Love: At What Cost

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers

"How the hell are you?" He asked as soon as they were introduced. It took him less than a second to realize this was the woman who held his daughters' heart

"Did you bring her to her knees? Good...good, good! She needs someone who won't put up with her bullshit." He was saying within seconds of meeting the startled Linda.

"Thanks dad... How did you know she's the girl...?"

"The look on your faces... Your mother looked at me the same way. Damn Cancer...." He said as he got misty.

After the first few minutes with Michelle's father, Linda felt at home. He gave her the grand tour and bluntly interrogated her until her was satisfied that she was the right woman to make his daughter happy. When they were done, Michelle showed Linda her portion of the house.

"Here is my work space, it's a mess, but I know where everything is." Michelle showed her lover the design studio. "We'll have to make room for my stuff, or I can rearrange my shop..."

"No, we'll figure something out... If you have your studio at the shop, I'll never see you...." They talked about how they were going to mesh their lives together, until Roger called them for diner.

They had a good diner as Roger smiled at the emotional interplay between the lovers. "So what line are you in Linda?" He asked so he wasn't totally excluded.

"Oh, um, real estate... I'm a listing agent for Bill Danvers at Homebrooke."

"You don't sell? Why not? You could make more money that way."

"I know, but I'm happy in my little nitch. I've been a top listing agent last few years, and selling makes me feel pushy. I don't have the temperament for it." Linda replied honestly.

"Well, I hope they know what they've got... I have a feeling I could use someone like you in one of my businesses."

"Dad... No poaching." Michelle warned. "She's doing fine and you know it's not a good idea to mix business and friends." Michelle knew if her father had his way, he'd groom either her or Linda to take over when he retired, if he ever did.

After dinner, they went into the library as Roger had his after dinner brandy and Linda had her one permissible glass of wine. She cuddled with Michelle, as she listened to Roger try and convince her to join his firm.

She drove home more serene than she's felt in a while. She wondered how to deal with her children. She slept well that night, even if she couldn't wait for the day they didn't have to sleep alone again.

***

Linda's life had become idyllic. She had found love and it colored every part of her life. Her daughter Kim, looked forward to her graduation and then on to college the next year. Kim boasted constantly that she had been accepted into her grandmother's sorority.

Tony, on the other hand, had started to become a bit more sullen. Linda took it all in stride with a new found grace and humor that she hadn't known she'd lost since Tim's death. She didn't even become a basket case when she made her monthly visit to his grave. She knew he was happy that she'd found love again.

She worried about how her family was going to take Michelle. They'd decided to make the announcement that weekend. They both wanted to live as a couple, and knew that had to get over this hurdle. Michelle feared rejection, and Linda hoped it didn't cause any fights. Linda knew sooner or later, her family had to accept it. She wasn't giving up Michelle, unless she didn't love her.

"Sugar, are you sure?" the nervous Michelle asked for the tenth time on the trip to Linda's home.

"It will work out... I promise... It has too." Linda said with conviction.

"I hope you're right. At forty, you'd think I wouldn't be so nervous about meeting the family."

"You're forty? I'd thought... really?" Linda asked surprised.

"Yeah... Good bones my father says."

"Yeah, I thought maybe thirty... Nothing older that thirty five... You're so sexy!"

"I keep telling you that you're no slouch either. Remember Cindy? She had to be all of twenty five and she was ready to tumble for you. You're one foxy momma."

"I'm your foxy momma. Well..."

"Don't tease me, I'm already on edge." Michelle said, as her heart thudded at the declaration.

"Here we are!" Exclaimed Linda as she pulled into the curved drive.

"Are you sure you love me Sugar?" The nervous Michelle asked again.

"More every day...!" Linda said opening her door. "The kids should be home... Are you ready for this?"

"Oh shit, what did I get myself into...? Yeah, as I'll ever be." She took her lover's hand and entered Linda's house.

Linda put her purse down and took a quick look around. "Hello... I'm home... anyone here?" She called. Michelle wiped her hands down her slacks.

"Hi mom," Kim called down the stairs. "Kristy is having boy issues again... oh, Hi!" She said as she thumped down the stairs and saw Michelle standing there.

"Kim, this is Michelle, my girlfriend." Linda said in a rush.

