Make It Worth It

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Xerxes pocketed the phone with a huff, looking back at Ketna, his face softened with amusement. "Keeping your tits out for presentation?" He sounded very amused with himself.

"I was getting to that." Ketna answered, and went to work adjusting herself back into place.

Just as she was smoothing the fabric over her breasts, she sensed movement outside the door. The door opened and in walked the man Ketna was here for, Stefan Brynmor, along with his date, a taller, younger man that she did not recognize.

Something in Xerxes' face darkened, his jaw clenched the moment he caught sight of Stefan. Even if she had not been wearing heels, Stefan would have been shorter than her. The man at his side, however, about matched her current height with the heels on. Stefan held no look of pleasantry, a stern face that hardly changed when Xerxes greeted him with an outstretched hand.

"Brynmor." Xerxes greeted stiffly.

"Xerxes." Stefan returned the greeting just as stiffly, meeting Xerxes' hand to shake it in what way he could.

The shake broke and Stefan gestured to the young man next to him. "This is my partner, Gil."

The younger man was less stiff, had only a slight bit more friendliness in his behavior than Stefan appeared to possess. Xerxes took Gil's hand in a shake as well, only greeting the man with a grunt of sorts.

Ketna waited slightly to the side, arms folded while she observed the two men. Neither paid her any real attention, but that was to be expected, she was just arm candy for Xerxes. When Stefan's gaze did wander to her direction, it was a look of suspicion and general disapproval. Before he could comment, the door opened and a waiter and sommelier entered.

The four had brief, courteous acknowledgement of the waitstaff then took their seats at the table. The sommelier dutifully took to presenting, pouring and decanting the wine that had been requested with their reservation. This provided time for the four to go over the menu, before placing their orders. Business didn't resume until the staff left the room. Stefan looked to Gil and wordlessly, the young man stood, procuring a device from his satchel and began holding it aloft while walking about the room. Ketna had an idea of what was happening but trained her face to watch with visible confusion as 'Enara' would not have the same insight.

"Checking for bugs." Stefan announced with resigned annoyance, looking at Ketna directly as he did.

Almost as if on cue, Gil walked over to Ketna, waving it in her general direction, up and down her person. He didn't quite give the same focus to Xerxes. She was the only 'anomaly' among them.

Xerxes' eyes glanced occasionally from Gil to Stefan, something to occupy his attention while he waited in silence and whatever else was on his mind.

"All clear." Gil announced on his return to his seat.

"Thank you." Stefan responded to the announcement with more warmth than he had shown the whole evening thus far. "And now his date." The coldness in his tone returned as he glanced to Ketna.

"Already on it." Gil answered with a soft smile, his fingers already clenched around a covered tablet in his satchel after he had placed the scanner back inside.

When the tablet was fully removed, Gil flipped back its cover, running through whatever menu was on it, setting it up for whatever was intended. Then, placed it in the middle of the table, tilted in Ketna's direction.

"If you would please place your palm here." The young man instructed, looking at Ketna directly.

"What for?" Ketna feigned nervousness, she could intuit exactly what was about to happen.

"While I'm certain Xerxes is capable of culling any liabilities, I prefer to make my own contingency plans." Stefan answered.

"You're not gonna murder me in my sleep, right?" Again she pretended to be nervous while slowly removing the glove from her hand.

"Not if you know how to be discreet." There was no smile on Stefan's face.

Ketna gingerly placed her hand on the tablet-like device, maintaining her act of apprehension. As she expected, the device took a read of her full hand print. Upon withdrawing her hand, the tablet was retrieved from the table. Stefan examined what information that was available to him, eyes glancing over what displayed after the scan.

"Tell me, Xerxes, what name has your date for the evening provided you with?" Stefan asked.

"She listed herself as Deliliah, but I know her legal name is Enara Mavros." Xerxes answered without hesitation.

Ketna gave a look of 'surprise' at the name as she was in the middle of sliding the glove back up her arm. She pretended to say something then held her tongue.

"And you would be correct." A thin, but still not pleasant, smile appeared on Stefan's face, eyes darting back and forth between the information on the tablet and Xerxes. "Relieved to see you do your research on your escorts."

"Wouldn't be in business this long if I didn't." Xerxes smirked, clearly proud of himself.

