Love of Autism Ch. 08

Story Info
Dealing with pain.
10.9k words
4.81
6.5k
12

Part 8 of the 18 part series

Updated 04/17/2023
Created 12/30/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Welcome one and all to chapter right! Yes, you have enjoyed seven chapters so far and are ready to enjoy and the eighth. This chapter is a little heavier than previous chapters, but all for good reasons in the near and distant future. As always I enjoy getting and reading all feedback, no matter if an avid follower or first time reader. As always thank you Tigersman for your editing services.

*****

The drive to the cemetery was wasn't long, but very quiet in all three cars. No one said a word as none was needed. When everyone had arrived, they exited their vehicles to find a fourth car was already there with Jillian and Katie waiting. Scott immediately went to Katie and gave each other a small hug before separating and holding hands as they followed Liz, Melissa, and Luke. Other than the sound of the wind blowing, no other sounds were made.

A few minutes later they arrived at the tombstone where a pastor was waiting for them. He smiled at Melissa and Luke as they approached, trying his best to make them feel less sad about what was about to be done. He gave them both a hug before gesturing to everyone to form a semicircle around the tombstone. Once everyone was in place, the pastor bowed his head and folded his hands together as he said a prayer. There wasn't a single dry eye during the prayer, not even the pastor was able to hold back his tears.

Once the prayer was over, all four families laid a bouquet of flowers by the tombstone. Katie was the last one to lay a bouquet as she read the name on the tombstone, Susan Mary Jackson.

After this was done, everyone returned to their cars and a short drive was made to the Jackson's house. This was a yearly tradition the adults had decided on to help remind their children and themselves that life is a very precious thing. When Susan arrived into the world, she was stillborn. Everyone was left in shock when it happened. Life was never truly the same for anyone after that, especially for Scott who was only eight at the time and had a hard time grasping that a baby wouldn't be born alive. For a period of time whenever he saw Melissa, he would ask if he could give her belly a kiss to help heal the wound. No one wanted to tell Scott no at the time because it was a very sweet and kind act he wanted to do.

However, remembering the life that was never was much harder for Scott and it made him think more about death and his meaning in life. If there was any time when he questioned whether his autism made his life better or worse, this was when he felt like it made his life worse. He would think about all the difficulties autism brought to his life, making friends outside of Liz and Steve, having a small variety of food that he liked, always feeling like an outsider in school, and always having it be made known to him that he is 'different'.

When everyone had arrived at the Jackson's house, food that had been made beforehand was brought out for everyone to eat and some bottles of wine were opened as well. Scott was too depressed to eat and felt overwhelmed by the feeling of sadness. He went into the basement of the house, knowing that no one would bother him. In years past, he would sit on the couch in the basement to process what he was feeling without the pressure of everyone upstairs expecting him to act a certain way. Everyone knew Scott did this and left him alone. However, Katie didn't know about this so she came down the basement to look for him. She saw that he looked more depressed and was starting to worry about him.

"Scott, are you ok?"

Scott glanced at her before he looked down at the floor again as he shook his head. "No, I'm not Katie."

Katie sat down next to him but didn't attempt to put her arms around him or put her hands into his. "Would you like it if I stayed here with you?"

Scott closed his eyes trying to decide if he wanted her to stay or not, but couldn't make up his mind. He didn't want her to leave or seem to be rude, but he didn't want her to see him like this either. "I don't know," he answered after a few seconds, tears starting to well up in his eyes.

Katie got up off the couch and went upstairs. Scott thought he did something wrong and was ready to kick himself when she came back downstairs with a box of tissues. She pulled a few pieces out and handed them to Scott. "You can cry in front of me Scott," she said, trying to comfort and assure him. "I won't think any less of you and I never will."

That was all Scott needed to hear before as he stopped holding back his tears. He took his glasses off and set them aside so that the tears didn't stain his glasses as he cried. He tried his best to wipe the tears away but they wouldn't stop flowing. Katie sat back with more tissues in her hand, but also helped Scott wipe away the tears. After a couple minutes, she realized that this wasn't going to be a short cry. She pulled him into a tight hug as she placed his head on her shoulders, letting him cry onto her shirt. "Go ahead and cry all you need to Scott," she soothingly said as she rubbed his back.

