Mark and Geri

Story Info
Hiking partners become life partners.
10.3k words
4.75
25.6k
43
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mark met Geri at the trailhead parking lot just after dawn. It was their plan to hike into the mountains the Lake Genevieve and back. Figuring that one-way was just over 5 miles, an early start should get them back to the trailhead by midafternoon. The pair had been hiking partners for a couple of years now and they both knew their pace on the trail. One that was slower than most, but one that allowed them to capture some incredible wildlife.

Mark had met Geri at a wildlife seminar that was provided by the county. She was one of the instructors. Mark's wife left him a couple of years prior after 18 years of marriage. It had started off well, going to the same college and sharing an apartment for a couple of years before they tied the knot. But, like many couples, their interests grew in separate directions over time. The divorce ended the relationship quite amicably. They were still friends that got together every now and then.

He listened with intense interest as Geri gave her portion of the seminar. It was obvious that she was very knowledgeable on the local fauna. She was also funny as she related stories about experiences she had on the trails with nature and the people she encountered.

Mark sought her out after the seminar was over. He waited patiently off to the side as she was surrounded by attendee's asking her questions. He finally stepped up when the last one started to leave.

"Hi, I'm Mark" offering his hand.

Taking it, "I'm Geri."

"I was really captivated by your demonstration."

"Thank you" she replied, a little cautious. She had recently broken up a long relationship and wasn't ready to get involved with another. That combined with the fact that often was hit on, which she grew tired of.

"You mentioned something about trail monitors" Mark asked, genuinely interested in the county program that hired volunteers to hike the trails and monitor them.

"Yes, I did. We have a program that has citizen's go out on the trails. They let us know of any maintenance needs, helps visitors with any questions they might have, and even guide groups now and then. Is this something that interests you?" Geri asked, noting that Mark's eyes never left hers. 'A good sign, maybe he's not after something else like so many others'.

"I am, actually. I recall seeing something in the paper a year ago or so and forgot all about it until you mentioned it this afternoon."

Turning around to grab a pamphlet off the table behind her, she handed it to him, "We've got an orientation session a week from tomorrow at the Natural Resources office in the county building. If you're still interested, come over and you can learn a little more about the program."

Mark took the information sheet and looked it over. He had enjoyed the hiking trails that permeated the foothills and mountains of Colorado, just miles from what he called home. Here was an opportunity to give a little back to the county and learn a little in the process.

Looking at her, he paused for a moment as he saw her smile and was captured by how her hair framed her face. "I'll be there," extending his hand once again.

"See you there, then" Geri replied shaking his hand.

Mark arrived at the county building on the night of the orientation anxious to not only learn more about the program, but hopeful that Geri would be there again. He wasn't disappointed. He stepped into a large room filled with chairs, a projection screen with images from the local area going by.

He spotted Geri off to the side and was about to go over to her when he saw her wrap her arm into the arm of the man standing next to her and was laughing at something being said. 'Get a grip. Someone like that is happily married. You're here to learn about the program. Not her.'

The presentation lasted just under an hour with a question and answer session afterwards. Unless he found out something earth shattering that would change his mind, he had already decided to sign up and go through the 80 hours of training.

He was making his way towards the exit when he felt someone come up beside him. "Hi, I remember you, you were at the wildlife seminar."

Mark smiled, "I was. Mark, and you're Geri. I remember."

Geri smiled and put her hands on her hips, "So, did you sign up? I seem to remember that you were quite interested when we talked last."

Waving the new member handout, "I did. I think this is going to be a lot of fun. I think I've been on most of the trails and really love it."

"That's good to hear. It's been difficult finding people who want to go through all of the training that's required. But we're placing a lot of responsibility on them and we don't want them to fail."

"Oh, I'm not terribly worried about that."

With a renewed smile, "Good! So we'll see you in two weeks then."

Waving his packet of material, "Two weeks."

