Man of War Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We had slowly spread word of what we had discovered from the Batarians. Normally, ordinary crew wouldn't be told, but considering the significance of the mission, I asked that word be passed from my closest subordinate to the ordinary seaman. I had further discussions with the Batarian Chief Petty Officer, and while he didn't know all that much, it was enough to give us reason to believe that first contact with the Asari should be peaceful. I would ensure we approached with caution, our cannon portholes were closed, and that we basically sailed into their waters unarmed. It was taking a chance, as I knew Empire vessels would perhaps fire first at any strange ship that entered our waters, so I was effectively putting trust in people we'd never met. The Batarian had said the Asari would be curious, hesitant, but if that we approached peacefully, they would reciprocate.

It has now been a week since winds were favourable, a little longer since the Empire had a few more citizens for its navy. I could feel an equal amount of excitement and nerves from my fellow officers. They were confident in my decision, believing I had made the right choice, but there was still the fact we were heading into the unknown. My door was always open to their concerns, but none of them had approached me so far. Instead, I headed around on my daily rounds, even if it was just to stop and say hello. On the main deck was Chief Aela overseeing the daily work being carried out. She saluted, noticing my approach. "Captain."

"Chief. How goes it?"

"Keeping busy, sir. You know how it is."

"And the crew?"

She knew the hidden meaning behind my question. "A few are worried. Some are quite excited, as word has passed about a nation of blue females. Most... Well, most really don't care except it might be a chance to finally set foot on land again."

"I don't blame them. I wouldn't mind setting foot on land myself. I love the sea, but even this is a bit much. If contact is peaceful, and they allow us to dock, the crew will be given opportunity to leave." I looked at her, as she returned it. "I'll warn you now though. Desertion of the Emperor's navy will be punished harshly."

"Understood. The crew will be informed before they leave, sir."

"What about you, Chief? How have you enjoyed it so far? If I can say it's been enjoyable..."

"It's hard work, of course. But that's to be expected. And, to be honest, I was expecting more fight back from the crew because I'm a woman. Some clearly don't like being ordered around by one. The rest accept and just get on with it. I think getting stuck in myself and helping out has helped proved I'm worthy of being their Chief."

"And your punishments, when handed out, have been objective and fair, Chief." I was referring to her daily reports, which were always exemplary in their detail.

"Occasionally the crew needs reminding of who is actually in charge. But I haven't had to make the point too often."

"Any crew that might need sending up the chain due to continuous disciplinary issues?"

"Not at the moment, sir. Once or twice, things looked ready to get out of hand, particularly during the fog. Men are superstitious at the best of times, and it almost got too much for a few of them. I don't blame them for it. We all have our superstitions, after all."

"Just remember, the one thing I will not tolerate is disrespect. So you have any major problems, send it up the chain, and I hear about it, rest assured, it will be dealt with."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

"Carry on, Chief."

She saluted and immediately shouted orders at a pair of seaman nearby who had slacked off. They looked at her, slightly concerned, then noticed my presence, and I think nearly shit their pants, immediately putting mop to deck. Their reaction gave me cause to chuckle. Finding myself at the bow, I took the opportunity to relieve myself before circling around the other side, standing beside a watch officer, a fellow I remembered by the name of Smith. There were quite a lot of sailors with surnames such as those, Smith, Baker, Jones, Williams, or Taylor, so most were eventually given nicknames, generally something about their appearance, the way they talked, or perhaps a subtle joke about their first name. Usually it helped build camaraderie. I knew my surname came from the fact my ancestors had probably been sheep-herders. Well, probably not in reality, but that was the joke anyway. Most of those who came from Normandy or Trois-Rivieries had rather different surnames, as did those who came from Prussia, Bebbanburg or Bavaria, though that depended on marriage and ancestry too. Most had long since adopted surnames of the common tongue, though some still clung to regional identities.