Scott cried his eyes out for several minutes until there wasn't any tears left to cry. He just kept his head on Katie's shoulder, too exhausted and drained to move. Katie didn't mind at all. After all the time he had been there for her, she was more than happy to return the favor.

After about 15 minutes Jillian came down the stairs to look for her daughter to ask how long she wanted to stay. However, when she saw Katie comforting Scott she figured it wasn't time to leave yet and walked back upstairs, went to the family room and sat down on the couch. A few minute later Jackie came by and handed her a class of wine.

"Thank you," Jillian said, appreciating the gesture.

"You're welcome," Jackie said as she sat down with Jillian. "So where's Katie? I haven't seen her around."

"She's with Scott in the basement."

"That's good. I hate it when he goes off by himself and stays away from everyone."

"Is this really hard for him or something?" Jillian asked, not understanding why this was so hard for Scott.

"When we found out Susan was stillborn, it took us all by surprise. Scott was only eight at the time and was very excited to meet her. We tried to tell him what happened, but he didn't want to believe it. Even after we showed him her body, he still refused to believe that a newborn baby wouldn't be alive.

"He hadn't really been exposed to death much, at least at an age where he would understand what death is. He was depressed for the longest time and didn't snap out of it until we took him to the same psychologist Melissa and Luke had been seeing to help them get through it. Once Scott started seeing Bernie things started to go much better, until we decided to remember Susan on her birthday every year. Then he would fall be into depression, almost reliving the tragedy all over again."

Jillian listened intently as Jackie explained everything to her and some of it made sense. "So Scott hasn't really gotten over it."

"No," Jackie admitted, looking at her half full glass of wine. "Honestly, I don't think he will. It shook him to his foundation and autism doesn't let him forget any sort of memorable event in life, good or bad."

"I see."

A small smile formed on Jackie's face. "But having Katie there with him helps me know he is not grieving alone and that there is someone he is letting his guard down with."

"What do you mean?" Jillian asked.

"For the longest time, he wouldn't let anymore ever see him cry."

"No one?"

"Nope, no one. Not me, his father, or his sister. Not even Liz and Steve see him cry. He always finds someplace private to cry and if anyone finds him crying, he runs away or yells at us to go away."

"But he lets Katie see him cry?"

"Yes," Jackie said, still surprised by that fact. "He must really love her."

"And she loves him too." Both women sat there contemplating how things were going so well between Scott and Katie. Never in their wildest dreams would they have thought they would actually choose to be friendly to each other, much less date.

Jillian is happy for her daughter, but events of the day are also reminding her of a life lost to her as well. "Lately though...I've been thinking how much worse things would be had I didn't have my miscarriage."

Jackie looked a Jillian shocked by this revelation. "When was this?"

"Two months after Katie's first birthday." Jillian closed her eyes and tried to hold back the tears. "She doesn't know. I never worked up the courage to tell her."

Jackie put her hand on Jillian's shoulder. "I know you will tell her when the time is right."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"So, I've actually been meaning to ask you something," Jillian said, unsure whether she should ask something of Jackie or not.

"What is it?" Jackie asked curiously.

"Well, I travel a lot for work and of course I can't take Katie with me so she is left home alone. I know she is a big girl and can handle it, but I still worry that something could..."

"Yes," Jackie interrupted, "we would be more than happy to have Katie stay with us if she would like to. We actually have a spare bedroom she can sleep in."

"Thank you," Jillian said very happy, "you have no idea how much more relaxed I will be knowing she is truly safe."

"It's no problem at all," Jackie assured. "I'm pretty sure Scott wouldn't mind at all."

***********************************************

Before Scott knew it, the weekend was over and it was back to the reality of school on Monday. The morning seemed to fit his mood as well as it was cold and rainy. On top of everything else, he just felt numb to the world. Once he parked his car, he and his sister got out and went into the school building. Sarah ran as fast as she could while Scott just walked at a slow pace, not caring how soaked his jacket and backpack were getting.

