.

I'm not exactly sure how we struck up a friendship given I was your typical teenager of the time, obsessed with playing sport, cars and gaming. But we found ourselves in many of the same classes and I wasn't shy in striking up conversation with her. What I learned very quickly is that I enjoyed making her laugh. She had that sort of laugh that made you feel good about yourself.

By the time we were sixteen, it was obvious that I was her best friend as much as she was mine. I knew I had strong feelings for her and hers for me were also obvious. I finally plucked up the courage to ask her out. That's when she almost broke my heart.

"I'd date you in a heartbeat, Mark," she said, taking one of my hands in hers, "But I can't. I'm not allowed to date."

"You're not allowed to date?"

"I'm not allowed to date boys like you. Non-Indian. Anglo's. White boys."

"Really?" I asked. I had no idea that would have been a problem, "Why?" She sighed and I moved closer to her, meeting her eyes as I could see the sadness immediately. "Shanti... I know how you feel in return. It's not difficult to figure out, even for someone as oblivious as I most of the time."

"If my father learned I was dating you, Mark, he'd kill me. Not literally, but to say he'd be disappointed... He already asks a million and one questions whenever you come around to study."

"What does your mother think?"

"According to my father, her opinion isn't important." Then she smiled. "But my mother adores you. Again, it means nothing. What my father wants and expects is what matters. I am expected to get almost perfect marks every year. I will be expected to get into university. I will be expected to focus on a career that meets his approval. I will then be expected to... marry someone only he approves of."

"Well... That fucking sucks..."

That made her laugh before she started to cry. I held her to my chest as I was left feeling rather hopeless. I knew university wasn't on my horizon. I was going to remain at school until I'd completed my final exams, but I knew what I was going to do with my life. Shanti knew about the car in the garage at my house which I was busy working on. I did wonder if another reason why her father disapproved of me was the fact my parents were divorced. My father walked out on us years ago and I had little to do with the man any longer. My uncle, my mother's brother, was the one who was helping me restore the old car.

"I'm guessing there's nothing I can do to change his mind?"

"Turn Indian and study to become a doctor or lawyer?"

"Well, I definitely can't do the first thing, and I honestly don't think I'd have a chance at either of the latter." Stroking her back, she sighed as I asked, "So we'll just remain friends then?"

"I want more than that, Mark. I promise you, I want more than that too. I know how I feel about you as much as it's obvious how you feel about me."

We might not have been allowed to date, but that didn't stop us from spending as much time as possible together. She would come to my place to study, and I would go to her place. Her father worked full-time, and her mother was a housewife. She would always greet me with a smile before we'd disappear off to Shanti's bedroom. Had to keep the door open at all times, not that we'd be doing anything other than study. I knew Shanti worked incredibly hard to achieve the marks she was expected to get. The pressure on her was immense. And it wasn't just her. I knew her brothers had even more pressure on them.

Entering our last year at high school as eighteen-year-olds, I ended up being her main support as I knew how demanding her father was. More than once, I'd find her somewhere in the library in a quiet corner, leaning back against a wall, almost curled up in a ball, crying to herself. She'd sense me nearby and would practically crawl into my lap when I sat next to her.

Every afternoon was spent studying. I didn't have her brains. My role was simply to support her however I could. More often than not, she preferred to come to my place as it was more peaceful, my older sister was a university student and someone Shanti could ask questions if she was struggling with something.

It was a tough year for her. She wasn't allowed a part-time job, and was expected to devote any free time to studying and extracurricular activities. I did work, so whenever she was allowed out, usually her mother stepping in and ensuring she was given free time to actually enjoy her life, I'd take her out for a few hours, whether it was something simple like a burger, some ice cream, or occasionally we'd go watch a movie.

We went to see a movie every couple of weeks. I'd buy us a big bucket of popcorn to share and a drink each. And the cinema closest to where we lived had either individual seats or there were six two-seat lounges that we could use. I always picked the lounges as they gave Shanti the perfect excuse to curl up and cuddle into me.

Though I would prefer something more action-oriented each time, we always alternated on who got to choose what to watch. She loved romantic comedies, and it was the third time she'd chosen where there was a particularly romantic scene on the screen where she turned to me. She probably didn't know that I would occasionally watch her, but when her eyes met mine and she smiled, there was no hesitation when it came to sharing our first kiss.

