Lovers' Veil

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wait!" Leofrick shouted. "I won't harm you! I make you that promise thrice! I won't harm you! I won't harm you! I won't harm you! There! Satisfied?"

Nearly out of sight, the pixie hesitated. After a few long moments, he drifted back, closing the distance between them, still staring at the Prince's sword with open loathing.

"Be cursed for a fool, human! Bringing iron into Faerie! Bah! Fool!"

"I'm sorry," Leofrick muttered quietly.

Still staring at the weapon, the pixie said, "You obviously know the strength of a vow thrice given. Made in Faerie, to a being of Faerie, its even more binding. Harm me at your own peril, ignorant mortal."

Leofrick bristled at the insults, yet held his temper in check. Stories he had been told growing up varied as to the degree of punishment for breaking a thrice-given vow. But the least pleasant thing he recalled was that the backlash of the broken promise made one very ill. Others claimed the punishment was instantaneous death brought on by the breaking of a vow thrice-given.

"I gave you my word. I'll not harm you. I've given you my name. I now give you my word, thrice, not to use your own name against you should you choose to give it to me freely, uncoerced, of your own free will."

He made the vow to the pixie three times, not breaking eye-contact. As he said the words, Leofrick carefully drew his sword, backing away from the other, putting more distance between the pixie and the offending iron blade. As he spoke the vow for the third time, the Prince opened the palm of his own hand, allowing blood to drip freely to the ground. As he finished speaking, he slide the blade home in its scabbard, trying to ignore the pain in his hand. He watched the hovering figure, waiting.

After a time, the pixie drifted closer. "You are bound by your word. You can never try to harm me, either with your filthy iron or by use of my name."

"I have no desire to do either."

"Aspen," the pixie said. "My name is Aspen."

Leofrick nodded in greeting. "Pleased to meet you, Aspen."

"Giving my name freely to a human," Aspen muttered to himself. "I must be insane..."

"I'm searching for someone," Leofrick said, getting back to the previous topic. "I'm hoping that maybe you can help me find her. Or, at the very least, point me in the right direction so that I might find her. I seek a woman of Faerie."

The Prince gave Aspen a full description of the mysterious woman he sought, along with a brief version of how and when he had first seen her and why he sought her. As he spoke, Aspen's expression morphed from uncertainty, to amusement to sorrow.

"The woman you seek is known to me," Aspen said when he had finished. "But you'll not be seeing her again. None will, I fear. I give you her name as, since she isn't giving it to you herself, freely and from her own lips, you cannot use it against her. Even if you could, she'd likely welcome the ending of her life."

"I wish only to find her, to speak with her, to get to know her. I have no desire to harm her. I will promise that thrice and with blood if need be."

Aspen shook his head, his orange hair floating around him with the motion. "No need. As I said, she's not giving it to you. I am. Her name is Rhyannon Ensorcelledlight. She is Princess of this realm."

"Princess Rhyannon Ensorcelledlight," Leofrick said, awed by the name.

"Yes. She lives in yonder castle. But she is in trouble."

"Tell me," Leofrick said, easing closer.

"Her father, King Oakenmace Ensorcelledlight, has arranged for her to marry a foul changeling. As if there were any other kind! Princess Ensorcelledlight refuses to marry the creature and has twice tried to escape. Leurre, the changeling she has been promised to, has hunted her down and taken her back each time. She is being held prisoner in her own home now."

Being told that the his suspicions about where the woman lived were correct barely registered in Leofrick's mind. His stomach clenched painfully, however, upon learning that the woman he sought, the woman he had crossed into an alternative world to find, was captive and being forced to marry another.

Aspen went on, saying, "Last night was her second escape. She ran into Gnomehearth Forest and was caught. It's the trail of her captors that you're following."

"Gnomehearth Forest?" Leofrick asked. "You mean Knavesmire Woods?"

The pixie waved a tiny hand. "Same place, different sides of the Veil, different names."

Leofrick glanced in the direction of the castle he now knew for certain he was moving toward. "Thank you, my friend. I only hope I can rescue her before it's too late."

After a very brief good-bye to the pixie, the Prince hurried toward the castle. He gave up trying to follow the trail, knowing now where it led. He was eager to see his home on the Faerie side of the Veil, but more eager to see the woman he had gone to such lengths to find again.

