Mae

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's the price?" Mae cried, horrified.

Isaiah sat up, his cheeks coloring as he leaned close to her. Ruth's hands went to her mouth as she looked around at all of the people who were staring at them. "It's alright, Mae. Things are very different here, this is normal."

Mae dropped the paper and stood up, shaking her head and looking around at everyone. "No! No, it ISN'T alright! Look at that! It costs more for a slice of veal and gravy for lunch than my father makes in a whole season! This isn't right! That you just frivol this money away in such extravagance while there are people out there going hungry because they can't afford a few potatoes! Let alone meat! You should all be ashamed of yourselves!" she yelled at everyone angrily, then stormed out.

Mae didn't head to the carriage, she turned and started down the street, her legs carrying her as quickly as they could without actually running.

She had expected Ruth to catch up with her and scold her, be angry at her outburst. Tell her she had embarrassed her and that she should probably go home. She was prepared for it, not even caring anymore. It hurt her heart to think that they could spend on a single lunch what her father made in a whole year.

She was surprised when it was Isaiah that caught up to her, she hadn't thought the old man would be able to move that quickly.

He said nothing, just took her arm and pulled it through his arm and slowed her to a more normal walk, as if they were just two people walking. She expected an admonishment, or a lecture on propriety, but it did not come. Isaiah looked around at the scenery and walked with her slowly until they reached a large park.

"We can cut through here," he told her softly, motioning to a walkway through the trees and flowers.

He went quiet again and Mae peeked up at him. He didn't look out of breath or strained in any way, though she half thought he might have. She wondered if he was waiting for an apology. "I ain't sorry," she told him.

"I understand," he nodded. "I don't know why I thought that was a good idea. Ruth thinks so highly of it, I suppose I thought you might enjoy it as well. I can see I was wrong, and I can see why I was wrong. I already knew that wealth and society meant little to you, I'm not sure what made me think it might impress you. Please forgive me."

Mae felt uncomfortable and tense. "I think perhaps I should go..."

"Miss James, please... don't leave for my mistake. Ruth adores you and Lilli would be lost without you. And Ruth may never forgive me if you don't stay at least past this weekend and the party Friday evening?"

"Ruth hates me now."

"I can assure you that she does not. She almost came after you herself, but I bid her see the carriage home and wait for us there. She is worried and is afraid she offended you."

"You should have let her come! You might overexert your heart, you are too old to be running after people and walking around the city!"

Isaiah gave her an offended look. "Just how old do you think I am, Mae? I'm not even yet 50!"

Mae looked up at him incredulously. "If you are a day younger than 60, I will..."

"I am 48," he snapped, his face red.

Mae gave him a dubious look, then reassessed him. Perhaps he might only be 48, even if his hair and trimmed beard were completely white. Still, he was too old to be running around the city!

By the time they arrived back to the huge house, Ruth was already there, waiting. She ran to Mae as soon as they came in and hugged her close. "Mae! Mae, you shouldn't have run off! You could have gotten lost, or...! Mae! I hope you don't truly think us all spoiled! Things are so very different here! Even so...," she giggled, leaning close. "Sir Dennings son, Reese hailed me as I was leaving and asked after you. He said he should like to meet you and hear more of your views!"

"A liberal," Isaiah scoffed with a scowl. "Seems all of the younger men his age are finding it fascinating to talk about and twit their fathers with! Reese though, he speaks dangerously!"

"Oh, Uncle!" Ruth giggled. "Let us not go into that! Mae, do say you aren't truly upset? Come, let's go see the baby and show Lilli your new dress!" she called happily, pulling Mae up the stairs.

Mae let herself get distracted with the baby and talking to Lilli, not leaving the house again until the evening of the party.

Ruth was excitedly talking so fast Mae couldn't get a word in as her hair was done and she was put into a dress so fine she had never imagined such a beautiful thing existed.

She felt like even more of an imposter than she had before!

When she let Ruth lead her down, she couldn't place the look on Isaiah's face. He almost looked worried as he looked her over? Perhaps he was starting to feel like she was one of his nieces. He himself was dressed as usual in his fine suit, and though it was very nice, he looked the same as he always did, so it almost seemed a bit drab in comparison.

He helped them both into the carriage and Mae had to tug her hand out of his when she went to sit down. He looked even more stressed as they started out.

"Uncle, are you unwell?" Ruth asked, finally interrupting herself and her talk of who was going to be there.

