Mariel's Magic Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Still wearing their jackets, they went outside with their drinks to stand on the terrace overlooking the ocean and were greeted by the continuous barking of the sea lions on the nearby rocks.

"They're so loud," marveled Adriana, "and it sounds like a lot of them. Do they ever stop barking like that?"

"I don't know, they're always barking when I come here."

Accompanying the sea lions was the sound of the big waves crashing on the rocks below them. It was cool, and Jonathan put his arm around her waist, which is what he would always do with his former girlfriend. She looked at him, a little startled.

He let go, "Er... sorry... I just thought you might be cold."

"No, that's OK, it is cold... I liked it. Just surprised." She leaned into him, and he put his arm back around her, wondering, is it time to kiss her now? No. They finished their drinks standing there, enjoying each other's warmth, until a woman poked her head out of the door and told them their table was ready.

When he made the reservation, he requested a table next to the west side windows, and luckily, that is what they gave him. Even at night, the restaurant offered a breathtaking view of the ocean because the sky was clear, and the moon was out. They could see the white streaks of guano staining the seal rocks and could even make out the dark shapes of sea lions moving about.

Jonathan earned a decent living and decided to spend some of it this night. The table was set with sparkling dishes and glassware. Even the cutlery was beautiful. The waiter came over with the menu and wine list, and they both decided to have the same: lobster bisque, salad, grilled salmon, potato puree, and grilled vegetables. The waiter took their orders and placed warm crusty French bread on the table, along with whipped butter and virgin olive oil.

"I hope you like it," Jonathan said. "I haven't been here for at least a year, but it was always good.

"It smells delicious, and yes, this is definitely not Duluth."

The waiter brought over and uncorked the Reisling wine they ordered.

"Here's to you, Adriana," said Jonathan, "I'm glad Aunt Carol sent you to me," and raised his glass.

"And here's to you," she said, unsure what else to say. But she raised her glass anyway.

They started with the lobster bisque, which was creamy and buttery and went well with the wine. Jonathan could not help but dip his bread in the bowl. It was rich and luxurious, with pieces of lobster providing texture, along with the onions, celery, and carrots.

"This is incredible," Adriana said. "Did you used to come here a lot?"

"Yeah, I had a girlfriend, and this was her favorite place in the city."

"Had a girlfriend? It didn't work out?"

"Yeah, I guess not. But when we broke up, we stayed friends. I still talk to her, and she's still in love with the woman she left me for."

"Woman? I guess it was difficult for you to compete with that."

"Yeah, I guess so."

As they moved onto the salmon, they became more and more comfortable with each other. The outside was seared to a crisp, while the inside was moist and flaky. With the bread to soak up the juices, it turned out to be the perfect meal. Then they had coffee and shared a cheesecake, putting their heads together as they each forked pieces of the dessert from its place in the center of the table.

They left the table with their coffee and went back to the terrace to look out once more at the sea. Jonathan desperately wanted to kiss Adriana but figured it was too soon. It was enough to stand close to her, listening to the sea.

"I have to work tomorrow," Jonathan said, "but we could have dinner together again if you like. And, if you get bored, you can hang out at my place. But the next day is Saturday, and that's when we can take a little trip up to the wine country if you still want to go. What do you think?"

"Dinner tomorrow sounds nice, and the wine country sounds great. I think I'm going to play tourist tomorrow and wander around the city."

"Well, tomorrow night, then," said Jonathan.

They got a ride back, and Jonathan dropped her off at her hotel, walking her to her room.

"Goodnight, Jonathan, I had a wonderful time," then she pecked him on the cheek and turned to open the door.

"Goodnight, Adriana. It was great being with you tonight."

Chapter 2: Falling in Love

The next day was Friday, and she was supposed to have dinner with him, but by 10 a.m., a crisis at work had developed, and he had to cancel. Adriana told him he did not have to apologize, and she would be able to amuse herself. She spent the day wandering through Chinatown, riding cable cars, eating lunch at Fisherman's Wharf, and going to the DeYoung Museum. She bought souvenirs and found a post office where she could send them home to her mom.

