Loving Deeply Gives You Courage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the two year mark he was mobile with a walker and could maneuver a wheelchair pretty much anywhere. He still had no idea of who he was.

One day Sarah and Ron were talking about courage especially the kind of courage it takes to persevere the way he had.

"I remember a quotation a friend once told me. "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

It felt like a lightning bolt hit him. It was a flash of memory like a vision. He saw a beautiful bride standing before him speaking these same words. He had no idea who she was but his heart was suddenly filled with a love and longing that he could never imagine.

"Are you alright?" Sarah asked nervously.

"I am ok but I think I have had a flash back. I think I am married."

"Wonderful, your memories are returning. Take it slow. They could seem overwhelming."

Back home Anna was still keeping the store afloat. Her daughter would be in the store all day with her, her attention divided between sales and child care. She had given up any hope that her husband would come home to her. Regardless of what the military said she knew that his mission was highly sensitive and they would never give her closure.

While in therapy to deal with her grief she had met Richard. Richard had been helpful in her recovery. He was always there to listen to her or be a shoulder to cry on.

Richard wanted very much to be more than a friend to her however she was reluctant and kept him solidly in the friend zone. Ron still was her husband even if he was lost.

After a year and half the world seemed to think that Anna should get on with her life and be willing to accept Richard as her lover. She fought that off for another three months. After still no news on Ron she finally agreed to accept Richard's proposal and set a date to marry him.

Ron worked hard on his physical recovery. He was getting stronger but was warned that he would need walking aids for the rest of his life. He continued to have flashbacks to the image of his wife in her gown offering that quotation to him. More memories came back to him, images of his cadet days, scouts, high school and Anna Fowler. Oh man, I just remembered my wife's name! That realization brought more memories included his military career and the emergency contact phone number and password. He knew who he was at last.

Sarah provided a phone for him so he punched in the number, pass code and waited. Ten rings in a voice requested an identity code, he gave the identity number, he waited in silence.

"Confirm identity repeat."

He gave the number and again waited.

"Welcome back from the dead Major Griggs. You are ordered to stay sequestered in place. Do not contact anyone. Expect an escort within an hour and we will get you home sir."

Ron gave Sarah a huge hug and kiss. Thanking her for all she and her husband did for him. He got in the black SUV and was soon winging his way back home.

Once back at HQ he was debriefed. The medical staff confirmed his condition. They thoroughly checked for drugs that could have been used in interrogation, he was clean. His CO told him to take some time, go home for some R and R, see the family.

The train trip home took forever as it always did. He had bought a new mobile phone and had tried his wife's number but got no response. When the train pulled into the station he picked up his bags and using his crutches he hobbled his way through the town towards Anna's home. As it happened his route took him right by the furniture store. When he tried the door it was locked. Looking up he saw the sign on the door.

CLOSED FOR WEDDING!

Open for business next Monday

Please feel welcome to join us

St. James Chapel

Saturday May 10th 2pm

What the fuck!

She is married to me. Then it dawned on him, she would believe he had been dead for two years. Of course she would move on. He checked his watch. Shit, he might just make it.

He hobbled as fast as he could along the sidewalk till he got to the church. He struggled up the steps, entered the church and stood at the back.

Anna and Richard stood in front of the altar. Ron had a flashback to his wedding day. No, he said to himself, stay in the present. He tried to determine where they were in the ceremony. Then he heard the minister say "speak now or forever hold your peace."

"I have an reason. She is already married to me!" Ron's voice wavered as he spoke. Partially physical damage to his vocal cords and partially emotional.

Everyone turned to see him standing there in the middle of the aisle, supported by two crutches, panting from the effort. Anna's eyes grew huge, she screamed and fainted. All hell seemed to break loose in the church. A crowd surrounded the fallen bride who remained unconscious. Ten minutes later she was loaded into an ambulance for a ride to the hospital.

The scene in the waiting room was a shit show. Who was the next of kin? The not yet husband or the formerly dead husband? Ron was sure that if he hadn't been crippled Richard would have knocked his block off. The doctors said that Anna was conscious and had asked to see Ron Griggs.

Ron shuffled his way into the room. Anna was sitting propped up on a hospital bed still wearing her gown. Before she had a chance to speak he said "That is a lovely gown you are wearing Mrs. Griggs, you are a sight for sore eyes."