Ending up in my usual position on the quarterdeck and bridge, Moreau was continually making minor adjustments at the wheel. Being blown off course a degree or two wasn't a major problem, but during a proper gale, he would have difficulty maintaining course. Pressly appeared content we were heading in the direction I wanted, and was simply tracking our progress and speed. He reported we were making a good average speed and our travel of direction remained correct, and if the winds remained favourable, it would be another five to seven days before we might see our first hint of land in weeks.

I'll admit that everyone was starting to feel tired. Starting to feel the strain of a couple of months at sea. Patrol tours never lasted longer than a month before a ship was docked to resupply and give men a couple of days ashore. I should have known that the peace wasn't to last. It came from the expected source. And it outcome would prove to the crew and the officers that I was a man of my word.

Minor infractions, as I've mentioned before, will generally be handled by Chief Aela or the immediate officer in charge. Issues that fall outside her remit will be sent further up the chain. I would usually only deal with major incidents, such as assault, whether physical or sexual, or even murder. The first thing I knew something was seriously wrong was when even I heard shouting in my cabin. Quickly putting on my coat to investigate, I strode out to see one of our crew members being dragged out by a pair of water officer's. I didn't notice the blood on his shift. Chief Aela followed behind, with numerous other crew members following her, and none of them looked happy. Lawson, Alenko and Jane were quickly at my side. "Captain Alenko. Have two lines of marines form immediately before the quarterdeck."

"Captain," he replied before his voice added to the commotion.

The watch officers kicked the legs out from the man they were holding him, forcing him to his knees, as Chief Aela strode towards me, saluting, before beginning her report. "Attempted murder, sir."

"Of who?"

"One of our new crew, sir."

She meant one of the former Batarians, who had since pledged their loyalty to the Emperor and his Empire, and who I and many others now considered one of us. "Does he still live?"

"The doctors are working on him now. But it was a knife into the stomach, sir."

"How did it happen?"

"That I'm not sure. I will need to interview witnesses before giving my final report, sir. But this crew member was caught in the act."

"Very well. That is all for now, Chief."

She saluted and stood to the side as I approached the accused. He looked up, and tired, fearful eyes looked back into mine. I kept my face blank. "Seaman, you have been accused of attempted murder. What say you?"

He looked away as he replied. "The bastard had it coming."

"Had it coming, sir. Or had it coming, Captain. Know who you are speaking too, seaman. Why did he have it coming? And look at me as you reply."

He looked me in the eyes. Still tired. Still fearful. But also a slight defiance I could begrudgingly respect. "They're not us, sir. Not of the Empire. Not really. False words given to save their necks."

A large crowd had now gathered on the decks. They had all abandoned their posts. If I wanted to, I could have them all punished. I glanced behind to see Alenko's men were already lined up, armed and ready to deal with any attempted mutiny. Looking back at the crowd, I simply asked, "Who here agrees with this seaman that your new crew members are not loyal to the Emperor and the Empire, but perhaps most importantly, to you, their fellow crew members?" There were a few grumbles. "Well, speak up, men! Who here believes they have given false promises to defend the Emperor, the Empire and its people?"

No-one raised a hand. No-one spoke up. The seaman turned and yelled one word. "Cowards!" I'm not heartless. In that moment, I felt pity for him. No doubt they had talked and talked and talked, and then someone thought about making an example, and he had been convinced they would all have his back.

"Chief Aela?"

"Sir?"

"Have the seaman taken below and shackled. Half rations. We will see if his fellow crew member survives or not, and the outcome will affect the punishment given." He was hauled away, at least realising his predicament and remaining quiet as I looked at everyone else. "You have all abandoned your posts. For that, I could have that level of ill-discipline punished. Cut of rations. Floggings. The worst jobs imaginable. However, if you return to your posts immediately, and respect the outcome of whatever happens, I will forget this transgression of duty, and though it will be noted in the official log, I will lessen the seriousness of the circumstances. What say you all?"

I think to all our relief, the lot of them saluted and quietly returned below deck. "Chief Aela?" I felt her presence alongside me. "Did you recognise their faces?"

"Yes, sir. All of them."

"I want a list of their names. For no other reason than if they cause trouble again, we have a case against them."

