Make It Out Alive

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sir I'll ask you kindly to leave us alone," Mr. Rivers said pointedly.

"Just be quiet mister," the man ordered. "I'm talkin to the lady here. She seems way too good for this dirty cowboy."

"You'd be right friend," I said with a smile, trying to deescalate the situation. "She would be too good for me. I am merely escorting this lovely family back home. now if you'll please allow us to be on our way."

"Ah so you're available then sweetie?" The drunken man questioned.

"He didn't say that either," Clara said plainly.

"If ya ain't spoken for, that means you're free. And I aim to throw my name in the hat," he claimed as he took a step forward and reached his arm out for her.

Clara let a terrified squeal fly from her lips as she jumped back from the drunk man. Not being deterred the man took another step for her, keeping his arm outstretched, and judging by the looks of it, he was trying to grab her bosom.

Not wasting any time I quickly pulled my switchblade I always kept hidden behind my belt, and with a move so fast, honed by hours of bored practice, I hit the button to open the knife and stuck my arm out, bringing the blade into contact with his throat but not slicing or even drawing any blood. He froze.

"Listen her feller," I said in a low voice, barely over a grumble. "If you get even an inch closer to the lady I will cut your throat right out of your neck and let the alley dogs play with it. Do you understand me? Obviously she doesn't want your advances. Take the hint and get lost before you get dead."

The man rapidly nodded his head in understanding, almost as if he'd suddenly gotten sober, and turned to rapidly walk away, bringing his hand up to feel his neck as he did so. I waited until he was about twenty or so feet away before replacing the knife behind my belt and turning towards the family.

"Thank you so much Brad!" Clara thanked profusely, throwing her arms around me in a hug, a gesture that was obscenely inappropriate for public. "I doubt he could have gotten away with much being right in town like we are, but I was still so scared!"

"You had every right to be scared dear," her mother consoled her. "Nobody wants a strange drunk man touching them in any way."

Mother and daughter declared they were going to turn in for the night so we escorted them back to the hotel before Richard and I made our way over to the Wild Horses Saloon for a drink before turning in for the night ourselves.

"I just want to thank you for what you did for Clara," Richard said sincerely. "I'm stupidly not carrying a gun, so without you I'm not sure what I could have done. He wasn't a small man you know."

"Don't mention it Mr. Rivers," I said nonchalantly. "Just doing my job."

"You aren't a bodyguard," he laughed.

"Maybe not, but I ride for your brand, and considering you technically are the brand, and you brought me alone for added safety, in this situation, I guess it was sort of my job," I chuckled.

"I guess that's fair," he said with a smile. "And call me Richard. I think you've earned that right."

"Fair enough Richard," I grinned. "Think we've earned ourselves a drink as well?"

"I'd say we have," he agreed.

We took our beers over to a table in the corner and sat nursing them while exchanging easy conversation. He asked a few questions about my past, but they were out of genuine curiosity so I answered as best I could without giving anything away.

Of course, it didn't take long before the drunken idiot found his way into the saloon, and inevitably over to us, only this time, he had two friends with him. I immediately noticed that he was now wearing a gun, and so were his two counterparts.

"Well well well," he drawled. "If it isn't Mr. Big Shot Tough Guy."

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Lookin' for you," he said as if it weren't obvious.

"Friend you need to leave right now. You aren't welcome," Richard said somewhat nervously.

"I go where I want," the drunk man said loudly, causing any people who were nearby to stop their conversation and watch.

"This isn't a good idea," I said casually, already knowing where this was going.

"You humiliated me!" He scolded, "you had no call to do that!"

"I stopped you from doing something stupid," I corrected.

"Well I've got a score to settle with you," he said challengingly.

"Come on Richard," I said, ignoring the man. "Let's get out of here."

"Yes, indeed. Let's do that," he agreed, pushing back his chair to stand up. I did the same and we went to head towards the door.

I didn't want any trouble. Especially not with my boss right next to me. We made it halfway to the door when he started calling out insults, which I easily ignored. You didn't live as long as I did in my line of work by letting words get to you. I had every intention of just walking out and letting him talk away. That was until he changed the direction of his words.