Anna's eyes filled with tears. "Oh my God Ron I thought you were dead. I waited two years hoping, praying that you would come back to me. It is just like you to finally get here just when I abandoned all hope."

He walked over and embraced her, kissed her and took hold of her hand.

"Anna, I know this is hard for you, and you have many questions. I promise that I will give you all the answers that I can. You have some hard choices to make and I am afraid one you will need to make soon is whether you delay the wedding. You don't have to make a rushed decision about the rest of your life. I know that I have been declared dead but here I am, a man who is still in love with you. I want to explain my absence but it will take time and this isn't the time or the place. It might help you if I simply say I was in a massive accident as you can see. I can't walk without these crutches. Just like my body my mind was injured. I had no idea who I was. As soon as I regained memory I left for home and here I am, a man who loves you and still wants to spend the rest of his life with you."

"I think the wedding is definitely off for the time being. I need time to think. I am so happy you are alive and here right now. Please understand how confused I am right now. I need to speak to Richard, can you send him in?"

Ron kissed her again then walked out of the room. He nodded to Richard and gestured toward the door.

Richard walked through the door and gave Anna a hug. "Well that didn't exactly go as a planned."

"He is alive Richard, my husband is alive!"

"No, legally your husband is dead. I don't care what kind of cock and bull story he comes up with he abandoned you for two years!"

"I can't abandon him now he has come back home. He has been badly injured. It would be cruel to not let him explain what happened."

"So you will abandon me instead?"

"No, but I can hardly go ahead with a marriage to you can I?"

"Of course you fucking can. We have a license that says that we can. Legally you and I could exchange vows now, right here. In the eyes of the law he doesn't exist."

"I am sorry Richard, your reasoning and your attitude are making my decision much easier than I thought. Thank you for that. Now please leave."

Anna was released after an overnight stay for observation. Ron had waited there all night. They took a taxi back to her home.

After changing into a pair of sweats Anna sat down in the living room with Ron. He appeared nervous, anxious, fidgety. She felt nothing but love for this man and she hated to see him like this. She broke the silence.

"Ron there is so much to talk about that I don't know where to start. Have you had time to catch up?"

"No, I had a medical and a full debrief at HQ before they would release me to come home. I came straight here. I saw the sign in the store window and I just made it to the church to make sure you knew I was still alive."

"Thank God you did! First things first Ron, you remember our first night after you finished special training?"

"How could I forget the most erotic moment of my life!?"

"Well let's just say that evening was very productive, as in reproductive. In other words Ron you are a father!"

"Oh my God really?!" He embraced her in a hug. Darling I love you so much! What is her name, where is she?"

"Her name is Rachel Anna Griggs and she is beautiful little girl. I can't wait for you to meet her. She is with a baby sitter for the week since I am supposed to be on my honeymoon."

"Oh yes, the wedding. How was your conversation with Richard?"

"Not good. He was not amused that the day was ruined. I know he was disappointed but he didn't understand why I would even consider going back to you after abandonment. You were declared dead which made it possible for he and I to marry. He asked me a year ago and I kept putting him off but at the two year mark I abandoned hope. He has been very supportive and I think I love him for that."

"I assume this will be a legal nightmare. I am legally dead, you are legally betrothed, the license is valid. If you said no to him would he have legal recourse? What is my status?"

"Can you tell me what happened to you?"

Ron told her what happened, leaving out sensitive information the military wouldn't want divulged. He also said nothing about Sarah Verstapen's unorthodox therapy.

"Total memory loss, that must have been terrifying."

"It was. It was you that brought me back to myself. Remember that quotation you read for me at our wedding?"

"Yes of course, Yao Tsu!"

"My therapist quoted it to me and it brought back the memory of that day. It was your lovely face in your lovely gown that drew me back to myself and back to you. If you will have me."

"Rest easy Ron, you are my first and last husband. Of course I will have you. Richard's attitude yesterday sealed his fate. I love you Ron Griggs."

The marriage resumed in full! Major Griggs was granted an honourable discharge. Rebecca Anna Griggs was his delight and she loved her daddy.

The whole family gathered on the sidewalk outside the furniture store to watch the new sign revealed. The canvas pulled away and there it was...Fowler-Griggs Furniture!

12