Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 37

Story Info
A Mass Effect trilogy novelisation.
10.3k words
4.71
3.7k
8

Part 37 of the 69 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/11/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Book 2, Chapter 17 -- In the Shadows

*****

A/N -- After the smuttiness that was the previous chapter, a return to normal service. Oh, there's still smut, but it's not an entire chapter of it.

*****

There was no sign of Liara, but someone had definitely taken a shot at her. The apartment was a mess otherwise, though I think that was due to the detectives and their investigation rather than what the potential assassin had done. But it was the arrival of another asari, this one darker than I was used to seeing, who seemed to know all about me.

"Looks like someone tried to kill your friend, Commander Shepard."

"I don't go by that title anymore. Just Shepard. Who are you?"

"Tela Vasir, Special Tactics and Recon."

"Another Spectre?" I offered my hand, which she took immediately, meeting her eyes. They were pretty, and her hand was softer than I expected for someone in her line of work. "Nice to meet you." Withdrawing her hand, she then turned to the detectives and immediately dismissed them. I was surprised by that, but though they tried to argue, Vasir pulled rank, and I was eventually left alone with the two asari for company. Vasir appeared relaxed, watching her walk over to one of the lounges and take a seat, crossing her rather long legs. I sat on the other lounge, Shiala sitting close to me.

"Who is your friend, Shepard?"

"This is Shiala. We worked together when taking down Saren. She's visiting from Feros while I'm here."

"Ah, yes, you were an acolyte for the traitor Benezia, yes?"

"I was, until she chose to sacrifice me to the Thorian. I won't deny that our relationship has mended since then, though complete forgiveness is still something I am working on."

Vasir turned to me. "I'm not sure why you didn't just kill her, Shepard. Benezia, I mean, not the cute little thing beside you. She was a traitor to everything we stood for."

"I deemed her worthy of saving. And, I guess, it was a small favour for Liara." I paused before asking, "Surely you are aware of my own issues at the moment?"

"Of course. Every Spectre was informed when you returned, Shepard. But there is a difference. You work with Cerberus to save your people and, who knows, maybe the galaxy again. Benezia worked to destroy all of us. I think that is a substantial difference."

"Informed for what reason?"

The smirk that formed told me everything. "I understand the word treason may have been used. I don't believe in that nonsense, of course. Sometimes, Spectres must do what has to be done, push the boundaries, get their hands a little dirty from time to time. It comes with the job and responsibilities of who we are."

"Learning that every day I'm with Cerberus."

"And what brings you to Illium, Shepard? Apart from visiting Liara, of course?"

"While we get reports of Collector activity, we've hit a snag. So we're here to recuperate from the missions so far. Liara is an old friend so we're catching up."

"And you?" Vasir asked Shiala.

"I'm the one who contacted Shepard to come here straight away. I returned here to find no sign of Liara and detectives milling about. Of course, I was immediately concerned for my friend."

"And lover, correct?"

"You are well informed, Vasir," I stated.

She gave me another look, the smirk having not disappeared. "Come now, Shepard. No need to play innocent with me. Your reputation precedes you, of course. As for your asari friend, I find it hard to believe Liara doesn't believe she is monitored by those who still remain suspicious of her activities."

"Why would they be suspicious of her?" I wondered.

That made Vasir laugh. "She is the daughter of the traitor, Shepard. If it wasn't for the fact she was part of the great Commander Shepard's crew of the Normandy, she would have been persona non grata, forced to scrape a living at the very edge of the activity with her mother. We did find it bizarre that she was allowed to live on Eden Prime, considering her role in the attack on the colony. But that isn't why I'm here. Can you think of any reason why someone would want to take a shot at Liara?"

"Well, she is an information broker. Perhaps someone doesn't appreciate what she's up to?" Shiala replied, as we started to look around for evidence of where she might have gone.

"Anything else that would warrant someone wanting to putting a bullet in her?"

"The Shadow Broker."

That definitely gained her attention. "The Shadow Broker? My, my, Shepard. You do have some interesting enemies. Dangerous ones too, it seems."

"Mind if I call in a friend to help us look into this? He's former C-Sec. Would definitely have a keener eye for details than myself."

"No problem, Shepard. Whatever you think will help us find evidence of where Liara might have got herself too."

