Manon and Belle Pt. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"After I made Belle punish me, yes, it is." Manon told her. "Oh well then miss, shall I help you get ready for bed then?" she said brightly.

"You are a quick study aren't you?" Manon said. "Sorry miss?" Melissa asked.

"Don't pretend you don't understand dear, you just told me to go to bed, but in a clever way, that means a servant can't be punished for being rude," Manon said.

"Oh. Sorry miss. I had to learn that with guests miss, well, other guests I mean." She helped Manon up anyway, but then turned to her, grinning mischievously.

"Perhaps like I've heard miss Belle say, you'd ought to punish me, to remind me not to be rude? Hopefully not that much though," she added hastily. Manon roared with laughter, hearing Belle do the same from the bedroom.

"Melissa, I shall be more than happy to apply some correction. Though my dear, how much and how severe is really up to me, isn't it?" Manon said, holding her chin up so that they were looking at each other.

Manon saw Melissa swallow nervously. "Yes miss, of course it is," she said softly.

"Good, now, your permission to remain clothed is over, so get Belle to help you undress. By the time I finish in the bathroom, I want you naked and chained in bed, understand? You may use the bathroom first, but hurry."

"Yes miss," she said and scurried off. Belle, wearing a nightdress only now, had been watching. "Can we keep her miss? I mean is there some way we can?" she asked.

"Just what I was wondering Belle. Now go and chase her up, I don't want her getting too comfortable and forgetting her place," Manon said and a grinning Belle left to harass her and get her into bed.

Manon passed Melissa coming out of the bathroom, Belle was growling at her and Mel was running away from her, the sound of slaps on her tight little bottom and giggling echoing from the bedroom as Manon undressed and got ready for bed. Belle had left her a nightdress out, so Manon slipped it on, returning to the bedroom.

She found a red faced and red bottomed Melissa lying naked on her tummy, her wrist cuffs now tightly held together behind her back and her ankles tightly locked together as well. Belle was lying on her side, slowly stroking Melissa's back, who was wriggling slightly as a result.

"Been having trouble Belle?" Manon asked smiling, as she slipped into bed alongside Melissa.

"Not really miss. Melissa seemed to have some doubts about my authority, so I was just reminding her." Melissa giggled, not looking much like she'd learned any lesson at all.

"I see, perhaps we shall have to have more lessons tomorrow," Manon said, and this time both her girls giggled. "Settle down you two, I'm tired now and need to sleep." Melissa leaned over a little, and gave Manon a quick kiss on the shoulder where she could reach her. "Good night miss," she said, echoed by a good night from Belle, as the turned the lights out.

Sometime during the night, Manon woke from a horrible dream, seeing that awful arrow punching out thorough Claire's throat, except that this time it was Melissa. She got up and went to the bathroom, and was splashing water on her face, when Belle came in behind her, putting her arms around Manon's waist as she stood at the sink, fighting back tears.

"Nightmare miss?" Belle asked quietly. Manon nodded yes, and turned in Belle's arms, burying her face in Belle's warm welcoming hug. "It's alright, really," Belle said, storing Manon's back. "It will take time to get over," she said, holding Manon.

Belle saw Manon back into bed, and tucked her in beside the still peacefully sleeping Melissa, sitting on the floor beside Manon until she saw her fall asleep again.

They all woke early next morning, and after a light breakfast went out. Melissa hadn't found out anything much, though she did report that several of the staff were leaving. They were all women, and had handed their notice in, disturbed by rumours that the Duke was introducing laws banning women from a lot of occupations. Those that had resigned were from places like Burgundy and Castile or Aragon and were going home.

Over breakfast Belle had reminded Manon that the dressmakers and cobblers all had things ready for them, even though now some of them weren't needed, they'd been intended for Claire and Kitty.

So, with Melissa again on a lead and wearing her chains, Manon first went next door to withdraw some more money. To her surprise she also found that the Bank had a letter waiting for her, that they'd been asked to keep for her. It was from Sir James. It was very brief, telling her that he'd got nothing useful from his enquiries in Marseilles and had been ordered back to London.

Next stop was at the dressmakers, who were clearly more than a little peeved at Manon, though they brightened up a bit when she paid them. There were two outfits originally intended for Claire and Kitty, which Manon asked to be altered to fit Melissa. Manon asked Melissa if that was a problem, as she herself was uncertain about it, but Melissa's practical streak came to the fore, and she said that she couldn't see good clothes wasted.

