All Comments on 'Lupercalia'

by LingeringAfterthought

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks, Only!

It's honestly just pure laziness. I looked around for the real story of Valentine's day, thought about the time period, and came up with a reason for a couple people to have sex and meet the priest that married people to keep them from getting drafted into the army. There were actually a few people who may have inspired the story of St. Valentine - I just picked the Roman one because the Lupercalia festival came during mid-February. So, you see? Lazy, lazy, lazy. You want to see hard-working creative people, go over to Science Fiction.

Thanks again!

Leaping_HindLeaping_Hindover 3 years ago
Excellent and I don't buy that doing research is lazy.

This is the first of your stories I have read. Enjoyed it!. Romance, historical, evil vs.. good contrasted with the grey area in between. I will read all your stories! Also, your profile made me laugh. It's very clever too.

I am new to signing in as a user. Haven't written anything yet, but expect I will. Ideas abound.

Thank you for yours.

KinPAKinPAover 3 years ago

This was a good read. It begs for continuation, but even if it doesn’t get any, it’s still a good read!

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks Leaping_Hind! I hope you enjoy them. I'm still working on wrapping up the What Dreams series, but it's probably 1 away from being done - and that 1 chapter is 2/3 done. I promise not to George RR Martin things up with that. Looking forward to reading your stuff when you put some out!

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks KinPA! I liked the characters, so they might just reappear sometime. Who wouldn't want to have adventures in Gaul?

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
Interesting And Inventive

A good short story for this competition. And different.

JaceyTreyJaceyTreyover 3 years ago

Very well done! Given the climate of today, it's often forgotten that those, in the earliest existence of the religion that Valentine followed, were eager to help anyone in need, in danger.

Including the fish was what started my realization of where you were headed. There was a time, when followers of Valentine's God were prime examples of sacrificial love. Thank you for writing this.

A truly amazing love story. I would love to read more of their adventures to, and in, Gaul!

You did well!

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks Ravey! My brain bounces around, so 'different' is a high compliment for me!

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks JaceyTrey! I wanted to write about the real Valentine (or one of them) but really, how do you get a priest into feel-good erotica, I ask you? I also figured that rascally group was best suited to be sympathetic to those being hunted in Rome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Loved the little twist at the end! And love the Lupercalia setting. Would love to hear more of their adventures, especially what Gaius gets up to...

LingeringAfterthoughtLingeringAfterthoughtover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks, Anonymous! I had to get the twist in there - it was my Valentine's entry! I like Gaius, too. He's funny and doesn't take things too seriously.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLingeringAfterthought@LingeringAfterthought
04/08/24 - Still alive, writing and doing stuff. Had one of those stretches where stories are spinning on my head, but life didn't let me write. Now, I'm working on a new story for Geek Pride... if they're having Geek Pride this year. Karen Saves the Universe: Aliens kidna...