Mary and Alvin Ch. 33

Story Info
Bonita receives a surprise visitor.
13.2k words
4.88
5.8k
9

Part 33 of the 37 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 11/14/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
938 Followers

The Lost Children

Bonita woke up with an uncomfortable feeling of pressure on her neck. She lifted Ben Quigley's arm and shoved it away. He grunted and rolled over on his other side. She sat up on the side of the bed and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. The alarm clock read 6:58. She had set it for seven. She shut it off and slapped Ben on the ass.

"Get the fuck up, bub. I got to get ready for work."

He muttered but did not move. Lola, who had been sleeping on the floor next to the bed, rose and dropped her head in Bonita's lap. Bonita nuzzled it and scratched the big dog's back. "How's my sweetie this morning?" she said.

Ben grunted again.

"I wasn't talking to you, dumbass," Bonita said. She got up, pulled a long t-shirt over her head and went to the bathroom. When she came back, Ben was still lying there. This is why I usually send guys home, she thought. Plus, they snore.

Lola jumped on the bed and barked. Ben came fully awake and sat back against the headboard with a startled expression on his face.

"Jeezum, Bonita, how come your dog don't like me?"

"I don't think she gives you much thought one way or another, except that you are sleeping in her spot."

"She's too big for such a small apartment."

"Dude, she's a newfie, they're wicked big dogs. Shit, she's not full grown yet. And besides, we don't spend much time here except to sleep."

"We done more than sleep," he said, grinning.

Bonita rolled her eyes. "Don't get all full of yourself," she said. She picked his shirt up off the floor and threw it at him. "Now, come on and get dressed. Don't you got to work?"

"Yeah, but they don't really care when I get there."

"Uh huh, lot of people say that just before they get shit canned," she replied. "Now get a move on."

Ben buttoned his shirt. "You know, Nita," he said, "just because your grandpa made you the boss at the wharf, that don't mean you're the boss of everybody."

"Yeah, well, as long as you want this pussy, I am the boss."

Once Ben had finally left, Bonita showered and dressed for the day. She put on her work boots and her leather jacket, snapped Lola's leash to her collar, and headed out the door and down the stairs.

It was a chilly spring morning. Wisps of fog hung low over the ground. She considered taking her motorcycle to the wharf, but she'd have to hook up the sidecar for Lola, so she decided she'd just walk. She preferred to walk anyway, especially after being cooped up all winter.

Maple Street was peaceful as they walked toward the center of town, until Lola broke the silence with a loud bark and strained at her leash.

"Quiet, girl, you'll wake up the whole neighborhood," Bonita admonished her. She saw the reason for the dog's excitement as a fat raccoon waddled across the lawn of First Baptist Church and scrambled up a tree.

They stopped at the utility pole on the corner of Maple and Wilson, so Lola could pee, then they continued down Wilson to Main Street. The fog grew denser as they walked toward the waterfront. Bonita tied Lola's leash to the lamppost in front of Jessica's Bakery and went inside. She saw that Jessica was busy in the back, so she waved hello, then went to the counter and bought a large coffee, a bear claw and a Boston cream doughnut.

She untied Lola, then took the bear claw from the bag and ate it as they made their way down to the wharf.

"Papa's already here," she said aloud when she saw Alvin's truck parked in front of the boathouse. Lola barked in response.

"Yeah, you like Papa, don't you? And I know why."

Alvin was sitting at his desk when Bonita stepped inside.

"Morning, Nita," he said, "and hello, Miss Lola." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a breakfast sausage wrapped in a paper napkin.

Bonita unclipped Lola's leash. The dog trotted over to Alvin and ate the sausage from his hand. He stoked her head, then looked up at Bonita. "It don't look like you brought me a coffee," he said.

"You know that Mama Mary told me not to. You ain't supposed to have caffeine, you'll get the chest pains again."

"That was damn near a year ago."

"Yeah, you put me in charge down here, then you scared the crap out of me. I thought you were going to leave me to run things all alone."

That makes us about even, Alvin thought, but he just ate his doughnut and shrugged. "I've been fine since."

"If you want decaf, I'll be happy to get you one."

Alvin shook his head. "Nothing is real nowdays. Cheese made out of soybeans, meat that's really vegetables, they even got butter now that's made out of bugs."

"That's a far ways from frickin' decaf, Papa," Bonita said, sitting at her desk and putting her feet up. "You plan on going down to Port Clyde this afternoon to pick up them engine parts?"