"Aye, sir. I will hand it in with the report of the incident."

"Thank you, Chief. That is all."

The former Batarian clung to life for two days before Serana came to my cabin to report his passing. It was the second death since departing Arcturus, and she surprised me by being slightly upset, admitting that Chakwas and herself had pooled all their medical knowledge together but simply couldn't save him. They would prepare the body for burial at sea immediately. Once she departed, I called in Lawson and Jane to report what happened. The seaman was still shackled below, so ordered him brought up. I called in Alenko, ordered four lines of marines to the deck to prevent trouble. Chief Aela was summoned, ensuring the list of men she had provided were all present for what was to come, only to be brought up once the guilty was on deck. I then summoned Leliana, as she would have to present too. She walked in, almost expecting what the topic was about. She sat down at the long table with me, but I moved my chair around, close to hers, so I could hold her hand as I explained. She stated immediately it would not be a problem. I'm not sure if it was a brave face or not, but she'd been on the ship long enough now to know what life was like.

The seaman, whose surname was Brown, was brought to the main deck by two watch officer's, and forced to his knees again. Behind, Chief Aela escorted a crowd of men to the deck, where they were lined up to witness what was to come. Two rows of marines were in position behind the group, two lines of marines lined up in front of the quarterdeck. If the crew did not know the serious of the situation before, they would now. Once everyone required was present, it began.

"It has just been reported to me that Seaman Loznik, formerly of Bataria, but now a citizen of Empire after pledging his allegiance, has died from wounds sustained two days ago. The crime is murder. Seaman Brown, your judgement is as follows. For the crime of murder, you shall be hung until your body no longer draws breath. And once you are dead, your body shall be immediately cast into the sea with minimal rites. May the Five grant mercy upon your soul, for you shall find none on this ship."

Hangings at sea were brutal but effective. A rope with noose was thrown over an arm of the centre mast. The two watch officers forced the seaman into position. The noose was placed around his neck and tightened. Leliana spoke a few quiet words to him. The seaman was now beyond frightened. Whether words soothed him or not, only he would know. Once she was done, she stepped back near me, and I quietly told her to turn around. She returned a grateful look as she did so immediately.

The two men holding the rope looked in my direction. I returned a curt nod, and they immediately pulled on the rope. The seaman was immediately elevated from the ground, his feet swinging as his fingers tried to pull at the rope. Many looked away, but I watched, simply to make sure the punishment was carried out. Watching a man choke to death is a horrific experience, one I would not wish anyone else to see. Not only does he choke to death, but he pisses himself, his bowels loosen, and the sounds he made sent a chill even up my spine. The seaman fought for as long as he could until he could fight no more, and his body eventually stilled. Satisfied he was now dead, I looked at the two men holding the rope and nodded again, his body immediately lowered and caught by two others. The rope was removed, his eyes closed. Leliana stepped forward and issues a final few words. Then, without further ceremony, his body was picked up and thrown overboard.

I stepped towards the crew, flanked by Jane and Lawson, Alenko at my back, ready to give the signal if required. Standing just before them, I spoke loud and clear. "Let this be the first, last, and only warning. If this happens again, I will ensure the punishment handed out is harsher. The murder of a crew member of this vessel?" I paused, shaking my head. "It besmirches the crew member himself, this ship and its crew, and the Empire itself. I expected and demand better behaviour. But if you want to act like animals, prepare to be treated like one, and by the Five, you had better hope I'm not in the mood I am now when that happens. I do expect you to instead conduct yourselves like the navy men that I know you are. The funeral for Imperial Navy Seaman Loznik will be tomorrow. Attendance is mandatory. That is all. You are dismissed."

The mood was immediately sombre across the ship. You didn't have to speak to anyone. It was in the faces and eyes of the officers and crew members. It was only the third time I'd ever had to hang a man. Each time, it took a small part of my soul. Condemning a man to death was not easily done. No captain took pleasure in ordering the death of one of his own men.

