Make It Out Alive

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She wanted to spend every moment in that little cabin naked with me, even if we weren't doing anything nefarious at the time, but I convinced her to get dressed in her riding clothes that had since been dried by the fire just in case someone came looking for her, which I was sure would happen.

That didn't stop us from making love several more times over the hours, though we were careful not to undress too far and stayed within sight of the windows so we could see someone approaching before they could catch us with our pants down, literally.

It wasn't raining too bad now, but it was still raining. In all honesty we could have made the ride back, but she was safe so I didn't see any need to get us both soaked in the travels or risk Blondie stepping into a hole. Besides, neither of us actually wanted to leave, though we knew we'd have to before too long.

"What happens when we go back?" She asked, voicing the same question I was pondering at that moment.

"I don't know Clara," I answered. "I don't know."

"I don't want this to end," she pouted.

"I don't either."

"Then why let it end?"

"I don't think your father would approve of me courting you," I chuckled before turning more serious. "And besides, I'm just one of the hands. I've lived a hard, often bad life. I'm not even sure how to court someone."

"Brad, you're an amazing man. I know Mother likes you, and Father truly respects you. They won't have a problem with it at all. Plus, I'm their little girl, I know how to get my way," she giggled cutely.

"That still leaves my past. I don't know that I can ever get away from it fully. I'm doing my best, but I worry that it'll catch up with me, and I don't want you in the middle of it," I said dejectedly.

"Who you were doesn't matter to me Brad. Whatever problems may come up, we can face them together," she assured me. "What was your past like?"

I debated with myself for a long moment. I wanted to share everything with this woman. Everything from my past all the way to my entire future. I was sure of that. I just wasn't sure how I could tell her, or what she'd think if I did.

"I won't get into the gory details," I started, figuring I'd just give her bits and pieces to try to save a little face. "But I was an outlaw. A gunslinger. It's all I've ever done. I don't think I had an honest days work in my life before I came here."

"Why'd you leave that life?" She asked, not off put at all by my revelation.

"A job went really wrong. I had to run."

"So you're a wanted man?" She asked, not accusingly, just like she wanted to understand, "is that the past that you're worried will catch up with you?"

"No, not anywhere near here anyways. And if I am even still wanted, it's for petty crime with minimal reward, if any. We were always careful to not get identified. They knew of the gang as a whole, but didn't really know who was even in it. It probably helped that we traveled with a group of women, so we looked more like a large family than anything."

"So it's not the law you're worried about," she reasoned with a smile. "Is it one of those women? A wife or mistress that might track you down?"

"No not that either. I was never with any of the women, in any capacity," I explained with a laugh.

"Then what is it?" She wondered. She was really good at drawing information out of me. I knew then I'd never be able to hide anything from her if we did wind up together.

"Enemies I reckon," I shrugged. "Like I said, I was, I guess I still am, a bad man. I've killed a lot of people, robbed a lot of people. I worry someone with a grudge will eventually track me down and try to set it right."

"First off, Brad you aren't a bad man. You're an amazing man. I can see that plain as day. You may have done some bad things, but that's doesn't make you a bad man," she said gently as she placed a hand on my arm. "And secondly, if that does happen, I've no doubt you can handle yourself."

"It's not me I'm worried about. I've never been worried about me. I didn't make it this far doing what I did by being a slower draw, a worse shot, or a bigger fool than anyone else. I'll be fine," I stated. "I'd worry they'd go after you, or your family, to try to get at me."

"If they do they're bigger fools than anyone could think," she chuckled. "I have faith that you'd save me and set it right. Plus, if they wanted to go after me to get to you, they'd already just do that."

"True, but if you were my woman," I started.

"I like the sound of that," she smiled. "Your woman."

"If you were my woman," I continued. "They'd make sure to go after you. What if I wasn't in time to save you, or couldn't?"

"I have faith in you Brad," she said, a loving look on her face.

"You're not right in the head then," I laughed. "You sure you'd want to take up with an outlaw?"

"Ex-outlaw." She stated plainly. "For the time I've known you, you've been nothing but a gentleman. An honest worker. My father and the other hands hold you in a very high regard."