*

Mark was halfway through the training and hadn't seen Geri since the orientation night. She occupied his thoughts frequently since he first met her. She appeared to be about the same age as him, perhaps a little younger. He wasn't sure. She was about the same height. But it was her radiant smile and her personality that he found the most attractive. Her figure indicated that she did in fact spend a lot of time on the trails. He had hoped to meet up with her again.

He was looking at the material for tonight's training session when he heard her. "Good evening, everyone. I'm glad to see that just about everyone has made it. We're going to get started in just a couple of minutes. As always, please help yourself to the coffee, tea, juice and snacks we have in the back of the room."

Mark was secretly happy that she would be the one teaching tonight. She was obviously involved with someone else, but he still enjoyed listening to her speak as well as watching her.

Once class started, however, Mark became engrossed in the topic of the night's class. It was about the snakes of the area including the prairie rattlesnake, their habitat, their behavior and especially what to do to keep visitors to the area safe. He had a deep respect for the creature and actually looked forward to encountering one in the wild.

It was during a break that he spotted Geri pouring a cup of juice. Going up to her, "So, those photographs, did you take those?"

"I did" she replied as she put the lid back on the juice bottle. Turning to him, "They are some of the most misunderstood animals we have here. If you look at them, they really are beautiful creatures."

Nodding his head in agreement, "I couldn't agree more. But those photos are pretty close up."

Taking a sip of her juice, "Not really. Remember the safety distance we talked about?"

Mark nodded, recalling strike distances and the fact that the local species is very timid as well.

"Well, that along with a decent telephoto lens can make for some very nice pictures."

"That makes sense. They are pretty awesome, just the same."

With a slight cock of her head and a smile, "Thanks."

Mark could feel his heart skip a beat as she looked at him. He didn't know much of anything about her but he was enthralled by her. She was smart, talented, and witty. And she captured his attention completely.

It was during the last week of training before Mark saw Geri again. The last 4 hours of training involved going out on the trails with an experienced trail monitor. An assistant was handing out sheets of paper while the presenter was explaining the last part.

"Andy is handing out the assignments for the hikes. Take a look at it and find who your partner is. Please make sure that you get with them before you leave this evening and schedule a time for your hike. Are there any questions?"

A couple of people raised their hand and asked questions. Mark looked at the sheet and had to keep from bursting out. He was paired with Geri.

Once class had ended for the evening, Mark looked around to find her. He waited and watched as she spoke with another trainee. He observed how patient she was as the trainee was not one of the sharpest students in the class. In fact, he was surprised they had lasted this long.

Walking up to her after she had finished, he waved the piece of paper, "It looks like I'm assigned to you."

Geri turned and smiled, "I know. I had them pair you up with me."

Mark looked at her with a questioning look. He was thrilled to be paired with her. She had occupied his thoughts increasingly over time.

"You seem to have some of the same interests as I do and you seem to be genuinely interested, more than some of these others," she commented, looking over her shoulder at some of the other students who she thought wouldn't see more than the first 500 yards of any trail.

"Well, thank you. I appreciate that."

"So when do you want to go?"

They set a date and a trail to hike. One of the lessons that the class taught was that it was always best to hike with a partner, never hike alone. Mark and Geri became hiking partners and over the next several months would often be found spending the weekend on a trail. The winter didn't stop them as there were still die-hards who hiked year round and the trails needed to be kept in good shape.

During all this time, Mark never made an advance, suggestive comment, or anything other than two people hiking together. That's not to say that there weren't a number of times that he looked at her mouth and wanted nothing more than to wrap his arms around her and place his lips on hers.

*

He was arranging the stuff he was going to carry in his pack when he heard a car pull up. It never failed to bring a great feeling of joy to see her. Slinging his day pack over his shoulders, he strode over to where she had parked. She had her feet on the rear bumper putting her hiking boots on.

"Morning, Geri."

"Hey, Mark" she replied, turning her head to face him, her eyes sparkling and that radiant smile beaming at him.

"Looks like it's going to be a great day for a hike."

"It does. I checked the weather and it's supposed to be mostly clear all day." Looking around the parking lot, "It doesn't look like there's that many people here today. I'm surprised."

He nodded in agreement, "I'm surprised as well."