"Oh... hi Michelle... Anyway mom, I'm going to be in my room.... Can you tell Tony my laptop crashed again when he comes home? I'm trying to get to Kristy's page and it keeps going blue screen on me. The dork can fix it. Nice meeting you Michelle... I'll be in my room... Bye!" The boisterous eighteen year old said as she grabbed some fruit and a soda and headed back upstairs.

"Well, that went better than I expected... I see where she gets her looks from." Michelle said with a sigh of relief. "I bet boys are a problem."

"Not really, she is college orientated. I doubt she heard a word I said.... We'll find out at dinner. Come in, make yourself at home... If I have my way, this will be your home soon." Linda said as she pulled Michelle into the kitchen.

"Sugar, you're sure? I mean we could stay with my father.... He has the room."

"I'm sure Tony would love that.... But no, I think I need to keep things stable until they are both in college and making their own lives. Then if we want, we can look at getting a new place together." Linda said getting out a fresh bottle of wine and two glasses.

"I don't know Sweetheart; I dream of being able to wake up in your arm again, but if it's going to cause problems...." Michelle took her glass and twirled it, looking into the dark red fluid.

"Babe, I love you..." Linda said as she put her glass on the counter. "They will get used to the idea..." She put Michelle's glass next to hers, and pulled her into an embrace. "You're my lover and hopefully soon my partner. I'm not hiding that from anyone...."

Linda reached up and kissed Michelle softly. "I love you so much!" She said between kisses. Michelle melted into her lover's arms and let the worry flow out of her. Never before had she felt such a pure unrestrained love.

Tony wasn't looking as he came into the kitchen. His mind was on other problems. He took notice of his mother standing there, but it took a second to recognize that she was with someone else... and they were kissing... And she was a woman.... A really good looking woman!

"Hi mom, I was wondering if you... Oh! Um, hi... um sorry...." Tony froze up right there, not two feet from the kissing couple as they disengaged.

Linda held Michelle's hand as she cleared her throat and made the introductions. "Hey Tony, I want you to meet my girlfriend Michelle. We met on the cruise..."

"Um, ahhh, ummm, hi Michelle...." Tony tried to engage his brain and mouth at the same time.

"Hi Tony, Um, not really the way I thought we'd be meeting." Michelle said as she reached to shake the startled boy's hand.

"So like, you're girlfriends, girlfriends?" He asked, trying to put all the pieces together. "Wow..., cool!" He tried to clear his head at his mom's nod yes. "I'm heading up to my room." He said as he stumbled into the wall. "Wow, my mom has gone over to the dark side... What a trip." He said as shook his head and stumbled up the stairs.

"He took that well...." Michelle grabbed her wine and took a big gulp.

"Wait for the explosion...." Linda said in warning. "He's informing the news agency now..."

"You saw WHAT!?" They heard Kim scream.

"See I told you... Tony's still processing the information... Kim is the one who'll react." Linda told her lover.

"NO WAY...!" The next sound they heard. "That's gross!" Kim was in full voice.

"Remember, I love you." Linda said, holding Michelle's hand as they waited for Kim to confront them. They didn't have to wait long.

Kim pounding down the stairs, screaming, "Mom, Tony is telling lies again. He said..." Kim saw the women holding hands. "No way... Why didn't you tell me? What's going on here?" Kim yelled purple faced

"What in the blue blazes is all this yelling about?" Came Linda's mother's voice from the front door.

"Oh great...." Linda muttered as her mother came into the kitchen.

"Kimberly Meghan, you know better than to act like that...! Michelle Tanner...?" Mrs. Stevenson queried.

"Mrs. Stevenson!" Michelle said simultaneously with Linda's "Mom, what are you doing here?"

"Tony caught them kissing Grammy! Can you believe that?" Kim screeched.

"Child, lower your voice... I'm right here." Linda's mother looked at the two women holding hands.

"But Grammy, kissing? What are my friends going to think?" Kim yelled, not to be ignored.

"Kimberly Meghan Burris, your room now!" The older woman said in a low voice that brooked no hesitation.

"Fine...!" Kim pounded out of the room, slamming every door she could between them and her room.

"She's sure in high-dungeon. So, what did you do to set her off this time daughter... and what are you doing here Ms. Tanner? Is Kimmy's dress ready?" The old battle ax asked trying to get to the bottom of things.

"Mom, you know Michelle?" Linda asked bewildered.

"Of course I do... She's the best designer and seamstress this side of the Mississippi. Of course I'm going to go to her for Kimmy's dress. She's worth it too, so I don't want to hear about the extra thousand dollars."

