Love, Life, and Death at The Grange

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Seeing it was already nine o'clock, the two glanced at each other, knowing it was more important they meet Debbie before this mysterious visitor at ten.

Marie replied, "Sorry, we've got a meeting with Debbie. That can't wait."

Penny rolled her eyes as she unceremoniously dropped the box and returned outside for the next. Marie and Tracy headed to Debbie's office, finding the door open.

"Ladies, come in and close the door behind you."

Debbie, in her usual business suit and a white blouse, sat at her desk, which was remarkably tidier than Tracy had experienced before. Marie and Tracy, feeling a little underdressed in jeans and T-shirts, headed for the chairs opposite Debbie and settled nervously down.

"I'm sure you have a few questions, but all will become apparent once I explain."

Whilst Marie seemed timidly nervous, Tracy was ready to fire on all cylinders, eager to clear the air. As she settled into her chair, her mind spun back to the scene in the adjacent room that Molly had shown her, with the declaration that they could put the Grange up for sale.

"First, some background. Over the last five years, the Grange has struggled to meet modern expectations and we've had a gradual reduction of students, but also our costs have risen with the increasing deterioration of our elderly buildings."

"And yet you're investing in serious renovations over the summer?" Tracy countered.

Debbie shuffled uncomfortably in her seat, clearing her throat, and was about to speak as Tracy dropped her bombshell.

"Is this all window dressing, then? To impress prospective new owners when the Grange goes up for sale?"

Debbie's eyes grew the size of dinner plates in surprise. Marie gasped as she glared at Tracy, angry at not being included in this vital piece of information.

"Yeah, I bet you didn't think anyone knew that?" Tracy doubled down on her dominant position in the exchange.

"Who, who told you that?"

"No one, you know, but I suppose we're here for you to lay me off and give Marie her notice?"

Debbie shook her head and raised her hands, palms up, to Tracy.

"Whoa, Tracy, no one is getting laid off. Far from it."

"What are you talking about, Tracy?" Marie interjected, glaring at Tracy with fear in her eyes. "What on earth gave you that idea?"

Tracy looked at the shaken Marie.

"I'll explain later."

Debbie raised her voice to cut Tracy off.

"Before we jump to any conclusions, let me explain and I'll be transparent about everything."

She coughed nervously and took a sip of water from a glass next to her.

"Yes, there was a board meeting earlier this year, when we met with the banks, and, yes, we decided to offer the Grange up for sale, unless some form of financial support arrived..."

Debbie raised her hands, palms up to halt the question from the open-mouthed Marie opposite her.

"However, in a follow-up meeting, the banks introduced us to a consortium, made up of landowners from the surrounding counties, who were looking for such an opportunity. The board has met with them several times and they are currently negotiating a 49% interest in the company that operates the college It's this that resulted in a massive cash injection, which has paid for this summer's renovations and expansion."

Despite this confession, Debbie still looked nervous, paying a little more attention to Tracy rather than Marie. Sipping her water once more, she continued.

"The consortium has come up with a radical alternative approach to our current operation. With greater resources, they'd researched government policy, growing trends and the opportunities that are now available. With the Local Agricultural College at Cirencester upgrading to a university, they have diversified away from agriculture. Coupled with a few other private, not-for-profit colleges closing, which leaves a hole in the market, one we can expand on."

Marie leaned forward in her seat, keen to learn more but also biting her tongue, desperate to ask questions.

"There are also the environmental challenges facing agriculture. As a result, we are looking at expanding our curriculum to include more modern practices of water, and power conservation, hydroponics, and many other technological advances. All of which attracts government funding that strengthens our position. By opening our doors to share our facilities with the local community, we also attract additional funding. They're also keen to introduce more foreign students, as they are typically the ones with the deeper pockets."

Marie was nodding excitedly, obviously excited at the coming changes, whereas Tracy was more sceptical and had to interject.

"Who's in this consortium and what are their real interests?"

"The consortium comprises landowners, who all operate either large farms or rent land to farmers. Many come from existing farming stock. A few were students here, although the principal benefactors are retired politicians or businessmen. They are all seeing a drain of people from agriculture and need fresh blood to take on farming for their future."

Tracy remained unconvinced, as it didn't answer their genuine concerns over the dual roles. Debbie saw the doubt in her eyes and continued.

