Man of War Ch. 10

Story Info
Murder on the Normandy.
8.8k words
4.72
6.2k
9

Part 10 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/07/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Year 2183 of the Empire (since Foundation Year)

Year 979 of the Third Era of Empire (Dragonheart Line)

Lunae, the twenty-sixth day of First Seed

Afternoon

The fourth thing no sailor enjoys is sailing through thick fog. Most captains won't actually sail through it as it's simply too dangerous, particularly if it's fog so thick, from where I stand on the quarterdeck, I can't even see the bow of the ship. The fog descended during early dawn, and by the time the sun should have appeared on the horizon, we were enveloped in a fog so thick, I'm sure men were praying to the Five. Again, sailors are a superstitious bunch, and fog could be interpreted as a bad sign of things to come.

I ordered the dropping of anchor once it was clear the fog wouldn't clear. We might have been sailing the middle of an enormous ocean, but after our run in with the Batarians, and what we'd been told, there was now a chance we'd run into other ships. Land itself was still miles away, and we had since changed direction, heading south-west. The winds were not yet favourable. Once anchor was dropped because of the fog, we lit lamps and placed those around the ship, while small bells were placed at bow, the sides, and stern, to hopefully warn of anything approaching that we were there. I thought the chances of meeting anyone was minimal, but I wasn't prepared to take the risk. At least, I wasn't yet.

Since there was little any of us could do, I figured it was a good time to update my log and diary, and share other things that I might not have thought of to share. First and foremost, this was a ship of over four hundred people. Many have their stories to share. A few are much closer to me than others. After filling in the usual details, I focused on other matters:

*****

One person I've rarely mentioned during would be Samantha Traynor. It's been amusing watching this polite, friendly civilian gain her sea legs. Her first couple of days at sea, approaching the reef and then passing through it, passed without incident. She was a bit woozy at times, but with calm seas, it didn't take her long to find equilibrium. She was excited as the rest of us when we broke out into open sea, and our working relationship quickly established itself, though to be honest, sometimes I did find it difficult to find jobs for her, as I'm quite happy taking care of my own things. Often I would have her simply liaise between myself and other officer's, taking care of all the administration required. She would gather reports from everyone so I could fill in the ship's log, though there was always paperwork that needed filing, ever more reports writing... It's amazing how much paper is kept, even on a warship. The only time she's struggled was during our first experience of a proper oceanic storm. But so did many others, and she continued to work diligently despite spending half her time with her head in a bucket.

Mister Taylor has proven to be a responsible, effective supervisor of the supply chain. He saved coin by striking numerous deals prior to our departure, and ensured we have more than enough supplies to last us at least a year at sea. In fact, I sometimes wonder if he didn't purchase too much, though I wouldn't complain about that. I'd rather have too much than not enough, particular regarding food and water. He has proven his experience as the 'man of supply' during our time at sea so far. Each and every day, he and his mate, Chambers, do a stock check, counting how many barrels and sacks of everything we need and what is remaining. My desk is already piled high with paperwork, filled from top to bottom with figures. He is particularly authoritative with his command of the supply chain, and will give nor ask any favour. He has a role and he is fulfilling it wonderfully well.

I must add that Mister Taylor is not the only coloured gentleman currently serving aboard the Normandy. I don't have an exact count but I believe there are at least twenty sailors of colour, all able or ordinary seaman at the moment, though I have heard talk that one or two may earn promotion during this expedition. I mention this as I have been heartened by the lack of negativity towards those who don't look exactly like us, nor lack of any incidents between the sailors. The Imperial Navy cares little for the colour of those who serve it, judging people on character and their value as a sailor rather than skin colour, and the Empire itself generally lives by those same ideals, but we have all read or heard of incidents that speak poorly of a few ignorant people within the borders of our Empire.