"You charge that much?"

"You heard her, I'm worth it... You didn't think... She's your mom?"

"Yeah..."

"Ms. Tanner!" Mrs. Stevenson called them to order

"Yes Ma'am?" Michelle snapped.

"Well, I see you father instilled some manners."

"You know my father?" Michelle needed another gulp of wine.

"Mom, I... Um, I was trying... We're..."

"Well spit it out girl" Linda's mom scolded.

"Michelle is my girlfriend... We met on the cruise and..." Linda tried.

Mrs. Stevenson took a good look at the women again and everything clicked into place. "I see... What you mean is that you two are now lovers?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Yes" they answered together.

"Then why in tarnation didn't you say that? I taught you better... Always say what you mean!" She pinned her daughter with a stare. "And you Missy..." She turned her gaze on Michelle, "I know Roger raised you better! What do you have to say for yourself?"

Michelle cleared her throat and stood straight. "I'm in love with you daughter and she won't let me forget it." For the first time, Linda saw her lover flustered.

"Well! This is a conversation that calls for some tea." She ordered her daughter. "Formal set, in the living room. I think a little chat is in order." Mrs. Stevenson went into the living room and waited for the younger women to join her.

"When she said chat, she meant a civilized conversation... right?" Michelle asked as Linda got out the china tea pot and tray.

"No, she means, I serve, she asks and you answer. Can you see if I have any fresh cucumber in the fridge?" Linda said as she looked for the Earl Grey tea and filled the sugar tumbler as the pot tempered and the water boiled.

"You're kidding... Aren't you?" The tall woman looked flabbergasted.

"Did it look like she was kidding? Trust me Babe, its easer this way. Even I don't go against her when she gets that tone." Linda cut the crust off, buttered and mayonnaise some bred for the finger sandwiches.

"Why didn't you tell me she was your mother?"

"How was I to know...?" They bustled around the kitchen trying to get things ready.

"Ladies...!" Mrs. Stevenson commanded from her perch in the other room.

Linda escorted Michelle to the wing backed chair opposite where her mother sat. She came back a minute later with the tea tray and served.

"Now, this is better. There is nothing like a nice relaxing tea, to help settle thorny issues. Oh, sit down and quit hovering, Linda Marie. I'm not going to crucify her, nor tell the McCarthy commission." She waited until her daughter took her seat before continuing.

"So, you're the one who's put the sparkle back in my daughter's eye. How is your father doing anyway?" She asked Michelle, taking a sip of tea.

"Um, fine... He's in Atlanta right now...."

"Yes, I hear he's tossed out that tart he married. Did he catch her or was the rumors enough this time? At least he has the good sense to include a pre-nuptial agreement. I cannot abide gold diggers." She said exasperated.

"I caught her with the lawn.... How do you know my father...?"

"Oh dear, Roger and Harold were in business together. Didn't you know that? I knew your mother too. I was the matron of your christening party. I gave you this darling platinum locket..."

"I still have it! It has a lock of hair from my first cut and mom's picture." Michelle paled at the thought

"So, mom, you're okay with us...?" Linda squirmed in her seat.

"It doesn't matter really.... But yes, I am mature enough to deal with this." She flicked her fingers in a dismissive gesture. "I just wish you trusted me enough to bring it to me before I walked into chaos. It could have been handled better." She sighed and told the two shocked women.

"While I was in college, I experimented with some of my sorority sisters. It was the cusp of the sexual revolution you know. Then I met my Harold and that was that. I was Ms. Vassar 1965 and Harold was Valedictorian."

"You never told me... Not in any of your stories." Linda gasped.

"Well, it is a bit private, dear. You never told me the first time you had carnal knowledge with that boy the summer before you found Tim. I knew it happened, but I let you have your privacy."

"I was nineteen... How did you know?" Linda wasn't prepared for what she was hearing.

"Oh, you moaned and cried for weeks when he ran off with that Taylor tramp. If it wasn't for Harold, I might still be with Barbette. Once that line is crossed for us, it is all or nothing. It is the way we are built."

"My Mom...?" Michelle gasped.

"She wasn't then dear, and we found our men and were the best of friends. We never crossed that line again after... well anyway, I thought you should know." She finished before sipping her tea.

"What about Kim? She isn't taking this too well." Linda asked worried about her daughter's reaction.