"And this is where you come in, Tracy. Key to all this is a wealthy businessman who is the head of the consortium. He's settled in a vast estate in Oxfordshire, and it's his deposit that secured the renovations."

Doubt crossed Tracy's face again. Images of a Russian oligarch or Colombian drug lord crossed her mind.

"Being the head of the consortium, Mr Hashimi has a significant influence on the consortium. He is the man we need to impress and keep on our side to ensure the merger completes, as the finer details are not finalised. He has an adult daughter who has lived with her mother in the South of France for most of her life but is now keen to join her father in business. However, and these are his words, not mine. His money and wealth have spoiled her. As a result, he wants to test her outside her academic comfort zone, bring her down to earth and get her hands dirty."

Tracy groaned, reading in between the lines.

"Essentially, he wants a babysitter to wet nurse a spoiled child?"

Debbie blushed and nodded. She looked more nervous at this point than before, taking a large gulp of water from her glass.

"If you want to put it like that, yes."

Marie looked puzzled whilst Tracy's eyes bulged. Tracy rose as if to leave, but Debbie, now panicking, blurted out.

"Tracy, you have to stay. It could save the college and the Grange. Marie can't possibly do everything on her own. She's stretched over these weeks, as it is."

Now standing, Tracy retorted fiercely, "I didn't leave the army and promotion to babysit a spoiled brat. Had you been open and honest with me in the interview, I wouldn't have come. This is NOT what I came here for."

Red-faced and furious, Tracy rose and turned to leave, but before she'd taken another step, Debbie's large desk resonated with a crash that shocked all three women. Tracy turned to look back at the table and saw a terrified Debbie, who now stood with her hands clear of the table, reeling in shock.

Before anyone could speak, a thunderous double rap hit the table, forcing Debbie to jump in shock and Marie to gasp.

"Molly?" Tracy asked as she searched around the room for any sign of her.

"You must stay. Save Marie, save the Grange, save the college"

Molly's voice screamed at Tracy.

"Molly?"

Tracy asked, searching again, unsure if the voice was only in her head but Judging from the reaction of terror in Debbie and the surprise on Marie's face, they had also heard her.

"You heard her?" Tracy asked Marie.

"Only a whisper," Marie confirmed.

Debbie looked as if she were about to have a coronary, gasping, "Me too, barely a whisper, but the table rose and slammed back down."

"Okay, Molly." Tracy held her hands up in surrender and sat back down. Surprised that whilst she heard Molly almost screaming, Marie and Debbie only heard a whisper.

The three of them took a while to settle, unsure of what to make of what had just happened.

"You can't speak of this, not to anyone." Implored Debbie.

"Why not? What is your resistance to acknowledging the existence of ghosts in the college?"

"There's more than one of them?"

Tracy and Debbie glanced at each other, then nodded in agreement to Debbie, who looked down at her desk cautiously as she sat back down.

"A few years ago, it all came to a head when one of the deeply religious parents complained about the evil spirits in the college after an incident of pens going missing and work being defaced. Luckily, we could explain it away when we discovered some inter-student rivalry, but there are too many incidences that we can't explain away."

"So? Just tell the truth."

"And risk the wrath of the board after the tornado that wrecked the boardroom after that one meeting."

Tracy chuckled.

"Molly showed me that. She's not evil, quite the opposite. It was more passion than threatening. In fact, she avoided breaking anything of value, just slamming doors and wailing."

"I had a tough time explaining it to the bank and keeping the board from bringing in that parent and a hoard of religious freaks to exorcise the whole college. If it got out, we'd lose students or get bad press."

"But it could also be advantageous to the Grange. You could host ghost hunting weekends, or historical tours during holidays or at Halloween. You never know, if the papers got hold of it, it could raise the profile of the college and promote it."

"Today is not the time to raise it. With all that we have ahead of us, this is too fragile a time to give the consortium cold feet on the deal. I'd appreciate it if we could keep any ghost talk to ourselves."

Tracy & Marie agreed, seeing her side. This was too sensitive a time to rock any boat.

"How do you envisage my new remit working?"

"As you see fit, because her father has given us carte blanche. He wants her to benefit from her experience here at the Grange whilst also reporting back to her father. He needs to remain on board, as he is the largest backer and can influence his colleagues."

