Love: At What Cost

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Linda pulled Michelle back to the shore that afternoon. "I've got to see if she's there." She muttered. She knew she owed a certain bartender a big thank you. When they hit the beach, Michelle told Linda.

"I'm going to the shop; I'll meet you on the beach in an hour."

"Okay, same bar as yesterday.... I'll keep your seat warm." Linda said as she nipped the tall woman's chin playfully.

"Sugar, if my seat gets any warmer, I'm not going to be able to sit."

"Okay, then I'll bring the ice..." She kissed the stunned woman, leaving no doubt about her feelings, and skipped off in the direction of the beach bar.

"Damn, that woman is going to be the death of me." She muttered as she headed to find the surprise she planned for Linda.

An hour later, Michelle, consumed by jealousy, wanted to explode. She saw the little bartender holding Linda's hand and watched as Linda kissed her hard. She was about ready to cause a scene, when their words floated through the fog in her brain.

"I'm so happy for you. I knew there was heat between you guys yesterday." The perky blond bartender said.

"Oh, god, I never knew I could fall in love so fast. I've liked her since we met, but, Wow; the love hammer hit me hard. I wanted to thank you for the complement and the nerve to take action. She is so sexy; I'd never thought I had a chance."

"Well the offer is still open." She said as she saw Michelle coming. "If you share that is."

"No sweetheart, I'm a one woman girl. I don't know if she or my family is ready for this, but I'm toast. I want only her. Thanks anyway."

Michelle felt like she was hit by a bolt of lightning. She couldn't move. Did she hear right... a one woman girl? Love... only her...?

"Damn, I wish I had her luck." The perky blond said. "I hope you two get your happily ever after." She smiled at both women as she saw the shock on the tall gorgeous woman who looked like her feet were glued to the sand. Linda felt Michelle behind her and spun to meet her. She ran up and kissed her breathless.

"Hi babe, I was thanking Cindy for her help yesterday. She made me realize if I didn't do something, I might miss out on the best thing to come my way in twenty years."

"Hi Sugar, um... hi Cindy." Michelle was stunned by the words and the emotion behind them. Cindy motioned the tall woman over.

"Here you dropped this yesterday." She said giving back the twenty dollar tip. Seeing the look, she told Michelle "I want all the good Karma I can get. One day I want a woman to love me like you girlfriend loves you. My offer or tease won't get in the way, I promise."

Michelle looked at the money and pulled out her billfold. She didn't even look, she pulled whatever cash was in there and shoved it with the twenty back into the bartenders hands.

"Sweetie, you've earned this. Come on Sugar, I've got a surprise for you." She said, dropping the cash into the bartender's hand. As soon as her hands were free, she grabbed onto Linda's hand as they ran into the surf laughing.

***

It was the last day of the cruise and they were packing their clothes in their now shared suite. Linda donated her room to a set of newlyweds and moved into Michelle's. They were inseparable the rest of the trip. They acted like the tourists, lovers and friends they'd become.

"God, the airline is going to kill me with charges for the extra luggage." Linda complained as she tried to stuff one more thing in. Maybe I should've mailed the gifts?" She played with the floating heart necklace Michelle had given her.

"Sugar, forget that a moment. We need to talk." Michelle steeled herself for what she knew had to be said.

"What's wrong Babe?" Linda asked getting to know her lover's moods.

"I have to ask you to do something for me and it's the hardest thing I've ever done." Michelle tugged her blouse down.

"What...?" Linda asked concerned.

"I have to ask you to do me a big favor."

"Anything, you should know that by now."

"God, I hope so... I need you to... damn, I don't believe this...." She said with tears in her eyes. "When we get off the plane in Lexington, I need you to just go home. I have to get back to work and we need to know if this was more than a fling." Michelle said as softly as she could and hated herself for saying it. "I'm sorry Sugar, I've been hurt before and I can't... Please if you really care for me, you'll do this."

"Will you at least tell me where you live, or even your last name?" Linda pleaded, not wanting to lose what she had finally found.

"No, it can't be easy... I have so much to do and I'll be at work and then Daddy and I... I'm so sorry, but I have to figure this out myself." She tried to rationalize her tumbling emotions.

"I love you... There I said it... I'll wait because I love you, but not for too long. If you don't come for me, I'll come for you." Linda said crying.