"Well, that would depend on your plans. If I had known what was going on, I might have been able to help!" Her mother said.

"I thought I would bring Michelle over for the weekend and break it to the kids slowly, as they got used to her. I didn't expect Tony to walk in like that." Linda said defensively

"You had it right the first time... You didn't think... Well not with your head anyway. I take it you two have shared a bed, and plan to continue that practice?"

"I told you I shared a room... I gave mine to those newlyweds... I stayed with Michelle... and yes, we were already lovers by then." Linda stiffened her spine.

"I thought there was something missing from that story. Well, then..."

"Hey mom... Oh, Hi Gram... Michelle... I need a new network card for Kim's laptop.... She fried the one she has." He stammered, feeling the tension in the room.

"Anthony Mitchell Burris... Come give me a kiss and quit interrupting." The old lady ordered. Once he complied, she told him. "Your mother or Ms. Tanner can take you in a few minutes." She dismissed the young man.

"Okay... cool. Let me know. I'll be in my room." He tripped over the step out of the room, looking at Michelle.

"He seems to be taking it well... I think I'll take Kimmy this weekend. We'll grab one of her friends and head to the spa. Give her time, she'll work it out." Linda's mom declared.

"Are you sure?" Linda asked worried about her daughter's violent reaction.

"Yes, I think you need to handle this one child at a time. Tony seems to have a handle on things, so start there. You also might want to think about how 'out' you are. Not everyone will understand and fewer will accept. Don't forget there are people out there who think they have the right to tell you how you're supposed to live." She cautioned the women.

"I'm not hiding it. It's the new millennium mom. They can get a grip. I love her and she loves me. We're doing nothing wrong!" Linda said, not caring what other people thought. She had waited too long to find love again and refused to live her life for the approval of anyone else.

"Don't let your stubborn pride get in the way...." He mother warned. "I do know where you get it from: I'm just saying use your head before you cause anymore scenes like I walked in on." She added with a meaningful look and called her granddaughter. "Kimmy, we're going to the Spa... Be ready in five minutes or be left behind." She put her half full tea cup down on the saucer, and picked up her purse.

Kim had her stuff ready in less than three. She jumped down the stairs, gave Michelle an evil look and ignored her mother. "I'll wait in the car Grammy!" She spat out, as she shook the house by slamming the front door.

"Good luck..." Michelle said as Linda came behind her and gave her a hug in reassurance. "I sure hope your mom can put a dent in that attitude Sugar."

"If anyone can, she will. Are you ready for our first shopping trip?"

"In for a penny..." Michelle sighed.

"Tony, if you want to get there before it closes..." Linda called up stairs.

"Cool!" Tony walked out of the kitchen. "Who's taking me? Can I drive?" He asked, not caring that his mother was still hugging Michelle... He was just happy that his mom was happy again.

"Where we going...?" Michelle asked breaking free and grabbing her purse.

"Staples should have what I need... If not, then Best-Buy." Tony answered automatically. He headed out to his mom car, and waited by the drivers' door.

"So, is he a good driver, or are we taking out lives into..." Michelle asked, as they walked out to the car.

"He's fine... a lot better than Kim when she first started." Linda said as she took out her keys. "You want shotgun?" She handed the keys to her son.

"Nope, I seem to be a distraction." Michelle said not sure if this was such a good idea. She watched the excited teen as he carefully backed out the drive. The trip to the store was uneventful. They walked around the store as Tony started talking to one of the clerks.

Michelle tried to be interested, but she was into dress design, not computers or office supplies. She had a service that did that for her. Linda tried to show her some organizers, but after ten minutes, they both were bored. This just wasn't their kind of store.

"You think he's ready?" Michelle asked after agreeing the gel pens were nice.

"We can hope." Linda said walking toward her entranced son. "I know how to get his attention."

"Please do then Sugar... I'm getting hungry and tired. It's been a day. Do you understand anything they are saying?" Michelle asked as they approached.

"Babe, all I hear is... computer, computer, computer, guy grunt... Yeah...." Linda shrugged and then called out to her son. "Tony, did you find what you need? If we hurry, we might be able stop for pizza on the way home." Yep, that got his attention.

"Oh, sorry dude... My mom and her girlfriend need food. I'll let you know how this works with the new buffering protocol." Tony took his box to the front and waited as his mom paid for it.

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers
1...345678