"And what happens if and when the house of cards comes crashing down?" I asked.

"Then I guess I'll be in love with an outlaw," she smiled, leaning over to kiss me. "I won't tell my parents any of this though, but from here out, I expect you to court me."

"I'll do my best to win your affections," I grinned.

"You already have them."

**

The rain let up about an hour later so I figured we should start heading back before someone came looking. I closed down the cabin and saddled Blondie while she quickly made us a meal to pack in my saddle bags for the trail as we would have to skip one on the long ride without it.

I didn't want to leave. It was as if that cabin had been turned into my own personal paradise over the last eighteen hours. I knew I was attracted to Clara from the beginning, and as I got to know her that attraction only deepened. To find out she felt the same way was like the weight of the world was also lifted off my shoulders, but a new burden had replaced said weight. The burden of keeping her safe if my past reared its ugly head.

We obviously had to ride double because her horse had died. Luckily she carried a carbine in a scabbard on her saddle so she was at least able to put it out of its misery rather than leave him there to suffer. I figured I'd drop her at the ranch house then ride out for her saddle after.

Sitting that close to her, even after the newfound closeness between us, was exhilarating to say the least. She was like a breath of fresh air in my dull life. I aimed us towards the main compound then let Blondie have her head, leaving Clara and I free to touch and kiss as much as our hearts desired, though we were always careful to watch the horizon to be sure we weren't seen.

We had pleasant conversation while we rode, talking about everything from our childhoods to our favorite foods. I truly did love everything about her. Our nice conversation certainly didn't mean we didn't fool around some though. At one point she'd even stood in the saddle, fished my cock out, then pulled her own trousers down to ride me, letting the bouncing of the horse do all the work. It was magical.

I had just finished rubbing her to another rapid orgasm when I saw a rider top the crest in front of us. He was still a good distance away so I knew he wouldn't have seen my hand down her pants or up her blouse, fondling her large tits while she came, so I wasn't worried at all as I removed my extremities and let her sort herself out as he approached.

We each reigned up when we were about ten feet away and I could clearly see the relieved expression on Bob's face.

"We've been out looking for you since late last night," he said, obviously worried. "We've practically rode the entire range, though we figured we'd save this section for last since Brad was out this way and would have found you, which he obviously did."

"She found me," I chuckled. "Was about to make some food when I heard a knock on the door last night. Her horse hit a hole and she walked her way to the cabin knowing I was there. Figured we'd wait until the rain broke before heading back."

"That was probably the best idea," Bob said. "It got real bad. We were all worried about you Miss Clara."

"As you can see, I'm perfectly fine," she smiled. "I hate the thought of you boys out in the storm all night. If I'd have known I'd have had Brad take me back sooner."

"Don't think nothin of it Miss," he said. "We'd all rather it be us out there than you. If we could have tracked you we wouldn't have been so worried and most of us wouldn't have went out, but the rained washed all sign away."

With Bob being satisfied with her safety, he turned his horse and took off at a gallop to inform the rest of the hands they could call off the search while Clara and I leisurely made our way behind him. When we finally were in sight of the Big House Mrs. Rivers ran out to greet us while Mr. Rivers stood on the porch with a big smile on his face. He knew better than to get in between a mother and her baby.

After Clara swung down to be embraced by her mother I rode over to a rail and tied off Blondie then made my way over to the porch.

"If I'd have known all the hands were out prowling for her I'd have brought her back sooner but I figured it best to keep her safe and dry in the cabin until it cleared," I explained, worried he'd be upset about the two of us spending all that time out there.

"You did good Brad," he smiled and clapped me on the back. "How'd she come to find you?"

"Her horse hit a hole and broke its leg. She put it down and walked to the cabin since she knew I was there. She was shivering and soaked when she got there, but was healthy as can be at least. I got her dried and fed then we just sat around waiting for that damned storm to break."

"Hell of a storm it was too," he chuckled. "The range needed it, but it would appear it came at a very unfortunate time for her."

"You can say that again," I laughed. "I'm going to head back out and get the saddle off her horse. Want me to burry it or leave it?"