"I know you feel that way now... but I've seen these things... I have to be sure." The tall woman said as she hugged the crying smaller woman. The rest of the trip was in almost silence. Linda held Michelle's hand, not wanting to let go.

At the airport, Michelle tried to turn and walk away, but Linda wasn't having it. So, in the heart of her hometown airport, she pulled Michelle back and kissed her with all the love she had in her heart.

"Remember that, while you are thinking things over... I Love You!" She said as she picked up her bags and left Michelle standing there stunned.

***

Linda got more excited about seeing her kids the closer she got to her home. She wanted to talk to her daughter and see what new things her son had done with his computer. She even wanted to thank her meddling mother. As soon as she swung her front door open she called out.

"Where is everybody...? I'm home!"

"Mom... Mom! You're back!" An excited Kim called from the kitchen.

"Hey baby girl, how's everything?" Linda enveloped her daughter in a big hug.

"Hey, what about me...?" Tony yelled, as he ran in to meet his mom.

"Oh, I missed you guys so much... Come here my big man. I love you so much... Just wait, I've got some things for you.... Where's Gram?" She asked as she hauled in one of her overstuffed bags.

Her kids were stunned by their mother. She looked... Happy! When she wasn't talking to one, she was stroking the other like she hadn't seen them in years.

"Wow, mom...! So, did you have fun? Did you meet anyone interesting?" Tony asked.

"What's with the new clothes? Can I borrow this?" Kim asked when she found the string suit Michelle had bought her.

"Maybe, if you're lucky.... Yes, I met a friend... she's from around here. She makes dresses. Maybe I can ask her to make one for you."

"Wow, cool, what else did you do?" Kim asked, loving the change in her mother.

"So when do we meet this girlfriend?" Tony asked innocently.

Linda seized, and got lost in thought, as she tried to process the question. "Um, I don't know. She said she had to get back to work." Linda drifted again, thinking of Michelle, her lover, who was afraid.

"Wow, it must have some trip. Don't go all lost in space on us.... Tell us everything. Were the beaches covered in babes?"

"Like she's going to be looking at girls, doofus... So did you meet any men?" Kim asked and argued with her brother at the same time.

"None worth mentioning, there was this really cute bartender on this one beach though. Her name was Cindy. She was friendly." She answered both of them at the same time, not willing to tell them just how much her life had changed.

***

A week later, Michelle was still moping around her father's house. Her work sucked and the new designs were going nowhere. More often than not, she would be caught looking off in space dreaming about Linda and the love they made.

"So, what is her name and where can I find her?" He father boomed behind her.

"Linda, why...?" Michelle jumped at her dad's voice

"Linda what...? I'll settle her for hurting my little girl..." He threatened.

"No daddy, she didn't do it, I did it to myself this time." Michelle sighed at her mistake.

"What this nonsense about? Tell me all, before you drive your business into bankruptcy!" He ordered, expecting instant compliance.

"She was so new to it and I choked. I didn't want to pressure her and... Well you know what happened last time."

"Is she married? Did she lie to you? Did she lead you on and then run back to her husband at the first sign of trouble?" He demanded.

"No, I don't think she can lie... Her husband was killed in an accident years ago...." She drifted off.

"Then there's nothing the same as last time. So what's really wrong?" He asked, cutting to the quick.

"I think I just let the best thing I'll ever get, slip through my fingers. I didn't even tell her my last name." Michelle sobbed.

"Then, the fool you...! I taught you better than that. Did she say she loved you?"

"Yes, she left me standing there with that ringing in my ears as she did what I asked her to do and walked away."

"Well, then it's not so bad... If she does, she will find you, or you will find her. I pity you if she has to come and get you. If she's that strong, she'll bring you to your knees. Be good for you." Her gregarious father warned her.

"Thanks dad... I knew I could trust you to cheer me up." She sniffed.

"Good, then pull your head out of your ass, and get back to work." He ruffled her hair and left her alone to muddle through in her own way.

The next morning, one of her wealthiest clients came in to check on a formal dress. "Hello Mrs. Stevenson, how are you today?" She said brightly, wondering if the woman was going retro, or just that long out of style.

"Oh, fine... I'm here to see what you can do for my granddaughter. She has her senior formal coming up and I want the best. She's going to Vassar next year you know."