About 9:00 a.m. the next day, Saturday, she walked the two blocks to Jonathan's apartment. He was going to take her to the wine country so they could both see the sights, sample some wine, and take photos. They rode an Uber to pick up a rental car, and by 10 a.m., they were driving up Lombard Street towards the Golden Gate Bridge. The morning fog coming into the bay prevented Adriana from seeing anything other than the cars on the span. She was disappointed because she wanted to see the bay.

"We'll see it on the way back," said Jonathan, "when the fog burns off."

The thick fog continued for a mile or two after leaving the bridge and entering Marin County, then turned to cloud-like tatters, and then was gone, leaving a clear blue sky, as they drove past Sausalito, Mill Valley, and San Rafael, before turning off the freeway to head for the wine country.

They were going to Sonoma Valley, sometimes called The Valley of the Moon, which was home to many small vineyards. For an artist, this was much more inspirational than the manicured vineyards of Napa Valley, with their chalet-like wineries, cellars, and tasting rooms.

About 11 a.m., they stopped on a low hill overlooking a patchwork of small homes, each surrounded by one or two acres of grapes. Jonathan had his camera out with its long lens, snapping photos in every direction. Adriana had a 10x12 black sketchbook and pencil and settled herself on a small tree stump.

Surprised, Jonathan asked, "You're not going to take pictures?"

"No, I thought I'd try drawing."

"Are you an artist?"

"Oh God, no. I saw this sketchbook in Japantown and just felt I should buy it. My old boyfriend in Minnesota had one like this and was always doing the most amazing things. I envied him. So, why not?"

She sat down with her pencil, gazed at the scene in front of her, and started to draw. Jonathan moved to several different locations, snapping image after image. After fifteen minutes, he came back to where Adriana was sitting, and she was no longer drawing. She just sat there, eyes wide, and staring at the sketchbook in front of her. Something seemed wrong.

"Is everything OK, Adriana? You look weird."

She raised her eyes to him slowly, then turned back to her page, saying quietly, "Look," gesturing to the drawing in front of her.

Jonathan stood behind her and saw on the page an exquisite rendering of the scene spread out in front of Adriana.

"Wow, that's beautiful."

"I know," said Adriana. "But I don't know how I did this. I've never drawn anything like this. It's spooky. I just drew this like I've been doing it my whole life. I don't know what happened."

Jonathan just looked at her, not really understanding.

"I mean, I don't know how to draw like this. My old boyfriend, Michael, could do this, but I never even took a drawing lesson or anything."

Adriana did not seem upset, just thoroughly confused.

Jonathan looked at her, puzzled, "I don't know what to say. Brains are mysterious things. I guess it's not impossible to suddenly switch on some talent you never knew you had. I mean, coming to San Francisco from Duluth, just that change, must have some kind of effect. You know, really, Duluth is depressing, maybe it just depressed the talent right out of you."

Adriana looked dubiously at him. "You don't really believe that, do you?"

"Well, no, but it's not impossible. And, anyway, it's great that you're such a good artist."

Adriana smiled at him, still confused but not wanting to think about it anymore. "Are you hungry?" she asked.

"Yeah, I know a place."

They pulled up at a restaurant located a little south of the town of Sonoma that wasn't crowded and settled into a table. The place was large and rugged looking from the outside but comfortable inside, and Jonathan swore to her that the food was good. The coffee was dark, rich, and served in big mugs, not meant for those who just sipped their coffee. Adriana had a Tex-Mex chicken salad, made with bar-b-q chicken, corn, black beans, tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream, and Jonathan had blue corn pancakes, scrambled eggs with salsa, and handmade flour tortillas.

"Do you want to talk more about why all of a sudden you're a great artist?" asked Jonathan.

"Not really. Not right now. I think I should talk to someone, though. I mean, it's not normal, right?"

"Right, but who're you going to talk to?"

"Who knows? Maybe the talent will just go away, and then I won't have to worry about it." Adriana said this in a musing kind of way, and Jonathan thought she probably would not talk to anyone.

"Well," he said, "you can talk to me about it anytime."

"Thanks."

After lunch, they stopped at one of the larger wineries to sample wine. The tasting room was inside a big building that also housed large vats of fermenting wine. The vats stood in a dim vaulted chamber, and the tasting room was on one side, near the building's entrance. Adriana had paid for lunch, so Jonathan paid for the tasting. They each sampled two reds and two whites, listening as the server told them more than they would ever want to know about what they were drinking. They both loved the Cabernet Blanc, and Jonathan bought four bottles of it to take home.