Chief Petty Officer, Master-at-Arms Aela Grettasdottir, convinced me during her interview that she would be the perfect sailor for the position, and by the Five, she has proven it quickly since our departure from Arcturus. She already commands the respect of all sailors who report to her, and her opinion in matters of discipline are readily listened to by those she in turn reports to. She is diligent, effective, and a credit to this ship, her uniform, and this crew. I only wish I could mould her and have another half a dozen of someone like her. Not only does she already command respect from the crew, and ensure discipline is maintained, but she is also popular. Even during the incident involving Sister Laetitia, and the Able Seaman Jones requiring punishment, the crew understood her role and the fact discipline had to be maintained, and that the punishment handed out was just. It was the only time I was concerned that the crew would turn on her, but they exceeded my expectations in how they understood. Maybe I underestimate even the common sailor at times.

I won't lie and say the sailors work without complaint. They complain nearly every shift about something. The cramped conditions. The food, which I believe is much better than normal. The wet. The damp. At least it's not too cold. The smell is horrendous down below, but the average sailor quickly grows used to it. The men and women have faith, not only in the Five, but also in those who command them. Many know that death lingers close over their shoulder, watching and waiting to snatch their life. It's not something they think about, or at least they try not to, but it's a presence they sometimes feel, particularly when battle nears. As requested, most are single, without families waiting for their return in Arcturus. That does not mean we will waste their lives, but it will prevent the heartache and sense of loss those left behind might feel if this all goes tragically wrong.

Finally, I must speak of the Normandy itself. The captain, his officers, and the crew, eventually grow to love their vessel, and it is already obvious the Normandy has her own character and personality. The way she rides the waves. The noises she makes. She is our home. She is our protector. And I know the men and women currently aboard her would give their lives to ensure her safe return to the Empire. I give thanks to the Emperor and the Five for allowing me to command her. It is an honour that simple thanks does not seem to suffice. She has already proven to be a remarkable vessel, having seen us through storms and combat with barely a scratch. It is my solemn vow that I will return her home, and can only hope that I will remain her commander for years to come.

Captain John Shepard

Imperial Navy, in service to Emperor Uhtred VIII

26.3.2138

*****

Wandering back outside, the thick seemed to even thicker than before. The lack of noise would have been disconcerting at any other time, but I knew the crew below were quieter than normal due to a possibly growing fear. That was something watch officers would have to keep a handle of. Sailors hated not being able to see around them. It was particularly difficult when near the coastline and in rough seas, dreading your ship slamming into the rocks or ending up beached. More than one ship had ended up lost over the years in the fog and crashed, more than once into the reef that rings us. Even taking the greatest of precautions is sometimes not enough. Fate and the weather can be harsh mistresses.

"Ever experienced fog like this, Captain?" Miranda enquired.

"No, Lieutenant. This must be what one would experience on the open sea. Never seen it this thick before in my life. The fact we can barely see the bow..."

"I've experienced fog a few times. Once we were patrolling south-east, right by the reef. No more than a nautical mile or two. I came off watch, slept for five hours, yet by the time I returned, we couldn't see a thing. What was worse was that the wind picked up and we ended up blown right off course, and without being able to judge our position, as we didn't know what direction we were travelling, we simply had to drop anchor and drag the ship to a stop. When the fog finally lifted, we were no more than one hundred metres from the reef. Thankfully we were broadside to it. If we'd been pointing at it, I doubt we'd have been able to turn the ship without hitting it."

"Sometimes it takes more luck than skill to survive such events."

"I think we were all believers in the Five after that day. Only the gods and good luck prevented disaster."

We did a couple of tours around the deck, from stern to bow. Bells would be rung every couple of minutes to give away our position. I know the men to the side of the deck would be most concerned about a ship suddenly appearing out of the gloom. Being hit in the front or rear would cause damage, but it's easily survivable. Being hit in the side was something every sailor feared, particularly if hit at speed while stationary. It was particularly galling as these sorts of accident would be between ships from the Empire, and would be embarrassing to both captains. I'd only read of two such incidents, but that didn't stop the fear of it happening to us right now.

Ending up at the bow again, I took the opportunity to relieve myself, much to the amusement of Miranda when I had no problem doing it, and at least I was polite enough to warn her, watching her take a step back. I just glanced at her as it flowed. "I'm sure you're used to it by now, Lieutenant."