"Well you came to the right place. What's her measurements... do you know?" Michelle asked innocently. She stood there helplessly, as she realized that other than the bra size, she was a perfect match for her Linda, whose measurements she had memorized.

"So, how was the vacation? Did you meet anyone interesting?"

"What... Oh...? Um yeah, I did. But I've got my shop and it keeps me so busy..." Michelle answered automatically.

"No replacement to a lovers arms, if you ask me. My Harold and I...." Mrs. Stevenson went off on one of her famous stories of her husband.

Michelle listened to the well intentioned old lady as she prattled about her late husband and love of her life. She didn't want to shatter the woman's view of the world, by telling her preferences. Sheryl, her new hire, took over the shop as they looked at all the patterns available.

***

"Linda... Are you listening?" The man said trying to get her attention. It had been a month. He couldn't understand why she was still ignoring him like this.

"What... Oh, Peter. What was that?" She said as she played with her heart on the chain, thinking about Michelle.

"The next conference... it's in Atlanta. They want the top selling and listing agents. I was hoping we can put the unpleasantness behind us and try again. We make a good team...."

"Oh, um, well I'll go if I have to... but not with you. That's over. That was a mistake... Sorry but its work only, or I'll transfer to another office. I don't think Bill will like that." Linda said repulsed by the thought of him touching her in anyway. Even his handshake made her skin creep. God, she missed her Michelle.

"I'm sorry Peter," She said, "I have an appointment this afternoon." dismissing him. She knew what she had to do. There weren't that many high-end dress shops in town. She wasn't waiting anymore. She got up and almost walked into the open mouthed Peter. "Is there something else?" Linda asked before she stepped around the stunned man. Two hours later, her search was over as she recognized the tall figure in the window.

Michelle was rushed to the get dress done. She had it hanging on its form, where she could work on it and keep an eye on the front of her store. She just needed to get the hem right. She cursed under her breath at the chime, telling her she had a customer. Her throat closed when she looked up and saw who it was.

Linda just drank in the beauty of her lover for a second, before she turned and locked the door. Turning back, she took off her work jacket and in a low throaty voice, which only carried to Michelle's ears, asked.

"What do I have to do to prove to you that I love you? Do I have to beg?" She unbuttoned the sleeve of her blouse as she took a step forward. "Do I have to make love to you in the middle of your own store? That sounds like a good idea... I missed you so much...!" She unbuttoned the top of her blouse. "I won't walk away this time unless you don't love me."

"Sheryl..." Michelle cleared her throat and tried again. "Sheryl... go take a break.... I need thirty minutes... an hour... at least!" She continued at the arch look from the woman stalking her across her own shop.

"But we have the Wilson dress to finish...." The young woman came out of the back and saw the intense scene. "Oh... Oh! I'll just lock the back door.... Just call when you need... Never-mind...." The girl exited as fast as she could.

Linda never paused as she slipped off her blouse and opened the front of her slacks. "If you don't love me, you better say it now... before everyone on the street gets a show they'll never forget." Linda was only two steps away when Michelle reached behind the counter and pushed the button that automatically closed the blinds.

"I... how did you...?"Michelle tried to ask.

"Do you love me...?" Linda asked with smoke in her eyes.

"Oh, God yes... I..." Michelle got out, before she went under. There wasn't the tearing of the clothes, but Linda softly exposed every inch of her lover's skin, not letting Michelle move or touch her while she did it. When they were both naked, standing in the middle of Michelle's shop, Linda finally pulled the tall woman to her.

"We fit... see we fit, don't you ever...!" She gasped close to tears.

"Oh Sugar, I'm so sorry! I'm such a fool... I love you so much...!" Was all the words said for over an hour as lovers entwined their hearts and bodies together.

Michelle knew her father was right. She would crawl over razors for the sweet woman who held her heart. She stroked Linda's hair as the woman cried on her breasts. She soothed and was soothed until she couldn't hold back any more.

"I love you Sugar.... Whatever happened to that innocent woman I met at the airport?" She pushed the hair out of Linda's eyes so she could see the face that had haunted her dreams.

"She fell in love with the woman who held her hand because she was afraid of flying." Linda said softly as she stroked her lovers face before leaning in and starting again.

Michelle called her assistant as she told the dressing Linda. "You'll need to meet Sheryl. Something tells me that she needs to get use to seeing you around here."