"Fine, Ruthie."

"You seem nervous? Are you hoping to see someone there?" she asked excitedly. "A lady?!? Who is it? You MUST tell me!" she smiled, bounding across the carriage to sit with her uncle and clutching his arm.

Isaiah blushed and his eyes flickered to Mae for a moment before he smiled a tight lipped smile at Ruth. "No, Ruthie, there is no lady I am hoping to see," he told her gently.

"Uncle! You really MUST get over your aversion to women! I know you claim you have no want for a wife, but I think you need only find the right one! Tell me you will at least allow yourself to think on it? Perhaps look around this evening and see if anyone might strike your fancy?"

Isaiah turned to look out the window, sitting up straight. "As it happens, niece, I did retract my opinion. I found a lovely woman and asked after her, but... she found me wanting and passed."

"That is simply ridiculous! Perhaps she was only playing hard to get? You should ask after her again, and again until she says yes! And if she does not? Well, she obviously has very poor taste and she does not deserve you!" Ruth proclaimed with a nod.

"I don't think it was a game, Ruth, she was very adamant in her dismissal of me and even disdainful that I had dared ask."

"Who is she then that she would scoff at an offer from you?" Ruth demanded angrily. "Who was it?"

Mae felt her face heating. "How old was this woman?" she asked Isaiah, wanting him to tell Ruth the whole truth. "Was she widowed and perhaps too old and not wanting a husband? Or young enough that she might have want of her own children someday, something you would not be able to provide, obviously."

"Oh!" Ruth flinched, stunned. "Uncle Isaiah isn't so old that he could still have many children!"

Mae looked at Ruth, her expression flat. "So if a man his age asked after you, you would step out with him?"

Ruth blushed, drawing up slightly. "Well... I... I would suppose it would depend on who... and..." Ruth squirmed uncomfortably.

"It doesn't matter," Isaiah spoke softly. "The woman said no and that is that."

"Was it Lady Chilress? She's been widowed almost twenty years now," Ruth asked him.

Isaiah's face went bright red as he looked at his niece in horror. "Lady Chilress is almost eighty!"

"But thirty years the other direction is supposed to be fine so long as the girl is the younger one?" Mae demanded.

Isaiah flinched this time, then turned to look sourly out his window.

"So it was a younger woman?" Ruth persisted.

"We are almost there, Ruthie," Isaiah drew himself up. "I know you have been introduced to everyone, but remember that Miss James has not. I will stay close if you wish introductions."

"Thank you Uncle!" Ruth breathed happily, moving back to sit next to Mae and join arms with her as they looked out the window.

Isaiah looked Mae over again while she wasn't looking and his heart ached as he did. He was a fool to think a girl so young and lovely and carefree could look at a man like him and see anything but an old cad chasing after skirts. She didn't care who he was or his wealth, she looked at him and saw an old man and that was all.

"Why are we waiting?" Mae asked as they stopped and sat there.

"We are in line to be dropped off," Ruth told her. "We'll move up all the way to the doors and be let out. Only the lesser lords and ladies walk all the way up and don't get dropped off. Oh, look! That's Lord Veleer and his son Rudolpho! His mother is from Mareshomese! He's so exotic and beautiful, but he isn't one of the higher lords. In fact, they are putting too much stock in themselves for dropping off and not walking! He is beautiful though!"

"Why should it matter how much lord there is in him if you like him?" Mae asked softly. "He is very handsome, isn't he? A bit tall for my taste."

"Every man is a bit tall for you," Ruth giggled. "It just matters. It's not socially acceptable for me to step out with anyone from the lesser families."

"That seems ridiculous! And all of this... according to you I shouldn't be here at all! I'm even less than one of the servants! A farmer's daughter and 'hedge witch' as you all call me. Oh! She is lovely! Who is she?"

"That's Lady Danalla. She looks lovely, but she is beautiful like a snake, be careful of her. She wed Old Lord Bashell almost on his deathbed and now she comes back here to toy in her brothers affairs. Lord Callan is her brother, he is the only son of Lord and Lady Ingram. This is their party, it's her birthday! The Lady Ingram's. She has a grand ball every year and it's always a grand affair!"

"This Lord Callan, is he someone you could step out with?"

