Loving Lydia

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After the first month, I had plump savings from helping Bev plant onions, wheat, and garlic. We went over the upkeep for the plants, how to best take care of her plot, and what she could do next year. More people reached out to get assistance on their land or do extra work around the house and I welcomed it all. Although I still wasn't invited to hang out with the ladies of the village, I felt more at ease being out and about. The men also seemed to back off and some have even asked for assistance when they saw all of the services I had to offer.

The cottage is coming along fine with the extra money and supplies I can afford to buy. I'm surprised at how much we have fixed up by the time I hear back from Tom. Timmy and Cindy will be arriving soon. The cottage is now fixed up enough to live in, just needs more touch ups, which Timmy can help with. I get excited at the prospect of seeing them both again. They're the closest thing I have to a family. It is also nerve wrecking imagining them meeting Lydia. They will instantly notice a change in my demeanor when she is around. My body gravitates towards her and I look like I'm ready to protector from whatever comes her way. It's embarrassing and I'm sure others have noticed but no one has come to us with pitchforks and fires just yet. I hope they don't make a big deal out of it. Cindy has always wanted me to settle down and start my own family, however unconventional it was.

There is also the underlying danger of having them here. Although I know Timmy is careful, they could still be followed. Not only that, but word may spread about the newcomers or someone might recognize them and stir some problems. I don't want any of this tracing back to Lydia. I want to be as quiet about their visit as possible. No need to bring in a parade or even have them go into town. But that won't work. They have to go to town. People will eventually notice the cottage with smoke coming out the chimney while Lydia and I are back home. Plus, we could play up the story of siblings visiting and set us up for future missions. No one will ask too many questions if they know the people here can be trusted. Right?

"You almost done here?" Lydia comes to stand next to me and I hit the last nail on the head for the day.

"Yes. You can get Jerry ready. I'll be right out." I gather the tools and turn off all the candles. It's darker than I thought.

"That's not his name." She shakes her head in a teasing way but walks out to do as I asked.

I walk beside them on the way back. The same way I did the first night she showed me the cottage. We both know why and have made an effort not to repeat the same mistake.

"I have two friends who will be visiting soon." I look up at her.

Her hair looks a few shades darker in the night light. It's braided to the side, away from her stunning face.

"Okay." She nibbles on her bottom lip. "How long are they staying?"

I shrug. "Hard to say. They're just looking for a place to stay in the meantime. Not too long if it is an inconvenience."

She shrugs back. "It's your cottage, I don't care how long they stay."

I feel uncomfortable at the thought of owning anything that I didn't earn.

"Will you be leaving when they leave?" She looks straight ahead when I look up.

"I don't know." I answer honestly.

"Then I hope they stay for a while." She runs her hands against Jerry's mane.

******

Jody comes rushing into Lydia's home a week later, white as a sheet.

"Kit! They're here." She yanks on my shirt sleeve and drags me out the door.

Lydia follows close behind, still wearing her work dress. I look back and see a nervous look in her eyes but she forces a smile on her lips.

"Slow down, Jody. I'm sure they're not going anywhere." I try to slow down the anxious ache rolling up my spine. I have to play this cool, I thought they would be in tomorrow night but today works just as good as any other day.

"Well, it's just-" She stops in her tracks and points across the road.

There's a small group of people gathered around two people causing a commotion.

Oh shit.

I rush over but not before stopping Jody and giving Lydia a warning look. She needs to stay back and away from this. I push past some nosy neighbors and hear Cindy's thick southern accent cut through the hot afternoon.

"Is this how you treat all newcomers?" I see the top of her orange head and grind my teeth. Of course, that firework is ready to pop.

"Now, we here are very civilized people." I see Joseph talk down to her. He's wearing his dark suit with his top hat. He couldn't look further down at her without having it tip over. "But only to those who deserve it."

"Honey, let's just keep calm." Timmy interjects very quietly to his heated wife. His blonde head is covered by a worn-out hat and he looks like he hasn't slept in days. Both of them are probably wearing the same thing they did when they started their journey here and they have nothing but a few belongings in their hands. I'm sure Joseph likes the feeling of overpowering these simpletons in wealth, stature, and pretty much anything else. They continue to bicker back and forth to the fascination of the town.