"Figured I would."

"Well, I know damn well that you're going to stop at McDonalds on your way out of town and get a Quarter Pounder and a honkin' big coffee, so I ain't going to feel too bad."

They spent the morning going over fuel contracts and reviewing applications for summer yard workers.

"What about those Quigley boys, they still around? " Alvin asked.

"Maybe Scott will be coming by. Ben is working construction with Miller and Sons now." She glanced up from her notepad and saw Alvin looking at her, his head tilted and one eyebrow cocked.

"What?" she asked.

He just shrugged and handed her the stack of applications.

"You make your picks and the ones you don't want, give to Rafael when he comes in next week. He might use some at the diner."

"Okay, Papa."

"I guess I'll head out and pick up them parts."

"Alright, Papa, have a nice drive." As he was stepping through the door, she added, "Enjoy your McDonalds."

She started to flip through the applications, then realized that she was hungry herself. She had left a bean burrito in the refrigerator the previous day. She got it out and put it in the microwave. While it was heating, she took Lola outside and tied her leash to one of the pilings along the edge of the wharf. She loved to lay there in the sun and watch the gulls and cormorants.

Bonita went back into the boathouse and was sitting with her feet on the desk, eating her burrito, when she caught a glimpse of a figure walking past the window. It was not unusual for folks to wander through the yard, looking at the boats or for a spot from which to take a picture of the harbor, but when she did not see anyone return, she grew curious. They were still two weeks away from opening for the season, but some people came around early, looking to rent a berth or make a reservation for later in the year.

She swallowed the last bite of her burrito and stepped outside.There was no one at the kayak rack or on the docks and for a minute she wondered if her eyes had played a trick on her. But then she saw Lola, standing at alert and staring past the corner of the boathouse.

"It's okay, pup," she said, and walked around the corner. She saw the visitor. SeaJay was up on stands at the far edge of the yard. The man stood at the stern, his back to Bonita. She watched as he raised his hand and laid it on the hull. He hung his head, giving her the impression that he was saying a prayer or administering some sort of blessing to the boat.

"Excuse me, bub," she called out as she stepped closer, "Something I can do for you?"

He turned and looked at her. He was much younger than she was expected, appearing to be about her own age. She did not recognize him, but he seemed familiar.

The young man stared at her and she saw that his eyes were wet and had a sunken, hollow look.

"Everything alright there, chummie?"

"Bonita?"

"Yeah...do I know you?"

"Oh my god, it's you."

Bonita took a step back, thinking there might be something seriously wrong with the stranger.

"You don't remember me."

"Should I?"

"I'm Jamie Mitchell."

It took a second for the name to register, but when it did, Bonita's mouth dropped open. She remembered the search for the missing boat, and the sudden storm and the the face of the boy, sobbing in terror as she had pulled him from the waves.

"Jeezum crow," she muttered, "uh, good to see you again."

Jamie took a step forward, raising his arms. He dropped them back to his sides, then awkwardly raised them again.

Bonita understood what he wanted and lifted her own arms. Jamie stepped into them and they hugged. He began to sob, and Bonita patted him on the back.

"You alright there, bub?"

He stepped back and nodded, while wiping his eyes with his hands.

"I'm okay," he sniffed, "It's just emotional, you know, being here, seeing you...all that it brings back."

"Yeah, I guess it would be."

They stood in awkward silence for a few minutes. Finally, Jamie tried unsuccessfully to smile and said, "I really didn't expect that you'd still be here."

Bonita shrugged. "Don't know where else I'd be."

"I thought you'd, I don't know, be at college or something. I actually looked you up online once, but you don't do a lot of social media or anything, do you?"

"Nah, I'm not interested in any of that stuff." She walked over to the edge of the wharf and untied Lola's leash.

"Oh, is that your dog?" Jamie asked.

"Yeah, this is Lola," she replied, unclipping the leash from the dog's collar. Lola trotted over to Jamie and began to sniff at him. He squatted and petted her.

"You want to come inside and have a soda or something?" Bonita asked.

"Sure, that would be great."

They went into the boathouse. Bonita fetched two cans of soda from the refrigerator.

"You like Moxie?" she asked Jamie.

"I don't think I've ever tried it."

She handed him one of the cans. He popped it open and took a sip.

"Hmm, that's weird tasting," he said, "But I kind of like it."

Bonita smiled as she sat and opened her own can. She couldn't remember anyone who wasn't a Mainer liking Moxie. Hell, even Papa didn't like it.

