Love, Life, and Death at The Grange

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Afshin's eyes showed he was about to call Tracy's bluff, but Tracy beat him to it.

"But that's not why we're here. I assume this is your daughter?"

Tracy let go of Afshin's hand and stepped towards the young lady, who stood, ignoring Marie and Tracy, but maintained her eyes on her father.

"Yes, of course. Allow me to introduce my beautiful daughter, Avalie."

For the first time, Avalie recognised someone else's presence in the room, other than her father's, as the two women greeted her. Tracy could see Afshin was correct; Avalie was indeed beautiful, having smooth tanned skin covering modelesque features. Her long, jet-black hair flowed down her back like a waterfall. Her understated jewellery all screamed high-end retail.

She looked in her early twenties, about Marie's height and build. Although her four-inch heels gave her a deceptive height, forcing Marie to look up at her. Her hands were cool and dry, as she gave both women a loose polite handshake.

"Pleased to meet you."

Avalie commented at each handshake. Her voice had a strong French accent to it, but carried little substance, like a starlet greeting her adoring fans.

Afshin politely moved two spare chairs closer and indicated for Tracy to sit next to Afshin and Marie in the second chair. Once they were all seated, Afshin spoke up.

"Tracy, I want Avalie to follow your every instruction. Unfortunately, living in the lap of luxury with her mother has softened and spoiled her. She has had the best an expensive education could afford and yet doesn't have a drop of common sense. She has never gotten her hands dirty. Her life has been devoid of even the smallest amount of manual labour."

Tracy could see Avalie beyond Afshin and wondered how large a carrot he was dangling over her to allow her to acquiesce to such brazen chauvinism and control.

"If she is to join me in business, then she needs to have experienced some life and not just by purchasing it. If she is to lead people in business, she needs to respect them and not treat them like dogs."

He had the keys to his empire, but he wasn't going to relinquish them easily.

"I want to believe she is capable of change, of leading my empire through the bad times, as well as the good times. At the moment she says, 'Yes father, no father', but her eyes tell me differently."

For the first time, Tracy saw defiance in Avalie's eyes as she leaned forward and opened her mouth to protest, but Afshin turned to her and she clammed up. Afshin barked at her at speed in Persian. His words came so fast that Tracy couldn't directly translate, but she caught the angry gist.

When Afshin returned his gaze to Tracy, the anger in his eyes had gone.

Tracy found herself wanting to defend Avalie, even in a small way, or at least deflect Afshin's attention to his daughter, without provoking her employer.

"Ah, so you are Iranian."

"Yes. Very perceptive of you, Tracy."

"Of course, your linguistic talents but Persian isn't listed as one of your languages on your CV."

Tracy beamed at Marie, seeing the adoration in her eyes. The young woman, however, maintained her eyes on her father. Debbie's eyes flitted between her guests, unsure whether or not it was a good sign.

"Unfortunately, Afshin, I'm not fluent. Well, not enough to list it in my resume."

"Tell me, what plans do you have for my daughter?"

"Ah, unfortunately, we've had very little time to plan anything. It depends on whether you want her to evaluate your new business acquisition or for her to experience something new?"

"I want both."

"I'd like her to join us as a member of staff, working with me as an intern, which will explain her lack of experience in outdoor activities to our students. In the beginning, being a complete novice will help her lead by example, as our guinea pig for every activity. Then later pass on her new skills by teaching and encouraging others further. In a position of delivering our service to our students. I think it will help us unlock more of her potential and personal growth, rather than being just another student."

Afshin clapped his hands together with a grin.

"Excellent. I whole heartedly agree. I look forward to hearing glowing reports of her progress and the Grange's summer program, and then I can consider helping the Grange College. Tracy, I leave my daughter in your care."

Afshin turned to beam at Debbie.

"Debbie, I knew we had the right person for the job."

Debbie grinned as her shoulders relaxed, giving away her relief.

Tracy asked, "Avalie, have you suitable outdoor clothing, and any casual clothes?"

Avalie nodded as she gestured over her dress, "Yes, like this."

Tracy laughed loudly, almost choking on her words.

"Casual? You can't climb, camp, canoe or horse ride in that. Something more similar to what we're wearing?"

Avalie bit her lip, confirming Tracy's doubts.

"Okay, can we have a look at what you have brought?"

Avalie replied, as if it were obvious.

"It's all in the Bentley outside."

"Do you mind showing us?"