"I wonder how that little hussie is in bed," he laughed to his partners. "I bet she's a real wild one."

"Watch your mouth friend," Richard said, turning in anger, not letting that train of talking go unacknowledged. If he didn't say something I was going to. I won't stand for that kind of talk.

"Ohhhh big man thinks he's tough now!" The man laughed, "think your man enough to shut me up fatty?"

"You watch your fucking mouth you scum," I said, turning to face the trio.

"Oh the tough guy thinks he scares me," the man chuckled.

"We're gonna turn and leave now partner. Best you tuck tail and leave before you say something that could get you in trouble," I warned, not able to stop myself from issuing an underhanded threat. Some habits die hard.

"You ain't goin nowhere yet," he said. "Like I said. We have unfinished business."

"Take a few steps away from me Mr. Rivers," I cautioned. "And stay out of this. I don't want you wrapped up in it."

"There's three of em Brad," he said even as he stepped away. "I don't wanna watch you get cut down. Maybe we ought to just leave."

"I tried that way, but it seems like this feller wants to dance. I'd hate to it to come to gunplay, but he just won't quit, and I can't say as I trust him not to back shoot us as soon as we try to leave." I reasoned.

"You fellers done having your grand ole palaver? I'm starting to get impatient," the drunk man roared.

"I've tried everything I can to stop this," I said loudly, making sure the witnesses heard. "I don't want to be held responsible."

"Ha! Ain't that some gold right there Billy?" The man laughed at his partner to his left. "He thinks he's gonna walk away from this."

By now everyone had made it to either wall of the saloon, leaving me facing the three of them in the middle with nothing but open air and wall behind either side. They all knew what was about to happen.

"It's your funeral," I sighed, resolving myself to wait for his play. I didn't love these odds. I wasn't overly worried about them either though. I was Jack Margrave after all, and these were just some drunken fools.

The drunk man didn't say anything else and neither did his friends. In a move that was so broadcasted it could have been seen from space they all reached for their guns. A slight smile lit my face as my hand flew down to my revolver, drawing it and fanning off three quick shots, all from the hip, the shots ringing out so close together that it could have just been one long drawn out noise.

It was actually closer than I'd wanted it to be. All three of them actually managed to clear leather, and two of them, one being the leader, managed to actually get a shot off. The guy on his left was the one who didn't shoot at all. The drunk didn't get his gun up, but squeezed off a round as a reaction to getting his chest opened by my bullet and it went harmlessly into the ground about three feet in front of him. The guy on his rights shot was the closest, hitting the wall behind me, though it was five or so feet wide as I'd shot him while he was still moving his gun onto target, my bullet also causing him to involuntarily fire.

All three of them were dead before they hit the floor. All three of them had a new bullet wound in roughly the same spot on their chest. It was effortless to me. It's what I did. Sure, there was bound to be someone out there who was better. Someday I'd probably brace someone who would wind up gunning me down the same way I did these three drunken fools. I just hadn't found that guy yet, and if I had my way, I wouldn't have to keep finding out that I was faster. I wanted the gunplay to stop.

"Holy hell son," Richard said in disbelief a few moments after the smoke cleared. "I'm glad you're on my side."

**

We sat back down and ordered two more beers as we waited for the sheriff to come by. I wasn't wanted this far north, and I was sure nobody would recognize me, so I felt rather safe not running.

By the time the sheriff arrived the other patrons were just getting back into their own evenings, drinking and talking like nothing had ever happened.

"Why'd you kill these boys?" He asked.

"They drew on me," I said plainly.

"Why'd they draw?"

"The one in the middle there was drunk and tried to accost a woman earlier. I stopped him," I began before clarifying, "without hurting him mind you, and he came back for revenge."

"So you're telling me that three men drew on you, and you somehow managed to not only outdraw all of them, but shoot them all before they could get you?" He asked, not entirely buying it.

"I mean, they all were drunk, so they were slower and less accurate than they usually would have been," I said, trying to draw the spotlight off of me.

"I guess that's fair," he allowed. "Any of you witness it?"

At least twenty hands shot up, and within a few minutes he had everything he needed to label it as a justifiable homicide by way of self defense, letting me go without any issues. It helped that I told him how to find me if a need to did arise.

