Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 03

Story Info
A Mass Effect Trilogy Novelisation.
7.3k words
4.68
9.6k
14

Part 3 of the 69 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/11/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Book 1, Chapter 3 - The First Human Spectre

*****

"You aren't making my life easy Shepard. Firefights in the wards, an all-out assault on Chora's Den. Do you know how many people..." He fell silent for a moment as he looked upon my new friends, definitely not expecting a krogan and a quarian. "A krogan? A quarian? What the hell are you up to, Shepard?"

"Maybe if you shut up for five seconds, I could explain myself."

"Shepard!" Anderson barked.

"I mean no disrespect to you, sir," I stated, looking at him, "But I've just had a really shit day trying to sort this out and will not put up with disrespect from the likes of him."

I just glared at Udina and I was surprised he wilted so fast. Maybe I was more intimidating than I thought? Or maybe it was the giant krogan behind me? "I apologise, Commander. This whole thing with Saren has got me a bit on edge."

"All of us are, sir," I replied, accepting the apology.

"Of course." He looked to my side. "And if you have evidence, I would like to hear it, Miss...?"

"My name is Tali. Tali'Zorah nar Rayya."

She then explained what brought her to the Citadel, having left her fleet on what they call a Pilgrimage, a rite of passage into adulthood. Basically, it was a case of they were sent off into the wide galaxy, only returning when they had found something that could be of value to the fleet. She added that many quarians don't actually return, not because of failure, but because they preferred to live amongst the other species.

Then she got to the point, not that any of us hurried her. Humanity had limited to no contact with any quarians so she was telling us things none of us knew. She had heard reports of geth, something that peaked her curiosity, considering the geth rarely if ever left the Veil. She tracked a patrol of geth, something quite brave for a lone quarian, before managing to get one of them alone, disabling it and removing its memory core. Anderson was definitely impressed by that revelation. She hadn't been able to save much but what she had saved was audio that was the evidence we needed.

"Eden Prime was a major victory! The beacon has brought us one step closer to finding the Conduit."

Anderson couldn't quite contain his excitement as it was clearly Saren's voice on the tape. If the Council wanted evidence he was involved, they now had it.

Tali then stated there was more audio, a second voice. "And one step closer to the return of the Reapers."

None of us recognised the second voice. Barley any of us knew what a Reaper was. Tali knew a little bit, apparently responsible for the demise of the Prothean civilisation that had existed fifty-thousand years before us. Apparently all the Reapers did was show up, wipe out the Protheans, then disappeared without a trace.

Udina was sceptical but I gave it some thought then clicked my fingers. "Hang on, she's right, or at least it makes sense. My contact with the beacon on Eden Prime, the visions. It was some sort of... warning perhaps. But I understand the vision at least a little better. It was the Reapers wiping out the Protheans. I'm sure of it."

"The geth appear to revere the Reapers as gods," Tali added, "The pinnacle of non-organic life. And they believe Saren knows how to bring the Reapers back."

"I'm not sure the Council will believe everything about the Reapers, but we definitely have the proof we need to prove Saren is a traitor," Udina stated, "It's rather late now. We'll present our findings to the Council tomorrow." He paused before adding, "Good work, Commander."

"Thanks."

Heading out of the embassy, we gathered out the front. Alenko, Ash and I would head back to the ship. Garrus had his own place, Wrex has his own room in a hotel on one of the Wards, but Tali had nowhere to stay, so we offered her a bunk back on the ship, agreeing to meet up with Garrus and Wrex in the morning before we met the Council. Garrus wanted to see Saren taken down, Wrex admitted he simply had nothing better to do.

I was absolutely starving by now, so the first place we visited on our return to the ship was the mess, where I quickly scoffed down a couple of plates of meat, potatoes and veggies. "Must have got fresh supplies after docking," Alenko stated.

As the three of us ate, I noticed Tali attached something to the front of her mask, almost like a toothpaste container. Asking what it was, she said it was simply the way her people ate food most of the time. I thought we might have offended her, but she just laughed and said we must have been hungry after fighting across the Citadel.