I messaged Garrus, asking him to head for the apartment immediately, not giving him all the details. He replied, stating he'd be with us as soon as possible. I wandered around the apartment, everything already familiar, but something was already tickling the back of my head. It wasn't sitting right. A little... too convenient almost. I show up, spend a couple of days, and suddenly someone is taking a shot at Liara.

He showed up no more than ten minutes later, and after introducing him to Vasir, he got to work. I tailed him around as his investigative abilities came to the fore. His first stop was the window, assessing what type of rifle was likely used, the bullet that would have been fired, the distance and trajectory. "A thousand yards, I believe," he stated.

"No shit."

"No blood around though. None of the floor, so it seems the first shot cracked the window and caused the barrier to fail, and that gave her enough time to move before the second bullet passed through the window. Both shots would have been successive, not even a second apart."

"So Liara, what, sensed the shot coming?"

"Sometimes, don't you have this sixth sense that just tells you something is wrong?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

For someone investigating, Vasir barely moved, leaving Garrus and I to wander the apartment. Shiala followed at a distance, and I could sense she was nervous about being in the apartment, and I was left feeling she didn't particularly like Vasir and her questioning, and insinuations. Walking into Liara's bedroom, there were the reminders of her life on board the Normandy, including a photo of the ship and the crew. Holding up the photo, it changed from the ship to a picture of what looked like Therum... or maybe Ilos? I couldn't exactly be sure, but I was left feeling it was Liara communicating with me.

Walking around the apartment some more, I'd noticed the artefacts in glass cases, though had been rather distracted by other business. But looking at the photo and around the room, I quickly found what I wanted. A hidden button, a hidden compartment, and a hidden data disc. I glanced at Garrus, who seemed surprised as I was. "Wonder what it is?" he asked.

Sitting down next to Vasir, I showed her the disc. "Found something."

"What is it?"

"No idea. But I guess it might be a lead. Shiala, does Liara keep an office or at least a workstation here?"

"Of course. Follow me."

A couple of minutes later, and I was sat at a desk, sliding the disc into the slot. It was video of a call that had taken place between Liara and a salarian named Sekat. No idea who that was but the call was in regards to the Shadow Broker. And it appeared Liara had been investigating his activities and the salarian was growing nervous. But at least it gave us a possible location of where Liara may have gone.

"Before we go, Vasir, I'm calling in some help. This is going to get nasty."

"Sure, Shepard. Whoever you want to bring in."

I placed a call to Miranda, Thane and Kasumi, telling them to meet us outside the Dracon Trade Centre. Vasir offered to drive us there, hopping into her skycar nearby, and she soon had us speeding in its direction. I'll admit I gave her a once over as she drove, and she definitely noticed me looking. "Are you distracted, Shepard?"

"No."

"As I said, your reputation precedes you." Garrus burst into laughter behind us though thankfully chose to not comment otherwise.

"Maybe I should learn about your reputation?" I offered.

That made Vasir laugh. "Shepard, you are incorrigible," Shiala stated from the back seat, next to Garrus.

I glanced back and grinned. "Well, maybe I am a little sometimes."

"Don't think I've ever been intimate with a fellow Spectre, Shepard. Play your cards right and maybe you'll get yourself a real treat."

"Spirits, you don't waste any time, do you, Shepard?"

"Life is sometimes too short, Garrus. Grab the bull by the horns."

Five minutes later, and she was pulling up outside the tower block. Garrus never went anywhere without his armour on and at least one weapon. Shiala had changed into her commando leathers and grabbed a weapon as well. I definitely gave her a once over, reminded of how good she looked back on the old Normandy. Heading to the building, we hadn't even approached the front door when there was an almighty explosion. Glass and building material rained down upon us, thankfully nothing big enough to knock us out or cause damage, but when we looked back up, half the building had disappeared and a fire was already taking old.

"Fuck... me..." I muttered.

"I hope Liara wasn't in there," Garrus added.

I turned to Vasir. "I'll take the skycar and head to the roof, Shepard. Make my way down. You head in, secure what you can."

As she took off, I didn't need to issue orders, weapons taken out, checked over, and we moved forward. When we found evidence that civilians had been shot, I sent a warning to Vasir immediately. She concurred the explosion must have been a cover up. Heading into the reception area, it was a mess, with bomb damage, flickering lights, and what sounded like trickling water. Miranda looked over the check in desk, reporting that Liara had only recently arrived herself.