"About time," she whispered, "Though we have to be careful, Mark."

"We're not dating. We're just friends."

"Friends who are definitely going to kiss from now on..." She leaned back slightly. "I know you've dated a bit and..."

"You know I would never... I mean..."

"Mark, I told you two years ago that I couldn't date you, so I wouldn't expect you to not date anyone else. I know you've dated girls at school, but you're always careful of my feelings."

"I wouldn't want to rub your nose in it... But if we're going to do something, I'm not sure what this will be, then I won't date anyone else."

Kissing her again, I think we both forgot about the movie entirely. I loved running my hands over her body. Her breasts were perky, and when I gently grabbed one of them for the first time, she softly moaned into my mouth and had to break the kiss. "No-one's ever touched me before..."

"Do you touch yourself?"

I'm sure she blushed in the darkness though didn't hesitate in nodding. "I do wonder what my father would think if he knew his little girl masturbated every single night in her bedroom," she whispered.

"What do you think about when doing it?"

"Well, I'm a virgin so have no idea what sex is actually like..." She paused and met my eyes. "I know you're not one any longer, Mark."

"You know..."

She put a finger to my lips. "Don't say another word about that. I know you were with Cassie. She couldn't help herself on the Monday after you lost it together." She paused and took a deep breath. "I was happy for you and her, but I was also insanely jealous that she got you first."

"I would have waited, Shanti."

"I'm not going to make you wait for something that might never happen, Mark. I have to be so careful." I could see in the darkness that her cheeks were glistening from the tears falling down them. "If I don't do everything that he expects of me, I know he'd either cut me off, disown me, or god knows what..."

"And being with me?"

"He tolerates you at best, Mark... He knows about you and thinks me hanging around with an Australian white boy is bad news."

"Despite the fact you were born here and so was your mother and father, and therefore you're Australian too?"

"Their marriage was arranged. Mum pays lip service to some of the traditions. I know for a fact that she would have happily married a white Australian man. Someone just like you. But you haven't met my maternal grandparents. They're conservative traditionalists to the extreme. They'd have disowned my mother in a heartbeat, and she knows divorce isn't an option as she'd just find herself ostracised from the community. I know it's them and my paternal grandparents in the ear of my father. Mum does what she can, but there are also expectations she must face."

"Does she actually love your father?" The snort answered that question. "Is it that bad?"

"If Mum could leave, I reckon she'd do it without looking back. I can't afford to be cut off."

Taking her hands in mine, I made sure I was meeting her eyes. "You could come stay with me."

That earned me one hell of a kiss, the sort that increased in passion as she ended up straddling my lap. Good thing that very few others were in the cinema watching the movie as she would have felt my erection when resting on my lap. Given she was wearing a skirt, if I hadn't been wearing jeans, I would have easily felt the warmth of her pussy.

"To fall asleep in your arms one night, Mark... I'd love it. But I just can't do it. If I were to walk away, it wouldn't just be me that would be affected by it." She sighed, resting her head on my shoulder as I hugged her tightly. "I'd feel safe with you, but my family, the whole extended family, they'd be relentless. There'd be endless threats..."

"Shanti..."

She kissed me again, her soft fingers caressing my cheek. "I know how much you care about me, Mark," she whispered, "It's as much as I care about you. Sometimes I find myself sitting at my desk in my bedroom and think 'What if?' or 'If only...' But I have to be realistic about my life."

At least we finally shared a first kiss. Shanti couldn't stop smiling as she held my hand tightly when leaving the cinema, driving her home as I always did. Pulling up outside her house, I made sure to hold her hand as I led her towards the front door, her mother opened it and smiled at me as she wasn't blind to the affection I had for her daughter.

"Good to see you as always, Mark," she said, smiling at her daughter next, "Have a nice afternoon out?"

"Mark always treats me well, Mum. You know that."

"Don't let your father see you holding hands. Even that would be too much for him." She then leaned closer and added, "And definitely don't let him notice the fact you've kissed his daughter."

"Crap," Shanti muttered, "Forgot about my lipstick."