They drove around for several more hours, stopping so that Jonathan could take pictures and Adriana could make more sketches. This time Adriana paid attention as she drew and discovered that her brain knew what it was doing, and that her hand was following what she knew. Maybe this was some sort of natural process, like Jonathan suggested, where the brain just clicks -- like a light was suddenly turned on. She had, after all, drawn pictures as a child, and even as an adult had made doodles, especially during boring lectures in college.

It was a long day, but one Adriana enjoyed more than any in recent memory. They were tired as they headed back home and did not speak much. They stopped in Sausalito at another seafood restaurant, this time sampling the clam chowder, and sharing a big plate of fried oysters, clams, prawns, and steak fries. Instead of wine, it was beer. They walked together along the waterfront for a while before heading south, gazing at the lights of San Francisco on the other side of the bay, and watching a big ship slowly making its way across the dark water.

This time when they crossed the bridge it was clear. The lights of San Francisco sparkled in the night and filled Adriana with a sense of anticipation at seeing the city in a new way. She asked Jonathan if they could go back to the beach by the Cliff House, so he drove over to Geary and took it all the way to Ocean Beach, where they got out, put their coats on, and walked down to where the waves wetted the sands. It was cold but clear. In the distance, they could see another big ship moving south. Jonathan held her close.

"So beautiful," she said, "I love this."

They looked at each other, and then kissed tenderly, holding each other very close. Afterward, they stood holding each other, each warm from the kiss, but after a while, the cold wind made them shiver, and they walked back to the car. Back inside, they turned on the seat warmers and the heater, trying to shake off the chill.

"Minnesota is cold, but, you know, you're prepared for it," said Adriana. "San Francisco, you just don't expect it to be like that, and then all of a sudden you're freezing."

"It's the wind, it cuts right through you sometimes. You get used to it, but if you're standing on a corner, waiting for a bus, and you didn't bother with a coat...." He shook his head slowly, smiling a little.

They were both tired as the car neared Jonathan's apartment and the hotel. Neither knew what the next few minutes would bring and neither wanted the evening to end. Both wanted to spend the rest of the evening together, and perhaps the night as well, but were uncertain how to broach the subject.

Adriana said, "I had fun today, Jonathan. Not sure what to think about suddenly knowing how to draw. That was weird. But I had fun. Maybe we can do it again tomorrow?"

Jonathan's face turned towards hers. Her perfume still lingered after a full day in the country and helped to make him fully aware of her presence.

"It was really nice," he said quietly, "and yeah, you can draw. Listen, we hardly know each other but I don't want to wait till tomorrow to be with you again. No pressure but I don't want to say goodnight yet. I really like you and... you know, I just don't want this to end. Can I stay with you tonight?"

"You want to sleep with me?" Adriana asked, almost whispering.

"Yeah, I do. I know it's maybe too soon, and it's OK if you don't want to. It's just that... I want to be with you tonight."

"Where?" she asked, in a voice that said she wanted this too.

"Either place is fine."

"I could grab some things in my room and come to your place."

"OK." He pulled into her hotel's parking garage and walked Adriana to her room. He wanted to kiss her in the elevator, but it was crowded. Once they were in the room, he asked, "Can I kiss you, Adriana?" In answer, she moved to him, and their lips met again.

A little nervously, she broke the kiss. Then she rummaged through her closet and drawers, stuffing things into a large tote she had, and then went into the bathroom for more things. Five minutes later, they were in the now empty elevator going down and kissing again.

He decided to leave the car in the garage overnight, and they walked back to his apartment, she with the bag slung over her shoulder. At his apartment building, he unlocked the street door and followed her up the long staircase. Once inside the room, they were both nervous, knowing what they had planned.

"Can I get you a glass of wine?" asked Jonathan, looking at her quietly standing in the middle of the room, still holding her bag.

Relieved not to have to deal with anything more difficult, she nodded yes. She set the bag down on the couch and followed him into the kitchen. He pulled out a bottle of wine from the refrigerator and poured two glasses. They stood sipping the wine, looking at each other, and wondering what the other was thinking. Adriana reached out and touched his cheek with slim delicate fingers, and he took her hand, turned it over, and kissed her palm. Then they kissed again.