Leliana visited me that evening as always, first to have dinner, but then I asked her to kneel with me for prayers. I had done it the previous two times, and so I would do it this time too. She grabbed my hand as we took a knee in front of the small altar. I did not ask for forgiveness. Our gods were not like that. But I did ask for understanding.

"Does it weight heavy?" she asked as a little later, a glass of brandy in hand, relaxing together on the lounge.

"Making that sort of decision is never easy. But in front of the crew, I cannot waver. I must be resolute and completely dispassionate."

"What about in privacy with me?"

I glanced at her. "No matter what anyone says, it sticks with you, watching a man you condemned die. But I feel that I must watch it. He had to die for the crime. But I still ordered it. I made other men carry it out. So I stand there and watch every single moment, watching until he has taken his last breath."

"How will the crew react?"

"His closest friends won't be happy. The officers will have to keep on top of them for the next few days. Keep them busy so they don't have time to think nor plan something potentially very stupid."

"And you?"

"I will try and forget about it."

"Do you?"

"Seaman Christopher Smith. Seaman Nathaniel Johnson. Seaman Joseph Brown. Those are the three men I have now condemned as commanding officer of an Imperial vessel." All she did was cuddle into me closer, so I wrapped my left arm around her a little tighter too. "I do remember their names, at least," I muttered.

"I will stay with you tonight. I think you'll need my company."

I wasn't going to complain, draining my glass and leading her to the bed. Once I was just in my breeches as always, I slid under the blankets to join her. She had removed her robes this time, leaving on a thin shirt and long pants, stating it was far too warm last time she remained in robes. Even that simple clothing showed off her body, and I must have had a look in my eye, as she just started to giggle before cuddling into me.

"You're a good man, John Shepard," she whispered, "And you're a great captain."

"I'm a better captain than man?"

That made her look up. She noticed I was joking so just smiled, playfully slapping my shoulder. "You know what I meant," she retorted softly.

"I know."

She kissed me for a moment before settling down again as I turned my head to blow out the candle, and settled down on my side, both arms around her. She fell asleep before me as always. I stayed awake, not thinking about the events of the day, nor the reaction of the men. No, my mind was already focused on the future. About the potential contact with a new race.

Mostly I wondered if it would go better than our first meeting with the Batarians.

*****

Year 2183 of the Empire (since Foundation Year)

Year 979 of the Third Era of Empire (Dragonheart Line)

Saturni, the thirty-first day of First Seed

Evening

I had already discussed with Leliana what I wanted to do this evening. She actually found it amusing. I'm not sure why, but all she did was kiss my cheek and told me to enjoy myself. Honestly, I still didn't understand how she was so accepting. I know many relationships within the Twelve Realms were similar. Sex was something to be enjoyed and there were very few rules about it. Basically, no children, no animals and no family, depending on who they were. Cousins was fine. Siblings was just about acceptable. Parents, aunts and uncles and anyone older was a no-no due to the power dynamics. When it came to sex, our homeland was very open-minded about things.

She also knew I was brooding about what happened the previous day. I was still rather angry about the fact murder had taken place on my ship, enough to piss off any captain of the Imperial Navy. She knew I would feel better after, well, a good fuck. And as we were taking our time developing our relationship, I would invite someone else to my room that evening. She would quite happily join the other officers in the ward room. "Perhaps I will report on relations between your sister and Captain Alenko?"

I had been honest with Leliana about what happened between Jane and I that evening long ago. She was not actually that surprised, suggesting Jane had probably been attracted to me for a long time. Not in the sense of actually following through on it, but the drink had lowered her inhibitions and led to her finally being honest. I let her know nothing had happened since, though I know Jane still thought about it. The light flirting we'd always done had returned but nothing else had happened.

Taking note of who I'd been intimate with, I decided I would follow through on a recent conversation and see where it led. That afternoon, Miranda wandered into my office to make her daily report. Sitting across from me, our conversation eventually petered out, and I enjoyed sitting there in silence, just looking at her. Despite the time at sea, she still managed to somehow make herself look absolutely gorgeous, now that I actually took the time to look at her.