"Oh, of course! If he ever looked my direction!" she laughed. "He's as beautiful as his sister and he's been known to be choosy over the women he speaks to. Oh! That's Lord Olingale and his daughter! I've not met her yet, she is just coming into society! I'd heard she'd been introduced over the summer while we were gone! I shall love to speak with her! Her brother... he is probably already here with his friend Lord Gilliam. Gil and Ray are the best of friends! Them and Cal too!"

"And how has young Ray been?" Isaiah asked idly, giving his niece a tight smirk.

Ruth sat up, looking at him and blushing. "What have you heard?!?" she demanded breathlessly.

He smiled and looked out the window, his eyes sparkling. "Only that he may have stopped in at your mothers once or twice over the summer until he discovered that a certain young lady was gone for the summer. Also... that perhaps he hadn't been going to attend tonight until he discovered that a certain young lady was back and was going to be in attendance. He sent word right away that he was accepting after already replying that he wasn't."

Ruth bith her lip, her eyes lighting up with joy as she tried to suppress a smile.

Isaiah's smile widened slightly as he continued to look out the window.

When they finally reached the front, Isaiah was quick to step out first and help the two girls out in place of the servants who were there to do that. They each took one of his arms as he led them in, Ruth motioning Mae to do it as they started in.

Mae felt a bit ridiculous, not understanding this custom of only being allowed to be there with a man and not being allowed to speak to a man she had not met without a man she knew introducing her. It was ridiculous and she wondered how people ever got around to talking if all they did was introduce people over and over again.

Ruth was still whispering excitedly as they went in and Mae was dismayed to see another line of people.

"What's this for?" she asked.

"To be announced," Ruth answered, even as Isaiah led them past the line to the front.

As soon as the servant writing down names for the announcer saw him, he motioned for the next person in line to move back so Isaiah and the two girls could step in as the servant quickly scrawled names. Isaiah only gave the man Mae's name as 'Miss James', the rest the man already knew and passed off to the announcer quickly.

Stepping out of the curtain as their names were called and standing at the top of the stairs made Mae feel scrutinized and uncomfortable. What sort of hell was this? To be put up high and announced while vultures seemed to circle below and whisper about her. Ruth was standing tall and smiling at no one in particular and Isaiah looked proud and regal as he stood there, but Mae felt like she wanted to hide. All of this felt ridiculous to her! The preening and the hierarchy based on who you were born to and how much money you had. None of it made any real sense at all! None of these people would last a whole day out of their precious city!

Isaiah led them down the stairs, then off to the side to another older man standing with his wife.

Mae had to endure meeting a great many older couples as she stayed close to Ruth and Isaiah, many of them looking at her with pursed lips as Isaiah introduced her as 'Miss James' and nothing else. More than anything, she wanted to get away from the older, stuffy and judgemental people to the younger group that looked like they were laughing and having more fun.

She edged closer to Ruth, though every time she tried to move even slightly, Isaiah would grip her arm in a gesture that read, 'not yet, that isn't acceptable behavior' to her. Ruth stayed close to him without issue, but he kept a tight hold on Mae's hand on his arm, as if he were afraid she would flee at any moment and embarrass him. At least that was what she assumed he was doing. Why else would he hold on to her so tightly as she looked around, bored out of her mind. They were talking about things she didn't understand at all and it seemed Isaiah and Ruth were both content to just stand there and be bored to tears, smiling all the while.

Finally, a younger man stepped up, moving close to an older couple and looking down at Ruth with a bright smile.

"There you are Raymond!" the man said brightly. "I suppose you are here to save your lady friend?"

"And her guest, if I may?" the young man asked, nodding at Mae quickly before looking back down at Ruth who was blushing and trying to hide a smile.

Isaiah went completely tense. "Of course," he answered tersely. "Raymond Olingale, this is Miss James. Miss James, This is Lord Raymond Olinglale."

"It's just Ray," the man grinned, hardly looking away from Ruth.

"Mae," Mae nodded, hoping this meant that Isaiah would let her and Ruth go talk with the younger people now.

It did and it didn't. Isaiah excused himself and led both girls across the room to the small group of younger people and Mae immediately locked eyes with a beautiful young man who made her breath stop. His smile was stunning as he looked her over from head to toe, then stepped close to her and bowed, taking up her free hand to kiss her fingers.

"I am Cal," he told her softly, keeping hold of her hand for a moment. Isaiah cleared his throat and Cal smirked and let her hand go as he stood up straight. "Forgive me, old boy! I forget you older generations have such a need for tradition. Please, introduce me to your guest."

"Miss James, this is Lord Callan Ingram. Lord Ingram, Miss James."