"No such thing as privacy on a ship, sir. More than aware. Still, unusual that the captain would just casually whip it out and start peeing."

"Needed to go. And I'm sure nothing surprises you."

I could see out of the corner of my eye that she was staring straight ahead though glanced when she noticed me look back. "I think you're just showing off how easy it is for men."

"Well, at least we rectified the situation quickly by giving you buckets to use while we use the bow."

"Some men still like to watch, sir. What is the interest in watching women relieve themselves?"

I could only shrug as I finished doing the same thing. Resuming our walk, we stopped to chat with the occasional watch officer or seaman, all of them busy with tasks given to them by either Aela or one of her subordinates. I made sure I greeted them all. Most I didn't know by name, but I was starting to recognise most faces. They would always salute, as required, but while most would be rather lazy, the salutes given to Miranda and I were respectful, and meaningful. The crew appeared genuinely content, which pleased me. I think meeting the Batarians, despite it ending in battle, had assured them the mission wasn't a waste of time. And now that we knew others were out there, we just had to find them.

"Sir, may I ask a private question?"

"Well, it depends on how private. Do you have concerns with myself or one of your fellow officers?"

"Not at all. But we obviously speak in the wardroom and, well, we were wondering about Leliana being courted by yourself..."

"Is it causing problems?" I asked carefully.

"Again, not at all, sir. In fact, mostly we were wondering if you were ever going to invite her to remain with you in your cabin, I mean permanently?"

"That's rather forward, Lawson."

"I mean no offence, sir."

"None was taken. Just a little surprised, is all. Regarding your question, I will be honest. I have not considered it as I do not wish my private life to be a subject of rumour or gossip. At least by escorting Leliana to her quarters of an evening, everything is open and there are no secrets. Yes, I am courting her. Obviously we share mutual affection and we care for another. But I must also lead and set the example expected."

"Would you like her to remain with you?" she asked bluntly.

"Absolutely," I admitted.

"She has remained in your quarters occasionally, sir. It caused no issue with either officers nor crew."

"And nothing untoward occurred either," I replied, giving her a sideways glance. I would not explain what happened behind closed doors, but she would have understood.

"Of course, sir. Understood." Whether she actually believed me or not didn't matter. I just would not tolerate being a subject of rumour or innuendo. "Are you aware of how... um..." She trailed off, obviously unsure how best to ask the question I knew she wanted to.

"I can obviously take a guess and suggest you refer to Captain Alenko and Acting Lieutenant Shepard?" She nodded, and I relented. "I believe Alenko is making his feelings clear though not his intentions. As for Jane, it is for her to decide. But she has not raised the issue with me thus far. They are adults, but they must remember they are also officers. Alenko will be warned once. Break her heart, and I'll break him."

"What else are big brothers for?"

I couldn't help chuckle. "Granted, this is a unique experience, regarding a fully unisex crew, but even the Lord Admiral knew that relationships between shipmates would start. It's why we have two doctors."

"And if I may be forward again, sir. The other women..."

I gave her a sideways glance. "Lieutenant Lawson, anyone would think you would be jealous." When I noticed her cheeks colour, I couldn't help but chuckle and wonder what it was about me on this ship. "Speak freely, Miranda."

"Do you not find me attractive too, Shepard?"

She rarely called me that, even when off duty, so she was letting me know then and there what she thought. I stopped and met her eyes. "Absolutely. But I was merely keeping it professional between us. If you're aware of Leliana, and aware of the other women, then you must know that..." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Sorry, Shepard."

"No, don't be. I'm flattered you're interested in return."

"But?" she asked, and I heard sadness in her tone.

"No but, Miranda. Just... It's difficult as it is, juggling a woman I care for deeply, then other women I care for, find attractive, and then there are others who might also be interested too. I'm only one man."