Once inside, he immediately headed towards his locker to drop off his jacket but stopped a few yards short when he saw Katie standing by his locker. 'Dammit,' he thought to himself, 'here I am in a dreadful mood and Katie has no idea that she can't help me.' He proceeded to walk to his locker with his head down, not wanting to meet Katie's gaze. With a few spins he unlocked his locker, opened it, and shrugged off his wet jacket to hang it up, all without saying a word to Katie.

"I'm here for you Scott in any way that you need me," Katie said quiet enough so that only he could hear. He just continued to put his jacket away before closing his locker. "I love you Scottie and always will, even when you are at your worst."

Scott turned his head to look at her and didn't see what he expected to see. He completely expected to see her be over cheery with a huge smile trying to cheer him up. Instead there was a look of worry with a half-smile, showing her concern, yet at same time knowing there wasn't anything she could really do. Once again he had completely misjudged her and like before, he was glad to be so wrong in this case.

"I'll be OK. This just takes a while for me to...pull out of," he said not even convinced he believed himself.

Katie put a hand on his shoulder. "And until then, you just tell me what to do to help."

A small smile started to form on Scott's face, thankful that Katie was more understanding than he could have hoped for. "You can start by giving me a hug."

With that, Katie pulled Scott into a hug, but was surprised how much he was squeezing her. She simply accepted it as him just needing to release some of the tension and let him squeeze her for as long as needed. A few seconds later he let go and gave her a light kiss on the cheek. Before he could turn away from her though, she saw what looked like an actual smile on his face.

Just seeing that made her smile knowing that Scott would be alright, at least until lunch where hopefully she could think of something to talk about that would distract him. They had spent two hours in Melissa and Luke's basement with her just holding Scott and comforting him. To her, it was two hours well spent and she felt closer to Scott because of it. Not everything was going to be all smiles and easy going. Things would get bad once in a while and so far they each had supported each other in the right ways.

Sadly, that smile Scott gave Katie was just for show because immediately as he walked away, any good feeling he had was gone as soon as he sat down for his first class. He just felt depressed which made class seem to take two hours to get through. Each class after that just felt unnecessarily long and he was immediately thankful when it was time for lunch.

He got in line to get some food and only got a few things as he didn't feel that hungry. However, when he went to pay the woman at the register gave him back change.

"Um, I haven't paid for any of this yet," he said confused.

The woman smiled. "Your girlfriend has paid for you already. I am merely just giving you the change back."

Scott counted the change he was given and realized Katie must have given the woman ten dollars. He didn't want Katie to do that, but recognized that she was just trying to do something to brighten up his day with a little act of kindness.

He grabbed his tray of food and walked over to the table where he and Katie were still required to sit at together. However, it was no longer a punishment to either of them and even when it was over they still planned on sitting next to each other, but also with Steve and Liz. Once he sat at the table he grabbed Katie's hand and gave it a kiss. Katie just smiled knowing what it was for and seeing the smile on Scott's face made her even happier.

The two didn't talk at all through lunch. They just sat and ate their food and every once in a while one of them would make a face to try to make the other laugh. Scott was more successful at making her laugh as he just seemed to know the right face to make. What was a good time was sadly cut short as the bell rang that lunch was over and everyone needed to get to their next class. Reluctantly, they threw away the food they didn't eat and headed to their next classes.

Thankfully for Scott his math class didn't feel as long to get through and English went way too fast for his liking. He and Katie had developed a system of communication that their teacher, Miss Bird, had been none the wiser to. They had managed to exchange several notes in class with only the people behind them seeing it and even then they only caught them exchanging maybe half of the notes.

When the bell rang that class and school was over Scott didn't immediately get up from his seat. He didn't want to leave and Katie didn't get up either. It wasn't until they were the only two students left that they stood up to get up out of their seats.

"You seem to be happier Scottie," Katie said.

Scott looked at his girlfriend and smiled. "I am and it is thanks to you."

"Just doing what I can."

Scott moved around his desk and placed his hand in Katie's. "And what you're doing is the right thing."