Jamie sat at Alvin's desk and the two of them just looked each other over for a minute.

Bonita broke the silence. "So, what are you, up here on vacation?"

"No," he shrugged, "I'm just, I guess you'd say, roaming."

"Don't you go to school or have a job or something?"

He shook his head. "I have my inheritance money. My parents had a ton of insurance."

"So while you were roaming, you figured you'd roam up here."

Jamie looked around the boathouse. "So, your grandfather, is he still...you know."

"Papa is fine," Bonita replied. She found it odd that he had so quickly changed the subject.

"And his boat, the SeaJay. How come it's up on stands and not in the water, Is there something wrong with it?"

"No, it's just in winter storage. But we figured it was time for her to get a complete renovation. I mean, she was old when Papa got her, and that was, like, forty years ago."

There was another awkward silence. Jamie finished his Moxie and set the can on the desk. "I guess I should let you get back to work," he said, rising from the chair.

Bonita rose and they hugged again. "You going to be hanging around town a while?" she asked.

"I think so. I would like to see your grandfather."

"Cool. Where you staying? Maybe I could take you out to see him tonight."

"Uh...I don't know yet."

"Well, why don't you meet me here at, let's say, seven?"

"Okay, it sounds good, I'll see you then."

They walked out together. Jamie took a few steps toward a beat up blue car parked at the top of the yard, then turned and waved.

"It's really good to see you, Bonita," he called.

"Probably not as good as the last time, though, huh?"

For the first time, Bonita saw him smile. "Yeah, I guess not. See you at seven."

She watched him get in the car and drive out of the yard. Lola trotted through the open boathouse door and rubbed against her leg. Bonita looked down at her and scratched her behind the ear. "That's a dude with issues, ain't he girl?" she said. Bullshit, he's just roaming, she thought, he came here to work out some serious shit.

She went back inside and worked on putting together an order for summer supplies. Just as she was finishing, Lola stood and barked. A few seconds later, Alvin came through the door.

"Hi, Papa," Bonita said, leaning back in her chair. "You get the parts?"

"Yes, put them out on the deck. Looks like I can finish the overhaul the next day or two." He looked at Bonita quizzically. "What's that look for?"

"What look?"

He sat in his chair and looked at the empty Moxie can. "That cat that swallowed the canary look. Seems you had a visitor."

She nodded. "You'll never guess who."

"That's right, I won't, so might as well tell me."

"Jamie Mitchell."

Alvin frowned, but then the name registered and his eyes opened wide. "Jeezum crow. How's he doing?"

"Seemed alright, I guess. But, I don't know. He was wicked emotional."

"I would think he would be, back here and all. What's he doing here?"

"Said he was just roaming. Anyway, he wanted to see you, so I said he ought to come by about seven and I'd bring him out to your house."

"Why didn't you invite him for supper?"

"I ain't going to just invite some dubber to your house for supper."

"It would be alright with me."

"That don't make it alright with Mama Mary."

Alvin rubbed his chin. "Well, that much is true. Guess we might have some cake or something."

"I'll bring some."

"Well, alright then." He stood and stretched. "I'm going to head home. You all set here? You want a ride?"

"Yeah, I suppose so."

They locked up and went to Alvin's car. Bonita opened the back door and Lola jumped inside. As they pulled out of the yard on to Front Street, Alvin looked at Bonita.

"How did you feel, seeing him like that?"

Bonita shrugged. "I don't know, just all seemed kind of odd."

"Well, it was a traumatic event for you, too."

"Thanks Papa, but I'm fine."

He drove her home and stopped at the curb. "Nita," he asked, "you ever have nightmares or anything about that day?"

"No," she said, "It was scary when it happened, but it was a long time ago. Honestly, before Jamie showed up today, I hadn't thought about it in a long time."

She let Lola out of the backseat and headed up the walk. Alvin watched her go, then pulled away. He was glad that she didn't seem to have any lingering trauma from the hurricane. Every now and then he still woke up with a start, staring into the darkness and seeing the empty, wave washed deck of SeaJay.

***

Jamie drove into the boatyard at exactly seven o'clock. Bonita was leaning against the kayak rack waiting. When he pulled to a stop in front of her, she took the chocolate cake she had bought at Jessica's bakery from her motorcycle's sidecar and walked around to get in the passenger door.

Jamie picked up a pizza box and an empty Coke can from the seat and tossed them into the back of the car. Bonita looked over her shoulder as she sat down. The back seat was a mess of clothes, fast food containers and empty cans.