The alterations weren't major, and the dressmakers said that they would deliver to the hotel by the evening. Even with them not quite fitting properly, Manon had really liked the way they looked on Melissa. They had yellow tops with a square white collar. High waisted, worn untucked over a yellow skirt, that came to just above Melissa's knees, though Manon asked for them to be shortened to mid thigh.

Stockings were off the shelf, white, with yellow ribbons to tie them closed around the thighs or for the shorter ones below the knee. The bra and knickers were also off the shelf, though Manon rejected the bras, saying to Melissa's blushes they weren't needed, and the knickers, plain white with a matching yellow trim, and a little yellow bow on the front were exchanged for a smaller size to fit a beaming Melissa.

The cobblers was more difficult. Manon and Belle's shoes and boots, a pair of each, fit perfectly, but Melissa had tiny feet, and the shoes that had been made for Claire and Kitty swamped her. Manon paid for them, and extracted a promise they'd be donated to an orphanage, but bought a pair of shoes they had in stock for Melissa.

They were a bit 'little girl' in style, dark brown shoes with a buckled strap over the instep, but Melissa, who it turned out had never had a new pair of shoes in her life, was so delighted with them Manon bought them anyway. She also bought a pair of ankle boots for her, as they'd all noticed more than a hint of autumn in the air this morning when they came out.

Manon wouldn't let Melissa wear her new shoes when they left, but the girl clutched the cloth bag containing them and her boots to herself tightly, and kept thanking Manon until she threatened to gag her if she didn't pipe down.

Belle got an outraged look from Melissa when she suggested that gagging seemed like a good idea anyway, before the pair of them dissolved in giggles. Manon then threatened to gag the pair of them if they didn't behave, but that only caused more giggles. Well, Manon said "we'll see who's laughing later, I feel quite well enough to spank the pair of you," which finally quietened them down.

At about noon they made it back to the market, to find Madame Grumpy, as Manon now thought of her, waiting for them. "You're back then," she said.

"Apparently so," Manon replied. That got a grunt, but no further comment.

"So," she said, "I wasn't sure if you wanted indoor or outdoor things for girlie there, so I sorted some of both out. It's all good stuff mind, pre-owned, but I've cleaned it all and repaired it if needed myself."

"Oh, and I'd got some nice coats, so I put them by too, the weather's changing as I'm sure you can tell. There's a few of them, would do any of you," she said. Manon got the impression that somehow this woman had arranged the weather to help her sales pitch, but as soon as she and Belle started to sort through things, they found that the clothes were easily as good quality as they'd been told.

There were the makings of at least two every day, or working outfits for Melissa, which Manon quickly sorted out. Two skirts, one calf length in a green wool and a thigh length one, in a red wool. They both had plenty of wear left in them. There were several blouses, mostly white, but one light blue, another pale green with some pretty embroidery at collar and on the sleeves.

Melissa was looking bug eyed at all of this, and got more so as Belle sorted through a pile of underwear, and set aside several pairs of bloomers and chemise tops, reasoning that some extra layers would be needed as it got colder.

There was a curtained off area, a small square at the back of the stall, that the stall holder nodded to. "Put your girl in there, I'll test this lot for fit. Come back after lunch, I'll have any alterations done that are needed and have wrapped everything for you." Belle unlocked the chains connecting Melissa's restraints and pushed her towards the curtained off area, so that she could try things.

"Well, luckily we know of a nice place nearby," Manon said, getting a fleeting smile from the woman in return. "Price?" Manon asked.

"Ah well, we can get to haggling when you get back," she said following Melissa into the cubicle and pulling the curtain closed behind her. Almost immediately they heard Melissa squeak, and then, "I've 7 children girl, and 17 grandchildren, you haven't got anything I haven't seen before."

There was a slapping sound, followed by "yes miss" from Melissa. Another sharper retort preceded, "Gran will do fine girl, I haven't been a miss in a long time." "Yes Gran," Manon and Belle heard, and laughed.

Madame Grumpy didn't need any help it seemed. "Miss, over there, our friend from yesterday is watching us," Belle said. Manon turned slowly to find popinjay from yesterday watching them from across the square. When he saw Manon watching him back, he sneered and turned his back, but didn't leave.