"I'm not complaining," I stated with a smirk, making her mother laugh, "Though I guess I should probably beat feet before he comes looking. Is he home?"

"In his office like usual."

"Then I'll definitely get out of here before he hears me. No doubt he'll come and give me 'that' look."

Hugging Shanti tightly, I felt her body mould against mine as I kissed her cheek. "See you Monday morning?" she whispered.

"Pick you up like I do every day."

Letting her go, she moved past her mother who remained standing in the doorway. Glancing behind, she pulled the door shut as she stepped towards me. "Mark... I know my daughter is in love with you..."

"We've, um, never expressed those words to each other..."

"I know how she feels. She's been in love with you for a while now." She sighed as she rested a hand on my forearm. "It can't happen," she added softly, "I know how much you care for her too. It's obvious to me and her father, which is why he will do everything he can to keep you apart. I know he's already considering potential husbands for her. She'll attend university before she's married off."

"She told me your marriage..."

"I followed tradition like my mother, her mother, and all the way back..."

"And Shanti will follow your traditions too..."

"Comes with living in a multicultural society, Mark. Australians have their own viewpoints on marriage. Indians who move here bring parts of their culture. This is one of them. We're not the only people who have arranged marriages."

"Despite the fact it's possible she won't even like her husband?"

"That won't matter."

"Indi... Do you love your husband?"

She smiled at the use of her nickname. She was named Indira but had requested I call her Indi a long time ago. It was weird calling her by her first name, but she insisted I was Shanti's mother though also an ally and confidant when it came to our relationship. "I'll tell you all about it one day in the future, Mark. Do I love my husband? Yes, I've learned to love him over the years. Did I love him the day I married him?" She paused and glanced away, and I wondered if she'd be honest. Returning her eyes to mine, she smiled. "I'll be honest, no, I didn't. I barely knew him. We'd been introduced by our families, we 'dated' for barely a month before we were married."

"You know I'd marry Shanti if I could... I might only be eighteen, but if it was allowed..."

"And she'd love to be your wife. I know that much about my daughter." She paused and gave me a quick hug. "I'm sorry, Mark. I truly am."

We might not have been allowed to date, and anything we did together had to be meticulously planned, surprised we were allowed out without a chaperone, but we still managed to spend as much time together as possible. As we counted down the days to our final exams and then the end-of-school function, equivalent to prom in the United States, I had no idea if Shanti would even be allowed to go. I finally sat down with her one lunchtime as we studied in the library and asked if she was going.

The smile on her face was absolutely beautiful. "I was waiting for you to ask me as I've already bought my dress," she told me, "I've already told my father that I will not be denied a final chance to see many of my friends before I attend university and focus on starting my career."

"And what about being my date?"

"Mark, there isn't anyone else I'd be going with. It's either you or I would go alone."

"Then you'll be my date?"

Moving her chair closer, she glanced around and leaned closer to my ear. "Book a room in the hotel where it's being held. We'll go home the next day."

That had my head whipping around to meet her eyes as I felt mine widening in surprise. "You're serious?"

"I want you as my first," she whispered, "If there's one thing that I'm deciding for myself, it's who I give my virginity to. And I'm giving it to the man I love." She paused and kissed me. "I love you, Mark. I have for a long time."

Caressing her cheek earned a smile before I kissed her. "I love you too," I whispered back.

"That's why this is so difficult for me, and I know it's not easy for you."

"So what do we do?"

"Finish this year, spend as much time as possible together before you head off to work and I go to university. And then... We'll just have to see what the future brings."

I had a bad feeling that she was trying to tell me that she'd have to pull away. I knew it would be her father laying down the law. We'd have to cross that bridge eventually, but for the time being, I knew we'd spend every single possible minute together. Staying at each other's house wasn't feasible, but that didn't stop us from talking on the phone for hours each night.

Shanti was stressing out more and more the closer our final exams approached. She knew I was taking everything in my stride as I'd already organised a job that would be starting in the new year, and although I did want to obtain good marks, it wasn't going to affect my employment. Even though Shanti knew what was required to get into the university course, she was aware that her father was expecting a near-faultless performance. I sometimes wondered how she coped with the pressure.

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,313 Followers