"Yes, well, a quaint eight years presiding over a mere hundred thousand kilometers of territory would be boast-worthy to most, I suppose." Stefan retorted blithely with a subtle wave of his fingers.

The corners of Xerxes' mouth pulled back into a grimace. "Thirteen." he corrected grimly.

"Spending five years locked in volatile territory disputes to gain your footing does not constitute as control." Stefan returned the tablet to Gil while he spoke. "But you're young, you'll understand the significance in time if you manage to hang onto it."

Xerxes' body language held a simmering contempt, but didn't press the point further, causing Ketna to quietly wonder what fueled his restraint.

"Point is," Xerxes' contempt could still be heard in his tone as he redirected the conversation. "I know how to keep a tight ship. Weeded out my fair share of snitches n' spies, whether they work for me or not."

Stefan did not seem impressed then glanced over to 'Enara' with a weary expression.

"Ms. Mavros." Stefan stated coldly. "For a woman with a secretarial background and an escort gig, I couldn't help but notice your arms appear much more defined than one would expect for your position." His eyes lingered on the arm that had been freed of the full length glove not moments before.

Ketna focused her attention when Stefan stated her cover name. She made her expression puzzled, as though she truly didn't know what he was referring to while glancing at her own arm, followed by an expression of revelation.

"Oh. That's likely from all the rock climbing I do." Ketna answered.

"Rock climbing, in New York City?" Stefan inquired with an air of disbelief that he did not attempt to mask.

"New York City isn't ideal for the hobby, but there are a few nice indoor places I can use during the week." Ketna leaned into the annoying enthusiasm for her 'hobby'. "But there are fantastic cliff sides if you're up for putting in a few hours' drive. Personally, I find-"

"I wasn't interested in an extrapolation of your hobby." Stefan interrupted in coarse irritation.

Ketna made her posture stiff and a bit forlorn, but inwardly she was pleased she achieved exactly what she had hoped.

Luckily the awkwardness didn't have to persist long, as the serving staff returned to deliver the food that had been ordered by the group. The sommelier likewise returned to check in on the drinks and if any further decanting was required. Small pleasantries were exchanged and the staff left the four to guaranteed, uninterrupted privacy. Stefan was quick to get back on topic soon as the wait staff left.

"As I discussed with you before, I won't be going over the specific arrangements here." Stephan's gaze in Xerxes's direction was very focused as he spoke. "I prefer to discuss all logistics and expectations in my own home." Stefan took prim bites of his food while awaiting Xerxes' acknowledgement.

"Yeah yeah, I got that." Xerxes sounded as though he was suppressing his irritation.

"Normally I don't make arrangements with individuals that solicit me," Stefan continued. "but seeing as my other North American imports have been choked, I am giving you a chance. If the initial operation works as intended you will have a steady and reliable business arrangement with me."

Kenta was mindful to not look like she was invested in the conversation, mostly to her food and casual glances around the room. She made a point to not look in Xerxes' direction or stop her motions when Stefan mentioned being solicited. Xerxes had reached out to Brynmor, explicitly. Had Xerxes really intuited she would be that interested in this, to the point he knew the near perfect bait to grab her attention?

"Course it'll work," Xerxes responded smugly. "Not the first time I've run successful interplanetary import/export on illegal goods."

Stefan did not look impressed. He paused to glance around the table, casting a brief displeased look at Ketna, before answering Xerxes' claim.

"I took the liberty of investigating the branches of your business before our meeting." Stefan took a sip of his glass before he continued. "Nothing appeared particularly remarkable; services and goods were adequate. However, I've seen reports that this area has been dealing with some... complications."

"Get to the point." Xerxes responded tersely.

Ketna had a sense she knew where the conversation was going, mentally preparing herself to remain unmoved by certain names. She also noted every now and then before Stefan spoke, he paid a short glance in her direction, a hesitation, almost.

"Part of my reluctance to entertain this arrangement is due to certain vigilante interference, one I am familiar with." Stefan paused to take a bite of his food, he took his time to chew, swallow, and delicately wipe his mouth before elaborating. "The one referred to as Zephyra has been responsible for the closure of both manufacture and shipping operations in multiple locations. Normally I would not entertain setting up at a location where she is currently active, but certain factors have come to light that have made me willing to entertain the risk."l

Xerxes looked particularly smug. "Yeah? Like what?"