Before we could move up, a grenade was thrown in our direction. "Grenade!" I yelled out, everyone moving quickly as it exploded. I felt the quick blast and shrapnel, thankful my shields took the impact though they failed just as we came under fire. Figuring the best form of defence is attack, I growled and charged, colliding with someone in armour, who I could only guess was an agent of the Shadow Broker. After eliminating him, or her, I ducked behind cover and surveyed. It looked and sounded like the Shadow Broker has sent a number of his people.

Quickly joined by the rest, we each played to our strengths as we moved through each floor, clearing every room we passed by. We found plenty of dead civilians, but thankfully a few lucky to be alive. Whenever we found a room with survivors, we told them to be quiet, remain where they were until the sound of gunfire disappeared, and to then head downstairs.

To be honest, if this was the best the Shadow Broker could throw at us, I wasn't going to be terribly worried about him. His people were no better than the mercenaries I was used to dealing with. Better armour and better weapons, sure, but I had no doubt they were financed well. But talent wise? Nothing special.

As we moved up, Vasir reported in that she was moving down. Arriving at the offices we need, forming up to either side of the door, I gestured to Garrus, counting down to zero, balling my fist, then we burst in, weapons ready. The reception area was clear, moving quickly through the next door, sweeping as we moved, and we found Vasir in the room after that, the body of an agent at her feet. Beyond her lay a salarian, and I could only assume it was Sekat.

"Damn it. If I'd been a few seconds quicker, I may have stopped him."

"We could have been too. Run into many agents?"

"Enough to delay my arrival here, Shepard."

I checked the body but he was now beyond saving, and there was nothing on his body. The office had been ransacked, and even his desk offered next to no hope, his terminal smashed to pieces. But while that was bad enough, there was still no sign of Liara. We hadn't found her body, so I was confident she was still alive.

"Well this is a dead end," I muttered in frustration, "No information and no sign of Liara."

"You didn't find her?" Vasir asked, "That's unfortunate."

"Looking for me?" asked a familiar voice. I looked up to see Liara at the door, her face one of unbridled rage, her usual pristine clothing wet and dirty, her pistol aimed at only one person in the room. Approaching Liara somewhat carefully, I raised a hand, gesturing for calm.

"Okay, Liara, take it easy. What's going on?"

"She tried to kill me, Shepard," Liara replied, watching her eyes narrow at Vasir. God, she is ready to shoot her immediately. I glanced to see Vasir was backing up though her hand was moving to her pistol. I wasn't sure she could draw before Liara pulled the trigger.

"You've had a rough day. I'll let that one slide. But I don't like guns being pointed at me. Why don't you put it down before you do something stupid?"

I looked at Liara. I wanted to believe her, but Vasir had been helpful. And I couldn't figure out what Vasir had to gain from any of this. "Shepard, I know she's in on this. Once I fled, I doubled back to my apartment block. She was the one who took the shot. She was the one who ransacked my apartment. She's the one who has been trying to kill me."

I'd always believe Liara, raising my shotgun, hearing other weapons readied behind and to my side. Vasir simply looked at me and smiled. "I have to thank you, Shepard. The perfect lap dog, doing all the leg work for me to find Liara. And all I had to do was flutter my eyebrows and show half an interest."

"Damn it," I muttered.

"She works for the Shadow Broker, Shepard. No doubt sent in by him once I'd discovered the true identity of Nyxeris," Liara stated.

"What, your receptionist?"

"Between your last visit and this, I increased the scope of my investigation, and figured out there was a mole in my company. I set her up and she took the bait. I've already dealt with her. And I knew the Shadow Broker was the one behind it all." She paused, stepping forward, amazed at how steady her pistol was despite the anger no doubt coursing through her veins. "She killed Sekat, Shepard. And, if I were to take a guess, she has the data disk I need on her right now."

"You're right there, Liara. Not that you'll ever get to see it. You pureblood bitch."

And, with those words, she summoned her biotics, blowing out any windows that remain intact before she flung an attack in our direction. Most of us managed to duck out of the way, but by the time I turned back, and hurled myself over the table, both of us falling out of the window. Thankfully, Vasir summoned her biotics just before we hit the ground, though I could have done without the punch to the nose she gave me, and we still hit the ground with a sickening crunch. She was up and sprinting away quickly with those long legs of hers.