Putting her own pack on and securing the waist belt, she looked at him, "Ready?"

Smiling in return, "Ready."

A couple of miles into the hike, the pair found an outcropping to sit and rest on for a few moments. It was a spot they had stopped at many times before. As was typical for Geri, she was wearing a pair of shorts that came half-way down her thigh, maybe a little more. A dark spot had formed on her shirt from the sweat that had formed on her chest, neck and back. Mark had similar dark spots on his shirt as well. Mark looked at her as she tilted her head back to smooth back her hair and tie it up in a ponytail. He glanced at her legs and looked for an extra moment at the inside of her thigh. He had long admired her legs and on more than one occasion, wanted to be able to run his hand on them, to feel the softness of her skin.

She looked at him and smiled as she wiped the beads off of her face with a towel. "It's warm out here. I brought extra water, just in case. You?"

Mark had two water bottles within reach, nestled in side pockets on his pack "Yep, got these two like I always do plus I packed an extra one inside."

"Good, we may need it today." Placing her hands on her knees, she stood and asked, "Ready?"

Standing "Lead the way m'lady."

He never minded her leading the way when the trail was only wide enough for one person, which was most of the time. Her rear end was always pleasing to his eye.

They reached the lake just before noon. They had made this hike a few times before and each time they were the only ones there. Lake Genevieve was a natural lake feed by the runoff from the nearby Rockies. As such, it was typically extremely cold. Just the same, it felt good on their feet as they sat on a rock and dangled their feet in the water.

Eating the lunches they packed, Mark heard Geri sigh a little, "I could never tire of this place. It's just so beautiful."

"It is," Mark said in agreement. "It's so quiet. The only noise is the brook over there and the birds."

Suddenly he felt Geri's arm wrap around his shoulder and she pulled him closer, pointing with the other hand, Geri pointed to a bear and two cubs on the other side of the lake.

"Look, over there," she cried out in an excited whisper.

Mark looked across to see the trio drinking from the lake, looking up periodically for danger around them. But he was also absorbed in the feeling of Geri's arm around him. He wanted more than anything to wrap his around her.

They watched for a few more moments before the bears sauntered off back into the trees. Geri unwrapped her arm and resumed eating her lunch. They sat there for a while longer, taking in their surroundings. Geri reached over and using her fingertips, ran her fingers up and down his arm.

"Can I ask you a question?" Geri asked.

Turning to face her, "Of course."

"Why haven't you ever asked me out?" she asked, looking at him with a slight smile. "I know that you are frequently sneaking peaks at me."

Mark was at a loss for words and it took him a moment, "I, uh, I don't know. I figured that you were already in a relationship. And well, I don't know, I guess I figured you wouldn't be interested."

"You mean Pete?" Geri replied, smiling even more. "Pete's my cousin. He and I have been close since we were kids."

Mark was dumbfounded. He had watched Geri and Pete together and listened to the stories that she told of the two of them. Nowhere, however, did she ever indicate that he was a cousin.

"I know that you're not seeing anyone."

Mark looked at Geri, his heart racing, she wanted to go on a date with him. 'Jeez, I'm 40 something and I'm acting like a teenager on his first time with a girl'.

"Well, I can't say as I haven't wanted to."

"So."

He looked at her eyes and saw a little sparkle which was accented by her smile. "How about tomorrow. After work."

"That's more like it" Geri replied, "I accept" and gave him that smile. She looked at her watch, "We should probably start heading back."

They returned to the parking lot right about the time they anticipated. Geri changed out of her hiking boots and put those along with her pack in the back of the car. Mark followed her as she got into the driver's seat, started the car and rolled down the window. Mark closed the door for her. "Thanks for the hike today."

"My pleasure" he replied. And it truly was. He had been in love with this woman for several months now but had never acted on it. He was, by nature, shy and reserved. But now, he was going to see Geri someplace other than a trail or classroom.

He looked at her, "I'll pick you up at seven. That okay?"

With her hands on top of the steering wheel, she smiled again, "I look forward to it."