Manon left Belle at the stall, and strolled around the market a little, looking into the covered food market. Both were quiet, certainly more so than she'd have expected in a busy city, and a few of the food stalls hadn't even opened. A sure sign of uncertainty and nervousness if ever she'd seen it.

As she strolled, she noted that Popinjay and his little squad of constables moved along with her, never getting any closer, but not getting any further away either. Just as she was becoming irritated at this, she saw Belle wave at her, and walked back to her.

Melissa, looking a little flustered, was having her chains done up again, carefully not looking at madame Grumpy, who was openly grinning at her. "Fine girl you've got there. Not much needs doing, and nothing tricky. A couple of hours, and I'll be done," she said.

Manon gave her a little bow, and led Melissa off on her lead, Belle bringing up the rear. They looked around a little more, without finding anything of interest, and headed back to the cafe, where pleasingly they were warmly welcomed.

They had lovely lunch, that Manon and Belle both enjoyed a lot. Presumably Melissa did as well, though since she attacked her food with a single minded ferocity and said almost nothing throughout, it was a little hard to tell. When after absorbing a second dish of ice cream that a smiling waitress brought her, Melissa sat back, Manon asked, "Dear girl, do they not feed you at the hotel?"

"Well miss, that sort of depends. If I'm, er, serving guests," she said, hesitating.

"Go on on girl, I know what your duties are apart from being a bell hop, and I don't mind," Manon told her.

"Well, thank you miss," Melissa said, though her blushing didn't fade at all, "I mostly eat whatever the guests give me. Outside of that I get breakfast, usually just coffee and bread, and something in the evening. Whatever's left when the kitchen closed for the night. I do better when M. du Valle is around, he always made sure I got extra," she added.

"Er, miss, is there a bathroom I could use?" she asked, and Belle led to her a side door, marked with symbols for toilets, and came and sat down.

"You know Belle, that wasn't true, what I said," Manon mused. "What's that miss?" Belle asked.

"When I told Melissa I didn't mind about her role as the hotel's ships girl, so to speak. I mean I don't about it in her past, but I very much do mind now, she's ours now."

"Something to do with the binding miss?" Belle asked.

"Well that can't create feelings where they didn't exist, but yes, I think so, that little menace has snagged my affections, and the binding is exaggerating that."

"Well, you don't normally mind sharing miss?" Belle asked.

Manon barked a laugh, "well no Belle, I don't, but sharing my girls, whether or not I am involved is different from some stranger having use of them. That I don't like."

Melissa came back and sat down, looking a bit subdued. "Mel what is it," Belle asked. "Er, I may have eaten too much? I've got stomach ache," she said forlornly, making Belle and Manon laugh.

"Miss, our friend is out there still," Belle said quietly. Manon had seen popinjay walk past the window twice, she could see the street in the mirror she was facing. "Yes, I saw him," she said, annoyed again now.

"I don't like him miss," Melissa said. "The way he looks at me, makes my skin crawl. We had a guest once looked at me like that, like I was piece of meat. Eric wouldn't let me serve him, even though he offered to pay extra."

Manon paid the bill, again leaving a large tip, and they walked slowly back towards the stall. Suddenly losing patience with this little man, who was still following them with his team of constables, Manon stopped Belle and handed her Melissa's lead.

They just turned a corner, so when popinjay turned it to, he found himself face to face with a very angry Manon. "Why, you tiresome little wretch, are you constantly in my shadow?" Manon said to him icily.

The constables stirred uneasily, Belle had dropped Melissa's lead and pushed her back, stepping to one side with one hand on her sword hilt and the other on her pistol, though it was still holstered.

"I, I am the Duke's servant, I go where I please!" he answered, trying to puff himself himself up. Even though in reality he was at least three or four inches taller than Manon, he clearly didn't feel like he was, and he tried to back up, but his guards were too close and her couldn't.

"I don't give a pig's fart for where you go, so long as it isn't following me," Manon said.

"How dare you!" he started to bluster, but fell silent with a squawk of surprise when Manon stepped very close to him. "If I see you near me again, I will cut your pathetic excuse for a prick off, and feed it to you, do you understand. I have diplomatic immunity, so I'm perfectly happy to do it."