"There now! Introduced properly and decorum has been restored. Come and join us, Miss James?" he asked, offering his arm. "You and Ruth both?"

Mae felt herself blushing again as the beautiful man looked down at her, his eyes taking all of her in again. She nodded just slightly and started to take his arm.

Isaiah's grip tightened for a moment, then he let her go and stepped back slightly.

Mae hardly noticed as Cal put his hand over hers on his arm and smiled down at her. "Miss James? Are you from here?"

"I... no. No, I am from south of the city," she answered softly, feeling uncertain and flustered. "And it's just Mae."

"Mae, that is lovely. Is it short for something?"

"No..." she breathed, racking her brain for something clever to say. Her mind was going completely numb! It was his beautiful brown eyes, she decided. Looking away, she cleared her throat slightly and looked at Ruth who was watching her with a pleased sort of concern.

"'Mae' is small and perfect, just like you," Cal murmured, his fingers trailing over hers lightly. "Would you like to take a walk, Mae?" he asked lightly, looking to a side door that showed the lit gardens in the back of the huge house.

"Miss James is here as my guest tonight, Lord Ingram," Isaiah spoke up quickly.

Mae looked at Isaiah in confusion. She wasn't allowed to take a walk if she was here as his guest?

"Of course," Cal smirked. "My apologies, old boy. Mae? Ruth? I am having a small dinner with a few friends tomorrow afternoon for some games, won't you both come as my guests?"

"I am her ward while..." Isaiah began quickly before Mae could answer.

"You too, of course, old boy!" Cal smiled at Isaiah, his eyes shining. "Though I doubt you'll be up for the games! An old boy like you will be hard pressed to keep up!

"We would love to!" Ruth said quickly, smiling up at Ray. "You will be here as well?"

"Wouldn't miss it," Ray told her.

"It's settled then," Callan smiled. "Tomorrow you will come as MY guest," he told Mae. "Shall I send a carriage, or...?"

"I will bring them," Isaiah told him. "Ruth, Miss James, we must go and meet the Ruthefords, they just arrived."

"Uncle," Ruth pleaded, "I know them already and Mae doesn't need to know all of..."

"Ruth, please," Isaiah insisted, his jaw clenched as he offered Mae his arm.

Cal gave Isaiah a knowing and smug smile as he turned Mae to face him and bowed again, kissing her hand. "It was lovely to meet you, beautiful little sweet Mae. I think I may retire early tonight, only so tomorrow will arrive sooner and I might see you again all the more quickly. I hope your dreams will be as fond of me as mine will be of you," he whispered the last, standing, then passing her hand off to Isaiah. "Until tomorrow, sweet Mae."

Mae could only blush as she gave him a nod, smiling slightly as she trembled. Isaiah led her away quickly, but Mae hardly noticed as she cast furtive glances back at Callan. He watched her as well, smiling at her every time she looked back.

Isaiah was stressed, watching her for the rest of the evening. So much so that he made an excuse and they left early.

Ruth was upset, going on about how they missed out on talking to so many people, but Mae didn't care. She sat looking out into the darkness with a small smile, thinking of Callan and his beautiful eyes and that smile.

"Mae?" Ruth called loudly, making her jump.

"Yes?" she asked breathlessly.

"I asked if you've played many games before?"

"Games? I... played a few when I was younger but not in a long time. I recall playing tag with my older brother and his friends and we used to toss hedge apples when they were in season. What sorts of games?"

"Croquet?"

"I've... never heard of it? Is that what we will be doing tomorrow? Playing games and not just talking?"

"Yes, it will be a day of sport! It's always fun! And Uncle Isaiah will be coming to watch us too! We hardly ever get him to come to these events! I'm still so surprised, uncle!" Ruth laughed. "Anyway, I am sure Callan will be happy to teach you to play croquet or anything else we play! He seemed... very attentive, didn't he uncle? I'd say our Mae has an admirer!"

"Callan Ingram admires a new girl every week," Isaiah snapped irritably.

"Oh, he is young, uncle! And Mae is young, let them have fun! We are just spreading our wings a bit before we say our vows! It's not like back in your time where you just asked a likely match to marry you without hardly knowing them at all! We want to know each other and flirt and tease! Besides, I'd say Callen looked more than a little interested! Every single time I glanced at Ray, Callan was watching Mae! What was it he whispered to you, Mae?" Ruth asked in a giggle.