"Do I want to know?" Mr. Rivers asked once the sheriff left.

"Do you want to know what?" I answered his question with another question.

"Why you're that good with your gun. Why being faced down by three would be killers didn't phase you even in the slightest."

"Probably not," I said, revealing more of the truth than even a lot of actual answers would have done.

"Then I won't ask," he chuckled. "Though I do need to know one thing, and you'll understand why I need to know it, it's my ranch on the line after all."

"What's that?" I asked skeptically.

"Are you wanted?"

"Not anywhere within fifteen hundred miles of here, if anywhere at all anymore. Weren't for murder or anything bad like that neither," I answered, hoping that was enough. If it wasn't I could always just move on again, but I was starting to like it here.

"Then that's good enough for me," he grinned. "Don't matter who or what you were before. You're a good man and a good worker now. I'd even call you a good friend."

"I appreciate that Mr. Rivers," I said.

"Richard."

"Yes, I appreciate that Richard," I said with a smile, lifting my beer mug for a cheers.

**

The ride home was uneventful. By uneventful I mean that nothing interesting happened, though it was eventful for me because as it played out, we did ride back three deep on the seat of that wagon, which led to Clara's body being pressed awfully close to mine. Unnecessarily close if I was honest. I don't think she was even touching her mother in the slightest, but she practically had herself molded to me, even if it wasn't in an inappropriate way.

My boss's daughter had me entirely too worked up for the entire ride back. If it wasn't for the heat, the constant attention I had to give the team of horses pulling the wagon, and the thick denim of my trousers I probably would have been sporting quite the erection by the time it was all said and done.

When we got back to the ranch the place was buzzing with excitement, over both Clara's return and the upcoming party. The planning and setup of the event was already covered so I figured I'd make myself useful by saddling Blondie and heading out to the south pasture to check on the herd we'd moved there a few days back since I was sure all the other hands were to preoccupied to actually work.

The south pasture was entirely Three Rivers land so it was fenced in, despite being bordered by thousands and thousands of acres of open range. We sometimes would push the herd out onto the open range if our land got overgrazed though, so I decided to ride over and check the fence line and make sure the cattle were staying where they were supposed to, even though it wouldn't matter if the fence was down.

About halfway down the fence there was a sizable gap, and upon further inspection I was satisfied it wasn't cut by rustlers, but just knocked down by some cattle instead. We always carried tools to mend the fence when we worked so it didn't really take me any effort to stand the posts back up and stretch some new wire between them. With that being done I headed over to the gate to take a quick ride onto the open range to make sure none of our herd had made their way out there.

Looking at the size of the herd in the south pasture I didn't think we'd lost any, but it never hurt to look. Over a few hills I did indeed find some strays, but it was just a few head so rounding them up didn't take me any time at all and I began to push them back to the gate so I could get them back onto Three Rivers land.

As I was approaching the gate I noticed a rider coming from the direction of the homestead, but as whoever it was was still a ways away, I swung down, opened the gate, and pushed the wayward critters back to where they belonged.

"Quit wandering now ya here?" I told the cattle as they passed through the gate, "who am I kidding? You fellers never listen."

"Talking to the cattle?" I heard a woman say, looking up to see Clara a few yards away. I didn't even realize she'd gotten so close. "Isn't that a little strange?"

"Miss, if you don't talk to the critters, you ain't been around 'em long enough," I chuckled. "Though I've noticed they never listen."

"I've been around them plenty. You forget I grew up here," she said, the malice in her voice betrayed by the smile on her lips.

"My apologies Miss," I said quickly. "I didn't mean anything by it."

"I know you didn't Just Brad," she giggled cutely.

"What are you doing out here anyways?" I asked, giving her a smile to show I wasn't appalled by her presence.

"I've been living in the smelly city for too long now. It's been a while since I've been able to be out on the open range and smell the clean air."

"Yea I've been to a few cities, and none of them smell too good I'll give you that Miss," I agreed.

"What's with all the 'Miss' business?" She asked, "we're pretty close to the same age."

"Just being proper is all, I don't mean anything by it," I reasoned. "You're my boss's daughter, so I guess that's kind of makes you my boss."