*

Mark stared at the papers on his desk. Despite his best efforts, his mind was on that evening. Looking at the clock, he noted that it was just after 3. '4 more hours' he thought. With renewed effort, he dug in and worked on the spreadsheet on his screen. After what seemed like a half hour or more, he looked at his watch again. Only 10 minutes had passed.

But time does march on and 5 o'clock did arrive. His commute home was short and now he found himself fidgeting around the house. Freshly showered and dressed, he climbed into his car and drove to where Geri lived. He had dropped her off a couple of times after hikes when her car was in the shop. So he was fully aware of her address. Not wanting to appear too anxious and noting that he was 10 minutes early, he pulled to the side of the curb a block away and waited.

Ringing her doorbell precisely at 7, he waited as he heard footsteps inside. The door opened and he saw Geri for the first time dressed in something other than hiking gear. Geri had a natural beauty that didn't require a lot of makeup and tonight was no exception. She wore a simple summer dress that came down to her knees. Her feet were encased in sandals. A simple necklace dropped just below the collarbone and accentuated her skin. The same radiant smile that captivated him when he first saw her captivated him again.

"Wow" was the first words that he spoke.

Pulling at the sides of her dress just a little, "You like?" as she stepped aside to let him into the house.

"You're beautiful."

"Why thank you, kind sir."

Mark watched as she went to the dining table and picked up a purse. He looked at the back of her legs as she leaned over to grab her coat off the table. His eyes returned to her eyes as she turned and smiled.

"So, where are we going?" Geri asked.

"Well, you said you like Italian, so I thought we'd go over to Gepetto's."

"Ooh, I love that place."

He had also been there a number of times. He requested one of the more secluded booths when he made the reservations the day before. He didn't want to share her with anyone. Mark looked at Geri across the table. She had a slight smile and her head was slightly cocked to the side. They had been on a lot of hikes together and he always thought she was a very good looking woman, but never in this type of setting. He thought she was more beautiful tonight than he had ever seen her. They listened to each other as they shared more about their backgrounds, fascinated that there were so many parallels.

Geri, like Mark, had been married before. But the husband was not captivated by the out of doors. He would rather spend his time in his shop working on his cars. She didn't know what she saw in him and chalked it up to being young and foolish.

Hand in hand, the couple left the restaurant and always the gentleman opened the door for her. Slowly making their way back to his car, Mark was not ready for the night to end, "How about a walk along the beach at the lake?" It was not really a lake as much as it was a reservoir. But there was a long stretch along the shore that was deemed a beach as it was very sandy and was a favorite spot for the locals when the weather was hot.

Geri looked up at the moon, which was clearly full "I'd like that." She wasn't anxious for the night to end either. She had wanted to see Mark on a more social basis for a long time as she had developed strong feelings for him after spending hours on the trails together over the months. She wasn't about to let him go, not just yet.

Pulling into the lot, there were a couple of other cars. Obviously others had a similar idea as they. It was rumored that it was a hot spot for dates and had a number of nicknames as it had the reputation for being a place where a lot of virginities were lost.

Mark parked and got out. Going around to her side of the car, he opened the door and looked at her as she stepped out. Her dress rode up on her legs just a little. She exposed more of her leg wearing her hiking shorts, but the sight of her dress sliding up caused him to catch his breath. He hoped that she didn't notice. He did not want to ruin the night.

Taking her hand in his, he could feel her squeeze it slightly. They walked down the short path to the water's edge. The moon was almost full and created a stream of light across the still waters of the lake.

The silence was broken when Geri asked in a quiet voice, "Why didn't you ask me out before?"

Mark thought for a moment. It wasn't that he didn't want to. In fact, he envisioned being with her on a number of occasions. "I don't know. It's like I told you before, I thought you were involved with someone else."

"Yeah, you said that before."

"You had also become one of my best friends. I was afraid if I asked and it wasn't something that you had any interest in, that it would ruin that."

She nodded as she thought about what he was saying. There were a few moments of silence as they continued to walk along the beach. "I tried to give you signs that I was interested in you."