Avalie rose, to be joined by Tracy, who invited Marie to join them. Tracy, reaching the door first, opened it and held it for the following women to exit. Entering the main hallway, they saw Rose, bent over some boxes, digging deeply into one, rummaging through its contents.

Tracy walked over to Rose.

"Hi, Rose, what spare clothing do you have for staff? We have a new recruit for the summer. This is Avalie."

"Oh! Lovely, welcome Avalie. What do you need and what size are you?"

All three women looked at Avalie, who looked bemused and stood up, arms stretched, waiting to be measured.

Tracy burst out laughing, whilst Marie and Rose tried to hide their amusement.

Tracy eyed her up and down.

"Ten, I'd say, but we don't want anything too tight. What do you have to spare?"

"Ah, okay. Luckily we have a lot spare and the sizing seem to be reasonably on the button. Hmm well, polo-shirts, trunks, swimsuits, tracksuits and waterproofs."

"We'll take the lot, as well as our allocations, please?"

"Yours are over there, with your names on," Rose pointed at a smaller stack of boxes.

Rose returned to the unmarked pile and started opening boxes and rummaging, spiriting packages out.

"What's her name again? As I'll need to record what she's had?"

"Avalie."

Rose pulled her head out of the box to scribble on her clipboard, and returned to her boxes.

Tracy and Marie found their boxes and pulled them out to one side, as Rose packed a pile of clear plastic bag wrapped clothes into a spare box. Once she'd checked the contents and written it down, she handed it to Avalie.

"There you go."

"You've spelled my name wrong."

Avalie protested.

Before Rosie could retort, Tracy said, "What you mean to say is, thanks Rose, you're a star, but I spell my name, A -- V -- A -- L -- I - E."

Avalie looked shocked and followed Tracy and Marie outside to see the huge Bentley parked under the portico.

The three women headed to the enormous boot and stood waiting. Marie and Tracy looked at Avalie expectantly.

"Ah, I don't know how to open it."

Avalie confirmed.

Marie headed to the driver's side door. Luckily it was open, and she searched the plush interior dashboard, before shouting back, "I think this is it."

The lid to the boot smoothly opened to reveal a cavernous interior. Well, it would be, except for the five enormous Louis Vuitton trunks and a small keep all duffel inside it.

"You realise you are only here for four weeks, and whilst there is laundry, they don't do dry cleaning."

Avalie looked as if the bottom had dropped out of her world. Pointing out each trunk, she declared,

"But I've got casual day wear in there. Casual evening in that one. More formal wear in that one. Underwear and nightwear in that one. Shoes, boots and footwear in that one. And that is my makeup and essentials bag."

Marie stood there, open-mouthed, unable to comment. Tracy chuckled, unable to hold back.

"You realise that when we go pony trekking, and camping, all your clothes need to fit in a rucksack about the same size as your essentials bag? Sharing space with a sleeping bag, cooking stove, plates, pans, cups, food and waterproofs."

Avalie looked dumbfounded, not even sure what that meant. Tracy took the lead.

"Avalie, we have two choices. We can rummage through your wardrobes and discover how unsuitable your choices were, or you grab any essentials and we to buy you some more suitable clothes and shoes."

"Can I pick out some of my favourites?"

"Your choice, but yes. Why not? I'm not a monster!"

Marie chuckled and received a glare from Tracy.

"Okay."

As Avalie tried to pull one of her trunks out, Tracy gave her a hand and asked, "Marie, do we have access to a company car?"

"Yeah, we've a small Berlingo."

"I don't know what that is, but if it fits the three of us, then we'll use it. Can you take us to some half decent outdoor stores, supermarkets and maybe some local high street to deck Avalie out with some suitable gear?"

"Yes, but it's going to cost a bomb."

Avalie and Tracy placed the trunk on the ground. Avalie opened the trunk and started sorting through it. Tracy dug into her pocket and pulled out a credit card, waving it at Marie.

"You forget Marie; Debbie gave me a Gold Visa card."

She giggled.

Marie went to collect the car, whilst Avalie sorted out items, showing them to Tracy to gain her approval. After digging through the first trunk and only having two dresses added to her box of Grange College staff wear, Avalie ignored two of her trunks, to have a pair of jeans and several tops approved from the next. In the last trunk, they agreed on two sets of shoes.

Tracy allowed Avalie to choose her own underwear, but advised on some more comfortable larger ones, over thongs, for activities.

"Don't forget any toiletries and any medication you need. Medicinal, that is. Not recreational."