"Seeing as we've been having wolf troubles again it's best we burry the mount. I'll send some boys out to do it though, you've already done enough Brad," he said sincerely. "Would you care to join Mrs. Rivers, Clara, and I for supper tonight?"

"If I won't be intruding I'd enjoy that."

**

Supper was great. The food was amazing and so was the company, but my favorite part was the little glances Clara and I kept exchanging when nobody was looking. I was definitely in over my head but I was loving every minute of it. I knew I had to ask Richard for permission to court his daughter, but I figured I'd best wait a while so he wouldn't see the truth about what actually happened at the cabin in that storm.

The next two weeks were painful, as I wasn't really able to be around Clara without raising any suspicions, and she asked me more than once when I was going to get around to asking him, but when I explained my reasoning behind waiting, she said she understood and backed off, but only slightly.

I did everything I could to be a good hand and a good man. That meant there were no late night secret rendezvous with Clara, no matter how much I wished there could be.

Roundup was already upon us which meant that the drive into Laramie was soon to follow. I made up my mind that I was going to ask Richard for permission once the cattle were all sold. I didn't think he held any suspicion or animosity towards me, but I figured it would be better if I asked him when he was in a good mood after the drive.

Luckily, I wasn't the "low man" anymore as Mr. Rivers had taken on a few more hands since my arrival, and that meant I wasn't stuck riding drag for the drive. Drag is the worst place to be, since you're riding at the back of the herd and eating dust the entire way. When Poke gave out the orders, I found myself in the flank position so that meant I went to bed the night before the drive not dreading the next day.

The drive into Laramie was about twenty miles, so we planned on it taking all of two days, then stopping just short to finish the drive in on the third morning. The drive was always an exciting time around any ranch, and with this being the first one I was really a part of, I was looking forward to feeling like a real cowboy for a while.

We'd heard tell of a band of rustlers roaming this area, but we weren't entirely sure how accurate the information was, and we had a large crew working the drive so we weren't too worried, though each man did wear their gun like usual, and also carried a rifle in a boot on their saddle, though most of the hands always did this as well.

Mr. Rivers knew some of my background, so I figured it wouldn't be a surprise if I strapped on my cross draw holster as well, carrying both revolvers instead of the normal one. Richard just gave me a small nod when he saw this, but a few of the hands did a double take. Wearing a cross draw holster wasn't entirely uncommon, but it did label me as someone who might know what they're doing.

Luckily, by this point I'd been accepted as one of the men, so nobody felt the need to question me having such equipment, and I felt better for it. Both for having both guns in case something did happen, and because I was a part of the crew.

Since I'd, uh, acquired Blondie from a ranch, she already knew exactly what to do and settled into her role rather quickly, allowing me to just sit back and enjoy it. The range was soon filled with the sounds of whooping cowboys, the thundering hoofbeat of cattle, and the occasional gunshot or whip crack. It was like a scene out of one of those dime novels.

The first day went by smoothly and enjoyably, and after supper I was assigned the first shift on nighthawk, so while everyone else rolled into their bedrolls, Billy and I circled the herd, gently singing to them to keep them calm. When my shift was over and I finally curled up for some sleep, I was immensely satisfied with the day. There was something about being an honest to God cowboy that just sat right with my being.

**

It was sometime around three in the morning, I'd guess, when I was awoken by the sound of gunshots and the pounding of cattle running. I'd heard about stampedes, but never seen one, and in the faint glow of the moonlight, it was a sight to behold.

"Stampede!" Someone yelled out unnecessarily.

"Rustlers!" Another voiced called, immediately followed by the sound of gunshots.

Everyone jumped up and saddled their horses as quickly as they could. Luckily a few hands still had their mounts saddled and ready for this very event so they were able to take off and try to turn the herd back into itself to stop the flowing wave of crazed cattle.

It didn't take me but a minute to have Blondie ready to run and I quickly took off after the cattle, trying to reach the front to help turn the beasts. A few of the hands had already gotten them turned and they were slowing down, not wanting to run into each other, when I got there, so all that was left to do was drive them back to camp.