After a quick shower, the four of us sat back with a drink, going over events of the day and what we expected the next. We were all yawning after a few minutes. Alenko was happy to sleep in one of the pods. Being new to the ship, Ash and Tali had the choice of a pod or a bunk. Tali chose a pod but Ash wanted to sleep on a mattress. Once Alenko and Tali were comfortable, Ash and I headed to the bunkroom.

I undressed quickly. You get used to the lack of privacy and one shouldn't be too modest. I kept on my underwear, but otherwise I lay back on my bed. I did glance to see Ashley undressing down to her underwear. If she knew I was looking, she didn't make a fuss. She was fit, very fit. An athletic shape to her body that made her a knock out immediately in my eyes. Couldn't quite figure out her bust size due to the sports bra, but when she bent over, there was enough cleavage on display to be slightly arousing. That's when she did meet my eyes, simply smirking. I just looked away though wasn't embarrassed.

Surprisingly, she hopped up onto the bunk above me, then peeked over the side. "Is every day like this with you, sir?"

"We're not on duty, Ash. Call me Shepard."

"Well?"

"To be honest, my life can be a little bit nuts at times. Past couple of days have been extreme though. You?"

"I'm used to boring postings on colony worlds."

"I mean no offence but how the hell are you still only a Chief?"

"My last name is Williams, Shepard. Think about it for a few seconds and you'll understand."

I did and all I could say was, "Oh..."

"Yeah. That's why."

"But it's bullshit and clearly unfair on you."

"Don't sweat it, Shepard. I'm used to being continually passed over for promotion. I know this is the level they will keep me at until... God only knows when."

"Think Anderson could help you? He's certainly helped me in the past."

"We'll see, Shepard. He was nice enough to get me posted onto this ship. Let's just see how things go first."

I yawned again. "Yeah, let's see what happens tomorrow first. Anyway, see you in the morning as I definitely need shut eye."

"You and me both, Shepard. G'night."

I slept like a log that night, my alarm waking me as always, though I pressed snooze at least once, Ash eventually climbing down and shaking me gently, suggesting I get up. After a quick shower and dressing, we joined Alenko and Tali for breakfast, more of the crew joining us with plenty of questions about what was happening. We gave them some details, as apparently the events of the previous day had made the news. My name may have been mentioned at least once, regarding the fight inside Chora's Den. I wasn't being blamed for Fist, though. I think I was being helped on that one.

Returning to the embassy, Anderson and Udina were waiting for our return, Udina informing us that the Council would meet with us first due to the seriousness of the matter. Garrus and Wrex met us outside and our group headed for the Council Tower. I'm sure we looked like a right group, a bunch of humans being followed by three different species. Garrus was muttering about finally taking down Saren, left feeling he really didn't like him. Wrex said we should just get a ship, find Saren, and kill him. Wasn't a bad idea, we just needed to find him first.

Riding the elevator, Wrex asked, "So, Shepard, have you heard of the Consort Sha'ira?"

"Yes, I have."

"Been to see her yet?"

Anderson burst out laughing at the blunt question, though he knew what I was like. "Haven't had the opportunity yet. Have you?"

"No, she's rather particular in regards to her clients, though some of the girls she has working for her are a real delight. Some will even put up with a krogan."

"What makes you think she'll see me? Add to that, I've heard she's quite expensive."

"But worth every single credit, Shepard. I may not have enjoyed an experience but I know many who have. Most become regular customers after the first time."

"You're not serious, are you?" Ash asked.

I shrugged. "I'm a single guy and she's not the usual standard of, um, working girl."

"Are you seriously discussing getting off at a time like this, Shepard?" Udina grumbled.

He had a point, so I shut up, Wrex rumbling with laughter to himself, Alenko glancing my way with a smirk as well. Approaching the Council chamber, we were allowed in as the Council was already in place, ready for us to start.

I know Udina loved having the Council over a barrel. It wasn't exactly an embarrassment for them... No, it was. Even though we'd had no evidence, Saren had played them for fools. To be fair, Udina could have gloated and crowed about what we found. Instead, all he did was present the evidence, and it was undeniable. The Council would have to throw him out now and leave him as nothing more than a fugitive.