They proceeded to walk out of the classroom holding each other's hands until they reached Katie's locker. There they talked for a little bit as Katie got everything she needed to do her homework at home. Once she got everything they said their goodbye with a kiss and walked off in different directions, Katie going to her car and Scott heading to his locker. Halfway to his locker, Jack, Katie's ex-boyfriend approached him.

"Hey Scottie, how's it going?" Jack said in a way that even Scott could recognize wasn't sincere. Making matters worse, he called him 'Scottie', a nickname reserved only for people he really liked to call him. At this moment, only Katie was allowed to call him Scottie, so he was really annoyed that Jack called him that.

"Fine," Scott said curtly.

"So, how are things with the family?"

"What do you want Jack?" Scott asked losing his patience.

"Why do you have to be so rude? I was just asking you questions."

"Because you're acting like you're my friend when you aren't, so either tell me what you want or get lost."

"Scott I get that you have autism but..."

Scott immediately turned to look at Jack with anger in his eyes. "Do you really want to finish that sentence?"

"Dude," Jack said defensively, "you know how autism affects you, right?"

"Leave me alone," Scott said turning to leave, but Jack grabbed him by the arm.

"Look Scott, I just want to talk about how I can get back together with Katie and I would like your help."

"Well you're too late because she is my girlfriend now and you ruined your chance when you decided to cheat on her."

"Maybe you didn't hear me right," Jack said squeezing Scott's arm tighter, "but you are going to help me get what I want."

"Fuck off," Scott said, trying to shake from Jack's grip, but he just held onto his arm.

In anger Jack yanked Scott's arm and threw him across the hall into a wall. Scott used his hands to stop his face from hitting the wall, but his knees slammed hard against the wall.

"So, are you going to help me or not?" Jack asked in a threatening manner.

Scott propped himself on his hands and knees before standing up. "You can beat me up all you, but I still won't help you," he said defiantly.

Jack approached Scott ready to throw a punch when a fist landed in Jack's stomach from the side. Another guy threw the punch, but Scott didn't recognize him. He wore a Varsity jacket, but Scott couldn't see what patches were on the back. Enraged, Jack tried to throw a punch back, but the guy dodged it easily before shoving Jack against the opposite wall.

"Maybe you didn't hear what Scott said, so I'll help your hearing. He is not going to help you and I'm sure Katie doesn't want your cheating ass. If that isn't clear enough for you, then you'll find yourself on your ass a lot more if you ever approach Scott or Katie." Jack was still angry, but he knew this effort was a lost cause. He walked away angrily. The guy who helped Scott turned to him. "Are you going to be alright?"

"Yeah," Scott said rubbing his knees, "just banged my knees on the wall when he threw me."

"Put some ice on them when you get home. Hopefully they won't swell up and hurt less later on tonight."

"I think I'll do that...sorry but I don't know your name."

The guy smiled realizing he had yet to introduce himself to Scott. "I'm Ben, Colin's older brother."

"As in Colin who is dating my younger sister?"

"Same one."

"Ok, that makes a little more sense why you came to my aid."

"That and let's just say Jack is no longer a friend of mine after he cheated on Katie. I may have not liked her before for bullying you, but that was still shitty what he did to her at Homecoming."

"Yeah, I still can't believe he can't see that she doesn't want to even talk to him."

"Anyway, just let me know if he harasses you again and I'll harass him back."

"Sounds good," Scott said, bumping fists with Ben.

After that Scott went to his locker, grabbed what he needed and headed off to his car where Sarah was impatiently waiting for him.

"About damn time you got here," she scolded.

"Not my fault," Scott said with his hands raised. "Jack decided to pay me a visit to try to convince me that I should help him get back together with Katie."

"Damn," Sarah said as she got in the car, "so how did you get away from him? I'm sure he wouldn't just leave alone."

Scott smiled. "Your boyfriend's older brother helped get Jack off my case."

"Ben helped you?" Sarah asked shocked.

"Yep," Scott said as he started the car.

"Wow, I didn't even think he knew who you were."

"Well, he knows who I am and I definitely know who he is now."

The rest of the short drive home was filled with small talk about what happened during each other's school day. Once home, they each hung up their jackets and entered the kitchen where they were greeted by their mom.