"Okay. If her father wants her to get her hands dirty and grow personally, then let's throw her in at the deep end. I'd like to suggest she become a member of staff, working with me as an intern, which will explain her lack of experience in outdoor activities. I assume then Marie and I can divide up commitments as we see fit?"

Debbie thought hard, then nodded.

"I agree. In fact, we've already allocated her the fourth room up in the attic with you, rather than in the boarding houses with students."

Tracy thought through the layout of the attic area.

"But the fourth door leads to the servant's stairway, down to the back of the lower kitchen?"

Both Debbie and Marie gave Tracy surprised looks.

"Er, no. We blocked off those unsafe stairs years ago and made the end of the long attic into a fourth room. It was supposed to be Penny's, but she settled in next to you before we'd realised. How do you know about the stairway?"

"The same way I knew it was Molly who knocked on the table, the same way I sat in on your board meeting earlier this year, hearing of your financial troubles, and the decision to sell the Grange. Ever since I arrived, Molly has been showing me her life and ghostly wanderings in my dreams. Her story is tangled up in the Grange and she wants it to survive, as does Marie... I'll stay and help."

Debbie tilted her head in surprise, grinning at Tracy's U-turn and sat back in her chair, absorbing the implications but not knowing how much Tracy did or didn't know. Marie's shoulders relaxed at hearing Tracy's decision to stay.

Tracy couldn't resist in adding smugly.

"Aren't you glad now that Molly tucked my CV into Marie's handbag?"

Debbie gasped once more, "Whaat?"

"Molly showed me in a dream. So, why the change of heart?"

"Ah, well, you were way above the average applicant and we didn't need another Marie, as she's done a wonderful job over the years and with our budget restrictions, we couldn't afford you. But after the consortium's approach and the need to satisfy Mr Hashimi's request, I knew you were perfect for the role. We couldn't tell you until everything was finalised and his daughter confirmed her plans. Plus, he's paying for your wages and expenses."

Debbie opened a drawer of her desk and pulled out a gold Visa credit card emblazoned with the Grange's logo, handing it to Tracy, as Marie's eyes bulged in jealousy.

"I don't know what the limit is, but please be reasonable and keep receipts."

"Ah, that explains the first night when you covered the food bill?"

Debbie nodded. "It was too early to confirm at that point, but Mr Hashimi has been paying close attention, reporting back to the consortium and he's extremely impressed."

"Is his daughter arriving tomorrow with the other students?"

"No, she's coming with him this morning."

"That's not a lot of time to prepare."

"I know, and I'm sorry. Everything landed in the last few weeks. I'm just glad you could come at such short notice and not have to give four weeks' notice."

Marie, now spoke up, happier with the new turn of events, checked her watch.

"We don't have long before our Mr Hashish arrives."

Tracy chuckled.

"Hashimi, Marie. Mr Hashimi. Although you never know, hashish has been the bedrock of many so-called businessmen before."

Debbie jumped in.

"No stereotyping, please. He is a respected businessman."

Marie asked Debbie.

"Can Tracy and I have five minutes to chat about how our new working arrangement is going to work?"

Debbie relaxed back into her chair.

"Of course."

Tracy got up, with Marie joining her, and they left Debbie's office to find the entrance hall lined with boxes, with one of the house staff checking packages against a list.

"Do you want to get a cup of tea?" Tracy asked.

"No, I was hoping for somewhere like your room, for privacy."

The two women made their way upstairs. Once inside Tracy's room, Marie closed the door behind them and pulled Tracy to her, hugging her tightly. Marie, brushing her head alongside Tracy's looking over her shoulder.

"I'm so pleased you're going to stay?"

"Mmm, so am I."

Marie kissed her full on the mouth and passionately plunged her tongue between her lips. Tracy responded and the pair of them rekindled their passion from the previous night. Eventually, they broke free, still locked together but eyeing each other.

"Would you have gone?"

"I'm sorry, possibly... But you heard Molly, and she brought me to my senses. I know I'd have instantly regretted it as, for the first time in ages, I feel at home."

"You feel at home?"

"Oddly enough, yes. All the barracks and hotels were just a means to an end, but the last few days, especially after last night, have made me feel different... Does that make sense?"

"No, but it doesn't need to. I'm just glad you're here for the summer."