"Accounts from what I have heard are that you have had a unique relationship with her." Stefan put emphasis on the word.

"Y'mean I've fucked her." Xerxes interjected, much too proud about it.

Stefan's expression soured. "That was one detail I encountered, yes." He acknowledged and quickly moved on. "Despite her interference with local business and politics, you've managed to maintain, even gain, influence and territory. Even more unusual, I have reports she aided you in the capture of a robotics facility that you maintain control of to this day."

"We had a mutually beneficial arrangement." Xerxes stated smoothly, still with a smirk.

"I do not care what that arrangement is nor why, that's not what I'm interested in." Stefan was quick to interject. "What I'm interested in is your being in the unique position of providing adequate distraction for the vigilante in question."

Xerxes chuffed and reclined back in his chair. It was the most jovial he had behaved since Brynmor's arrival. For the whole night, really. "What, want me to seduce her or somethin'?"

"I sincerely do not care how you aim to accomplish it, only that you can." Stefan sounded irritated at that particular proposal. "If she truly is pathetic enough as to be taken in by your... charms," There was a scathing venom to his inflection. "I can't argue that it would make things easier. Women are so often controlled by their emotions, it would be convenient to manipulate in our favor." Stefan mused, it was the most positive he sounded all night. "Provided of course, you are not the one ensnared."

Xerxes' expression soured. "If you're about to imply she's controlling me, I suggest you don't. No one fuckin' controls me." There was both offense, and a warning in Xerxes' tone.

"For your sake I sincerely hope not." Stefan remained unimpressed. Then his attention turned to Ketna.

Every glance Stefan paid her that night, caused Ketna to grow slowly more concerned that he Knew. She put a conscious effort into relaxing her face and body even as the thought surfaced, to dispel any notion there might be even more for him to be suspicious of. This time his gaze lingered in an uncomfortable pause, studying, calculating, before he spoke.

"Ms. Mavros, don't you have some makeup or hair to fix up?" Stefan said in Ketna's direction, no longer holding back his concept for her quiet presence.

"If you would like me to leave, all you have to do is ask." Ketna didn't wait for the confirmation, taking only enough time to wipe off her fingers and retrieve her hat before standing.

There was not a word said as she made her departure out of the room. The door shut behind her leaving her only to guess as to how the conversation continued without her presence. She could at least 'clean up' a bit from earlier in the meantime.

After a leisurely trip to the bathroom, Ketna returned to the private room. She caught the door open from across the way, before she even approached, thankfully freeing her from playing the simple escort any longer.

Xerxes gave a shake to both Stefan and Gil, saying stiff goodnights as Ketna approached his side. Xerxes seemed distracted in thought, only barely catching a glimpse of Ketna. Ketna was certain she saw his posture relax in her presence. What it meant, she wasn't certain.

"Done in there?" Xerxes thumbed over to the room.

"Yeah, I'm good." Ketna confirmed.

Xerxes grunted an acknowledgement, then as suddenly as before, hooked his arm around Ketna's to lead her outside to the valet.

It was colder outside now, than it had been when they walked inside. Ketna was grateful for the closeness, holding herself closer to Xerxes' body to give her some relief from the cold. Xerxes noticed her tightened grip and glanced down.

"Cold bother you that much?" Xerxes sounded bemused, not annoyed.

"When I'm standing still, it does." Ketna answered, distracted by her surroundings.

The moment they left the entrance, she had been scanning up ahead, looking for their two guests. Thankfully Stefan and Gil had not left yet and were still in view as they were waiting for the valet. As Xerxes checked out with the attendant, Ketna kept a careful eye on the car that was driven to meet the two. The car had a privacy shield that obscured the license plate number. Just as Xerxes had finished with the Valet and they walked to the curb, Ketna caught sight of the car at just the right angle to see the sequence of characters on the plate. She muttered the characters under her breath, drawing Xerxes' attention.

"Wh?" He uttered.

"The license plate of their car." Ketna repeated the sequence. She hesitated then looked up at him. "Could you take that down, please?"