Unbeknownst to me, Liara had also jumped out the window and tore after Vasir. I staggered to my feet and gave chase, reporting into the others what was going on. More Shadow Broker agents arrived, though these looked like normal run of the mill mercenaries, and I just growled and charged again, blasting away anything that wanted to kill me in return. My colleagues arrived quickly, and we wasted them quickly.

I could see Liara ahead, and when a skycar took off, I noticed Vasir behind the wheel. Chasing after Liara, she headed to another one, opening the door so I assumed it was hers. Climbing in alongside, Garrus and Shiala came along, telling Miranda to simple hotwire a second one and follow as quickly as possible. Once we were in the air, Liara's focus was solely on the skycar in the distance. Her face was set and, I'll admit, I was a little turned on by it. I did enjoy this side of Liara.

"She dies, Shepard." The venom in the tone even gave me a moment of pause.

"Absofuckinglutely. Shame about that. I was already thinking other things about her. Obviously."

"You were distracted, Shepard. I'm not criticising, but she knows your reputation and played up to it."

"It's always the pretty ones who want to kill me."

"Help me with this, Shepard, and I'm not sure what I'll do to thank you."

"Spirits, you're going to wear him out."

"Only after she's dead, Garrus. I don't like people who try to kill me, particularly those who try more than once."

"Always seems to happen around Shepard, though," Garrus stated. I glanced back and the bastard just looked smug.

"Could always stop and let you out right now, smartarse."

He shut up immediately, though as soon as I turned around, I heard a muttered comment to Shiala, who couldn't hide the giggle that escaped her. I shared a glance with Liara, who managed a tight grin despite her anger. Staring out the windscreen, we were definitely gaining on Vasir. Looking at Liara again, her knuckles were almost white as she gripped the wheel, her entire body tense, eyes almost daggers as we pursued Vasir.

I had no idea where in Illium we were, but we were soon slaloming between skyscrapers. More than once we came close to colliding with another vehicle, only missing by felt like inches. Shiala squealed from the backseat more than once, Garrus muttering that he wanted to throw up. I simply took the rifle from my back and got ready to fire when necessary. "Get me closer," I ordered.

"You going to shoot her or the car?"

"Get me close enough and I'll put a bullet through her fucking head."

She glanced at me for a mere moment. "Your attitude has changed."

"I generally don't like women who try to kill me, Liara. You, though, are exciting me quite a lot."

"Spirits, you two should just get a room after this."

"Oh, we will, Garrus once we've dealt with the blue bitch," Liara practically growled.

Liara somehow managed to get us close enough that I undid the belts holding me in place and I opened the door to the skycar. I received questions from all three of my companions before I shot out the hinges holding the door in place before glancing back at Shiala, asking her to hold me steady, before urging Liara to do the same thing. Once she was level and I was feeling confident enough, I stood and leaned out of the skycar, levelled my rifle, and fired three short bursts towards Vasir.

The first burst missed completely. The second seemed to skim the skycar, but made her jerk. The third burst hit right where I wanted. Within second, the skycar was out of control, nosediving towards a nearby tower block. I sat back into my seat and did up the belts as Liara surged after her. As Vasir's skycar seemed to crash land, Liara had to search for a decent spot to put us down.

Vasir must have been in contact with other, as by the time we'd all got out of the car, mercenaries were descending from other vehicles that must have been following us, or just happened to arrive at the right time. Garrus had his rifle out and blew the head off one immediately. Liara and Shiala linked up their biotic attacks. I took the shotgun from my back and got to work.

Miranda arrived with Kasumi and Thane as we were dealing with them, more mercenaries appearing, and soon the rooftop of wherever we were echoed with the sound of gunfire and the thump of biotics. More than one mercenary was sent screaming over the edge, Liara almost working alongside me at times, simply picking up and flinging mercenaries over the side in her desperation to reach Vasir.

It was a short fight, and Liara was simply far too pissed off to think of anything except get to Vasir and rip her throat out. I was inclined to agree with her, so once we'd mopped up the mercenaries, we moved on. Passing through an empty room, the large bed, décor, and pornography playing on the large vidscreen suggested we were in some form of hotel. Where the occupants of said room were, we didn't know. Probably hiding in the bathroom if they were smart.