"I'm your boss?" She laughed. "Does that mean I can order you around?"

"Well, yea, I'd imagine so," I allowed.

"Well, are you coming to the party tonight?" She asked. I thought I might have saw a little bit of hope in her eyes at the question but I wasn't sure at all.

"I figured on just choring for a little while, grabbing a plate, and hanging out in the bunkhouse," I admitted.

"Then as your boss, I order you to come and enjoy the party instead of hiding out in the bunkhouse."

"I don't want to intrude. Y'all are a close group and I'm just a newcomer. The party is for all of you guys to enjoy," I said sheepishly. Why was she making me nervous?

"You're one of our hands. That makes you family," she said sternly before her expression softened. "Besides, you may have saved my life, so even if you are just a newcomer to everyone else, you're important to me."

"I guess I can make an appearance," I grinned.

"Good." She said triumphantly, turning her horse to ride off before adding with a sultry smile, "make sure you save me a dance."

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you to dance?" I asked, the slight grin still plastered to my face.

"Were you going to?" She questioned.

"Probably not," I admitted.

"Then that's why I asked you."

With that she kicked her horse into a trot and was over the hill and out of sight before I could even think of a response, let alone get the words out. That woman had to be the most attractive thing I'd ever seen in my life, and she was playing a dangerous game.

She was a good honest woman, from a good honest family. She had class. She had elegance. She was way too good for a no account outlaw like me. Beneath all that, she had a childish desire to just run free and do as she pleased. Prim and proper with the ability to turn it all off and just run wild. I liked that in a woman.

**

The party was a huge event. Being one of the largest ranches around and a widely respected and liked man to boot, Mr. Rivers had many close friends in the valley and they came out in droves to celebrate Clara's return.

Some of the other ranchers and their hands were faces I recognized from the few trips I'd made into town, even if I didn't know them by name. It seemed every one of them, to a man, were all standup good honest people. Jack Margrave would have felt out of place at an event like this, whether he was there to scope out a target to rob or not, but Brad Phillips sort of felt at home. I really was starting to like my new honest life, so I figured I might as well enjoy it before the house of cards started to come down and I was inevitably forced to move on, or worse.

I was standing off to the side of the yard sipping on a beer that Mr. Geddes, the saloon owner, was nice enough to cart out here for the occasion when I heard a voice come from next to me.

"Enjoying the party Brad?" Mrs. Rivers asked.

"It turned out wonderful," I answered with a big smile. "Thanks for putting this on and letting me enjoy it."

"It was nothing," she smiled. "You're Three Rivers, so you're always welcome. We're a family here."

"So I'm told," I said, still smiling.

"Clara said you didn't plan on attending?" She said questioningly.

"I didn't want to get in the way ma'am," I said. "Clara set me straight though."

"You'll have to watch out for that one Brad. I think she's set her eyes on you."

"Ma'am I didn't mean," I started, trailing off as I tried to find the words. "I never intended for that to happen if she has. I can set her straight."

"Why would you go and do that?" She wondered. "She's a wonderful young lady."

"Of course she is ma'am. I never meant to imply that she wasn't," I began. "She's just too good for a guy like me. I don't, and I doubt you or Mr. Rivers would either, want her to end up with someone like me."

"Richard told me about what happened in Laramie," she stated plainly, then she smiled before she continued. "You saved her, then handled the retaliation that came from it. Everyone has a past Brad. Richard told me you aren't wanted for anything bad. Judging by how you handled yourself you're no stranger to trouble, but you're a good man Brad. I can see that. Your past doesn't define you. Since you've been here you've been nothing but a gentleman, a hard worker, and honorable. Don't beat yourself up too bad about who you were before."

"I appreciate your vote of confidence," I said with a wary smile. I didn't want to reveal too much, but I felt she was someone who deserved to hear a little bit. "But I can't promise my past won't catch back up with me."

"The law?" She asked.

"Probably not," I said simply. If my past ever did catch up to me it would probably be some enemy I made along the way, someone looking to avenge a death or settle a score. I figured I was pretty much safe from the law by this point.

"Then you'll deal with it as it comes up," she said assuringly. "Until then, just keep being the man we know. You're family now, and Clara could certainly do a lot worse."

123456...9