After sorting through her trunks, Avalie now had a rationalised essentials bag and her box with several items stacked on top. They repacked the trunks into the Bentley as Marie pulled up in what was really a small, four-door car, with room for four people and a large van-like rear. Both Avalie and Tracy chuckled at the little box car that was dwarfed by the plush Bentley.

"Avalie, we can go as you are now, or you can change into something more suitable. Then we can leave your dress and lovely shoes with your father."

Avalie pondered, initially looking to Tracy for her answer. Seeing Tracy raise her eyebrows at her, she decided. "I'll change."

"Come on, then I'll show you your room. Marie, Avalie is going to change, then we'll meet you back here in ten."

"Okay." Marie confirmed.

Avalie picked up her box of clothes and Tracy picked up her duffel bag. Marie followed them into the entrance hall and collected her box of clothing and headed to the gatehouse.

Tracy knocked on Debbie's office door, but rather than waiting, entered immediately.

"Afshin, I'm going to show Avalie her room, so she can change into her Grange College staff clothes. Could you delay your departure until Avalie can return her dress and shoes to you?"

"Certainly Tracy."

Tracy nodded at Debbie and exited the office. She waited for Avalie to follow her and showed her the way upstairs to the attic. As they reached the last stair, Tracy nodded to her room.

"That's my room, that's Penny, and that's Gracie's room."

She dropped her box near her door and continued down to the last door.

"And this is yours."

Avalie followed Tracy into the bedroom, where she settled the box on the bed. Tracy went over and placed the bag on the bed.

"Okay, change into your jeans for now and a Grange polo shirt. I'll be back in five."

Tracy went to leave, then remembered something and turned back to Avalie.

"Oh, there is something very important I need you to do, but can you introduce yourself to Molly?"

As she spoke, Tracy felt a mild cool breeze brush past her and she caught a hint of lavender. Tracy looked at an area she roughly guessed Molly might be and spoke to the empty space.

"Molly, this is a friend of mine, Avalie. She'll be here working with Marie and I for the summer. Please be nice to her."

Avalie looked nonplussed, glancing around the room, and then a realised, with the Grange being such an old house, "You have a ghost?"

"Several, but Molly is friendly. It's much easier for you, in the long run, to introduce yourself and chat with her now and then. Penny and Gracie do, but please don't tell anyone else. Debbie doesn't want anyone to acknowledge it, as she doesn't want it to influence your father's decision, so Mum's the word, please?."

"Ah, it's okay. In my home country, we are a very superstitious people and where I grew up in France, we also believe in the supernatural."

"Don't worry, Molly is nothing like that. We'll tell you more later, but for now, just say hi to her."

It surprised Tracy that Avalie wasn't behaving like the spoiled brat she expected, although she remained cautious as there are still four weeks ahead of them.

"Hi Molly, I'm Avalie and I'm very pleased to meet you. I hope we can be friends?"

Avalie looked back at Tracy, half expecting her to burst out laughing and cry 'got you.'

Both breathed a sigh of relief and Tracy was about to leave so Avalie could undress when a single knock rang out from the window cill, behind the area Tracy assumed Molly was standing.

Avalie's eyes bulged and glared at Tracy, unsure whether to believe her ears.

"It's okay, one knock for yes." Tracy giggled.

"Thank you, Molly, I'm sure we can be."

Tracy thanked Avalie and left her to return to her room, picking up her box of clothing along the way. Tracy sorted through her packages to pull out a new branded polo shirt. She was used to wearing shirts with 'STAFF' emblazoned on her back and being referred to as 'Staff', but she still wondered how Avalie would cope.

She headed for the door, leaving all the plastic-wrapped packages on her bed. Before opening the door, she turned and spoke back into the empty room.

"No need to tidy those up, Molly. I'll put them all away later."

As she stepped out into the hallway, she found Avalie standing in her doorway, smirking. She now wore her Grange polo shirt and her jeans. Tracy felt smug at having guessed her size right, being pleased with the fit.

"It's baggy."

"Ha ha, welcome to our world."

Avalie asked Tracy, "You don't like me, do you?"

"No, it's not that. We don't even know each other."

"I can see it in your eyes, or is it jealousy?"

"Well, we would all like to have more money, but that's not it. I didn't leave the army to babysit a rich kid."

"So, you're doing it for the money."

"No. Before you arrived this morning, I was about to leave."

Avalie then thought for a moment and continued.

"If my arrival was going to cause you to leave, why did you stay, if it wasn't for the money?"