Before I can place myself between them, I hear Lydia's voice crystal clear in the distance.

"What is going on here?" She walks up to the crowd and everyone turns to face her. Those in her way scurry under her stare and she stops in front of the trio, center stage.

"Lydia," Joseph melts at the sight of her. He takes her hand in his and bows to kiss it. "Please don't concern yourself dear. I will take care of these individuals at once."

Cindy's cheeks heat up and I can tell she's either about to burst in tears or curse him to the deepest levels of Hell. Timmy sees it too, which prompts him to wrap her arms around her waist and shush her as quietly as he can.

"Do you mean my cousin and her husband?" Lydia retrieves her hand and manages to reprimand him with those words.

A heavy silence falls on all of those around us.

I glare at her and shake my head. She turns her nose up at me and directs her attention back to Joseph.

"What do you plan on doing with my dear cousin, Mr. Bingham?" She raises a hand to her chest and her face takes on a worried look.

Joseph immediately straightens up and begins to shake his head. "Oh, don't you worry. I am going to make sure they are most welcomed here." He grabs her hand and places it on his chest. "I promise you. I will take care of them during their stay."

Her small frown turns into a sweet smile and she bows her head. "I would really appreciate that."

My stomach turns at the way his eyes fall down to her chest when she bows but he turns to the others in the group and begins to shoo them away. By the time it is just the four of us, I all but want to take Lydia over my shoulder and shut her in her bedroom. Instead, I turn to Cindy and Timmy, who Lydia introduces to Joseph and I.

"Please, excuse my cousin Mr. Bingham. She's had a long ride and I think she's tired and hungry." Lydia wraps her arms around Cindy and Timmy, both of which have not stopped staring at her. "As you can see, she has enough hunger for two." She points to Cindy's small baby bump. Shit, another thing to worry about.

"Nonsense! She is a charming lady." Joseph smiles. "Why, I can have a room ready for them in half an hour and a nice meal ready before bed. I wish I knew of their visit. I would have made them feel like royalty."

I cross my arms and try to tune out his words. There is only so much hypocrisy I can witness.

"Oh, I am sorry I did not inform you, Mr. Bingham." Lydia touches his arm and leans in a little too close for my comfort. "I promise not to do that again. And don't worry about where they will stay, we have that taken care of." He babbles something and she laughs. She turns to them with bright eyes. "Are you two ready? We have the cottage ready for you."

Cindy nods her head in amazement and Timmy picks up their small bag.

"If you need anything at all, do not hesitate to call on me, Lydia." He bows down and waves as we all walk back.

I let out a long breath once we are out of hearing range. "Jesus, Cindy, you couldn't keep it cool for five minutes?"

Cindy turns back to see if he's still there, I do too, and am relieved when he isn't. "He started it."

"It's his town." I give her a warning look. "He's just protecting it."

"It's not his town." Lydia looks over at Cindy.

"He has the money. He runs the town." I correct her.

We walk in silence until we reach Lydia's house. I start getting Jerry ready and Lydia goes inside to grab some things for the cottage.

"It's good to see you." Timmy looks at me with teary eyes.

I sigh and take him in for a big hug. "Didn't think I was going to see you again." I pat his back and pull back with glossy eyes. I turn to Cindy and give her a tight hug as well. "Soon I won't be able to wrap my arms around you." I tease and lightly touch the small bump in her belly.

She swats at my shoulder but gives me a tender smile. "It's really good to see you, Kit."

******

After getting them settled in and feeding them, Lydia pulls out a big bottle of clear liquor.

"Thought you guys might need this." She puts it on the table and gets up to grab some cups.

Timmy gives her an impressed look and I sit back on the small couch. Cindy is on the floor sitting near the dying fire. So far, they've been tight lipped about their journey here. I know Cindy is probably really tired but doesn't want us to leave just yet. She has taken a real liking to Lydia and I'm sure it has a lot to do with their similar personalities. Timmy also seems to want the night to continue for just a while longer. I'm more than happy to be the distraction that they need right now.

"Would you like some tea, Cindy? Or maybe some coffee?" Lydia brings the black pot near the fire.

"Tea should be good." Cindy looks back at me but too late I realize I've been watching Lydia this whole time as she moves around the place. She sticks out her tongue when I give her a look.