Once we had them back I rode up to Mr. Rivers to ask what happened.

"Damn rustlers," he huffed. "They shot Jennings and knocked Bob out cold. The damn sons of bitches!"

"Which way did they go? How many of them were there?" I asked quickly.

"There was about five or six I counted as they rode away, but there could be more," he said.

"I'm headed after them," I said resolutely. "They ain't getting away with this shit."

"I'll ride with you Brad," Poke said from next to me.

"I'm not sure it wouldn't be best if you stayed with the herd Poke," I reasoned.

"Poke's a good man to have along if you actually plan on going after them," Richard explained. "Not that I recommend it, you'll still be greatly outnumbered and I can't send anyone else with you."

"We'll be fine Sir," Poke assured him.

"It ain't just five or six," I guessed aloud.

"What do you mean?" Poke asked.

"Five or six was all they sent here, but nobody would be dumb enough to hit a herd this size with this many hands without having more outriders elsewhere. My guess is they've been following us and have a camp not too far where the others are waiting to drive the herd from here as fast as they can. They've probably got men hanging back to bushwhack us if we follow them too," I explained, not worrying about the fact that my statement made it sound like I knew how to rustle cattle, which I did.

"I ain't gonna ask why you know all that," Poke said, immediately picking up on it. "I'll grab Thomas and we'll go. We'll follow your lead Brad, but you could use the guns and we're the best we've got. Can you spare him Mr. Rivers?"

"Yea take him. You just be careful. I don't want anyone else hurt over a few head of cattle," Richard allowed.

"We'll catch up to you with the cattle," I promised. "You guys better get a move on though just in case they come back."

With that Poke turned and went to go fetch Thomas while I went over to the chuckwagon to grab some grub since I figured we might be out there a while. I didn't want to hit them right when we caught up to them because I figured a little reconnoitering might go a long way towards keeping us alive, though if it really was just five or six, we'd play it as we found it.

It wasn't long before the three of us were headed off in the direction the rustlers went. I knew they wouldn't try to throw us off their trail, because it's hard to hide tracks of a hundred or so head of cattle. Instead, I knew they'd just try to link up with the rest of their crew as quickly as they could. I was certain there were more of them. There was strength in numbers.

**

"I'd wager you've rustled some in your past Brad," Poke started. "I'm not accusing or talking down on you, your past is your past and you've been nothing but good since you've gotten here, but if you've done it, you have the best idea what we're up against. How do we play this?"

"When we catch the herd we need to get somewhere we can see it without being seen," I reasoned, neither confirming nor denying his hunch. "That'll give us a chance to see what we're up against. If they've made it to the rest of their crew, which they probably have, then we'll watch them for a bit and see where their weaknesses are."

"Then what?" Thomas asked.

"Well I don't know about you, but I've got no qualms against shooting fellers that need shot, and I'd say rustlers need shot," I stated evenly. "So I reckon we just ambush the bastards and be done with it. I mean, they've got our cattle, so that's proof enough right there they rustled 'em."

"And nobody questions when a rustler gets shot," Poke said with a tone of voice that suggested he didn't mind shooting the bastards either.

"Sounds good to me," Thomas agreed.

We rode in silence for a few miles. They didn't get much of a head start on us, and pair that with the fact that we weren't riding hard, I figured we'd catch them within an hour or so. Part of me wanted them to be with the larger group. Sure it would mean we were greatly outnumbered, but I figured we could cut those odds down pretty quick before they knew what hit them. As a bonus it meant there shouldn't be more riders coming in from elsewhere to make us fight on two fronts.

I knew they'd have someone watching their back trail so my main focus then was finding where the sucker was hid and dealing with him as quietly as possible. Once that was done we'd know we were close and could begin to swing around and get a good look at them.

"Is there any good place on this path we're on to set up a good ambush?" I asked Poke after a half mile or so, figuring he knew the land better than I did.

"Yea, now that you mention it there is," he replied. "About half a mile up there's a little draw, one side has a lot of cover on the top. If I was gonna ambush someone I'd set up there."

1...456789