The turian councillor immediately stated that Saren would be stripped of his Spectre status and efforts would be made to locate and arrest him. The asari councillor recognised the second voice as Matriarch Benezia. No idea who that was, though the councillor was polite enough to give all of us a brief explanation as to who or what a matriarch is.

"Matriarch Benezia is a powerful biotic, and she has many followers. She will make a formidable ally for Saren," she added.

The salarian councillor wanted to know about the Reapers. We told him what Tali told us, the salarian wanting to know what Saren planned with the Conduit. This just pissed off the turian councillor, who refused to believe that Saren wanted to wipe out life in the galaxy. I could just about see his point, but Saren was going out of his way to prove he wanted to end it all.

Basically, the Council didn't believe us about the Reaper threat, calling them a myth cocked up by Saren and Benezia to cover their own crimes. If they wanted to believe that, fine. Udina then made his demand regarding a fleet being sent into the Traverse to flush him out. That suggestion went down like a lead balloon, the Council dismissing it immediately.

Udina was well and truly pissed off by now. So was I. So was Anderson. Udina was just about to really let fly with accusations when the asari councillor offered an olive branch. Knowing what she meant, the turian councillor didn't agree, believing it was too soon.

"You don't have to send a fleet into the Traverse, and Udina gets his human Spectre. Everybody's happy," I stated.

The asari and salarian were immediately on board with the idea. The turian remained silent, head down as he thought. I assumed it would require unanimous agreement before he finally looked up and met my eyes. His nod was brief, but it was a nod of agreement.

"Commander Shepard, step forward," the asari requested.

Glancing at Anderson, he returned a brief smile and nod before I stepped towards the edge of the platform, Udina moving out of the way. I looked around and noticed plenty of diplomats and others in the crowd, leaning forward to take in proceedings. I guess I was at the centre of what was going to be a momentous day in our history.

"It is the decision of the Council that you be granted all the powers and privileges of the Special Tactics and Reconnaissance branch of the Citadel."

"Spectres are not trained, but chosen. Individuals forged in the fires of service and battle; those whose actions elevate them above the rank and file."

"Spectres are an ideal, a symbol. The embodiment of courage, determination, and self-reliance. They are the right hand of the Council, instruments of our will."

"Spectres bear a great burden. They are protectors of galactic peace, both our first and last line of defence. The safety of the galaxy is theirs to uphold."

"You are the first human Spectre, Commander. This is a great accomplishment for you and your entire species."

"I am honoured, Councillors," I stated, a polite nod of the head. No time for sarcasm or anything else at a moment like that.

"We're sending you into the Traverse after Saren," the asari explained, "He's a fugitive from justice, so you are authorised to use any means necessary to apprehend or eliminate him."

And that was it, the Council adjourned the meeting with little fan-fare, though there was polite applause from the galleries around us. Anderson shook my hand, congratulating me on my promotion, Udina already planning in regards to what I would require, suggesting it was going to take at least a few days before everything would be ready. I had no idea what he planned, so would leave it up to him and Anderson to sort out.

It had been a few days since I'd last had a beer, so I suggested, as a way of celebrating, we do just that. Well, the humans and krogan could drink beer, Garrus explaining on the way to a nearby pub that he couldn't drink what we did, and that turian brandy was a real delight. Tali was apparently the same as Garrus regarding what food and drink she could consume, and admitted she very rarely drank alcohol.

But we found a bar that would let us all in, including Wrex, who told me that his kind were often barred from establishments, though he suggested we should really hit one of the Wards another time. Thinking we might have a little time on the Citadel, I figured we could do it before Udina had organised whatever he was cooking up. No real idea, to be honest.

Alenko and Ash proved to be rather lightweights, the pair taking Tali back to the ship, who had about three brandies, the same as Garrus, before she practically passed out. It was rather amusing as the pair helped carry her out of the pub. That left me with Garrus and Wrex, the latter mentioning the Consort again. "You should go see her," Wrex stated.

"What? Now?"

"Sure, why not? I'll put it like this; when did you last get laid?"

"Hmmm..."

"And you, Vakarian?"

"Oh, um... I don't know..."

"Look, there's not just the Consort there. Lots of pretty girls, mostly asari but there are a few humans who work there now. Not all of them will just let you fuck them. Some actually provided other services. You ever fucked an asari, Shepard?"