"Maybe we should take this to your bedroom," Adriana said.

"Are you sure? I feel like this is too soon, that I am pressuring you."

"I could go back to my hotel, you know, if you're not ready," she said, lightly.

"I'm ready, I... just don't want to mess this up. I mean, it's only been a few days, and I... I really like you... I don't want you to leave."

Adriana did not know what to do with this serious man but didn't want to leave either. She put her arms around him. He had a hard, thin body, which carried the smell of the places they had visited today.

"We both smell like the woods," said Adriana. "It's a good smell, but I wouldn't mind feeling a little fresher. Do you mind if I take a shower?"

"That's fine. I could use one, too. You go first."

Adriana eyed him, "You're not going to suggest we go together?"

"If we would fit, yeah, but it's tiny. I mean, we could try it if you want..."

"No, it's fine, I'll try to be quick."

"Before you go, honestly, am I blowing it here?" asked Jonathan.

Adriana looked at him in surprise, then kissed him. "That is... one of the sweetest things a man has ever said to me. No, you're not blowing it."

Jonathan poured another glass of wine and sat in his spot looking at the street. She had been nice to him, but was he coming off as a doofus? With other girls, it was either clearly just a hookup, with no expectations on either side, or it was someone he had known for a long time, and intimacy had grown over time.

With Adriana, he had no sense of whether there was a relationship. How could he know? But he knew there was something, and he did not want to lose her.

Deep in his brood, he did not know that time had passed until he heard the door open and saw her walk out, wearing a mid-thigh nightshirt.

"You look so sexy in that, Adriana," he said as he walked toward her. "You really smell nice, too."

"Your turn," she said, nodding towards the bathroom, and then kissing him lightly.

"Right, just give me a few minutes."

He walked into the bathroom, holding fresh boxers and a T-shirt.

"God, we're really going to do this," she said to herself. "What is it with this guy that I want to be with him so much?"

She filled her wineglass and walked into the bedroom, turned on the light, and looked around. It was neat, and the bed was made. This might be unusual for some guys. She did not know. Her experience with men had always been in long-term relationships. There had been a hookup once, but not because she wanted it. She had been drunk with some girlfriends at a party, making out with some guys there, and things just got out of hand. This thing with Jonathan was not necessarily a hookup because she wanted to see more of this guy, and he seemed like he felt the same.

She got into bed and pulled up the covers, sipping her wine nervously. Then she heard the bathroom door open, and Jonathan came in wearing boxers and a T-shirt. He looked like he had shaved. She pulled the covers down, made room for him, and patted the sheets. He looked down at her and saw that she was nervous. He was as well. He could never just jump into a bed with a woman -- he needed to feel he was welcome, and right now he did not know how he felt. His overwhelming feeling was one of wanting to be with her.

"Come in here, Jonathan, before you get cold."

He nodded, lay down beside her, and pulled the covers up. It was cool in the room, well beyond the range of the space heater. They both lay on their sides, looking at each other. Jonathan stroked her cheek, then moved to kiss her. She responded by moving her body closer to his.

"Do you want to do this?" he asked.

"What do you mean by this?" she said with a teasing tone.

"Like, make love with each other," he answered, uncertain.

"I think I do," she said, putting her arm around him and pulling herself closer. "What about you?"

"Yeah, I do," and he stroked her back lovingly.

"You'll need some protection," she said quietly.

"OK," and rolled over to open a drawer in the night table.

"Not yet," she laughed, "let's get to know each other first," and she sat up to take off her nightshirt.

***

The next day was Sunday and Jonathan woke to find Adriana sleeping beside him.

"Morning, Adriana," he whispered to her as she lay there. She opened her eyes, barely awake, and he said, "I'm going to run down to the store and get a few things for breakfast. Anything special you want?"

Adriana shook her head and closed her eyes again. Jonathan pulled on his jeans and a jacket and walked quickly to the market. He bought a few pastries, breakfast croissants, and large cappuccinos. By the time he got back, Adriana had gotten up and put on a robe and was standing looking out of the window.