He stopped, staring in shock, as the castle came into view. It was virtually the same here as on his own side of the Veil. The only difference was, as with everything else here, it appeared fresher and brighter, almost as if it glowed with an inner energy of its own.

Moving closer, he stopped, frozen by shock once more, at the sight of the elves guarding the entrance. They looked to be roughly a foot plus shorter than Leofrick himself, and were dressed in diaphanous silk garments with billowing sleeves. Over the silk, they wore armor of what appeared to be clear, faceted crystal. The swords which hung from their brown leather belts also looked to be formed from crystal and keenly honed.

Crystal swords and armor? Far too fragile! They must be only a sort of honor guard, put in place to greet visitors.

He sat back, hidden in foliage, pondering how he was going to gain entry to the very place he called home in his own world. Any thought of attempting to disguise himself as a guard and walk in unmolested vanished with another glimpse of the elves. As he watched, something tickled his ear. He turned, surprised to see Aspen hovering there.

The pixie put a tiny finger to infinitesimal lips. "Quiet," he whispered. "Princess Ensorcelledlight is a good woman. I've wished for a way to help her. Now here you are. Do you really intend to rescue her?"

Leofrick nodded mutely.

Aspen returned the nod. "I shall help you, then, Prince Leofrick Wykeham. Despite your foolishness, I sense honor in you. I believe that you mean her no harm. How do you plan to get inside?"

Leofrick shrugged, pointing to the elven guards.

"No one on the outside even knows where she is being held," the pixie informed him, still whispering. "Wait here. I'll slip inside and locate her. When I return, we'll work out a plan. Agreed?"

The Prince nodded. Before he had completed the gesture, Aspen had darted off, quick as thought, in the direction of the castle.

Alone again, Leofrick settled back to wait, grateful for the help of the pixie. As he waited, his stomach growled and he began to wish that he had taken time that morning for breakfast before setting out.

No. She's in danger. Every moment counts. I need to get to her as quickly as I can manage. Had I taken the extra time, I may not have met Aspen. Had that not happened, I might still not know her name, anything about her or her situation. The thought made him antsy and he grew impatient for the pixie to return to him with news.

When Aspen did return, much later, his tiny face was haggard with despair. Before Leofrick could ask, the pixie began to speak.

"They have her locked in the dungeon. She's alive, but miserable. She's being held, upon order of her own father, by the changeling Leurre and a group of attorcroppes loyal to him."

Leofrick frowned. "What's an-"

Aspen shushed him, casting wary looks at the elven guards. "Quiet! Attorcroppes are nasty creatures. They look like snakes, but they walk upright like you and I. They have arms and legs. No one in their right mind has anything to do with them. They're devious creatures and have a very poisonous bite."

The pixie motioned for him to wait, then darted off again. He was back moments later.

"Just checking on the guards. Don't say a word! My voice is too quiet for them to hear. But yours... Even at whisper I wouldn't put it by them not to hear it."

Leofrick nodded.

"Good," Aspen said. "Now, how do we get you inside?"

The Prince shrugged.

"I flew up to one of the towers and slipped in through a window. That won't work for you, though. And I can't cast a glamour over you as everyone in the castle would detect the magick..."

Aspen trailed off, apparently in thought. After a time, he whirled back to face Leofrick.

"How long have you been in Faerie? Did you arrive just before I met you?"

Leofrick nodded, confused.

Aspen breathed a sigh of relief. "We have to make this quick so you can get home."

The Prince's confusion grew.

"You don't know, do you?"

Leofrick shook his head, having no idea what his companion was talking about, but instinctively not liking it.

"You're human," Aspen said. "Humans don't belong on the fey side of the Veil. The longer you're here, the harder it'll be for you to return home. You won't want to go back. There are other dangers, too, but don't worry. We'll get Princess Ensorcelledlight out and you can be on your way and never have to worry about them."

The Prince nodded, not liking the implications of the pixie's words. He forced himself to shove those thoughts aside and refocus on the castle and elven guards before them. There was a way inside. They simply had to find it.