"Ah, well. That is the sixty-four million dollar question. For Molly, Marie and the Grange. Plus, it is only for four weeks."

"But you've only been here for a few days, surely?"

"Ah... Now you're asking. Um, because I like it here. It's grown on me. I've gotten to know everyone, the house, grounds and, of course, the ghosts."

"Ha ha, you English!"

Avalie laughed, shaking her head, as she returned to her room and draped her dress over her arm, picked up her heels and gestured for them to leave.

This time, Tracy knocked on the door to Debbie's office and they entered as soon as they heard a muffled Debbie invite them in. Debbie and Afshin seated at Debbie's table.

Afshin stood to view his daughter, unable to resist a gloating chuckle.

"Tracy, you've tamed a wild beast."

"Far from it. Debbie, not knowing the immediate area well, I'll need Marie to drive us to get more suitable outdoor and casual outfits for Avalie."

Debbie nodded, "certainly."

Avalie handed Afshin her dress and heels, much to her amusement. Tracy raised her hand to bid Afshin farewell.

"Afshin, it's been a pleasure meeting you."

Tracy firmly shook Afshin's hand.

"Tracy, the pleasure has all been mine. Thank you."

Tracy and Avalie left Debbie's office and crossed the entrance hall, that now seemed empty with the walls of boxes and Rose gone. Only a few labelled boxes remained. Outside, Marie was waiting for them, sat in the little today car. Tracy jumped in the front passenger seat, glaring at Avalie as she waited for the rear passenger door to be opened for her. She blushed as she realised her mistake and climbed into the back of the compact car.

"Sorry, old habits, and all that." Avalie apologised.

Once in the car, Marie pulled away and drove towards the gatehouse.

"Where to?"

"Hmm, she'll need decent walking boots, shoes, trainers, walking trousers, jeans, swim shorts, casual tops, riding jodhpurs, something to wear at night when camping. Where would you suggest?"

"Okay, we'll go furthest away first and make our way back?"

"Sure. Where to?"

"Cotswold Outdoor. It's just beyond South Cerney and the lakes. What we can't get there, we can try Tesco's in Cirencester, as they have a clothes section. Then, failing that, Cirencester itself. There's a Go Outdoors in Gloucester and Cheltenham but it's further and will be busier."

"Drive away, thanks. You're a gem, as I've no idea where anything is."

As they passed under the gatehouse and Marie turned right down the hill, Tracy twisted in her seat to talk to Avalie. "I assume you are fluent in French?"

"Oui, naturellement."

"Good, as we have quite a few French students due to arrive tomorrow and it would be helpful to have someone else fluent in French."

Marie drove, humming to herself. Once Tracy straightened herself back in her seat, Marie asked, "Right, now you can't avoid me. I think I need you to remind me about those ideas I had."

"Aha, yes. You know, after we'd been to the quarry that first day and we walked back up through the woods, you were muting the idea of raising treetop walkways and maybe a few zip lines. Mixing up some adrenaline adventure with the possibility of showing students how ecosystems work, up in the tree canopy."

Marie nodded, smiling at herself, focused on the road ahead.

"Oh, those ideas."

Avalie, saw through the subterfuge, sitting in the back seat, smiled, saying, "You're a good friend Tracy."

For the rest of the trip, the three chatted over the coming itinerary for the students visiting the Grange and ideas of how Avalie could help. It didn't take too long before Tracy was pulling the car up at Cotswold Outdoors.

The outdoor retail outlet impressed Tracy, being a large industrial-like building next to a large man-made lake, surrounded by large reeds and grasses. Once they'd parked the car, the three women strode in through the entrance and headed for the boot section.

Over an hour later, they emerged with Avalie laden with bags. Marie gave Avalie the keys so she could load them into the car as Marie and Tracy headed for the lakeside cafe.

"It's so nice to spend time together before the students arrive tomorrow. It's a shame we've a third wheel."

"Yeah, Marie. I am getting a little tired of her huffing, puffing, and rolling her eyes at the quality of the gear and the lack of high-end brands. I had hoped she'd continue as she'd started so positive, but now, I'm not too sure."

They entered the cafe and joined the queue.

"What did Afshin say to Avalie back in the office, when he scolded her in Persian?"

"I'm not a hundred percent sure, as he spoke so fast and with a lot of venom. But the gist was, I could strip her bare and flay her within an inch of her life for all he cared, so long as it taught her a lesson."

1...1314151617...20