"A couple. Same line of work, to be honest."

Wrex rumbled with laughter again. "They are certainly flexible during their maiden phase. Makes me feel like a dirty old krogan."

Garrus and I burst into laughter as I'm sure he could have got rather descriptive, certainly left wondering how old he really was. I knew asari lived for up to a millennium. I had a feeling krogan could live even longer.

I drained my beer. "Fuck it, if I drink any more, if I did end up going, downstairs won't work. You two coming?"

"Fuck yes!" Wrex roared, pounding the table with his fist.

Garrus looked a little awkward before downing his drink. "What the hell? Just... I'm not doing it in front of you two. That's just weird."

More time had passed than I thought, checking the time to see it was late afternoon. Arriving at the Consort's place, the receptionist was friendly but in a round about way told us to piss off, simply because the Consort was booked up for weeks. Wrex asked about any other girls, and before she could respond, the Consort asked for me to be allowed in.

Leaving Wrex and Garrus near the front, a couple of girls approaching them straight away, I was led through to the Consort's private chamber. I'll say right now, she was an utter beauty. No wonder she had so many customers. She certainly dazzled me, making sure I was sat down, drink in hand, as she curled up next to me.

"Word has spread quickly, Commander. The first human Spectre. I believe congratulations are in order."

"That's why we're here."

"Yes, but the reason I've invited you back here is... Well, I know you are a man who can get things done, rather obviously. I was hoping you might perform a small favour for me. Do this, and you will be richly rewarded."

I hoped she meant sex. I would happily take payment in sex. "What do you need me to do?"

"A dear old friend of mine by the name of General Septimus has taken to spreading nasty rumours about me. I'm hoping that you could speak to him, man to man, soldier to soldier."

"Do you know where he is?"

"Well, if Chora's Den has re-opened, you will usually find him there, drinking himself into oblivion. If not, you'll find him at one of the other numerous watering holes around the Presidium."

Chora's Den was still closed so, with a brief description, I found myself wandering around until I eventually found him around an hour later. My face must have been on the news or something as it seemed everyone recognised me nowadays. Taking a seat across from him, he knew who I was and guessed rather quickly why I was there.

I was surprised at the speed at which he folded. I didn't know a lot about turians but I knew honour mattered than anything. I understood why he'd flown off the handle but I told him to straighten himself up and started acting like a general. He remained silent before finally sighing, nodding his head, agreeing his behaviour had been unseemly, suggesting he would write a letter of apology to Sha'ira. But it wasn't that simple, as because of the rumours, an elcor diplomat had made an official complaint. I now had to go see him to ensure Sha'ira was left alone.

Convincing the elcor wasn't too difficult once I'd told him what Septimus had told me. I think he was left feeling more embarrassed than anything, though assured me he would remove the complaint immediately. I thanked him for his assistance, heading back out into the Presidium, where by now, night had fallen.

Wandering back into the Consort's Chamber, Wrex had disappeared while Garrus was being awkward with the asari who was sitting next to him. Asking where Wrex was, one of the girls told me that he was currently in a room with two asari. I chuckled to myself as I made my way to Sha'ira's private chamber.

She was delighted to hear the matter was resolved and so quickly. When it came to a reward, she told me that, to start, it would be a gift of words. Not knowing quite what she meant, she stepped close to me, allowing me to gaze into her blue eyes. She was very attractive anyway, but something about those eyes... No wonder so many men seemed to love her.

"I offer a gift of words, an affirmation of who you are, and who you will become. I see your skin, tough as the scales of any turian. Unyielding. A wall between you and everyone else. But it protects you, makes you strong. It is that strength that people are drawn to. It is why you lead and others follow, without question. You will need that leadership in the battles to come. This may be who you are, but it is not who you will become. It only forms the basis for your future greatness. Remember these words when doubt descends, Commander."

Then she kissed me, a soft one on the lips before she took a couple of steps back, reached behind her, and undid her dress, watching it pool around her feet. She was completely naked and I couldn't help run my eyes up and down her body before she stepped closer, her mouth eager for mine as I ran my hands up and down her smooth skin. Kissing was... well, it was rather unusual. Most girls in her line of work didn't do that.