"What's in the box?" Jamie asked.

"I figured I'd bring some cake."

"You baked it?"

"No, I got it from Jessica."

"Who's Jessica?"

"She's married to my cousin Andy. She has a bakery up there on Main Street."

He laughed. "Is this one of those towns where everybody is related to each other?"

"Damn near."

She gave him directions, and they drove out to the farm. As they got out of the car, Bonita gestured down towards the house by the pond.

"That's where my moms live," she told him.

"Your moms? You've got two moms?"

"Three, really. You got an issue?"

"Nope, I think it makes you more interesting. You don't have a dad?"

"Nope. Well, I mean, there's some sperm donor someplace, but I never met him."

"That just seems weird to me. You never wanted to find out who he is?"

When Bonita shrugged, he continued, "I mean, I think about my dad every day. I can't imagine not wanting to know who your father is. No offense."

"Didn't need no father," she said as she climbed the porch steps. "I always had Papa."

Mary opened the door before Bonita reached it. She kissed her on the cheek, then beckoned to Jamie, who was hesitating on the bottom step.

"Please, dear, come in," she said, "you're very welcome here."

"I brought a cake from Jessica's," Bonita said as they entered the house.

"Chocolate, I suspect," Mary said, taking the box.

"Does she make another kind?"

Alvin rose from his recliner as Bonita and Jamie came into the living room. He stepped forward to greet them, extending his hand to Jamie. The younger man took it, and then leaned closer and hugged him. Alvin patted him on the back and looked over his shoulder to Bonita with a weak smile.

"Mister Faulkner," Jamie said, pulling back, "I have waited all these years to shake your hand. And, well, to say thank you to you, and to Bonita."

Alvin guided him to a seat on the couch. "Well, we done what we felt we ought to do," he said, "And I guess we got lucky."

He sat back down in his recliner and Bonita sat at the other end of the couch. Mary came in carrying a tray with plates of cake and cups of coffee. She served everyone, then took a seat in the rocking chair.

"So, Jamie," she said, "It's so nice to finally meet you, when you've been a part of this family's history for so long."

Jamie nodded and swallowed a mouthful of cake. "I never thought of it that way, but, yeah, I guess I am."

"I've thought about you many a time," Alvin said, "wondering if you were alright."

"Well, it wasn't easy," Jamie said. He told them of how he had gone back to Toledo after his parent's deaths, to live with his aunt. Naturally, the first few years had been rough, but with time, he settled into a normal childhood.

"So, what are you doing now?" Alvin asked, "Nita said you'd been traveling, but are you planning on college or a career?"

"I'm not sure what I want to do," Jamie said, "There was insurance money and the proceeds from selling our house, and I got all that when I turned eighteen. I thought before I decided what to do, I would take a year or two and just see the country and all that."

Alvin nodded. "When I was about your age, I booked on a crew, intending to sail the Caribbean. So I understand that notion."

"So, will you be sticking around Maine for a while?" Mary asked.

"I might," Jamie replied, "I mean, I loved it here when I was a kid, before...you know..."

Mary smiled sympathetically. "Well, while you are here, feel free to let us know if there's anything we can do for you. Where are you staying?"

"I've got a room in one of the motels on the highway for now."

Bonita listened to Mary and Jamie making small talk, and found herself growing annoyed. There was something about the whole thing that seemed phony to her. She looked at Alvin, and when their eyes melt, she had the feeling that he might be having similar thoughts.

As Jamie drove her back to the wharf, Bonita asked him, "Hey, you want to have a beer?"

"You aren't twenty one, are you?"

"No, but there is beer in the fridge at the boathouse."

They pulled into the yard and parked.

"Hang on, I'll be right back," she said. She disappeared into the boathouse and came back out a minute later, carrying two bottles of Narragansett. She handed one to Jamie, then led him over to the edge of the wharf. They sat down, dangling their legs over the side.

Something splashed in the water below them. Jamie was startled. "What was that?" he asked.

"Otters," Bonita said, sipping her beer, "We got a nest of them living up under there."

They sat and drank their beers. When Bonita finished hers, she poked Jamie in the arm with the neck of her empty bottle and said, "Let me ask you a question."

"What?"

"What's your real deal? Because what you told Papa and Mary was bullshit."

"No, I..."

"C'mon, bub, you ain't staying in no motel, are you? You're living in your car."

MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
938 Followers