"How did you two meet?" Cindy asks Lydia when we all settle down with our drinks.

Lydia looks in my direction, waiting to see if I will answer. When I don't, she shrugs and start telling them about a frail girl she found on the side of the road, full of bruises, cuts, and practically being boiled by the sun.

Timmy shifts in his chair and takes a sip of his drink.

"Why did you save her?" Cindy blows on her tea and leans back against the couch, near my legs.

Lydia's face turns pensive and I hold my breath until she speaks. "I knew it wasn't her time. She's stubborn like that."

I can't help the smile that takes over my lips.

"Thank you," Timmy raises his cup to her.

She bows her head slightly.

We continue the rest of the night talking about how I met Timmy and Cindy, careful not to mention anything about what we actually do and keep everything superficial. I can tell Lydia wants to tell them that she knows but she doesn't want to overstep. I would rather tell them when she's not around just to prepare for their reaction. Well, mostly for Cindy's reaction. This is one secret we have promised to take to our graves. Mostly because we don't want anyone who's not involved to be affected negatively by what they know.

"I think you two should rest. We'll have plenty of time to talk after today." I get up and help Lydia clean everything up. Timmy and Cindy walk us out and hug us goodbye as we leave with Jerry.

The walk back is silent. I stare down at my feet, thinking about the conversation waiting for me tomorrow. I need to know what happened to them. How they ended up in this predicament. What would have happened if I had nowhere for them to stay? What if I was dead? I need to write to Tom, let him know they're safe. Start preparing for the next couple of weeks. We will need to do a lot but it'll be much easier between the three of us.

Once we get to Lydia's house, I help her down and tie Jerry up as she opens her door. I walk in straight into my room, still thinking about what is to come.

"Can you stop pouting?" Lydia comes into my room.

I sit on my bed and begin removing my shoes. "I'm not pouting." Not really. I've tried very hard not to think about the way she was staring at Joseph and the way he responded to her.

She comes to kneel in front of me and helps me remove my shoes.

"I did what I had to do." She tosses the second shoe aside and looks up at me. Her honeyed eyes take me in.

I trail my finger down her cheek. "Do you realize you have all the men wrapped around your finger?"

Her cheek turns pink but she turns her head to kiss my finger. "Don't you see, everything I do is for you?"

My chest blossoms at her words and I watch as she leaves and closes the door behind her.

******

The next day is spent catching up on all that I have missed since I've been gone and going over what still needs fixing around the cottage.

"I can't believe you're being careless." Cindy shakes her head. She drops some wood by the front entrance and kisses Timmy on the lips. "I'm glad you're not as dumb as Kit."

Timmy snickers. "We both know Kit is smarter than everyone we know combined."

She shrugs. "That was before she went and fell in love with the mayor's mistress."

I put my paint brush down and give her a leveled look. "He's not the mayor and he is definitely not sleeping with her." The anger is stupid, just as stupid as the jealousy.

"So, you are in love?" Timmy moves on to the next wooden board to saw through. His usually fair skin is shades darker from working in the sun and exerting his energy all morning. He'll never complain though. His easy nature is a stark contrast to his wife's.

"Well, shit." I kick the floor. "I mean, no. She's off limits." No really but there is no reason to get my hopes up.

"She's married?" Her blue eyes widen. "I mean, of course she is. She's too pretty to be single."

"Technically no." I go back to painting. "But I don't need to involve her in this lifestyle. She's a woman of God."

"If she were a woman of God she wouldn't have fallen in love with another woman." Cindy quips. When I give her no response, she goes back out to grab some more wood.

"I forgot what a pain in the ass she could be." I tell Timmy.

He laughs but continues cutting through the wood, not daring to speak any ill word about his lover.

"So, what is your plan?" Cindy comes back with more wood. "Stay here, build a life with her, get shunned by these small-minded town folk, and eventually stoned to death?" She takes a seat on the couch and rubs her belly. I can't believe she traveled days while being pregnant. I have to hand it to her, Cindy may be a lot of things, but determined is number one.

"No." I move on to paint the other wall and give her my back. "She knows I will leave soon." It doesn't come out as confident as I want it to.

"Are you taking her with you?" She doesn't sound upset at the thought. Wouldn't that be something. I barely entertain it.