We continued walking, and thankfully she moved the subject on, but at least I now knew what she thought. Maybe that would help ease her mind, though I had no idea what I would do about it. "It is a little strange. The last ship I served, I was only one of around half a dozen women on board. And even I would admit it could be slightly intimidating when it's a ship full of men. Most are perfect gentlemen, from the captain to the ordinary seaman, but there are always one or two who cause concern. I've been witness to more than one hanging..."

I remained silent for a moment as it was obvious to what she referred. "These are very special circumstances. I believe that women were recruited from many other ships to bring at least a reasonable number for this journey. I can't speak for all the men on this vessel, but let's hope we don't have to carry out the same punishment. Floggings are bad enough. Hangings, even if entirely justified, can put a crew on edge. Sometimes they need to happen though."

I left Miranda to it as I continued my stroll. I would talk to anyone who wanted a word. I did not her complaints. Crew should only complain to their superior officer. If they happened to be the problem, then it was accepted practice to go higher, though that in itself could cause tensions. No, I simply showed my face and talked to them, not quite as equals, but to show that I wasn't the bastard most probably thought I was. Whether it always worked or not, I'm not sure. Crew members could hold grudges for a long time.

And the fog remained...

*****

Year 2183 of the Empire (since Foundation Year)

Year 979 of the Third Era of Empire (Dragonheart Line)

Veneris, the thirtieth day of First Seed

Midday

The sails have been hoisted and we are moving once again!

Winds picked up on Mercuri, and basically blew the fog away, so that by the morning of Iovis, the skies were clear, the sea was calm but there was a wind that meant we could weigh anchor and finally be underway. There was a loud cheer from the crew below when the boat started to move, and the sounds as the boat hit the waves, or made the usual groans, was music the ears. It was such a relief, I think one or two may have almost wept.

Even better was that the Batarians we had taken prisoner, most had already offered to pledge allegiance to the Emperor and Empire. Pledging to the Five was not necessary. We accepted any religion, though if they wished to convert, Leliana would happily perform the small ceremony.

The allegiance ceremony was planned for Solis. First, there were morning prayers. I made sure it occurred on the main deck, and invited the Batarians to witness. They were surprised we had no religious doctrine written down, explaining our faith was generally personal. There were songs that we sang that venerated the gods, but there were few rules and certainly none written down. People lived how they thought the gods would approve, which generally meant being good people at heart. Whatever the case, the Batarians would not be forced to convert. They could continue to practice their own religion, or even have no religion whatsoever.

Morning prayers complete, two of the Imperial Marines approached me, carrying a flag of Empire. My officers lined up in two rows in front of me, one to the left, one of the right, facing each other. The Batarians were lined up at the far end of the two columns and instructed to approach me one at a time. Upon standing before me, they saluted, rested their hand on the flag, raised their left hand, and pledged their loyalty to Emperor Uhtred VIII, the Empire of the Twelve Realms, and the officers and crew of the Normandy. All those we captured pledged their allegiance.

I told all of them, "You are no longer Batarians. You are now citizens of the Empire." I ensured that anything they wore signified them as Batarians was removed immediately. They were now one of us.

The Five were now favouring us with a strong wind in the direction we wanted. Pressly had spent half a day once the wind truly picked up continually assessing our position, using the map we had used since departing Empire waters and that taken from the Batarian vessel. Once he was confident of our position, he relayed orders to the Quartermaster. South-west, towards the Asari.

Winds were not particularly favourable when the fog had first disappeared, leaving us heading west rather than south-west, more towards the Turians. We came across no approaching ships, with nothing on the horizon except ever more blue water, before the finally winds changed in the direction we wanted, leaving us to surmise that we were not close to land, or at least not close to Turian territorial waters. Approaching them didn't exactly concern myself, I figured they would as curious about us as we would be about them, and I'd ensure we hoisted the flags to signify we were of the Empire, not Bataria. But my original decision had been to sail for the Asari, and for now, I was sticking to that decision. I didn't particularly want to get off on the wrong foot with another nation, and there had been enough in the Batarians tone to suggest the Turians may shoot first and ask questions later.