That of course was an outright lie, not only did Manon not have immunity, but the Wardrobe would abandon in her in an eye blink if she caused an incident like that. But he didn't know that.

The constables had back up, letting him take a pace back. "I shall file a report, you can't go around threatening the Duke's own officers" he declared.

"File away, and don't forget the details of you being an annoying officious little twerp," Manon said, but his English wasn't good enough to follow that, though the general gist of Manon's comments must have been clear.

He huffed and walked off back the way they'd come, his fat little nose in the air.

Melissa came back and handed Manon her lead, staying very close and very quiet as they walked back to the stall. As they got closer, they saw and then heard a heated exchange between a young woman and the stall holder, and then the young woman stalked away, brushing past them, clearly very angry and close to tears.

She was dressed in an Advocate's black robes and cloak, shiny back shoes with the big old fashioned gold buckle, and a leather portfolio bulging with papers under her arm. As soon as the young woman had turned away, Manon had seen the stall holder's face switch instantly from anger to sadness, though as they got there, she was impassive again.

"Trouble with the law?" Manon asked, presuming the young lawyer had been serving papers on the stall holder or something. She was young, so that sort of relatively menial job was often what new attorneys got given.

The question was ignored at first, as four paper wrapped bundles were pulled up and placed on the counter. "I can find you a porter for those if you aren't going far," she said.

"Well if you are offering that for free, of course," Manon said, and the bargaining started in earnest. Manon's position was weak, she'd already conceded wanting the goods and had them altered to fit Melissa, so she had to rely on sheer unreasonable stubbornness as her main tactic.

This didn't really get her anywhere useful, as madame Grumpy could have out stubborned a mule, but it seemed that like Manon and she enjoyed a good haggle, so that didn't stop her engaging in battle.

Eventually a deal was reached, a fair one Manon had to admit, and with a loud whistle from madame Grumpy, a small boy magically appeared. "Go fetch your brother and his hand cart boy, and be quick about it, I've work for him."

"Yes gran," the urchin said easily evading the half hearted swipe that came his way as he ran off.

"She's my youngest, the lawyer. You haven't heard then?" she asked Manon. "Heard what?"

"The news. The Duke's announced new laws, prohibiting women from certain jobs, law and doctoring would you believe, as well as others. Who does the fool think is going to deliver babies? Anyway, parlement are lap dogs, so they'll pass it."

"That's bizarre," Manon said.

"Tell me about it. There's more, he's dismissed all the women from the household guard, that's almost of half of them, and folk are saying he'll do the same with the army and navy next. There are already mercenaries from Burgundy and Switzerland and god knows where else being recruited as replacements. Some are here already, which seems a bit quick."

"He's even recalled his youngest sister to the palace, from up north. My second daughter's husband served under her when he was in the army, worships the ground she walks on. And now he's had her dismissed from the army, like she was some crook. At least his other sisters are safely married and away from this. Don't suppose it will be long before he has her married off either."

The reappearance of the small boy, who Manon noted stayed carefully out of range of his Gran's reach, together with a gangly teenage boy so obviously his brother given how alike they were, made her break off.

"Where to then?" she asked Manon.

"The Grand Hotel, on main square, wait for us there," Belle replied, flicking the older boy a coin who caught it and made it disappear deftly. "That's got friends if everything arrives safely," Belle said. The boys loaded the parcels up on the hand cart, and disappeared off quickly.

"Thank you for that, but we had agreed that transport was included," she said.

"We did," Manon said, "but that was for them not you," she said getting a grin back in answer to her own.

"What will she do? Your daughter?" Manon asked.

"Leave," she answered succinctly. "My girl's not the marrying kind if you catch my drift, and with the Duke's views about what he and his cabal call 'unnatural practices' it's not only having no work she's got to worry about."

"Where will she go?" Manon asked.

"Burgundy. She's a clever girl, comes from her mother's side," she said with a chuckle. "Speaks French and English of course, but she's passable German and Spanish as well. There'll be work of some sort for her there, even if it won't be easy, it will be better than here."

On that depressing note, they took their leave of her and walked back to the hotel. They found the two boys and their hand cart waiting for them, and Belle tipped them again and then the hotel's own porters, to get everything moved up to their room.