Chapter 10

Princess Rhyannon Ensorcelledlight lay nude upon the table. Silently, she cursed Leurre. Since she had first woken to find herself trapped in the dungeon, the changeling had visited her twice more. During the first visit, he had ordered the attorcroppe guards to free her from the table, saying that she couldn't send the entire time awaiting Samhain lying chained to it. As soon as she was on her feet, Leurre had stepped in and unwrapped the silk from her body, baring her completely for him to see. Such a state of nudity in and of itself did not bother her, for she went naked much of the time anyway. Nearly all beings of Faerie did so. Hiding beneath layers of material was silly and unneeded if the weather was warm. But she had no desire for the changeling to see her body, to gaze upon her with those grotesque purple eyes, to touch her.

Once he had removed her clothing, he order her chained to the rough stone wall and left. She waited for hours, alone with the attorcroppes, fearing them almost as much as she hated Leurre.

Upon his next return, he had brought a bowl of soup, along with some bread and cheese. Leaving her ankles shackled, he freed her wrists to allow her to feed herself. After she was finished eating, she was allowed to make toilet, then moved back to the table. She had no idea how much time had gone by since. She knew only that she was stiff and sore from her uncomfortable position on the table. Each time she tried to move, the silver chains on her wrists and ankles held her firm. She whiled away the time in silent prayer, begging her patron Goddess to send help for her.

Attorcroppes stood close by, peering at her with dark, soulless eyes. They stayed far enough away so as not to accidentally touch her, but far too near for her comfort. She tried to ignore them but found she could not.

"Let me go," she begged them, lifting her head as much as the chains would allow.

The guards stared at her in silence, as if she had not uttered a word.

"Help me!" she insisted. "Get me out of here and you'll be rewarded. I promise! What do you want most? Gold? Jewels? Land? Name it and it's yours if you help me escape!"

The attorcroppes simply stared at her, not moving, not speaking.

Letting lose a shriek of vexation, she lay her head back, tears running from her eyes.

My life is over. I shall be forced to languish here until Samhain. On that night I shall be made to marry Leurre. If I try to starve myself before then, Leurre will only force me to eat. Or have the guards to force me. Once I'm wed to him, he won't need me alive anymore and will likely kill me soon after. That's if I don't take my own life just to escape him. But either way, my life will be over. So will those of so many others if Leurre takes control of Father's kingdom.

She tugged on the chains again. They jangled, but held firm. Once more, she lifted her head to stare back at the attorcroppes.

"I meant it," she said. "Free me and whatever you want is yours! You have my word, my solemn vow. Help me!"

As always, the attorcroppes only stared back, making no move or sound.

"Don't you realize what's happening?" she asked. "Leurre is a monster! He's using you! He's taken control of my father's mind through some deception and is forcing Father to force me to marry. If I marry Leurre, he'll kill Father and myself and be the ruler of this kingdom."

Still, there was no response to her words.

Rhyannon pulled at the bindings on her wrists until her arms ached. Relaxing, she looked again at the guards, making her voice cold and hard, saying, "Let me go. Now. I'll see to it that Father doesn't kill you for what you're doing. Leurre will get no such mercy, but I'll see to it that you do. Unlock these chains right now if you want to live."

The nearest attorcroppe shifted slightly. Taking hope in even this slightest of responses, she went on.

"Do it now," she said. "Do it now and I promise I'll make Father let you live. Leurre's head will be chopped off and put on a pike in front of the castle and his filthy body gutted and used at the wharf for chum. But you will all live if you release me this instant. I promise."

The attorcroppe closest to her stepped forward slowly, staring at her, eyes unblinking. He drew his crystal sword from its scabbard and jabbed the tender hollow of her throat with the sharp tip.

"Be silent," the guard hissed. "Our master tells us to keep you here, so here you stay. We are to watch you, not listen to you. Be silent."

Rhyannon held her breath until the sword was moved away. It took long minutes for her heartbeat to return to a normal rate. Crying softly, afraid to say more for fear of what might happen to her despite Leurre's orders, she let her head recline back to the table once again. As she relaxed, the guard shuffled back to join his brethren.

Goddess, please... I need help! Send someone to me, please!

A loud noise from the hallway outside brought her head up again. A series of crashes sounded and the heavy door was smashed inward. Rhyannon screamed, trying to roll aside, wanting to cover herself from flying debris. The chains held her fast, keeping her in place. A dead guard was thrown through the opening, the attorcroppe broken and bleeding. As the mangled body dropped to the floor, the guards in the cell rushed the doorway.