"If we didn't frighten her off..." Linda said as she looked for her socks.

"I hope not, she has great potential and besides she knew I was gay when she applied." Michelle pulled a sock out of her sleeve and handed it to Linda. "We might think about putting a bed in the back, if you plan on seducing me at work on a regular basis. So, do I get to take you in your office next?"

"Oh, I bet my boss, Bill, would just love that. I don't have an office Babe, just a desk shoved in the corner. You can take me to lunch tomorrow and see it." Linda said pulling on her shoes.

"Is the coast clear?" A voice came tentatively from the back of the store.

"Yeah Sheryl, we're in control and decent again." Michelle called as the young lady peeked into the front of the store, as Michelle opened the blinds.

"Nothing burned? No smoke alarms, you put the fire out?" She teased as she looked at the two women she knew her livelihood now depended on.

"Smartass... come here; I want you to meet Linda. I expect you'll be seeing more of her...."

"Oh, I saw enough...." She smiled as she reached for Linda's hand.

"Sorry, I had to convince someone, with a hard head, that she loves me. I don't plan on making it a habit. Well, not in the store anyway." Linda smiled at the young woman.

"Oh, she loves you... trust me. She's been moping around here since she got back from her vacation. I'm going to like you... I can tell." The perky girl said with a big smile.

"That's enough Sheryl! I didn't tell that boy, who came in yesterday, that you're hung up on him... did I?" Michelle asked with a sexy arched eyebrow as her employee ducked her head.

"She's such a great boss. Now that you're here to make her happy again; maybe we can get caught up. We got this really old picky client coming in. I just know she's going to drive us crazy. Her granddaughter is having some senior formal... I never went to mine..." She chattered as Linda tried to keep up.

"Does she always talk that fast?" Linda asked Michelle, who was bending down over a hemline.

"Oh, wait until she gets to know you better.... Sheryl... The basting on the under-dress..." She redirected her employee.

"Oh yeah, It was nice meeting you Linda... How many lines do you want stitched?" She asked, head tilted trying to remember.

"Three... slip stitched...." She looked at Linda. "She's really a good kid. If I can get her to focus, she'll make a great seamstress one day." Michelle looked a Linda and wanted to toss in the towel. "I have to get this seam in..." She pleaded before she could let her lust overcome her judgment.

"Don't mind me... I'll just go over here and watch." She said, as she sat on the stool behind the counter. Linda kept her word and other than the occasional contented sigh, Michelle wouldn't have known she was there, other than the giddiness running rampant through her system as she quickly finished the dress.

"Do you have to go?" Michelle asked as they walked out to Linda's car.

"Yes, I have to get dinner for my kids." She held her lovers hand, not wanting to let go.

"Do they know?" Michelle hated the clothes that separated her from Linda.

"No, I wasn't going to tell them without you there. Remember you wanted space..." She snuggled listening to the heart pound under her ear.

"Don't remind me Sugar. I want you to meet my Father. He's going out of town in a few days..."

"Maybe tomorrow, if I can get everything done... We could have dinner... The kids could fend for themselves if they know beforehand." She looked up, knowing she had to get going before she made a scene right in the street.

"Tanner... I live with my father, and this is my shop... If you want the address, here's one of my cards... don't lose it." Michelle said fast, making sure Linda knew how to find her again.

"What?" Linda looked perplexed.

"Oh Sugar, I'm just fixing my biggest mistake. My name is Michelle Tanner; I live with my dad in his drafty old mansion to save money. My card has my work and cell numbers... Please don't lose them... I came too close and I...."

"Oh Babe, don't worry... I found you once, I'd find you again." Linda smiled.

"Tomorrow, lunch, I'll see you then?" Michelle wanted it nailed down. She wasn't about to let Linda get away now.

"Yes, we can start figuring it all out then. I have to go, even though I don't want too... I love you; and can't wait until we can be together again." Linda said as she kissed her lover.

"I love you too... Wow, I never thought I'd be saying that to you, when I left the house this morning." Michelle tried to tease and hold back the tears.

***

The next evening, Linda met Michelle's father, He was a big man, at the upper end of middle age, heading into his golden years. He must've been a drill sergeant in a former life, and had the booming voice that went with it.

123456...8