"No," I put the brush down. "You guys were chased out because of what we do. I wouldn't put her through that."

"Have you told her so? Give her a choice?" One of her eyebrows goes up. "Because I have a feeling our Miss Lydia is a lot stronger than you give her credit for."

"I won't give her the option. She has a life here. I don't plan on disrupting it." My anger is coming back and I know I will have to leave soon. Having Cindy throw every question that pops into her mind at me is starting to get old. Especially when most of them have to do with the one person I'm trying very hard to detach myself from.

"A little too late for that." She quiets down when she sees my face.

******

It takes us another two weeks to finish up with the last repairs on the cottage.

"I wish we could stay here forever." Cindy sighs after dinner. Her cheeks are especially rosy tonight after the big meal we've had the privilege to eat. Lydia was able to purchase some extra chickens from Rhonda, who lives down the street.

The four of us are gathered at the small table in the cottage. I'm across from Lydia, trying not to stare at her as the flames from the candles dance around her smooth face. Her hair is in a braid again, but the color compliments her eyes tonight. Anytime we make eyes contact her look softens and I'm enthralled. I don't need any more teasing from Cindy, which has me looking elsewhere more often than not.

"You are more than welcome to stay forever." Lydia smiles at both of them.

Timmy smiles back but Cindy is less inclined to play along.

"I'm sorry did I say something wrong?" Lydia gives me an apologetic look when Cindy sits up straighter.

I shake my head but Cindy speaks up.

"Just how much do you know about us?" Her tone isn't as suspicious as her eyes are.

Lydia's face turns stoic. I motion for Cindy to knock it off.

"I know enough." Lydia meets my eyes.

"I doubt that." Cindy ignores Timmy's warning and continues. "Do you know how or why Kit ended up here in the middle of nowhere?"

We're all silent. This dinner is about to turn sour.

"And I know just as well that she would do it all over again even if she knew it would have the same outcome." Cindy's clear eyes turn misty. "Because Kit has an enormous heart. So, even if I wanted to stay here for the rest of my life, and even though she would let me, I know we could never. For the exact same reason she almost lost her life. Because too many lives depend on us." Her eyes turn watery and she's practically wailing by the time Timmy has his arms wrapped around her.

"I'm sorry, I think it's the baby hormones that have her a bit rattled." He apologizes to us.

Lydia reaches over and grips her shoulder. "I'm truly sorry."

I motion for us to leave for the night and Timmy waves as Cindy cries against his chest.

******

"It could work." Timmy is the first to speak up.

We're all huddled near the fireplace. Lydia is at home probably wondering when I will be back. But looking at Cindy and Timmy now, I know I'm where I should be. We're going over different uses this little cottage can have for us in the near future. Timmy has given this as much thought as I have and we seem to agree on a lot of things.

"As soon as I'm back to normal, we will go back." Cindy crosses her arms. Of course, she finds something wrong with it. I see the internal dilemma behind her cold reception.

"You don't worry about what's going on back east." I try to order her. But ordering Cindy around is like trying to tame a wild horse. It'll play nice when it benefits it but could throw it all to shit when it feels like it. While both of them have done their part in our mission, Cindy is not as calculated and careful as the rest of us. Which makes Timmy take on double the work for them. Yet, it is Cindy who everyone would run to when problems arose. She has a fighting spirit. Not having either of them with us will sting a bit, but it is only for a short time.

"You expect us to be here for over a year and not worry about what you guys will be doing back home?" She scoffs.

"I expect you both to stay here, have your baby, recover and help with anything that might come along the way." I explain again. "At first, I thought this cottage would be a perfect halfway house to the north but it won't do. People will get curious. They'll want to stop by and it's a risk I can't take. Not when Lydia is involved. Not when you two will have a newborn here to take care of. So, why not just use it as a storage space. Gather as many supplies as you can, save as much money as you can and send it over when we need it."

That way they can enjoy their time with their new born, not have the constant stresses that they would have back home, but still help out as best as they can. They don't know it yet but I'm hoping to make this a permanent proposition for them. They could stay here and raise a family away from the danger. I know Cindy wants to be front and center for all of it but she has quickly realized having a kid changes everything. She doesn't want to say here but she's thinking of the life she could provide her child with. It is a best-case scenario for us all.

1...456789