"Help me!" the Princess screamed. "Whoever you are, please, please help me!" As she yelled, she tugged and kicked at her chains, trying in vain to get free on her own. "Please help me!"

A wide, dark blade, metal rather than crystal, swept through the onrushing attorcroppes. The single blow severed two heads and shattered the shoulder of another guard, knocking him down with his dead comrades. The injured guard shrieked, writhing madly before dying.

Iron!

The thought echoed in Rhyannon's mind. The realization terrified her. She could feel the loathsome metal even from halfway across the cell.

"Keep it away!" she cried, attempting to throw herself off the side of the table opposite the foul metal. "Keep it back!"

She squirmed, pulling and kicking, screaming all the while, desperate to free herself, desperate to escape both her silver bindings and the iron sword.

"Rhyannon!" a strange voice called. "I'm here to help you! Princess Rhyannon Ensorcelledlight!"

Forcing herself to look, she gasped at the sight coming toward her.

It's him! Oh, thank you, Goddess, it's him at last!

The human man she had seen watching her bathe, the very one she had been praying so hard would come to her rescue was there! He knocked aside two more attorcroppes with his blade. Though their injuries were minor, the touch of the iron stole their lives away within moments.

A tan-skinned, orange-haired pixie darted into the cell after him.

"Hurry," the pixie said. "Just be careful not to touch her with that blade!"

"I know!" the human shouted back. "Just watch the door!"

He stepped close to her, holding the sword away, careful not to touch her with it. Still, Rhyannon flinched, crying out involuntarily at the sight and the very feel of the iron in the air.

"See?" the pixie said. "That foul thing has no place here! It's lethal to everyone on this side of the Veil! And we've got to hurry! Like I told you before we came in, we don't even have to see the iron. We can sense it, feel it! Hurry!"

The human stepped closer to her, still carefully holding the sword away from her.

"Hold perfectly still," he told her. "I don't want to hurt you but we need to hurry, as my friend says. I'm going to use my sword to cut you free but you have to hold still for me. Can you do that?"

She stared up into his depthless blue eyes, trying not to cringe at the sight of the massive human looming over her, drawing back the iron sword. It was the stuff of nightmares and terrors and now it was right there in her face. She tried to nod, but found she couldn't move.

"Do it!" the pixie screamed. "More guards will be along soon!"

"Hold very still," the human whispered to her.

The sword fell, rose and fell again three more times. With each downward swing of the blade, Rhyannon gasped, bracing herself to feel the heavy blade scything into her flesh, the cold touch of the iron bringing the cold touch of death. Instead, all she felt was the slackening of her chains.

The human held out his free hand to her, keeping the sword well away in his other. Gently, he helped her from the table and supported her while she rubbed circulation back into numbed legs and regained her balance.

"Are you okay?" he asked her, deep voice soft.

She smiled up at him. "I will be. Thank you."

He's so tall...

She continued to lean against him for support, her head barely reaching the middle of his chest.

"Where's your clothing?" he asked.

"They took it from me. I don't know where it is. It doesn't matter." She grinned up at him, already finding herself relaxing in his presence. "We fey are at ease with nudity. It's you humans, I hear, that have problems with being naked."

Taking a few tentative steps, she moved toward the destroyed ruins of the heavy door. She was wary of more guards, but saw and heard nothing yet.

"You know my name," she told him, "but I don't know yours. If you'll trust me with it, I'll promise thrice, with blood, never to use it against you. I'd like to know the name of my rescuer."

He turned her gently and she looked up into his eyes. The devotion she saw there made her gasp.

"There's no need for such an oath. I trust you. I'm Prince Leofrick Wykeham. We'll talk more once we're free of this place."

The pixie drifted in closer, saying, "And I, Princess, and Aspen Skyflyer. I, too, trust you."

"Thank you," she said, barely glancing at the pixie, her attention commanded by the human. "Thank you both."

"Let's go," Aspen said. "Quickly, before more guards show up!"

"One moment," she said. "There's something I must do, something I've already waited far too long for."

Before either of her rescuers could speak, she stood on tiptoe and reached up to embrace Leofrick, pulling his mouth down to her own. She kissed him, worshiping his lips with her own, tasting him over and over before reluctantly letting him go. As they kissed, she could feel the arousal her touch inspired in his body.

1...678910...25