Tracy pulled her in and kissed her.

"Me too."

"What about afterwards?"

"I don't know. Can we focus on the now and worry about that another day?"

Marie gulped and looked as if she'd hoped to hear something more positive.

"I'm sorry. I'd love to say I'd stay beyond the end of the summer, but I don't know what or where I will find the next job. Please, can we leave it like that, until I know something more positive?"

Marie nodded and hummed, "Uh-huh. Er, I meant to ask, why does Molly think I need saving?"

Tracy initially looked blank, thinking back to earlier and blushed.

"I'm not sure, but maybe she's referring to the loss of your grandmother?"

When, Tracy actually wondered if she meant Marie's loneliness at being single.

"Mmm, that must be it."

Marie answered, although not entirely believing it herself.

After a brief kiss, the two women giggled and Tracy wrapped her arms around Marie, pulling her in, and wiggled her breasts, brushing hers along Marie's, as she giggled naughtily. Marie gripped her waist and hugged her, laughing.

"This is so naughty. I've never felt this way before, with anyone."

"Mmm."

Tracy wanted to tell her she'd never felt this way about anyone else either but she held back. Not wanting to hope for too much.

The two kissed passionately once more, hands running up and down each other, both wanting to tear each other's clothes off. Tracy broke away from Marie.

"Er, as much as I want this to continue, I think we should get back to Debbie's office. Although, I fear it could be a while before we can be alone together, if I am to be babysitting little Miss Rich Kid."

Marie jokily pulled a pouty face, making Tracy giggle. They kissed one more time, separated, and left the bedroom.

They retraced their steps back down to the entrance hall that now had a wall of boxes on two sides of the room, one side's boxes had staff names marked on them, and the other had boxes which were taped back up with notes on the contents.

The member of the house staff sat on a large box with a clipboard, noted the pair, and addressed them.

"Ladies, if you could collect the boxes with your names on. Please, let your staff know and come to collect theirs. We have enough stock to replace anything if we've got the sizing wrong or you need anything extra."

"Oh okay, thanks, Rose. Have Debbie's visitors arrived?"

"Ah, yes. Debbie asked if you could join her as soon as you returned."

Tracy and Marie went straight to Debbie's office and knocked on the door. As they paused, they checked each other's T-shirts and hair, straightening everything, as if it would bear witness to their extra-curricular activities upstairs.

"Enter."

Came Debbie's muffled voice from the other side of the door.

The two women glanced at each other for moral support and entered. As they opened the door, the room's three occupants stood up. Debbie faced them from her desk. A short, Saville Row suited businessman and an extremely well-dressed young lady, in a dress that probably cost the same as a medium-sized Mercedes saloon.

The businessman immediately turned to step forward to greet the two women with his hand outstretched. His silk shirt was open, showing a gold necklace and wearing black, patent leather shoes, so highly polished, you'd be able to see yourself in them. He had short black hair and a well-trimmed dark moustache and beard.

He smiled, with brilliant white teeth, and introduced himself with a soft, middle England accented voice.

"Ladies, I've been looking forward to meeting you both."

He approached Marie first, shaking her hand, "Marie, I was very sorry to hear about your grandmother, my condolences."

His eyes showed a genuine remorse that surprised the sceptical Tracy.

"Thank you, Mr Hashimi."

Tracy glanced proudly at Marie, relieved she'd remembered his name correctly.

"No, Ladies, please, call me Afshin."

He moved quickly to Tracy's hand, "Tracy, I am very impressed with your performance so far. It's exactly what we need here now."

"Thank you, Afshin."

"No, thank you, Tracy. You're the kind of new blood we're going to be looking for."

Tracy glanced at Debbie, who looked as surprised as Marie at Afshin's comment.

"Don't forget, I'm only here for the summer, and the old blood, as you call it, has done pretty well so far. In fact, Marie already has grand plans to expand beyond some ideas I've jumped the gun on."

Afshin tried to look at Marie, but Tracy maintained her hold on his handshake, with Marie already behind him. He couldn't see the surprise on her face when she turned and mouthed "I have?".

"I'd be very interested in any suggestions you ladies have."

"Oh, maybe I'm jumping the gun on her planning, but I'd hate for anyone else to steal her thunder."

1...1213141516...20