"Yeah yeah." Xerxes made it sound like an inconvenience, but his body language didn't carry the same impression as he brought out his phone.

Ketna repeated the sequence back to him, looking over as he took it down. When they finished, they could see the lights of the car approaching closer toward them. When they were both inside with the doors shut, they could drop the act.

"Fuckin' hilarious watching you act like a nervous little girl-" Xerxes chuffed, pulling out of the driveway. " 'You gonna kill me in my sleep?' " He mockingly raised his voice an octave to make the intent of his imitation more obvious.

Ketna held a light smile. "Have to give some impression that I'm some relatively average woman."

"Didn't keep him from being suspicious." Xerxes noted.

"I noticed- was that the reason why he insisted I leave the room? What did he say?"

"Yeah, wanted to lecture me about my 'taste in women', said you could be a liability." Xerxes paid her a bemused, knowing glance. "Tried to make a threat outta what I stick my dick in getting him compromised."

"Did he specify why?" Ketna asked with a genuine air of caution.

"Something about your work history. Also said he didn't think you got your build from rock climbing."

Ketna relaxed, it wasn't what she had initially feared, she could work with this. "Hmph, Enara is my profile with secretarial and paralegal work history, it's like the stereotypical spy cover. Which, to be fair, I have absolutely used this identity for that."

"You say that like you got multiple profiles." Xerxes stated with a prying curiosity.

"Yes, I do." Ketna answered honestly. This factor would be clear enough on its own eventually as she kept up this specific act, it was easier to be honest about it, now.

There was a pause in the cabin, Xerxes waited at a light before he turned his head to Kenta, eyes narrowed in careful study. "Fake IDs, passports, I get that. But, biometrics?"

The light turned as soon as he asked, drawing away his attention.

"I- have some measure of control over what shows up in a biometric scan, yes." Ketna answered plainly.

"Yeah? How you manage that?" Xerxes was as curious about Ketna's connections to discern her origins, as he was in seeking out the ability for himself.

"Trade secret." Ketna answered coyly. That was something she had no intention of giving out.

Xerxes snorted in resigned amusement.

The conversation reminded her she had yet to check in with Munin. Searching for her bag she withdrew it and quickly found her phone. Munin had sent some messages to her while she was away, he had managed to catch Stefan's visual on one of his drones, and had been diligently following the car as it left. Ketna wordlessly fished Xerxes' phone out of his pocket, to which he loudly protested but didn't prevent her actions in any way.

"Eeyyy!"

"I need the plate number." Ketna was quick to answer while relaying the information between phones.

Xerxes snorted. "Put it back when you're done, aight?" He tried to make it sound like an order but it really didn't.

But Ketna was courteous enough to slip it back into his jacket pocket. As Munin ran the plates and kept track of the car, there wasn't much left for Ketna to keep an eye on at the moment, leaving her with her thoughts on how things played out during dinner.

"You know." Ketna broke the silence. "It was very clear that Stefan didn't appreciate my presence, which makes me wonder." She turned to Xerxes to ask the question. "How did you manage to get him to agree to a meeting with an escort in tow?"

"Said he was bringing his partner with him to the meet. I said I should be able to bring a date of my own. He made a big deal about being inconspicuous, told him there was nothing more suspect than me going to meet him in a private room if he had a bitch of his own and I didn't." Xerxes paid a glance in Ketna's direction, then turned his focus back to the road.

"Huh, surprised that work." Ketna idly spoke.

With there still some time to get back to where they started, and having no desire to be so exposed on her walk back, Ketna got to work on getting dressed in the attire she arrived in. The act of redressing was much easier now that Xerxes wasn't intentionally making it difficult for her.

"That plate gonna get you anything?" Xerxes asked while Ketna was in the middle folding the dress and placing it carefully back in its box.

"He took the time to ensure it was obscured from both eyes and camera, so I'm bound to get something." Ketna paused to look for her pants, speaking again when they were in her hand. "Even if the account is a cover or a shell, it's another activity source I can track."

Xerxes snorted. "Guess you would know about that."

Ketna slipped her pants back on, quickly followed by her loose top and checked her phone. Munin had the details on the plate, but more importantly, he successfully followed the car to where they were staying. This was the closest she had gotten.